Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-12-19, 17:27   Link #81
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

That's simply not logically correct. A high post count strongly suggests that a particular member has been part of an online community for a long stretch of time.

Not true, depending on where you post and how active the thread is you could easily get 500 to 1000 posts in 3 months. Im sure people racked up huge posts count when Nanoha, Code Geass, any Fate series all aired. Any popular series epsc with the sub forum will get you a good post count. Doesnt matter how long youre a member.

Quote:
The other reason I've made the posts on this thread that I most recently have is to counter Westlo's suggestion of scrubbing join dates. I don't want a depersonalized, anti-information AS.
Personally I dont see that happening and I have no problem with keeping join dates on. We all still can have our own avys/sigs (as long as they meet the rules), we all have our own opinions so I dont think AS will be depersonalized anytime soon
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2012-12-19, 17:34   Link #82
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Personally I dont see that happening and I have no problem with keeping join dates on. We all still can have our own avys/sigs (as long as they meet the rules), we all have our own opinions so I dont think AS will be depersonalized anytime soon
Ok, fair enough. I'm not going to nitpick with you over post counts then.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2012-12-19 at 17:36. Reason: Removing previous argument
Old 2012-12-19, 17:35   Link #83
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quick reply, I never said 1000 was high, I only said someone could rack up that amount of posts in a short period of time.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2012-12-19, 17:49   Link #84
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Part of my argument is that having a community with a lot of active members having high post counts indicates that the community itself is strong, vibrant, active, and well-established.
And you'll get people that'll get into a race to drive their post count up to be seen as active well established members by making quick one line post,I've seen it happen plenty of times at forums I've been part of.

Seriously,the fact post counts aren't displayed below the avatar was one the things that made a good first impression when I first visited the forum.
Old 2012-12-19, 18:01   Link #85
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
And you'll get people that'll get into a race to drive their post count up to be seen as active well established members by making quick one line post,I've seen it happen plenty of times at forums I've been part of.
I honestly never saw that, at least not to a noticeable degree, on the forums I am on which have public post counts. So our experiences are different there.

Also, you don't see the irony in decrying quick one-line posts while making a quick 1/2-line post yourself? How do you know these short posts don't just reflect a particular poster's style?
Old 2012-12-19, 18:08   Link #86
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I think we're basically going around in circles now, so I think I'm going to put a close to this for now.

Basically, as many have probably realized, we tend to default to the status quo for most things unless there's a really strong reason to change, and for both the main proposal and the subsequent proposal, I'm not sure that there's any consensus for change.

a) Regarding post counts, for now they won't be visible next to each post, but you can still see it by clicking on the person's nickname and clicking on the "Statistics" tab.

b) Regarding Join Date, for now it'll remain visible next to each post, as it has been all along.

Those could possibly be changed later, but for now we'll keep things the way they are. If there's a reason to re-open this thread, please feel free to contact any of the staff.