AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Another

Notices

Old 2012-01-31, 16:29   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Feel free to discuss any music related subjects for Another here (OP/ED & OST, etc.). As the usual rule, NO POSTING LINKS TO MP3s OR ASKING FOR THEM. You may buy them at the usual place such as cdjapan and what not, but DO NOT ask for or post links to any music downloads. This includes, but isn't limited to:
  • any RAR, ZIP, 7-ZIP archive
  • Torrents
  • The names of other BT sites that list music torrents
  • Direct downloads

This also includes links to YouTube videos NOT uploaded by the original artist.
Kairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 20:26   Link #2
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

So, I see there's a character song album being released 3/21, but any sign of a soundtrack?
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-31, 21:08   Link #3
sa547
*Author

Not yet, but I think once the show is halfway through the season.

The ED, IMHO, when played after a particularly gruesome conclusion of an episode, is jarring enough that we can refer to as Soundtrack Dissonance.
Old 2012-02-01, 00:21   Link #4
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

4th episode in and I still find the OP highly irritating. However, and I don't remember if this was discussed in the general thread, but perhaps it's meant to be that way to keep us viewers uncomfortable and on edge at the beginning of each episode.
Old 2012-02-01, 07:24   Link #5
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
4th episode in and I still find the OP highly irritating. However, and I don't remember if this was discussed in the general thread, but perhaps it's meant to be that way to keep us viewers uncomfortable and on edge at the beginning of each episode.
If that were the case it doesn't work. Because the only thing I say to myself is, hurry up and skip it. But this episode (#4) I was already into the eerie atmosphere from the very beginning so I forgot to skip it and as you said, it was highly irritating!! It never happens to me for instance with American Horror Story, on the contrary.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-02, 00:49   Link #6
Unknown Soldier
:D

The biggest problem with the OP is how incredibly wrong it is for the show. Ali Project sucking is actually an ancillary issue here.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-02, 01:31   Link #7
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
The biggest problem with the OP is how incredibly wrong it is for the show. Ali Project sucking is actually an ancillary issue here.
The OP reminded me too much of Code Geass. Dir en Grey or anything darker could've been more appropriate.

Last edited by sa547; 2012-02-02 at 10:17.
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-02, 08:24   Link #8
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
I like the Ali Project's songs that I've heard. But I agree that their music style was the wrong choice to front Another.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-02, 12:23   Link #9
Horse

As someone who actually likes ALI PROJECT I believe the song choice was wrong. I just don't think it's a good song. IMHO they could've/should've used the 3rd track on the single (Tainai Hitogata Yuugi). It would be far more fitting and effective.
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-02, 16:35   Link #10
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

I think the problem with Kyoumu Densen(Nightmare Contagion) as Another's OP is that more often than not, it breaks the mood created by the sublime BGM that starts to build tension as the episode starts. Some of the song works with the eyecatch after the OP and before it goes back to the episode, but together it just feels too "happy" and some of the mystic elements that it goes for in the middle of the song with its unusual instrumentation doesn't fit the "horror" part of the show. It would be suited more to a esoteric "mystery" series. I am not familiar enough with ALI Project to know if this song sounds like their other themes like Rozen Maiden's or Code Geass's. I think if they had gone for a darker and more "metal" sound, the OP would have been better for the show. On its own, it sounds like a interesting J-Pop song, IMHO.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-02, 23:37   Link #11
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbZeroNow View Post
I think the problem with Kyoumu Densen(Nightmare Contagion) as Another's OP is that more often than not, it breaks the mood created by the sublime BGM that starts to build tension as the episode starts. Some of the song works with the eyecatch after the OP and before it goes back to the episode, but together it just feels too "happy" and some of the mystic elements that it goes for in the middle of the song with its unusual instrumentation doesn't fit the "horror" part of the show. It would be suited more to a esoteric "mystery" series. I am not familiar enough with ALI Project to know if this song sounds like their other themes like Rozen Maiden's or Code Geass's. I think if they had gone for a darker and more "metal" sound, the OP would have been better for the show. On its own, it sounds like a interesting J-Pop song, IMHO.
I think the theme sounds pretty much like every other ALI PROJECT song I've heard. But you hit the nail on the head when you talk about its impact following the teaser sequence. It's actually not a bad song, and the OP visuals are quite creepy (indeed, the opening sequence would make an excellent trailer/advertisement for the show if standing alone). It's the quiet creepiness of the teasers, followed by the sudden change to fast-paced music that makes it so jarring. It's not that the opening is bad, just that it's wrong for its placement in the show (if Another started with the OP, no teaser, it might be better, because there would be no "build-up" of a divergent mood).
Old 2012-02-04, 21:07   Link #12
Ikuko
The Madwoman

This might be because I don't know much of Ali Project's songs, but am I the only one that actually likes the OP? I feel it lacks something and is quite repetitive in full, but it's not bad IMHO.

Also, does anyone here have its english translation, pretty please?
Ikuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 22:31   Link #13
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikuko View Post
This might be because I don't know much of Ali Project's songs, but am I the only one that actually likes the OP? I feel it lacks something and is quite repetitive in full, but it's not bad IMHO.
Actually, just in this thread, LKK, AbZero, and I have all expressed liking for the song itself.

Though you may be the only one who likes the song as the opening theme for this series.

Quote:
Also, does anyone here have its english translation, pretty please?
My google-fu is surprisingly strong tonight!

http://atashi.wordpress.com/2012/02/...sen/#more-9234
Old 2012-02-04, 22:49   Link #14
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

I confess that I have no prior knowledge of Ali Project, and their OP song for Another is highly unlikely to make me a fan. To me, they sound like a bad mix of J-Pop and gothic rock. For a show like this, I would have preferred an OP similar to Grain, a brooding tune with a hint of knife-edged menace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
To be sure, depending on which sub people are using, the lyrics were already "available" to a certain extent. Still, it's nice to have a full version. What's interesting is that the song seems to have been specially written for Another. If that's the case, this stanza may prove significant:
There is another me
who loves someone so much that it hurts

Well, which one of us
is a figment of imagination?
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 00:25   Link #15
sa547
*Author

Got an idea... I want to use Stigmata's OST instead as substitutes: Chumbawamba's Mary Mary for the OP, and Natalie Imbruglia's Identify as the ED.
Old 2012-02-05, 00:37   Link #16
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikuko View Post
As I said back before Another got its own subforum, I like the song. When I first heard it I wasn't crazy about it, but it grew on me (like most of Ali-Project's music lately; I'm making a :S face at it at first, but I come to like it [or be "okay" with it] later).

I have mixed feelings as to whether or not I feel it fits the show as the OP. 50% of me can roughly identify a connection between the rhythms/instruments used in both the OP and the BGM for the show, and 50% of me feels like it belongs to an entirely different storyline. Another could've had a much better OP, but I also know that it could've had a much worse OP, so I'm not gonna complain.
Old 2012-02-05, 01:15   Link #17
Arcadia
Arararara..

Not too sure about the OP, but loving the ED over here :P
Arcadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 04:07   Link #18
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

It just hit me that Yomiyama reminds me strongly of a certain American town from some 20 years ago with (supernatural) secrets of its own. Laura Palmer's Theme continues to haunt me to this day, and I wish (again) that this anime had chosen differently for its OP, considering how well it has done in terms of its BGM.

If you think about it, Another's tagline — "Who is the one who died? — could have been used just as aptly for that particular American cult hit.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 07:28   Link #19
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
It just hit me that Yomiyama reminds me strongly of a certain American town from some 20 years ago with (supernatural) secrets of its own. Laura Palmer's Theme continues to haunt me to this day, and I wish (again) that this anime had chosen differently for its OP, considering how well it has done in terms of its BGM.

If you think about it, Another's tagline — "Who is the one who died? — could have been used just as aptly for that particular American cult hit.
Bingo. Twin Peaks the Animation.
Old 2012-02-06, 08:42   Link #20
Arya

As other have already stated, it is not that I don't like the song. I really have nothing against the music.
Anyways, since I was curious I tried to switch it with another song, but now I don't know if I could post the link here.
Well, I try. Another alternative. If I'm wrong, mods can kill me in the way they prefer

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote