AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2010-02-11, 13:55   Link #1
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Wireless cards and Ubuntu

I seem to have a knack for owning cards that do not work "out of the box" with Ubuntu (that require ndiswrapper and a fair amount of bjorking around)

I have two laptops (thinkpads) that need to work cleanly for fairly compu-challenged folk. All is wonderful *except* the wireless situation.

Can anyone recommend *specific* cards that are known to work with Ubuntu 9.10? I can get arm-waving 'chipset' recommendations from the Ubuntu site and various forums but that isn't really helpful when browsing Newegg, Amazon, or whatever.
Old 2010-02-11, 15:03   Link #2
SirJeannot
AT Field

speaking of chipset, beware of the latest atheros - as this is the most recommended card. ath5k and especially ath9k drivers need quite a bit of tweaking to work (debian testing on my side).

what type of card are you looking for?
usb/pcmcia/expresscard/minipci/minipci-e? this will greatly help narrow the choice.

my best bet - i mean mine right now - would be an intel 3945. it's been around for some time, is well supported and works out of the box. no injection possible but it's been doing the job perfectly on my x60.
Old 2010-02-11, 15:16   Link #3
Miles Teg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Can anyone recommend *specific* cards that are known to work with Ubuntu 9.10? I can get arm-waving 'chipset' recommendations from the Ubuntu site and various forums but that isn't really helpful when browsing Newegg, Amazon, or whatever.
The problem is that manufacturer like to swap chipset on their card and that make the choice for card very hard.

It's an (old) USB card but I know it works, and it's completely plug'n play with Ubunt 9.10.

NetGear, Inc. WG111v3 54 Mbps Wireless [realtek RTL8187B]

The important point is that it's the v3, the v3 use the realteak chipset for the other version I am not sure.
Miles Teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-11, 15:47   Link #4
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

aye, forgot to mention the "pcmcia" part. Yeah, I've been caught by the manufacturer 'chipset of the week' problem as well.

Just seems kind of silly that this rather large issue remains outstanding in 'linux-land' thanks to manufacturer flakiness.

My USR pcmcia cards I have a pile of are the 5411 model with BCM4318 internals... the base install half-recognizes it but fails. Using ndiswrapper will probably work but that seems to require a reboot (which isn't an option when you're 'trying before installing' the OS). Maybe this is an excuse to put Ubuntu on one of my flash sticks.... if the laptops will even boot from a stick. Hmmm, have to check that tonight.

Thanks for inputs-to-date.
Old 2010-02-11, 21:34   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I've had very mixed success with PCMCIA cards. One resource you might want to check is the Wireless LAN for Linux page from a guy at HP. I've also taken to searching the newegg listings for linux products. This TRENDnet card gets very positive reviews with both XP and Ubuntu and costs about $20. One reviewer says it worked OOB with both those platforms.

I tried an SMC and had mixed success. I run WPA-PSK2 here and have had mixed experiences where the Windows or the Linux side will connect but not both My living room box uses a Linksys USB adapter that has drivers in the stock kernel, but that's too clunky for a laptop.

Anything that requires ndiswrapper is a no-go for me. On new machines I generally stick to Intel since the drivers are open.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-12, 06:16   Link #6
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

If you are going to do any wifi auditing then check the application sites for support. Personally I use the aircrack site anyway because their table is very detailed in how the cards work for their product in linux

http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?...bility_drivers
Old 2010-02-12, 11:48   Link #7
SirJeannot
AT Field

In my case, i ve gotten excellent results with orinocco cards, which to my knowledge all atheros based. I m not sure they still manufactured though.
Old 2010-02-12, 15:52   Link #8
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Linksys USB Wireless G v4 works great with Linux and Mac OS X since it uses a Ralink chipset, which the drivers are open sourced. Any Ralink wireless chipset should work fine since Ralink provides open sourced and updated drivers for these wireless crads.
Old 2010-02-12, 16:05   Link #9
martino
makes no files now

RTL8187 <--- avoid this if you plan to do any torrenting. It no longer causes connection disconnects (thank god for those kernel fixes), but still drops down to 140kB/s after a few hours of use, and rmmod/modprobe gets kind of annoying after a while when you want the full speed back up.
Old 2010-02-19, 02:39   Link #10
Edgewalker
Nani ?

Internal laptop wireless cards tend to be fairly cheap and prone to failure anyways. I have been using a basic WUSB54G ( which did work 'outside the box' ) external card with my Linux laptop for a long time, and it gets twice the reception as the internal card.
Edgewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-19, 12:16   Link #11
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

I have used this Rosewill RNX-G1 dongle for my laptop at home, because its internal wireless card will not cooperate with my parents' router. Ubuntu uses it well out of the box.

I don't remember how it works under gnome-networkmanager (I believe it was really good), but it clearly sees the dongle after filling in the correct wireless interface in wicd (just say eth1 instead of eth0, or something).
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote