AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2007-06-12, 14:00   Link #101
Mueti
あ!

Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
Mahoraba is NOT licensed? Seriously? Wow, that's really beyond comprehension...not that I know a whole lot about how licensing and distributing works but quality hardly can be the most important factor if such a great story is left out. The characters could hardly have been portrayed any better. The art is fantastic. It's hilariously funny and at the same time has some very moving moments. And overall it just feels complete and "real". I can't come up with a better word but it was something I also strongly felt when Momo suddenly announced that she would be leaving. Your quote about buddhism really puts that well. And yet there's no exaggeration, nothing over-the-top anywhere.

And yet it hasn't been licensed...what a strange world we live in.... ^^
Old 2007-06-12, 14:49   Link #102
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueti View Post
Posutaru WORK and Kanon & Air are both only one volume, right? I think it won't hurt to invest the ~1500? when I place my next order (even though I'm not quite sure about the Kanon+Air theme but I'll trust you on that one ). ^^
Rikujou Boueitai Mao-chan sounds really cheesy. Also not all volumes are available on amazon.jp, so I think I'll skip that. :P
*still in need of a new great ~10 volume series to spend some weeks on*
edit: It's not like I didn't look for myself. ^^ I thought about ordering ARIA, you don't happen to know it? If you do: is it good (and finished or still ongoing)? =D
Excuse me while I say... OMFG YAY! I've finally converted someone to the wonderful goodness that is PW. [*dances like a sponge*]

Yes, one volume each. Will not break the bank. Good-ness.

I think liking Kanon & AIR will really depend on if you liked the characters in the two anime or not... I know some people just dismissed certain girls (especially Misuzu) as being retarded, and if they really feel that way, I don't think they'd like this manga at all... I know it's not for everyone, but it's worth a shot, IMO.

The only longish series I'm currently following is Rozen Maiden, and that's only at volume 7 right now... and it takes ages for a new release. *shiku* ;_;

ARIA = love. I haven't been following the manga faithfully, but I've heard that the manga is even better than the anime (which is my favorite series) - I've read volume one and the prequel (AQUA), and I have to agree so far. I gave PW a 10/10 for heartwarmingness, but ARIA is somewhere in the depths of 20/10. XD There are tiny comedic moments here and there, but it can't really be called a comedic series... Last I checked, it's still ongoing, but it's definitely a series that can lend itself to just going on and on.. there's no set storyline, and the way the individual stories are presented leave the reader (IMO) wanting to read more and more.

Ooh, a little over a month ago, I e-mailed every NA manga licensing company about Mahoraba (except for Viz... they don't list an e-mail addy to contact about questions). I've only received one reply, and that was from ... I think it was Tokyopop, but I could be wrong. Anyways, I think it's clear none of them care what an individual fan thinks. (I was hoping to get at least a few coupons from it.) D:
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-12, 16:33   Link #103
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
Ooh, a little over a month ago, I e-mailed every NA manga licensing company about Mahoraba (except for Viz... they don't list an e-mail addy to contact about questions). I've only received one reply, and that was from ... I think it was Tokyopop, but I could be wrong. Anyways, I think it's clear none of them care what an individual fan thinks. (I was hoping to get at least a few coupons from it.) D:
I've got a string over at TOKYOPOP I might be able to pull (can't believe I didn't think of this before) for Mahoraba, so maybe I'll drop them a line. It probably won't do much, but it's worth a shot.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-12, 17:43   Link #104
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'll send one as well... maybe it'll pop just above their radar screen with a small deluge.
Old 2007-06-12, 17:52   Link #105
UPR

why do they have to stop one volume short of the end o desperate for someone to translate the last chapters someone
UPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-12, 18:13   Link #106
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'll send one as well... maybe it'll pop just above their radar screen with a small deluge.
Good idea. The more people that send them letters about it, the more attention it will draw.
This includes everyone else that reads this
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-12, 19:53   Link #107
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

You two have made me all happy now. <3 I think I should send another letter, and this time I'll use snail mail.

It doesn't appear that Hiyoko no GAO (cute name!), the group scanlating Mahoraba, has dropped the series. So the wait for releases would be due to the individuals in the group actually having lives... In fact, they all seem *VERY* enthusiastic about the series (look at their forums and chan name - it's #Mahoraba!)
Old 2007-06-12, 20:07   Link #108
ellifeedn
Thinker

Do you think one of the reasons why it isn't licensed is because there are drinking references?
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-12, 20:14   Link #109
UPR

if that's the only reason they would be many but many other anime's and manga's not licensed
Old 2007-06-13, 00:17   Link #110
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
Do you think one of the reasons why it isn't licensed is because there are drinking references?
I think half the anime and manga out there involve drinking.... so no.

I think it simply dropped off the radar because its not "easy to label".

Its definitely a romance comedy..... but a very quirky one with somewhat unusual art. Some people have speculated Kozue's psychological condition is to blame, but I think it is more a case of just slipping between the genre cracks.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-06-14 at 20:18.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-14, 19:45   Link #111
UPR

after reading to chapter 57 i wish they would make 13 ep second season or at least a 3-4 OVA to complete it
Old 2007-06-20, 11:13   Link #112
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
It doesn't appear that Hiyoko no GAO (cute name!), the group scanlating Mahoraba, has dropped the series. So the wait for releases would be due to the individuals in the group actually having lives... In fact, they all seem *VERY* enthusiastic about the series (look at their forums and chan name - it's #Mahoraba!)
You're right, they haven't because Volume 12, Chapter 58 has just been released in the usual places!

Great chapter! Some needed backstory that clears up a few things...

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-20, 11:51   Link #113
UPR

yeah since it was a bigger chapter than the rest it took longer to translate anyway thanks to them and can't wait for the other chapters that are left
Old 2007-06-20, 12:48   Link #114
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
I doubt it. There are plenty of manga and anime with similar drinking characters in them. Two examples right off hand are Kitsune from Love Hina and Tina Foster from Ai Yori Aoshi, who are both hard-drinking party girls, just like Momo in Mahoraba.
mdauben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-20, 14:16   Link #115
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
You're right, they haven't because Volume 12, Chapter 58 has just been released in the usual places!

Great chapter! Some needed backstory that clears up a few things...

That's great! I get excited when I see there are new posts in this thread. XD

Dog: Snack! Snack! *runs to get it*
Risaa: New Mahoraba posts! New Mahoraba posts! *runs to click it*
Old 2007-06-20, 14:48   Link #116
UPR

like i said before they should do at least an OVA to fully complete o man can't wait for the last few chapters
Old 2007-06-21, 11:29   Link #117
Mykas
Wu Di Jin Gang Tui

Quote:
Two examples right off hand are Kitsune from Love Hina and Tina Foster from Ai Yori Aoshi, who are both hard-drinking party girls
You can't forget Saotome from Suzuka which is probably the most posted about and watched manga on this board. (the numbers never lie)
Old 2007-06-21, 22:49   Link #118
ellifeedn
Thinker

Maybe someone has to tell (aka e/mail) a licensing company like Tokyopop about this series. This one seems to be up their alley.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-21, 23:47   Link #119
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

I've done it and gotten a friend to do it, and I believe a couple others here have also pinged Tokyopop (have you, too?).

What makes me tick, more that it not being licensed, is not understanding why it's not licensed. I just don't get it... what does it take for a company to license a decently popular title?
Old 2007-06-22, 00:21   Link #120
Robotnik
Not a member

I don't think potential licensers are unaware of Mahoraba, I agree more w/ Vexx in that it's just one of those properties that's slipped between the cracks. Or they may not think it's the right time to gamble on a fairly lengthy "slice of life" series (26 anime episodes [~5 DVDs] and 12 volumes manga). As much a fan of the manga as I am, Kojima-sensei's art is a bit lacking and I won't bet on how it will do with American manga buyers used to pretty art. On the other hand, I think the *anime* would do well in that regard...

FWIW most of the manga titles I recall being recently licensed/released in English are on the short end (2-6 volumes), which is why I think companies are being careful and playing things safe right now. I've also read elsewhere that Square Enix are "difficult to license from" (which I suppose could mean anything from wanting more $$$ up front, or making specific demands on how the property will be treated, etc.), but that may have been said w/ regard to a "cash cow" title like FMA.
Robotnik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
romantic comedy, shounen, slice of life