AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Your Favorite Gundam Series is?
Mobile Suit Gundam 31 5.74%
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam 66 12.22%
Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ 7 1.30%
Mobile Suit Victory Gundam 11 2.04%
Mobile Fighter G Gundam 15 2.78%
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing 69 12.78%
Mobile Suit Gundam X 22 4.07%
'∀' Turn A Gundam 57 10.56%
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED 152 28.15%
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny 38 7.04%
Other (Explain) 72 13.33%
Voters: 540. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2005-12-21, 18:43   Link #21
The Desert Tiger

Turn-A is my favourite followed by Zeta and Victory
The Desert Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 19:36   Link #22
dreammmatt

Turn A Gundam is the best hands-down.

Tomino brings humanity back to an age of innocence. The curiosity and wonder with which the characters explore the possibilities of the "Lost Technology" is as beautiful as the child-like terror with which they regard the tragic events of the "Dark History." The simple fact that there was only two Gundams in the entire series, and that the weapons systems werent fully understood until the end is impressive. Tomino was able to tell a story without gorey overkill / spam-killing ( I'm looking at you Gundam SEED )

The concept of the Dark History unifies all of the various Gundam Series by arranging them as different periods in humanity's past, and the homage paid to each of those series is tasteful and not overdone for glitz or glamour. Such as the main bad guy, Gym Ghingnham, being a decendant of Uso Evin from Victory Gundam, who was himself decended from a love-child of Nanai Miguel and Char Aznable; the main bad guy of all that is Gundam. Gundam Wing found a more direct heir in Corporal Corin Nander, who apparently experienced the horrorific power of the Wing Zero Gundam before being put into cryogenic suspended animation for 'bad behavior.' Countless other references bring all the series together in the viewer's mind, stirring up memories of all the series simultaneously, enabling the finale to conclude the entire Gundam Universe. All true fans of Gundam who have watched all of the other series should know what I am saying, and should understand how good it feels to have everything settled, once and for all. That the purpose of the Gundam, bringing peace, finally made good on its promise.

Turn A Gundam...is definitely the best.

Last edited by dreammmatt; 2005-12-21 at 19:47.
dreammmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 21:06   Link #23
Paiser

08th ms team, best ever!
why? Grunt vs Grunt
Paiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 21:55   Link #24
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiryuu
Yes I can. Victory does it better.
I'm only on ep 28 of Victory but it seems to me Tomino makes the deaths in Victory far more emtionally-gripping than in Zeta...In Zeta war is just war and death is just death (no glamorization or glory to it) In Victory the deaths are more viceral and harder to take IMO....

As for my rankings, I usually like to put the limited series (Ova's) and the normal series in different categories because of episode count, but this time I'll excuse that rule...

(Have yet to see G-Saviour, F-91, old skool SD Gundam series and MS Igloo...Currently on ep 28 of Victory)

1) Turn A Gundam (Not only top G-series, top 10 anime of alltime IMO...Characters, Atmosphere, Music, Development and the MS are all genious, especially the TURN X which is a brilliant MS that only Tomino could give life to)
2) 8th MS Team (The grittiness and realness of the series is unmatched)
3)Gundam X (Should be put in between Victory and Turn A, should be apart of the UC, too bad EVA overshadowed such a great series that examines Newtypes and puts closure to their existence)
4)Zeta (The coldness that is war, the truth of what it really is and that's... Death)
5)CCA (Char at his worse, Rau Le Creset seems to be an even more extreme version of Char from this movie...Char is my favorite maskguy and probably my favorite Gundam character, yet he was wrong for his stance and it's a pity he didn't realize it until the end)
6)MSG (loved it, but then I saw that some others were even better thanks to better animation and budgets)
7) Gundam Wing/Endless Waltz (Only Gundam series that deals with the philisophical aspects of war exclusively, you see non-sensical banter, I see great, epic exchange of ideals and dialouge unlike any other G-series and did I mention the action which is second to none in volume)
8)Gundam SEED (great re-telling of MSG, with incredible mask-guy and plenty of good drama that's done aswell if not better than any other G-series)
9)Gundam 0083 (This probably would be higher if Nina Purpleton wasn't so annoying--The Gundams in this series are visually imposing especially Gundam PHYSALIS and it's atomic bazooka)
10)G Gundam (As much as this gets criticized it never tried to be something it wasn't and had a very compelling underlining plot)
11)GundamZZ (Gundam Voltron!! Yay!! I think Tomino started to smoke marijuana during the first half of the series, and i didn't mind much...)
12)GUNDAM 0080 War in the pocket (not great, but not bad...Had it's moments)
13)Gundam Seed Desinty (The biggest waste of potential I've ever seen in all my years of watching anime...only Tenjou Tenge* can compare and I actually still liked that series)
14) SD Gundam Force (I enjoyed that show on many levels, mostly chronic ones , but it still sucked although it was cute)

Like I said I'm just halfway thru VICTORY and if it keeps on it's current pace, I'd likley put it right under CCA as of now...

*I bring up Tenjou Tenge for comparison because it's the only other series that suffers from one of the same problems as GSD and that's letting the old cast suck the life out of the series...

Last edited by wingdarkness; 2005-12-21 at 23:12.
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 22:51   Link #25
Crusader

Send a message via MSN to Crusader
Well
1. ZZ its makes me laugh even though it is cheeys at times... but i like how Judai was developed especailyl toward the end.
2. Wing is good cuase even nobodies get to make long drawn out speccehs tooo... plus i like it's politicalness//
3. Turn A has loveable characters, but no Haman or mashima goodness...

after that, it really don't matter...

MSG is otu side of the list cause i never add originals (cuase they tend to be the best...) Msg's ending had me on the edge of my seat..... well most of the time to be truthful.. Msg has the somethign abotu it that no other series can ever compare.... in my book, animation is never a factor...
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 23:04   Link #26
HazardNights

Send a message via AIM to HazardNights Send a message via MSN to HazardNights Send a message via Yahoo to HazardNights
Turn A Gundam all the way. Like said Turn A is a very character driven show. There is a lot of great action but the action isn't just there for action sake. In fact some of the best moments of the show aren't even the combat aspects of the show. Turn A vs. Turn X has to be one of the most interesting and surprising fights in Gundam. Though
HazardNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 23:07   Link #27
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

@Crusade Basically animation never matters to me either...But given the fact Gundam is a franchise that because of it's longevity is gonna have animation differences unlike stand-alone series i enjoyed (Fist of the North Star for example) i think considering the animation can be valid...I loved MSG, but when i saw the animation of Zeta i was more in love...and when I saw the gritty battles of 8th MS that mirror some great battles in MSG with much better animation I considered that in my opinion...
Old 2005-12-21, 23:16   Link #28
demon_god04
~Hi -mi- tsu des~

I had a REALLY hard time choosing between Turn A and 08th MS team -.- in the end though Turn A won out because I loved the character and story...even though Loran didnt end up with the one I wanted him to
demon_god04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 23:54   Link #29
mycen

For me it is a draw between Seed and 08 MS followed by Gundam X. For me turn A was a dead bore ... and Gundam W was little too exaggerated..
mycen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 00:25   Link #30
Coolrush

Send a message via AIM to Coolrush
Out of the they ones Ive seen and finished.

1) Gundam SEED

2) Gundam 0080

3) MSG 0079 movies 1-3

4) Gundam Wing

5) Gundam 0083

6) Chars Counterattack

7) Gundam SEED Destiny

I havent watched V Gundam yet but I have it on my comp. Im going through Zeta right now and I still need to finish MS 08th team.
Coolrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 00:41   Link #31
tetsuo69

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycen
For me it is a draw between Seed and 08 MS followed by Gundam X. For me turn A was a dead bore ... and Gundam W was little too exaggerated..
this pretty much what i said but i like Gundam wing as it Rank 4th on my list

i would like to ask if V Gundam is worth the download? i'm having a hard time cuz the character looks to young"12Y"
tetsuo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 01:29   Link #32
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Like I said tetsuo69 I'm on ep 28 and it's even more depressing than Zeta so far...It is told more from the eyes of children which makes it even more of a tragic tale...The mobile suit designs once again are fresh as in most Tomino series...And despite the death there's an uplifting feel to the series (especially the OP and END songs)...The only reason I would suggest waiting is because the DVD eps are only up to ep 6 on IRC, which means you'll have to watch the older fansub versions which I know some people here couldn't bare, but I'm a different breed i guess...If your like me and don't care as long as it's watchable I'd watch it right now, especially if you've seen Turn A or were about to see Turn A, because I'm finding out that Victory probably should be considered the prequel to Turn A, but I won't know for sure until i finish watching it...
Old 2005-12-22, 02:00   Link #33
Crusader

Send a message via MSN to Crusader
victory is WAR, but belivable.. the chracters are touching, but they emphasisi on death and such... and during the fianll abttle it seemed liek both sides were giving thier all.

Zeta is war, but lame war, with noone worth carign about.. the final battles weren't that great...
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 02:30   Link #34
Nesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paiser
08th ms team, best ever!
why? Grunt vs Grunt

that's my pick too 08th ms team gave me everything i wanted in a gundam ova/movie/series. character development, great story, in uc era, great action, drama. very happy puppy after watching it
Nesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 02:42   Link #35
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~

Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
It isn't an entirely fair pick for me, since I've only watched bits of Gundam X, the entire Gundam Wing series as well as Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny only, but my vote goes to Gundam Seed for its music, animation and plot. Had I watch more of the older series, though, I might change my mind.
Owaranai Destiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 02:55   Link #36
tetsuo69

i guess i'll wait for the DVd versions ^^ as i would like to keep them and put them on Dvds
Old 2005-12-22, 03:45   Link #37
boredandsleepy

Since I haven't completed watching all Gundams, as of now, I voted Gundam Seed because it was the first Gundam show that definitely attracted my attention. However, if I haven't watched the Gundam Seed, I will choose Gundam Wing. I like those battle scenes, graphics, mobile suits, music and the characters development. Trowa is the one I like the most and then the kindest with a bit psycho mid-Eastern prince (can't remember his name). Unfortunately, Gundam Wing does not have so much romance as in the Gundam Seed. Heero never kisses Relena. The story of Gundam Wing had been constantly shifting that confused me which side was actually the enemy.
boredandsleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 04:13   Link #38
yamikage

I have seen the original MSG, Zeta, ZZ, Wing, X, and SEED.

I liked SEED but not as much as I liked Wing, mostly because Wing was the first Gundam series I have watched and it will always hold a special place in my heart, but it is not the best for me.

I had a hard time picking between MSG and Zeta. I loved MSG with its retro Gundam, dated animation and all. But for an anime that was shown in 1979, it was ahead of its time. Amuro's space battles were awesome.

Zeta Gundam... Man I loved the ending. Even if it was full of plotholes near the end, I enjoyed the story very well. I also liked the final battle between Camille and Scirocco. It also has the best cliffhanger ending I have ever seen. Besides, Zeta Gundam looks cooler than Destiny Gundam.

So I think I'll go with Zeta. But they're equally close.

BTW, I would love to see Victory Gundam. It's not licensed as far as I know so can someone please tell me where to get it?
yamikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 10:14   Link #39
Mega-Pimp
It's magic!

Having seen almost all gundam series(except G and saviour) I would place my little ranking as such(I like every series in different ways, although some are clearly on a higher level) and I won't rank OVAs/movies on their own...:

1)The original MSG: It's story, character etc are some of the best, although I'm a sucker for the whole "feeling" of it, and it spawned some great OVAs.

and Victory Gundam, I'm a sucker for tragic deaths but it's action parts, story and characters aint' bad either.

2)Turn A Gundam: While abit slow at times and I don't generally like the "setting" , it's animation, character development and story is top notch tough.

And ZZ gundam, even if it might not make much sense story wise and is obiously "split" between it's humour/serious parts, it just got some great characters and of course one bad ass "last" battle where the great Gundam pilot in a wastly superiour suit aided by newtype ghost powers gets BEATEN by Haman whom is not even using her own suit to it's full potential...

3)Zeta Gundam, it's good but I didn't get any good feel for any characters in it and the last battle was way too hyped on these boards...
Still worth to watch, having some of the most wicked mobile suit designs shared with ZZ.

4)Wing Gundam, it's rather average but get plus points for beeing abit like the original transformers(I'm shot! Again! Ouch, this hurts...stop that!), some nice designs and pilots who are not complete cry babies.

Gundam SEED, my first Gundam show I watched and while having a FEW good parts it's characters are just...silly mostly and the battles are a drag to say the least...
And EA trashing doesn't make it much better...

5)Gundam SEED Destiny, utterly crap, really...it's just below average on all parts, story, characters, designs, combat...

I don't think you can really compare movies to full series, as they often build on series themself and don't make much sense without watching/reading the series first.

I never understood why so many here often says "That series is the best because it was the first I saw", is there some rule that says that it has to be good just because one happened to see it first? My own bitching about SEEDs combat made SRB force me to see some UC shows which got me hooked...
I'm just curious about that "first show" thing...
Mega-Pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 10:21   Link #40
tetsuo69

ive seen mostly all Gundam series and i still like Seed the most
after all its an anime and i cant expect it to be nonfiction like most non Seed/Destiny Fans seem to say its the reason why they dislike it. i just find it silly cuz in end U.C had its downs just like in C.E