AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-07-04, 22:54   Link #1
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Studio Bones and related discussion (was: Upcoming BONES sequels)

Darker Than Black 2 & FMA 2 - Explanatory link

This is getting taken seriously over on 2ch. Never thought I'd see the day, personally. DtB 2 I can totally understand, but FMA 2?
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 22:58   Link #2
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
This makes very little sense indeed, unless it's re-imagining to please all those Arakawa-fans who wanted the series to follow the manga (which I'm glad it didn't, considering the amazing direction it took in the end).
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 23:06   Link #3
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
This makes very little sense indeed, unless it's re-imagining to please all those Arakawa-fans who wanted the series to follow the manga (which I'm glad it didn't, considering the amazing direction it took in the end).
Quote:
(which I'm glad it didn't, considering the amazing direction it took in the end).
Quote:
amazing direction it took in the end
lol.

Meh, I doubt this is true.
The movie was there to attempt to give closure, wasn't it?
I haven't watched it, nor do I plan to, but there's little chance there will actually be a sequel.

Keep in mind that 2ch is like 4ch but with less English.
EDIT: Though it could be a remake for crazed FMA fans.
qtipbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 23:11   Link #4
aardvark

Darker than Black 2 I was sure was eventually going to be announced...but FMA 2????

We'll see I guess...
aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 23:12   Link #5
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
lol.
Keep in mind that 2ch is like 4ch but with less English.
To be fair, random rumors don't survive long on 2ch, and the people there are also pretty meticulous about making distinctions between guesswork and real leads. (Remember, this is a message board that's broken big real-world news countless times.) I'm pretty skeptical myself, but I had a hard time not thinking twice about it when I saw their reactions.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 23:12   Link #6
ZODDGUTS

Bah did not like how things got so emo towards the end for FMA, I prefer the manga were it doesn't get like that since I like those small comedy moments between the serious ones to keep it from becoming too emo.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 23:16   Link #7
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus IX View Post
To be fair, random rumors don't survive long on 2ch, and the people there are also pretty meticulous about making distinctions between guesswork and real leads. (Remember, this is a message board that's broken big real-world news countless times.) I'm pretty skeptical myself, but I had a hard time not thinking twice about it when I saw their reactions.
While I doubt it, there's always a possibility.
2ch has a pretty mixed track record, so that alone gives this more than just a tinge of credibility.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen Darker than Black to comment on it.
qtipbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 23:19   Link #8
wao
OK.

I just saw the leaked list on one of the sakuga threads at 2ch (8ex). I don't think even the most crazy fan would just make up a list like this (thankfully the ones I downloaded have the addresses blocked out, and it's made purposely a bit blur, but one with the addresses must have floated around...)

I mean heck, they have gradings and personal relationships listed on them!! This is like that other animators list that got leaked out some time back, except worse.

And yes, there it is - 入江泰浩, 鋼2監督...
which would be Yasuhiro Irie, director of Hagane 2 (=FMA 2)

Okay, and if this is a real staff document whoever wrote it was rather mean - looking at the comments on some animators it's awful. Like a certain F. Oizaki was given a B grade and written off as "RomiJuli director (lol)" Man.
Old 2008-07-04, 23:21   Link #9
aardvark

Darker than Black 2 really isn't that surprising, since Tensai Okamura himself said he was working on ideas on a follow up to DTB

But FMA 2 would really have come out of nowhere. Especially with Irie as director.
aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 23:26   Link #10
wao
OK.

I still would like to know where BONES gets all the funding/sponsorship though, it's not like DtB was a hit... oh well.

I can't believe FMA 2 either, I mean what? If this leaked list really is true and not outdated (doesn't seem too outdated), meaning this FMA 2 project has not fallen through, then I think some heads will be rolling very fast because I'm sure they wanted to be very secretive about such a huge property. Sheesh...

As for DTB 2 it says "ダーカー2準備中", wonder if it means it really will be made or what.

EDIT: ...is this really not made up? This is so evil. Under a certain M. Ando they have "Mukoh's director - flop" (無皇監督 ダメだった) and list him as... retired?! From what?
Bah.

EDIT2: I found the actual .xls document cache through a link someone posted. Yikes. This has to be a real document... It does have their addresses and everything. Wow, even I feel like axing whoever posted this, it's a document you don't leak out like that!

I think I better take any more talk about the document itself to General Anime though.

EDIT3: So I think there's two versions floating around - one is the .xls cache, and the other is a LQ set of 3 images with details blacked out or blurred. The former only stops at #296, while the latter goes on to #379 (but it's not the end of the alphabet, the full document would have more)
It says here that Hideaki Maniwa's doing the character design for FMA 2, with information from "Tanaka" that his drawings were most off-model in Eureka or somesuch.
(man, whoever wrote this must be crazy or something... Toshiyuki Inoue a B-class animator?)

Last edited by wao; 2008-07-05 at 00:14.
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 23:54   Link #11
Eclipze

A big o_O;....WTF?

I was under the impression that BONES was never one for sequels - there have been none so far, and its been like 10 years since they started?

Yea, I know theres the FMA movie, but yea, a movie...
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-05, 03:29   Link #12
Dreamiel
Rena X Keiichi FOREVER!

Wow............ this is crazy! FMA2?? I just can't believe it........... You all seem to think it would be a remake.... but how? Like just starting up where the anime diverged from the manga and making like, an alternate end or something? Isn't that like.... unheard of? (Kind of reminds me of the Hot Gimmick S light novel XD) I mean, it's not like they could continue where the movie left off, that was basically a done deal with the gate being closed....
Dreamiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-05, 04:02   Link #13
rg4619

Quote:
I was under the impression that BONES was never one for sequels - there have been none so far, and its been like 10 years since they started?
Remember that the conditions of the market aren't static. With the western territories (where Bones made a lot of their money) really beginning to suffer, business strategies have to shift.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-05, 04:25   Link #14
kujoe
from head to heel

I'm not sure if you can totally consider 2ch as a credible source for breaking anime-related news. However, once in a blue moon a few legit leaks gets to trickle in... I suppose a few industry folks lurk or participate in that site.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-05, 04:40   Link #15
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Thread moved from Unaired to General Anime forum.

We prefer that threads in any of the Anime Discussion sub-forums (e.g. Fansubbed, Licensed, Unaired) be about one specific anime series.

Generic threads such as this which is discussing a Studio really belongs in General Anime.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-05, 06:01   Link #16
Berserker

I don't know what to think about Fullmetal Alchemist 2. I loved the show and movie, and it is fine the way it is. It doesn't need a sequal. If this is true, I wonder what they will do. Simply remake the show and make it stick close to the manga?

Personally, I was glad they changed the storyline at the end so that it could actually have an ending, since the manga was still going, and still is I think. It would have been ruined if it just kept going with hundreds of episodes.
Berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-05, 06:39   Link #17
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
I'm not sure if you can totally consider 2ch as a credible source for breaking anime-related news. However, once in a blue moon a few legit leaks gets to trickle in... I suppose a few industry folks lurk or participate in that site.
Actually, there is quite a lot of legit stuff that slips through the cracks, it's just that it's usually minor information or stuff you can only confirm ages later. Obviously people don't try to leak things when they can. And I'm 100% positive there are a good share of industry folk who do use that site.

When something on this scale happens though, details might get fudged but as far as I know, they don't usually make it up. Someone had uploaded this elsewhere and pasted a link on 2ch, I think last time I checked they were guessing it was one of the production staff from Bones' Studio B, and some people checked the cache of the uploader logs or something and saw that the uploader comment at the time (apparently somewhere in June) was "bones saitei" or something. Going by the other rather nasty comments I'd gather this wasn't a very happy or pleasant person...

The real news here that 2ch is making a fuss about isn't so much the possibility of sequels than the actual "leak" though, as far as I can see. Because you have to realise that although it's written here, it could very well still be in the planning stage and go poof (and with this little uproar, maybe it just might) Of course, it's still news to know that they're planning it, but for some time it's seemed like people were clamouring more about the fact that it got posted in the first place.

It doesn't have production figures like the last time AIC figures got leaked on Winny (or was it share) but it has scathing comments like "cancer of the company" to a person who is honestly one of the biggest props behind Bones (he totally doesn't deserve it, but people are correlating this comment with a scan in Newtype showing the Bones office where Nakamura gets a special section and they're now wondering why)
And comments about certain main animators from Geass having a relationship when one of them is actually married, and so on.

In the end when the heat's died down a little I guess I think it really is at least semi-legit - you don't make up phone numbers and addresses and places of work like that, and the way it was written fits with the way industry insiders spoke about certain things apparently (for example the Stranger movie being called Mukou for the longest time in Bones as that was the original title) But I'm just thinking if whoever wrote this uploaded it out of hatred or to stir controversy, they might have just purposely added in the biting comments later.
The season 2s on the other hand... well, nobody's coming out and denying it unlike the time folks were guessing Yoshida Kenichi was doing the Xamdo designs, so time will tell. And people were guessing they'd do a DtB 2 anyway.

Maybe FMA 2 (if it is produced) will be like the new Haruhi thing coming out, a re-interpretation....
Old 2008-07-05, 07:45   Link #18
Katapan
俺様祭り

What really puzzles me is that this month's Animeland (basically the most popular French anime & manga magazine) actually announced that a second season of Full Metal Alchemist was in the works, and the information seems to correspond with that leak since they even mentioned that the series would get a new director (even though they didn't clearly name Yasuhiro Irie).

I didn't pay much attention when I read the article, as I don't tend to trust French sources anymore when they're not backed up by trustworthy Japanese ones... but could they actually have obtained the information before everyone else? That'd be a first.

In any case, this could very well be the best way to boost the ratings for TBS's Nichigo. Of course nothing guarantees the series'll air there (if there's a new series), but I reckon it makes sense to beg for a new season to promote the newly-created timeslot, since it worked wonderfully back in the Doroku days.
Old 2008-07-05, 07:47   Link #19
Satsuki Yuuhi Ramius

Send a message via Yahoo to Satsuki Yuuhi Ramius
Eh really FMA 2? Whoa i can't wait for it!
Old 2008-07-05, 08:06   Link #20
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katapan View Post
What really puzzles me is that this month's Animeland (basically the most popular French anime & manga magazine) actually announced that a second season of Full Metal Alchemist was in the works, and the information seems to correspond with that leak since they even mentioned that the series would get a new director (even though they didn't clearly name Yasuhiro Irie).

I didn't pay much attention when I read the article, as I don't tend to trust French sources anymore when they're not backed up by trustworthy Japanese ones... but could they actually have obtained the information before everyone else? That'd be a first.

In any case, this could very well be the best way to boost the ratings for TBS's Nichigo. Of course nothing guarantees the series'll air there (if there's a new series), but I reckon it makes sense to beg for a new season to promote the newly-created timeslot, since it worked wonderfully back in the Doroku days.
Well that's interesting news. Thanks for the link! I suppose if they talked to someone who knew a few things, it would've been let slip at some point... I mean FMA was a big, big hit for Bones and if they were thinking of making a season 2 it would be quite a big deal within the studio, and anyone who's gone in there a bit might have overheard it I suppose...

I'm not so sure whether it'll boost ratings though, people might get all disgusted with Bones now and most importantly they (or the marketing companies) can't handle pre-show hype entirely their way - now the cat's let out of the bag, when and if they eventually announce it really being produced the impact would be drastically lessened.
Then again maybe by the time that happens people would've forgotten about it by then...