AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

View Poll Results: Penguin Drum - Episode 14 Rating
Perfect 10 24 36.36%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 29 43.94%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 15.15%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 3.03%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.52%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-10-14, 21:34   Link #41
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
x
Oh and the best part about the episode was Esmeralda forcing Meganekko cosplay pics of hers onto #1. Absolutely hilarious.

I know I loved this too

I might be the only one but I am beginning to think Natsume actually might be good for Kanba. She is the exact opposite of Himari. I think that is exactly what Kanba needs.

And well I do love Esmeralda & No. 1 and since they are reflections of their owners...
Old 2011-10-14, 21:52   Link #42
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Was it me, or did Ringo's voice change? Even if it is the same seiryuu, she sounds different, and I don't think it was simply her trying to sound cute after reading that mag.
Old 2011-10-14, 22:09   Link #43
Crontica

All i can say is (◕‿‿◕)
Old 2011-10-14, 22:23   Link #44
YayPepsi

Quote:
Oh and the best part about the episode was Esmeralda forcing Meganekko cosplay pics of hers onto #1. Absolutely hilarious.
Esmerelda is great. XD I love her.
Old 2011-10-14, 22:25   Link #45
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Wowza, this is hardly the first time I've seen a love triangle/dodecahedron involving a dead person (AnoHana is the first that comes to mind) but holy cow I think we need another relationship chart by now. What interested me most about this episode was Natsume and Kanba's intereaction however, Kanba says he'll never take money from her family, did her family spill the beans on his parents? Run the group that committed the terrorist act? Do they own one of the penguin businesses? Also the way that Masako keeps trying to keep Kanba from getting involve with those men in black is interesting, it sounds like this is somehow hurting Mario but I can't figure out how, is there not enough medicine and she wants it to go to Mario, not Himari? She seems to trust Sanetoshi so I don't think that's it but I'm curious just what she meant there.
Old 2011-10-14, 22:34   Link #46
Kyuu
=^^=

Oh, how the freakin' ironic... the instigator of stalker-type behavior becomes the recipient... THE IRONY!
Old 2011-10-14, 22:45   Link #47
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
What interested me most about this episode was Natsume and Kanba's intereaction however, Kanba says he'll never take money from her family, did her family spill the beans on his parents? Run the group that committed the terrorist act? Do they own one of the penguin businesses? Also the way that Masako keeps trying to keep Kanba from getting involve with those men in black is interesting, it sounds like this is somehow hurting Mario but I can't figure out how, is there not enough medicine and she wants it to go to Mario, not Himari? She seems to trust Sanetoshi so I don't think that's it but I'm curious just what she meant there.
Hmm I never thought of Natsume's family being responsible for informing on the Takakura's parents. If true that would be a great twist.

And I think last week I mentioned that "crush it" line. If I'm not mistaken it seems Natsume was talking about the organization Kanba is getting money from. Well it doesn't seem like a good organization so Natsume might be in the right here.
Old 2011-10-14, 22:46   Link #48
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
We start with some Yuri yuri, however it turns out to be extremely bad in the end, as she turns out to be some kind of rapist. Ringo should have really known better, for she used same of these same tricks and Yuri's plan could have come out of a bad hentai.

And there's something up with Yuri's body. Uh oh. SOMEONE SAVE RINGO NOW! Becoming Momoka is bad!

The scene between Ringo and Shouma alone is probably enough to give this episode a 10. It was legitimate crushing on both sides. Shouma doesn't have enough self worth, and Ringo realizes she cares about nobody but herself. And in these lines of stagnant thinking just leads to pain. They just can't get over it.

But while some people implode, others explode. Kanba. That was an amazing trip from him, and he sure has balls to just face off with crazy stalker bitch like that.

Also, lol@ the scarf.

10/10-- Creepy, disturbing, poignant. I have to rewind back sometimes to catch some of the other aspects.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2011-10-14 at 23:12.
Old 2011-10-14, 23:01   Link #49
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
What GLORIOUS plot twists.

WOW... I did not see the events of this episode coming at all.

Though my sentiments on the Yuri yuri bits are exactly the same as Kanon's, I have to admit that those scenes are drawn and animated to perfection. Strikingly sensuous. I think this might even surpass something similar in Mai HiME...

Well, with this episode, Ringo has completely won me over. She's now my favorite character in this show. A yandere that actually reforms totally. A genuinely very sweet girl at heart.

Sho... has issues. He really needs to let go of the self-loathing, and stop feeling guilt over something he had no control over. It's destroying him, and costing him a person who would make a great girlfriend for him.

Kanba is badass! Loved the scene between him and Natsume.

Himari gets some real character development, which was very nice to see.

Sanetoshi was Fabulous Max!

And that red car... my word, I've never seen a vehicle so gorgeous in an anime before. For a second, I thought I was watching a top-notch car commercial.

Pure unadulterated WIN this episode. Best Penguindrum episode yet, in my view.

10/10.

Loads of fun. Freud would have an absolute field-day with this... he wouldn't know where to start!
Old 2011-10-14, 23:09   Link #50
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Mai-HiME just cockblocked us on that; and penguindrum here did it a manner that wasn't as trashy IMO. I think this is the real thing. Fortunately, someone's already on the lookout for the diary so Ringo will probably be saved.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-10-14, 23:19   Link #51
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Mai-HiME just cockblocked us on that; and penguindrum here did it a manner that wasn't as trashy IMO.
Seriously, after several long years, the spiritual successor to a certain (in)famous yuri couple has been found!

I give to you... YuRingo!
Old 2011-10-14, 23:22   Link #52
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Seriously, after several long years, the spiritual successor to a certain (in)famous yuri couple has been found!

I give to you... YuRingo!
What the.... damn shipping

*Tosses melonpan at triple_r*

Besides NanoFate and NodoSaki > all anyways.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-10-14, 23:31   Link #53
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
And there's something up with Yuri's body. Uh oh. SOMEONE SAVE RINGO NOW! Becoming Momoka is bad!
No! I refuse to allow a deliciously delectable IRONY be ruined by a cliche. No no no, we shall have none of that.
Old 2011-10-14, 23:32   Link #54
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Yuri might be smoking hot, especially with today's animation verse that of yesteryear's Mai Hime's, but Shizuru's voice (Naomi Shindo) will always be able to tug at my groin at a primal level. Those Kyoto accents. Rawr.

Plus, we don't know yet if Yuri is actually going to be successful in her....er....expression of love, so she's still got some growing to do if she wants to join the elite ranks of anime's greatest...er...lovers, whereas Shizuru most definitely got herself some action and is a solid member of that pantheon.
Also, cake.
Old 2011-10-14, 23:45   Link #55
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Lol, childhood friend coupling (Ringo/Tabuki) only to be broken by another childhood friend coupling (Tabuki/Yuri), only to shown as a farce to pave way for yet another couple (Yuri/Ringo!Momoka). Farking Ikuhura... why the heck must you make this series so painful for me? You got my hopes up only to shatter it in the very same episode.

That said, man, no emo guy I wanted to punch IRL more so than Sho (and yes, even more than emo whiny poster boy, Ikari Shinji). Holy crap, that was so irritating... but I guess ShoXRingo can't possibly sail this early in the series.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2011-10-15, 01:29   Link #56
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Lol, childhood friend coupling (Ringo/Tabuki) only to be broken by another childhood friend coupling (Tabuki/Yuri), only to shown as a farce to pave way for yet another couple (Yuri/Ringo!Momoka). Farking Ikuhura... why the heck must you make this series so painful for me? You got my hopes up only to shatter it in the very same episode.

That said, man, no emo guy I wanted to punch IRL more so than Sho (and yes, even more than emo whiny poster boy, Ikari Shinji). Holy crap, that was so irritating... but I guess ShoXRingo can't possibly sail this early in the series.
Sorry, it is not possible to be more emo than Shinji, though Shou's emoness really made me want to:

Spoiler for Ignore the pigtails.:
Also, cake.
Old 2011-10-15, 01:46   Link #57
EroKing

Well only had one thing to say.

Old 2011-10-15, 02:16   Link #58
Crontica

Ok thats it, if diagonal incest does not happen in next ep i'll be damned.
Old 2011-10-15, 02:35   Link #59
Sol Falling

Yeah, this was an awesome episode. I dunno where I stand on Yuri having a penis--I sure enjoyed the sensuous teasing scene at the end of the episode before the idea came up. Also, at the very start of the episode, Yuri and the other actress say stuff like "You can only share this feeling with another woman"/"Do you really think you can satisfy a woman with those moves?". But, at the same time, the idea does seem to fit quite well.

Not for any lack of sympathy for her, but I think that it could be powerful for the story if Ringo wasn't saved. Well, for the moment, I suppose I won't decide on any preferences either way.

From the context of Natsume and Kanba's conversation, I assumed that Natsume's "I must crush it soon" phrase refers to his perceived interest in Ringo. At the same time, I am now rather convinced that Kanba is not consciously aware of or intentionally pursuing any romantic interest in Himari, such that that scene in episode 1 was him acting on some unusual influence.

I'm pretty sure Ringo's voice changing was just her being cute.

I'm fairly certain that Tabuki's romantic interest in Yuri is fake from his side as well.

Sanetoshi is straight up extorting Kanba, and making moves on Himari. I will admit that he was pretty fabulous with the scarves, but having already set myself up for end-of-story failure by shipping KanbaxHimari, I think I will be feeling some actual NTR rage if Sanetoshi takes advantage of her.

Anyway, Ringo isn't my favourite character, or the one I find most interesting, but she's really struck me many times in being a girl and feminine. I'm strongly emotionally attracted to her. This episode was really nice in letting us get close to both her and Yuri's point of view.
Old 2011-10-15, 04:27   Link #60
Sides

Finally got to watch it. Nooo, not Ringo.
I wonder if Ikuhara and his team will pull it through and allow Ringo getting fabulous max by Yuri. The series has a dark theme anway, so I don't see a problem with it.

Forgot to mention the XKR, looked really nice animated.

Last edited by Sides; 2011-10-15 at 05:06.
Closed Thread