AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

View Poll Results: Penguin Drum - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 37 47.44%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 27 34.62%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 8 10.26%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 5.13%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.28%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.28%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-30, 05:12   Link #41
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina.Wolken View Post
Would it really matter if Shouma wasn't blood related with Kanba and Himari? They were raised together, he loves them, Takakura parents aren't around anymore... Might be a bit of a shock but after everything they went through, who cares whose son he really is .
When I said Shouma being the adopted one would be ironic and cruel, I mean it for Kanba.

EDIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shergal View Post

Spoiler for Also, for the smiles...:
That's an animation thing IMO. Not all the frames in that shot are like that, and when you see his face in the following shot he's clearly not smiling.
Old 2011-09-30, 05:28   Link #42
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
All that said, Kanba is not "good enough" either way, and Himari's fated one is most likely Mario, so the possibility of one of the twins being adopted seems more like a smoke screen than anything else to me.
The thing is that it couldn't be more obvious that Himari and Kanba have feelings for each other. This last scene with the hat, she doesn't reject him...rather, it seems like she stops because she knows it will kill him. I pair this up with the beginning of the episode, where she directly states that getting the Penguin Drum will break the fate they are bound to.

My speculation here is that Himari's "hat" came to change whatever the fates are of all of these people who are tied together, through the Penguin Drum. Unfortunately I can't really speculate about the Mario or Yuri's sides, since we're only getting glimpses so far. Sanetoshi especially is an enigma, but I'm starting to think he's going to be an, or the, antagonist of the story.
Old 2011-09-30, 05:33   Link #43
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
The thing is that it couldn't be more obvious that Himari and Kanba have feelings for each other. This last scene with the hat, she doesn't reject him...rather, it seems like she stops because she knows it will kill him.
So she didn't want to kill her brother, because you know, it's her brother, and that somehow proves she has feelings for him?

Sorry but I don't see it. Besides we still don't know what she really wants. Don't forget that at the beginning she was willing to take part of Kanba's life for the sake of achieving her goal. So what's her goal? What does she want?
Old 2011-09-30, 05:58   Link #44
Kirarakim

I know everyone is speculating that Shouma and Kanba are not really twins but just a confirmation were the subs right when their father only mentioned one son?

But yeah if someone is not the natural child, I would guess Shouma at this point too. Only because I definitely get the feeling despite Kanba being in love with his sister that the story won't actually end with them together. And I don't think Ikuhara is going to give Kanba a way out...

But Shouma not being related by blood is interesting too and I wonder where he comes from. What happened to his parents? But the idea that the father had a twin (hence we saw his face twice) is definitely a possibility. Still that would mean we are missing two sets of parents in the story, not just one.

Also as Yuumi-Chan says I hardly doubt Momo actually wrote that diary. That is not the diary of a little girl. So what the diary actually is, is still a mystery.

Finally I would say Kanba is not the red scorpion because he is not actually able to save Himari.

Anyways great episode....one of my favorites so far. Will Himari come back? I think so (and yes maybe even in the next episode). But even if she does come back I am sure it won't be permanent.
Old 2011-09-30, 06:33   Link #45
EroKing

Hard to say much from this image alone but the reason as to why exactly that tree died in the first place should be pretty important in the context of this series.
Old 2011-09-30, 07:09   Link #46
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
The animation/art style was noticeably top-notch in this episode, imo. It was almost like the opposite of Episode 10, in that regard.

The drama and suspense unfolded beautifully, and the pacing was great.

Kanba's unflinching dedication to his sister came off as pretty admirable in this episode.

Even if Himari/The Penguin Queen bounces back from this, I nonetheless consider this episode to include some pleasing plot twists. This is certainly not something I was expecting to see happen in Episode 12 after watching the first 11 episodes.

At one time, I was expecting the "Survival Strategy!" sequence would be used in each and every episode, and now I'm almost missing it. Ikuhara has done a great job of avoiding a pitfall that Star Driver fell into here.

That being said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Too many references and metaphors tied together. The scorpion story, black bunnies, and a "Mary Had a Little Lamb" that sounded a lot more like Adam & Eve.
Agreed. It's almost a gordian knot of mixed metaphors and blended references. I have different theories bouncing around in my mind of what Ikuhara could be aiming for here, and some of these theories are diametrically opposed to one another.

But then, I guess that's to be expected in an Ikuhara work.

9/10 overall, as it was a thoroughly enjoyable episode, but also a bit confusing.
Old 2011-09-30, 08:00   Link #47
Kirarakim

Well I expect things to still be confusing at this point. Although we did get information too.

Anyways I was thinking about Sho & Kan not being related and while I still think that theory is very plausible; I am also wondering if maybe the father only mentioned 1 son because Shouma had not been born yet. Maybe he was born much later than his brother (which can happen with twins). We do know Kanba is the older twin.

While it's true Shouma and Kanba don't look alike, they do have the same color eyes. Although that could be because they are cousins.

And it is also true that only Kanba & Himari had flashbacks with their parents so far. I wonder if that is significant.
Old 2011-09-30, 08:55   Link #48
lightbringer
M9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
At one time, I was expecting the "Survival Strategy!" sequence would be used in each and every episode, and now I'm almost missing it. Ikuhara has done a great job of avoiding a pitfall that Star Driver fell into here.
That pitfall goes back to Ikuhara's own Utena with the "Absolute Destiny: Stairclimbing". I'm kind of glad they subverted it here sine the rock'n'roll song isn't as catchy.

This episode reinforced my long-standing suspicion (well it's kind of obvious really) that there is a whole lot more going on in the background that we aren't aware of, both before the timeline of the series as well as ever since the first episode. I have no clue WTF really happened in this episode but I'm looking forward more than ever to where this is gonna go.
Old 2011-09-30, 09:01   Link #49
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

For God's sake... no...why....why Himari. Damn it, a week till next episode. Damn it.....

SO the pink hair librarian Sanetoshi is the Goddess,and those are two rabbits or something...?
Old 2011-09-30, 09:33   Link #50
YayPepsi

Quote:
I am also wondering if maybe the father only mentioned 1 son because Shouma had not been born yet. Maybe he was born much later than his brother (which can happen with twins).
I actually thought that was what happened. The thought of one of them being adopted never even crossed my mind until I read it here. Now I'm not so sure.

This episode made my Himari x Kanba loving heart happy...and then so sad. I should have known when we got a little more of that storyline, Himari would go and die! I liked their scene together when they were cooking, that was really sweet. I gave this ep a 10/10 just for that, and for his scene with the princess. (That scene was brain-meltingly hot and heartbreaking at the same time.) I know Kanba more than likely won't end up with Himari but damn I love this ship. XD;

Himari's death made me cry. T_T The dark bunnies and the weirdest rendition of Mary Has a Little Lamb just confused me, but this show is always confusing me in a good way. I can't believe this show is only gonna be 24 episodes, I wonder how they'll wrap things up. (Also, I always thought Sanetoshi resembled a rabbit...)

Last edited by YayPepsi; 2011-09-30 at 10:21.
Old 2011-09-30, 10:16   Link #51
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
But that's like raping Mayazawa's novel, you know. I mean, it's the total opposite to his message.

But who knows.
How so, Kazu? It's a form of self-sacrifice, even in Kanba does attach a sick sort of kinky obsessiveness to it.

I also have grave doubts that 2nd graders (what, 8 years old?) would be riding the subway alone, even in ultra-safe (ironic, but never mind) Japan. Really? That would also Make Tabuki about 24 now, and he seems a little older than that.
Old 2011-09-30, 10:19   Link #52
klare

half way into the series, Himari again...? i also wanna ask why, she is such a good girl, why her?

so Tabuki really liked Momoka, her face in the funeral picture is blocked, this leads to the possiblities of that she may actually be still alive

and the father said specifically that his son and wife are healthy, so i guess they are not real twins too
Old 2011-09-30, 10:34   Link #53
Nikkan

Just something I thought of (might be a longshot)
Spoiler for spoilers:
Old 2011-09-30, 11:09   Link #54
Nina.Wolken
~~N/F~~

Quote:
I also have grave doubts that 2nd graders (what, 8 years old?) would be riding the subway alone, even in ultra-safe (ironic, but never mind) Japan. Really? That would also Make Tabuki about 24 now, and he seems a little older than that.
So people stop wondering : elementary kids totally ride metro and trains by themselves to go to school in Tokyo. Usually not alone, at least by pairs but if one doesn't show up like in this case, they may go alone, exceptionally. Except for kinder-garden kids, never saw any adult accompanying them.

To be honest, it always scares me to no end how they tend to play on the platform, running everywhere... ^^'''

Also Tabuki does look in his mid-twenties to me.
Old 2011-09-30, 11:15   Link #55
Kazu-kun

Quote:
How so, Kazu? It's a form of self-sacrifice.
Self-sacrifice is not the point per se. What set Campanella apart in the novel is that he risked his life for someone who was a pretty nasty person, not one of his loved ones. The point of his act is the altruistic nature of it, not the sacrifice itself.

The tale of the red scorpion parallels Campanella. It's a tale about the value of living (and dieing) for the sake of others (in general, not a loved one specifically).

You see, Miyazawa wrote this novel to get over the death of his sister, whom he loved deeply. The only way for him to overcome his grief, was to see his sister's death through Christian lenses, believing there was a higher purpose to her death, that it was a form of self-sacrifice. That's why he puts so much value on altruism, the sacrifice motivated not by personal attachments, but rather by your willingness to devote yourself to others.

Note that at the end of the novel, Campanella's father gets over the death of his son surprisingly quickly, and proceeds to invite Campanella's friends to his house, for the purpose of cheer them on, even though it should be the other way around. Again, altruism.

In a sense, it's a pretty demanding novel, since most people can't be like that. We may risk our lives for our loved ones, but to put everyone else before ourselves, that's really tough.

EDIT: Incidentally, the tale of the red scorpion is also about accepting death instead of struggling against it. This too is the totally opposite to what Kanba is doing!!

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2011-09-30 at 17:44.
Old 2011-09-30, 11:28   Link #56
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

Quote:
Doubts about what? It's written there in Tabuki's school badge/tag.
I guess, I've miss it.

@Kazu-kun
Quote:
To me he looks really, really messed up, taking the weird as fuck smiling on this ep and his penguin actions, plus the fact we don't know even a single bit of his backstory (we know some of the events that defined Kanba's and Himari's personality, and we know the full story for Ringo, but we've got nothing like that for Shouma).
I don't believe I posted this comment in this thread, are you sure its mine or made-up?
Old 2011-09-30, 11:34   Link #57
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Just a few things i want to point out. The setting of this anime could be about a parallel universe but still used the 1995 Sarin Atttack elelments. Because it seems the attacks used explosives or some sort, and in Momoka'scase"there is no trace of her left" other than the diary. The attack could be some fantasy soul capture weapon instead of actual terrorist as well.Maybe they have some deeper meaning than just to cause terror.

Secondly, the hint that Shouma and Kanba are not twins may be a translation mistake. Need some Japanese expert to confirm on this. But based on what i heard, the dialogues simply just:
  • Oh they/he/she was born?
  • Boy(s)?
  • How's my wife?
  • Both of them are healthy?

So the hint about only one boy was born, and someone also have a child that day,might be a translation misleading. But one again, my Japanese is just average, so need someone check on it
Old 2011-09-30, 11:41   Link #58
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
So the hint about only one boy was born, and someone also have a child that day,might be a translation misleading.
Only one boy was born, but ther rest seems to be a problem of translation. Although I didn't know there was people thinking Kensan mentioned someone else having a child. He only talks about her wife and the boy she had.
Old 2011-09-30, 11:44   Link #59
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
About Sho...

You know, falling for a somewhat psychopathic yandere might say something about Sho himself.

Takes one to know one, and all that...

Wouldn't it be something if Sho himself was revealed to be mentally deranged in some yet-to-be-seen way.
Old 2011-09-30, 11:46   Link #60
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Only one boy was born, but ther rest seems to be a problem of translation. Although I didn't know there was people thinking Kensan mentioned someone else having a child. He only talks about her wife and the boy she had.
What exactly did he say that we can be sure only a boy was born?

I heard he said something like this:

Umare mashitaka? Otoko no ko ka?

Which does not specify on number (1 in this case) was born