Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2011-03-16, 02:04   Link #1781
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
http://www.madoka-magica.com/news/

This week's Madoka ep11 has been officially delayed. No station will air it this week.
Wouldn't the economy want these shows to air?
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 02:14   Link #1782
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
I don't think it's a matter of not wanting them to air, but that these episodes can't be completed on time first and foremost. SHAFT often has issues with deadlines, and with Tokyo's rolling blackouts, this probably doesn't make things any better for them. Plus, TV stations also have to bear with the blackouts. And on top of that, SHAFT had its office shaken up quite a bit during the quake, so getting them to get it done on time was probably wishful thinking.
Old 2011-03-16, 03:07   Link #1783
xizro345
King's Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
Sometimes the image you want to show is more important. IREM totally cancelled a game in production for years (Zettai Zetsumei Toshi, or Disaster Report) for the same issues, and this will likely impact the company in a very negative way. Same for Madoka, I guess. Nico streaming of episode 10 is still happening, though. I personally have my own issues about these decisions, but with all the mass hysteria (not completely justified) that is going around now, it had to be expected.
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 04:24   Link #1784
pinoscotto

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...self-restraint
pinoscotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 04:40   Link #1785
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
http://www.madoka-magica.com/news/

This week's Madoka ep11 has been officially delayed. No station will air it this week.
That will be perfectly understandable, considering the grave circumstances the Japanese are facing right now.

But perhaps the indefinite delay may allow Shinbo, Gen and the rest of the crew to do a bit of extra tweaking on the final two episodes.
Old 2011-03-16, 05:47   Link #1786
MaiNoKen
◕ ‿‿ ◕
*Scanlator

Considering the immense success they got from the series, 11 and 12 will eventually air - probably just 1 week delay. The news release also states Nico Nico Douga cast for 10 be will be aired as previously scheduled.

Anyway, this may imply 11 be quite depressing ^^: In the past, School Days episode had been intentionally delayed before due to stabbing incidents. They are more important and larger anime events are actually canceled/delayed as well.

I am sure Japan and the anime industry will bounce back from this unprecedented disaster. Just give them so time.
MaiNoKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 06:37   Link #1787
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
I don't think it's a matter of not wanting them to air, but that these episodes can't be completed on time first and foremost. SHAFT often has issues with deadlines, and with Tokyo's rolling blackouts, this probably doesn't make things any better for them. Plus, TV stations also have to bear with the blackouts. And on top of that, SHAFT had its office shaken up quite a bit during the quake, so getting them to get it done on time was probably wishful thinking.
I honestly doubt it has anything to do with production. Madoka is suppose to be their ace in the hole and that means they are not going to let it go "Mt Fuji". I'm pretty sure they finished the episodes already. Last time I heard they were doing Maria.
Old 2011-03-16, 07:09   Link #1788
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
I don't watch this series but if I'm interpretting this correctly, according to ANN Madoka will still air on Noitamina as scheduled.

Old 2011-03-16, 07:37   Link #1789
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
I don't watch this series but if I'm interpretting this correctly, according to ANN Madoka will still air on Noitamina as scheduled.

No, Madoka and noitamina has no relations with each other whatsoever.
Old 2011-03-16, 07:58   Link #1790
MaiNoKen
◕ ‿‿ ◕
*Scanlator

noitamina is special time block for a specific network (Fuji TV). Madoka is being screened on 3 other networks (MBS, CBC, TBS) which are in no association with Fuji TV. Both TBS and Fuji are Kanto (Tokyo area networks) stations.
MaiNoKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 08:30   Link #1791
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

I think the question that begs to be asked at this point is, if the creators of the series were planning on an ending that would be bittersweet at best (if not worse) could these recent events cause them to revise it to something less controversial or more uplifiting? Since ep11 is being delayed anyway, they could decide to delay things a little further and take the opportunity to go back and re-do the ending if they so wished.

On the one hand there is the argument for artistic integrity and not wanting to compromise the story or the creators' vision for the series just to kowtow to critics or to some sense of obligation to not present yet another depressing story given the situation.

On the other hand, however, consider that this is the worst set of disasters Japan has faced in recent history, if not ever. Thousands are dead or still missing, a nuclear power plant is on the verge of meltdown and people across the country are facing some pretty tough times coming up. Providing an entertainment product that's not going to give viewers any final sense of triumph or catharsis might not be such a hot idea.

I don't think one of these scenarios is more "right" than the other, but in my mind both are plausible. It all depends on the creators and what they want the final message of the series to be. All I will say is if they were moved to delay this episode out of a sense of self-restraint, re-working the ending isn't out of the question if it is/was originally intended to not be a particularly happy one.

Last edited by DJLowrider; 2011-03-16 at 09:17.
DJLowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 08:32   Link #1792
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Then I have no idea what the point of the update on that article was for, nor does it make any sense if it doesn't have anything to do with the topic. *shrug*

"Update: Kōji Yamamoto, Fuji TV's producer for its late-night Noitamina timeslot, reported on Twitter that Noitamina will still run its programming on Thursday as of the current schedule."
Old 2011-03-16, 08:41   Link #1793
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Then I have no idea what the point of the update on that article was for, nor does it make any sense if it doesn't have anything to do with the topic. *shrug*

"Update: Kōji Yamamoto, Fuji TV's producer for its late-night Noitamina timeslot, reported on Twitter that Noitamina will still run its programming on Thursday as of the current schedule."
The talk among people was about shows being postponed and although the article was mainly about Madoka it also wanted to answer questions about noitamina.
Old 2011-03-16, 08:43   Link #1794
Keefer

Lol.

Quote:
Noted anime director (most recently for Fractale) Yamakan has lived up to his reputation for outspokenness with a condemnation of the wave of vaguely earthquake -induced anime cancellations.

The missive was of course delivered by Twitter:

There’s no need for “self-restraint” with anime. There is no need to cancel Madoka. Now of all times, anime must keep crying out the truth of humanity.
http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2011/0...ing-our-anime/ (NSFW)

http://twitter.com/#!/yamacane_0901/...77243179368448
Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 08:56   Link #1795
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Yamakan is being a real man here. Despite Madoka sorta kinda stole the spotlight of the season and him promising to retire when Fractale doesn't do good, he's speaking for the industry. Now as a fan of the series seeing the episode get postponed is kinda hard to swallow but when all the stop needs to get pulled, all the stops need to get pulled.

I just hope they don't change anything with the ending because of the stuff going on. It's be horrible if it turns out the ending actually involves Homura nuking Walpuris like what everyone was talking about.
Old 2011-03-16, 08:58   Link #1796
Dark Wing

Well it was a fun ride while it lasted...

Now we wait.
Old 2011-03-16, 09:13   Link #1797
xizro345
King's Justice

I don't expect any changes in story etc. I doubt SHAFT has time for this. Most bleak scenario would be DVD/Blu-Ray only. I think people are overexxagerating again using Gen's fame.
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 09:44   Link #1798
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

I don't know if anyone here read this yet so I'll post it:
These are tweets from Urobuchi regarding the delays for 11 and 12.

I thought I don't want to Tweet about Madoka again, but since the situation in the world is pretty gloomy, I should tweet so everyone can wipe out their unnecessary pessimistic views.

So for Shaft, they're really working hard to the last minute in order to improve the quality of the work. For the past few episodes, I've received the episode sample on the Kansai's broadcast night. In other words, few hours before actual broadcast.

Within that critical moments, there's this earthquake. They have to turn the table back to where it was in order to resume the work. To be honest, I thought "oh god episode 11." If it continue like this, it can't be help if the finished work is disappointing.

So I'm sorry for all viewers who look forward to the episode. But I'm relieved. This means they can give more time to the part where difficult animation is required in episode 11 and 12. It's going to be fine this way!

So from my mail exchange with producer Iwakami, he is working hard at the moment to present everyone a fine last two episodes. So I'm now relieved. There's no more worries regarding Madoka.

Obviously I'm million times more worried about the wretched state at the hit area, and also worried about nuclear plant. Madoka and my hard disk is perfectly fine when compared to them. All is left is to relax and wait for announcement regarding broadcast schedule adjustment.
Old 2011-03-16, 09:47   Link #1799
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Well, it's at least good to hear that SHAFT intends to make good use out of this extra time, and amp up the animation quality for the final two episodes.
Old 2011-03-16, 09:56   Link #1800
Seihai
スマイリウム

One thing I love about the guy is how besides being a really reputational writer and all he still acts sympathetic and like a good pal to everyone.

Tags
despair, hope, madoka magica, magical girl, urobuchi gen