Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-01-16, 10:22   Link #21
incorrupts
Banned

Send a message via MSN to incorrupts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingle View Post
On December 23 2012, I'll post here and say that this mayan apocalypse theory is all BS.
I might as well join you.
incorrupts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-16, 12:27   Link #22
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

I see the majority think this is all bull crap since the end of time was predicted several times before..

But is there anything more constructive like reports, studies or anything more rational like physics or fact?

And please try to keep your opinions constructive, if worthy.
Old 2009-01-16, 12:44   Link #23
Comrade
A fuckin' genius!

Quote:
On December 23 2012, I'll post here and say that this mayan apocalypse theory is all BS.
Why wait until then? I can say it right now - This mayan apocalypse theory is all BS.

If the end of the calendar means apocalypse then I should have witnessed how many apocalypses in my life ... 21? After all, my calendars only supply me for a year. But wait there's more!
I usually have two calendars at my house. Another one on my PC, one on my cellphone. Which means that I'm going trough FOUR calendars each year. Therefore I should be seeing four apocalypses every year, which brings me to a grand total of 84 ends of the world up to this point of my life. So far I have yet to notice at least ONE, not to mention the other 83.
By the way, this year I'm feeling suicidal. Why? Because I have 7!!! lucky calendars this year.
Old 2009-01-16, 12:47   Link #24
u43368
Disabled By Request

Planetary alignment? Ah, that just means it's time for another intergalactic showdown between Cthulhu and Hastu-
u43368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-16, 12:51   Link #25
Deadly Delusion

The Mayan calendar does not end in 2012. This is a common misconception. The Mayan calendar has "ended" several times already. It doesn't really end, we just enter a new age, a time of change. So 2012 is supposed to bring about great change, which could of course be shit being blown into pieces, but really, I doubt a bunch of druggies dancing around a fire would be able to predict shit happening nearly three thousand years in the future.
Deadly Delusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-16, 14:10   Link #26
klowny
OH NO

its another thing to get people scared of the world ending like before in the past
klowny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-16, 15:47   Link #27
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJOS'STAR View Post
I see the majority think this is all bull crap since the end of time was predicted several times before..
No, they think it is crap because it lacks any basis in science. The astronomy isn't even correct. It is junkfood for the brain. The term for it is "anti-science".
Quote:
But is there anything more constructive like reports, studies or anything more rational like physics or fact?
Nothing that supports any of it. There's a plethora of debunkery on the Net.
Quote:
I believe I met the constructive requirement...

http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/que...php?number=686
http://www.universetoday.com/2008/05...msday-in-2012/

http://listverse.com/miscellaneous/t...amus-debunked/
http://www3.fertilethoughts.com/foru...d.php?t=632119
http://www.bautforum.com/against-mai...debunking.html
Old 2009-01-16, 19:48   Link #28
Shadow Kira01

Personally, I am not going to buy this "apocalypse" BS. Its not just the Mayans that are making it up, there are various religious groups and ancient civilizations that each have their own version. Only thing fortunate about it is that most, if not all of their versions are inaccurate.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-16, 19:57   Link #29
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I think we all realize that the actual apocalypse will occur when the final episode of Naruto is aired. That may, or may not, happen before the clocks on my Linux servers roll over to zero. I just hope I'll still be around to see that happen.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-16, 20:06   Link #30
Master Anime
Miracle Man
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to Master Anime
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingle View Post
If this thread still exist
Old 2009-01-16, 20:38   Link #31
greatpower2

I believe that we're definitely getting closer and with that big ol' particle accelerator ( can't remember its name that was supposed to destroy the planet I wouldn't be surprised if the world was gone in 2012. But then again Haley's Comet was supposed to kill us all to.
greatpower2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-16, 20:56   Link #32
Deadly Delusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatpower2 View Post
I believe that we're definitely getting closer and with that big ol' particle accelerator ( can't remember its name that was supposed to destroy the planet I wouldn't be surprised if the world was gone in 2012. But then again Haley's Comet was supposed to kill us all to.
For the last goddamn time:

THE LHC IS HARMLESS!
Deadly Delusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-16, 20:58   Link #33
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Its more likely that the Large Hadron Collider will aid in saving the planet or just humanity instead of destroying it.

Even if a comet hit Earth, it may kill half of the world or something but still not enough to end humanity.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-16, 21:08   Link #34
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

The mention of that French seer dude reminds me of the old Nostradamus craze when I was a child...

lol.

The apocalyptic prophecies are fun when you view them as psychoanalytic subjects though. Bring on the Freud! Extra points for anyone using lots of words like "primordial" or "gestalt" in place of common English. And of course, the Mayan calendar itself is worthy of interest for historical reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJOS'STAR
Is it just me or does anyone else really dislike that smiley too?

But really, would you expect anything else but ridicule when presented with a subject as obviously ridiculous as the end of the world as misread by conspiracy theorists looking at Mesoamerican calendars?
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-16, 21:20   Link #35
One_To_Protect
Call Me Pip

Im so tired of every going on about how the world is going to end soon. My father is even in on it. We still have years to come before it happens and we are going to be the cause of it, not becuase some old crinkled up calendar said so.
One_To_Protect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-16, 21:23   Link #36
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

They ALWAYS say that the end of the world is coming. They're always wrong.

God says that no one will know the day nor the hour of the end except Jesus. So these "predictions", no matter how scientifically supported they seem, are nothing but a bunch of bullox. Besides, if it really is some mythical armageddon that comes out of nowhere, it's probably not something that can be stopped, so why would we care?
Old 2009-01-16, 21:23   Link #37
Kamui4356
Aria Company

I watched part of a "documentry" on the discovery channel trying to relate Nostradamas to this. The whole thing was based on some drawing that he supposedly made with the sun and a lion. They claimed that it was proof that he predicted somehting important about the sun being in Leo. They then went on to claim that if the sun being in leo was important, than the opposite, which they claim is going to happen in 2012, must also be important. Even if we accept that the guy really could predict the future, that doesn't seem to follow.

I honestly don't see why anyone would believe this.
Old 2009-01-16, 21:28   Link #38
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
I watched part of a "documentry" on the discovery channel trying to relate Nostradamas to this. The whole thing was based on some drawing that he supposedly made with the sun and a lion. They claimed that it was proof that he predicted somehting important about the sun being in Leo. They then went on to claim that if the sun being in leo was important, than the opposite, which they claim is going to happen in 2012, must also be important. Even if we accept that the guy really could predict the future, that doesn't seem to follow.

I honestly don't see why anyone would believe this.
Also from that documentary that you watched, Nostradamus did not draw the pics himself lol. It was more likely his son or someone else.

Nostradamus did not know how to draw, so he had to get his son to draw for him. The pictures are more of his son's imagination/visualisation of Nostradamus's description of his predictions.

I don't know how anything like that can be accurate.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-16, 22:23   Link #39
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Also from that documentary that you watched, Nostradamus did not draw the pics himself lol. It was more likely his son or someone else.

Nostradamus did not know how to draw, so he had to get his son to draw for him. The pictures are more of his son's imagination/visualisation of Nostradamus's description of his predictions.

I don't know how anything like that can be accurate.
I missed that part. I didn't watch the whole thing, I turned it off after about 10 or 15 minutes.
Old 2009-01-16, 23:37   Link #40
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

And that's why the "Discovery Channel" is no longer a "science" channel.... it *used* to be, but they decided to co-opt the lunacy and "in-faux-mation" nonsense documentaries. One of the best ways to screw up information is to seed it with bad bits. People see enough bad bits and they can't tell the good bits from the bad anymore.

Tags
apocalypse