AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-07-25, 17:01   Link #341
Somnus
Eh?

Oh wow, colour me impressed. Quite the active thread for something that doesn't even have preview material yet!

That being said...I'm not here cause...I, uh..."accidentally" watched this show when I was a kid. Yeah, that's it! *RUNS AWAY*

Really though, just like Kai this is another blast from the past I'm very curious about. This and DBZ were my first experiences with anime before I knew what "anime" was.
Old 2012-07-25, 17:15   Link #342
Jao
panchi~

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizro345 View Post
or, in Sailor Stars, the Starlights (she said she was "surprised" they were presented that way in contrast of the manga, didn't sound too excited)
Considering her interest in LGBT themes, I'm totally unsurprised at that. I mean, making them all genderswappers in the anime can be interpretated as denying Usagi her sexuality. That change is probably as detrimental to the source material as many in the english dub.
Hiding behind tinted glasses and doors.
Old 2012-07-25, 23:23   Link #343
xizro345
King's Justice

I always thought the Starlights were a poor attempt at trying to shuffle the cards once again - both in manga and anime - that failed terribly.
I'm not particularly kind to Takeuchi's writing, and those characters (among a lot of other things in Sailor Stars) are probably some of her worst creations.
Old 2012-07-25, 23:50   Link #344
Sakuya
*Artist

I thought I read during the press release event with the 2 voice actors in which they announced Sailor Moon 2013, the editor revealed that the anime and the manga were worked on separately, therefore that's why they both are a bit different? And because they were working on the series while it aired and everything was in a rush, that's the way it turned out.
Old 2012-07-26, 10:06   Link #345
loveluna4

Quote:
I'm not particularly kind to Takeuchi's writing, and those characters (among a lot of other things in Sailor Stars) are probably some of her worst creations.
Agreed...I'm the biggest moonie of them all, but her manga is so scattered and fast paced. There's almost no character development and the plot was just... fluff. Granted, it's fluff was one of it's more appealing traits when I was 14- but I appreciated how much more substance the anime had over the manga.

P.S. I'm totally rooting for some yuri tidbits in the new release!!
Old 2012-07-27, 09:47   Link #346
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Well technically speaking they weren't bad di per se. The story though... urgh. I remember also a lot of people didn't like at all how Ami was handled post-S, since she was one of the most popular characters.

I don't really remember anything that happened to her after getting the harp in SuperS. Was she even in Stars or given anything to do? I remember that season focusing pretty heavily on Sailor Moon, the Stars and Outer Senshi.

Anyway the Stars season for me in terms of general plotting actually comes up second only to S in terms of being interesting, but I definitely think that they spent too much time on the Starlights and Outer Senshi compared to the original. The only character from the inner senshi whose resolution I remember is Rei's when she does the whole fake fortune telling thing to help Usagi out and it's at last firmly cemented as to how she truly feels about their friendship.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2012-07-27 at 09:58.
Old 2012-07-27, 11:18   Link #347
Snuffle
likes cute things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I don't really remember anything that happened to her after getting the harp in SuperS. Was she even in Stars or given anything to do?
She had a personal episode with that starlight which had the name of a part of the female genital in her special attack. I think the episode was about some teacher and Ami lecturing that starlight about how important each and every life is.
Old 2012-07-27, 11:47   Link #348
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffle View Post
She had a personal episode with that starlight which had the name of a part of the female genital in her special attack. I think the episode was about some teacher and Ami lecturing that starlight about how important each and every life is.
Oh god I'd forgotten all about that.
Old 2012-07-27, 12:18   Link #349
Jao
panchi~

The only memorable thing about Taiki. At least Yaten was pretty.
Old 2012-07-27, 17:27   Link #350
xizro345
King's Justice

I barely had the strength to finish Sailor Stars. I think it was an abomination (though the live action version is actually worse, IMO), as it carried all the problems of the series, and it's pretty clear Toei didn't learn anything from it when they switched from Stars to Cutey Honey Flash.
Old 2012-07-27, 18:48   Link #351
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
I actually kinda liked Stars. I liked the more screen time for the Outer Senshi.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
Old 2012-07-27, 19:14   Link #352
Jao
panchi~

I liked Seiya and I liked the final few episodes. A couple of the Shadow Galactica were cool too, but by God they had stupid names.
Old 2012-07-28, 15:26   Link #353
xizro345
King's Justice

Stars is pretty much the entire series cliches repeated ad nauseam. The ending was, let's say, pointless. It made some big fuss outside Japan (considering how much it was censored here, and what's worse it happened over the course of a week due to a single comment) but even today I don't really care about that series.
In an ideal world I'd like a 26 episode series, cutting all the useless fat of the original and with actual character development for characters not named Usagi Tsukino.
Old 2012-07-28, 15:29   Link #354
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Stars is pretty much the entire series cliches repeated ad nauseam. The ending was, let's say, pointless. It made some big fuss outside Japan (considering how much it was censored here, and what's worse it happened over the course of a week due to a single comment) but even today I don't really care about that series.
In an ideal world I'd like a 26 episode series, cutting all the useless fat of the original and with actual character development for characters not named Usagi Tsukino.
I don't recall ever seeing past SuperS in North America, where was this that it aired outside of Japan?
Old 2012-07-28, 15:37   Link #355
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
I don't recall ever seeing past SuperS in North America, where was this that it aired outside of Japan?
I heard it was shown in the Phillipines and some other Asian countries, but is it censored in the West because of genderswapping ?
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
Old 2012-07-28, 15:40   Link #356
xizro345
King's Justice

It was aired in Italy, and it had mild censorship (I'm referring to Stars) until one psychologist said that it disturbed the sexual awareness of children. She later retracted the statement, but the damage was done: the anime was cut immensely and there were, let's say "creative" ideas to cover the idea of the Starlights.
Episode 200 was mostly cut adding a lot of voiceovers making the very simple plot a seemingly incomprehensible affair (especially when they added Seiya praising Usagi out of the blue).
Old 2012-07-28, 15:54   Link #357
delorean2200
ヒットハード&高速

Personally i enjoyed Stars, had no problem with it and the ending did not seen incompressible at all. But if there's one thing i agree is that they should have worked more on Sailor Star Maker at least... i mean the name of that attack its simply ridiculous...
Old 2012-07-31, 22:14   Link #358
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Whoa! Total nostalgia here! SM was the first anime I ever watched...heck, it was because of SM that I even knew what anime was.

I hope they animate Sailor Cosmos and not simply show her freaking shadow like in the original anime. <_<

Wonder if they'll choose to go old-school on the character design...really hope not.

Would have preferred new seiyuus for both Sailor Moon and Tuxedo Kamen but looks like they chose to use the same as original.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
Old 2012-08-01, 11:10   Link #359
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by delorean2200 View Post
But if there's one thing i agree is that they should have worked more on Sailor Star Maker at least... i mean the name of that attack its simply ridiculous...
That used to make me laugh so hard Heck it still does XD
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2012-08-01, 16:46   Link #360
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that the american dub is an editing using the mexican dub as a basis, which easily predates it. (That practice is actually pretty common between Mexican dubs and US dubs and works both ways, since eng & spa translators grow on trees, unlike japanese ones).

The first run of the series (as in, the whole lot of episodes since the first series to the end of Stars) was pretty much unedited except for some dubbing censoring (like voicing Fish Eye & Zoycite as female characters). The series was completely broadcasted several times through the whole bunch of countries in Sudamerica.

In fact, I'm gonna watch an episode of Stars in a few hours more and I have been following this current broadcast since episode 1 of the first series.
Closed Thread

Tags
remake, shoujo