AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-04-06, 16:44   Link #1
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Bird Flu

Right then...

Some people may remember my old Avian flu thread from last year? Yes/No? Who cares?

Anyway, the last time we spoke of the epidemic it was still a fair way away from us Brits. Not anymore. We are now the 31st stricken country.
Just today, they found a dead infected Swan! (Well I'm shitting it.) Over the past few months, I've been doing a bit of research. Fact is, said Sawn was indeed infected with the deadly strain known as H5N1. Fact is, if this thing goes off as I think it will the worst-case scenario for a H5N1 pandemic is something like 150 million human deaths, or potentially three percent of the world's population. Maybe more.

They’re saying don't panic but I believe every era has a notorious population divider. This is ours...

Dum dum dummmm.
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-06, 16:48   Link #2
Tabris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay
I think it will the worst-case scenario for a H5N1 pandemic is something like 150 million human deaths, or potentially three percent of the world's population. Maybe more.
1 in 42 sounds so much more worse in my opinion. It makes you realise that you quite a fair number of people you know could do according to the max stats.

I hadn't checked the news since I got home, so I wasn't aware that the Swan had H5N1. Not a good sign.

I said to my friends I'd probably intentionally infect myself to show them how invincible I am.
Tabris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-06, 17:03   Link #3
JanthraX^
Ace Archer

i think the media is causing some problems here, i belive this getting blown outta proportion here, and the media is fueling it.
Bloody ITV News has set up a 'Bird Watch' to keep track of the deveolping threat to the UK's health.
Im not worried atm, yet tho, i may change my mind when people in the UK become infected.
Also only a few days ago the government carried out a scenario where farms had been infected in norfolk and yorkshire to test the organistion and response of the various organistaions, apparently it went well but they needed to improve communication between groups.

1 solution me and my friends have thought up is to make system of overlapping goalkeeper guns

along the coastline to protect our shores from the birds of doom =D
JanthraX^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-06, 17:04   Link #4
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris

I said to my friends I'd probably intentionally infect myself to show them how invincible I am.
I see you're taking this news a lot better than I am. I 'm thinking of forking out for some sort of backyard bunker, I've already started rationing lol.

Don't you understand? Now that it's hit a country like ours it's going to be experimented on and played around with like Lego. Tis gonna be spayed onto animals and homeless people by the narcissistic gods of science in search for a potential biological weapon.

Tourism will fall to an all time low, and then 38 days later....

OMG! I'm such a pessimist!
Old 2006-04-06, 17:35   Link #5
Ryuu-Odjn
Lost...maybe

According to Real Radio here in Scotland, a further two swans were found dead in Glasgow of unknown causes (suspected Bird Flu).

I'm not really that worried. There's only been ~180 deaths worldwide from the disease, most from handling infected poultery and it hasn't found a way to spread from human to human either.

I see that ITV News has been living up to usual journalistic standards as well.

Quote:
Don't you understand? Now that it's hit a country like ours it's going to be experimented on and played around with like Lego. Tis gonna be spayed onto animals and homeless people by the narcissistic gods of science in search for a potential biological weapon.
Would we really miss Milton Keynes if that happened though?
Ryuu-Odjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-06, 18:57   Link #6
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

I have found this resource to be of value when researching some bird flu facts/myths for a client of mine:

-> http://www.fluwikie.com/

It's not a "professional" wiki, but it's chuck full of excellent information and/or links to good info. Here's a bit of a write up about the person that works on the site:

Quote:
Web Site Offers Alternative To Official Bird Flu Sources

NEW YORK (AP) - You can learn a lot about bird flu and the specter of a global human flu epidemic by checking official information from the government or medical groups. But thousands of times a day, people turn to a much different source.

It’s Flu Wiki, a Web site maintained by a 52-year-old writer who specializes in risk communication. It draws in part on contributions from people who don’t reveal their names, much like Wikipedia, an encyclopedic Web site that lets anyone contribute.

Why should anybody trust a source like this?

“I’m working with some of the best scientists in the country on the subject of pandemic influenza,” said Melanie Mattson, a northern Virginia resident who maintains the site. “If I have a question about what’s going on I ask them.”

And Flu Wiki, Mattson said, is “probably the most complete authority in English on pandemic influenza on the Internet.”
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-06, 19:08   Link #7
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Honestly, Bird Flu doesn't scare or worry me... What worries me is the US laboratory that ressurected the Spanish Flu and has been running developmental tests on it for the last two years. I mean, sure the prospect of 150 million people (3%) dying isn't pleasant but when compared to the Spanish Flu, it's a drop in the bucket.

In less than 3 months in 1918 the Spanish Flu claimed the lives of a conservatively estimated 40 million people (5% or the period's population) while some research indicates that 20 million may have died from the virus in India alone. However, when applied to today's society, with the vast amounts of international traffic and travel, the number would reach stagering heights. There is no known antibody for this virus, there is no vaccine in existence that can defend against it. The virus is so virulent it is able to jump species with no mutation or limitation by air, fluid and touch. Laboratory experiments have found that partially reconstructed samples of the century old virus was able to rapidly dispatch a variety of test subjects (mice, rats, birds, monkeys) under conditions where it was not supposed to be lethal.

Should one become infected with the virus, odds of survival are near zero at present. From period records, most die within four to five days of infection by drowning on puss filled lungs. Of course, the virus has, as of yet, not been completely reconstructed. It's still only at 50~60%. Pleasant thought, huh?

~180 to-date or the standing (and possibly ongoing) record of +40 million?
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-06, 21:50   Link #8
Green˛
It's bacon!

No problem really. We just let the republicans run their bat shit insane environmental policies, then give or take an few years, no more bird-flu problem. ...or birds for that matter.

/Involuntary impulse, sorry.

It'll probably hit around the North American continent eventually as well. Just sadly, my government's stance to such an crisis would probably end up being the equivalent of canned tuna and powered milk.

Anyone hear of this report yet?

I'll get back to work just in case true...

Last edited by Green˛; 2006-04-06 at 22:33.
Green˛ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-06, 22:16   Link #9
master-debater131

eh im not to to worried about it. im not over in england but i know its only a matter of time before it makes its way over to me. im not that worried. i figure if i get it then i get it and just do what i can to get better.........or die.........hopefully get better. but they were all worried with SARS and nothing huge happened there. so we really cant be to sure. maby it will never make it to humans, maby it will kill off half the population. who knows.
master-debater131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-06, 23:04   Link #10
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
More people died from the regular flu than this Avian Flu... Chances are low even if you come in contact with the birds carrying it.

Frankly they keep making IF statements like this "if it Mutates it'll spread human to human like wild fire."
Frankly most people are too scared to see or look up the facts.

Since most of the infected birds are killed post haste, the virus will eventually stop.

Btw you can eat infected birds as long its cooked well.
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-07, 00:08   Link #11
sophismata
いいえ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurz
Frankly they keep making IF statements like this "if it Mutates it'll spread human to human like wild fire."
Frankly most people are too scared to see or look up the facts.
Sophistry as an important tool in advertising and the media. Humanity as a whole is incredibly gullible, and this is taken advantage of.

Just ask this Scientician; he'll tell you that...
sophismata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-07, 03:55   Link #12
Animizzle
Cool as a Cucumber

Ideally, this would be a great time to invest in pharmaceutical company stock, and get rich over people's gullibility.
Old 2006-04-07, 04:02   Link #13
HoboGod
Necromancer

As always, there are two methods to deal with a problem like this: 1) stop watching the news and assume everyone is making a big deal out of nothing, or 2) get out your shotguns and wipe these son-of-bitches out of your ecosystem.

Although I'm sure there are less extreme methods in between those options, I'd love to see an avian genocide.
HoboGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-07, 05:20   Link #14
evil-samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboGod
As always, there are two methods to deal with a problem like this: 1) stop watching the news and assume everyone is making a big deal out of nothing, or 2) get out your shotguns and wipe these son-of-bitches out of your ecosystem.

Although I'm sure there are less extreme methods in between those options, I'd love to see an avian genocide.
I'll take the second option, thankyou ^^

Though really.. I'm not sure to be suprized or not. Its not like the media doesn't do this all the time with making a huge deal of events that aren't that bad, being compared to others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
Honestly, Bird Flu doesn't scare or worry me... What worries me is the US laboratory that ressurected the Spanish Flu and has been running developmental tests on it for the last two years.
Reading that is a bit worrying... just why.. do such a thing >.> The thoughts of Crazed nut-case scientists comes to mind.
evil-samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-07, 08:17   Link #15
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil-samurai
Reading that is a bit worrying... just why.. do such a thing >.> The thoughts of Crazed nut-case scientists comes to mind.
Begins prep for doomsday device.

Frankly I dont watch the news, I just read the newspaper. Since most networks live to sell fear to their viewers, I suggest reading since maintains a level of healthy skeptisim.
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-07, 12:58   Link #16
Tabris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurz
More people died from the regular flu than this Avian Flu... Chances are low even if you come in contact with the birds carrying it.
Normal flu doesn't have a 57% mortallity rate (so far)

Quote:
Btw you can eat infected birds as long its cooked well.
True, most people don't know this (amongst other things)

Just toast the tits off of the bird and you'll be fine. Undercook it, and you'll probably have salmonella to deal with too.
Tabris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-07, 13:41   Link #17
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris

True, most people don't know this (amongst other things)

Just toast the tits off of the bird and you'll be fine. Undercook it, and you'll probably have salmonella to deal with too.
Kinda like playing Russian Rooster?

We're all gonna die! Eventually....
Old 2006-04-07, 18:11   Link #18
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu-Odjn
Would we really miss Milton Keynes if that happened though?
We need a Chav Flu not a Avian Flu for Milton Keynes

Actually this is pretty serious, though not necessarily to the human population. Bird flu of any kind could decimate native species and spread to seasonal visitors: spreading it further afield to europe and africa during migration.

That would be an absolute tragedy for our ecosystem and countryside. Imagine not hearing blackbirds, larks or doves in the morning. Pretty scary when you think about it. I live in the country and this is more of a concern than it spreading to humans, which is pretty slim despite all the tabloid bullshit.

Also if it gets into our poultry industry we could have total lockdown of production which will result in a hike in meat prices or a total ban on poultry. Imagine that - no chicken or turkey.

The threat to humans remains pretty slim, but the threat to our way of life is all too real.
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-13, 19:41   Link #19
Newtyped
Gangsta Member

Send a message via ICQ to Newtyped Send a message via AIM to Newtyped Send a message via Yahoo to Newtyped
i live in the city,
i hope pigeons wont be carriers or im doomed =/
Newtyped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-13, 19:45   Link #20
Kata

Turkey

There was turkey loose in my town today took 4 cops, 2 hours to catch the rebel! He was clean, no paraphernalia(Turkey basters, stuffing mix, etc) was found, they let him off with a warning.
Kata is offline   Reply With Quote