AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2008-09-03, 15:55   Link #41
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Or perhaps she trained on the Russian coastline near Japan before the war?

Whatever.... this has a kind of weird "while Indiana was fighting the Nazis, ..." and "the Allies were rescuing Hellboy, meanwhile..." feel to it.
It could have been obtained during the second Sino-Japanese war in 1939. The Soviet armies and the Kwantung Army fought in Manchukuo(Manchuria) and Mongolia.

Japan was completely beaten in this conflict and had much, much higher casualties. So it isn't out of the question that in the Soviet advance, many katanas and Western sabers were picked up from the dead Japanese Army officers.

The only reason the Soviets didn't advance into China that time was because of the storm clouds in Europe. The invasion of Poland was less than five months away.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-03, 16:09   Link #42
monir
cho~ kakkoii

4C 4C 4C... yatta! Fall season is looking better and better.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-03, 16:18   Link #43
FRS
Lurker on the threshold

A french web site made an article in the beginning of august, there's another trailer in the article( it looks like the 2nd video with a few more sequences).

I believe they are going for the weird/occult war tone, within the two trailers you can see mecha and teutonic knights so dont expect a realistic WW2 depiction IMO.
FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-03, 18:14   Link #44
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Yep, an alternate reality so anything goes.
Old 2008-09-03, 22:16   Link #45
v1nx

Send a message via ICQ to v1nx
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS View Post
A french web site made an article in the beginning of august, there's another trailer in the article( it looks like the 2nd video with a few more sequences).

I believe they are going for the weird/occult war tone, within the two trailers you can see mecha and teutonic knights so dont expect a realistic WW2 depiction IMO.
It's not a trailer, it Legalize music video that was relised in 2005(or 2006?)
v1nx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-03, 22:37   Link #46
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchipride View Post
Japan making an anime on WWII?

The same Japan that doesn't acknowledge what happened in Nanking?
The same Japan that had the use of comfort women in the 1940s?
The same Japan that bombed Pearl Harbor?
The same Japan that is rewriting history to steal Korean islands?

I'm in shock. I thought this day would never come...
Maybe I'm a bit paranoid because I hated the Japanese government of the 1940s. But... I can't wait to know about the accuracy and bias of the informative historical content in this anime.

At least this is more focused on the Eastern front, rather than the Pacific front.
You should really seperate the government from the public >_>
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-04, 04:09   Link #47
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Not even caring for the political stand of the animators, or how volatile the relationships between Japan and its neighbors are. But seriously, I am adding this movie to my "DO FUCKING WANT" watchlist.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-04, 07:03   Link #48
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

I will absolutely watch this. Awesome animation, and I want to see more of that Messerschmidt XD

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-04, 08:49   Link #49
TigerII
Pilot in Training

I prefer the Focke-Wulf 190.
Old 2008-09-04, 09:02   Link #50
ritalman

Send a message via MSN to ritalman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
The 360 game?...
The very same. I really like the Chara Design.
Couldn't play the full game though. PAL...
ritalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-04, 10:47   Link #51
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

So is it established this is a film now? Though I much prefer a series, but a film would suffice.

You don't get to see a WWII story taking place in the cut-throat winner-takes-all Eastern Front often, unless you watch Eastern European movies or old Soviet propaganda filmreels. So this is sure a refreshing experience.

I'd like to ask, the studio is Canadian right? So is this a Japanese/Canadian collaboration? As I see there's a lot Japanese expertise in the credits list.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-04, 12:25   Link #52
TigerII
Pilot in Training

I read a lot of material about WWII and you would be surprised, but there is a lot of material about the Eastern Front that isn't Soviet propaganda.

So far, I can't tell where the movie takes place, but it looks like Stalingrad(I assume it is because that is the most famous battles). Though there were many major battles. Kharkov, Kursk, Lenningrad, Moscow, Orel, etc.
Old 2008-09-04, 13:56   Link #53
DangerMouse

Wow, this looks totally different than what I was expecting, the sharpness of the artwork and character images on the official site and that trailer really got me excited for this.

The art style, colors, and pretty wide variety of forms of combat both land and air with various vehicles and soldiers and knights just grabbed me right away as did the russian girl since she's shown not just there for the drama but will be quite exciting to watch and good in a fight. I can't wait to see her in a sword fight in this animation, the little snippets of a few of her fights in the other trailer on the Anime-Days site look great. The backgrounds and CG (like plane shots and the town with the train) look really nice to me and the war action on the bright background of the snow is eyecandy. I like the brief glimpses of the other members of her squad in various shoot outs and the old man trying to fight off the twins(?).

Is this definitely a movie or is it an OVA series?

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2008-09-04 at 15:06.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-04, 15:47   Link #54
v1nx

DangerMouse,
movie

Kinny Riddle,
Russia|Japanese., Molot ent. - is situated in Canada, but russian infact
Old 2008-09-04, 21:19   Link #55
DangerMouse

Thanks v1nx.

I'm ok with it being a film especially looking at the animation quality we're going to be getting judging by the trailer since it's being made as a movie, though I would have preferred an OVA series looking like this since I know if I end up liking this I'll be wishing it were longer than just a film.

I only hope they give it a good runtime atleast approaching 2 hours so that they don't have to rush or have shorter scenes and cram everything into only an hour and a half.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-05, 03:31   Link #56
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I am fine with 1 hour and half. I am not fine if it is as long as Blood the Last Vampire.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-05, 04:52   Link #57
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

But ANN called it a "series" in the link to describe this so I'm waiting to see what the final official word is.
Old 2008-09-06, 02:25   Link #58
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
But ANN called it a "series" in the link to describe this so I'm waiting to see what the final official word is.
ANN has no clue.

For the last time: it's a movie. This one is directly from the Russian producers/screenwriters. We did an interview with them, so yes, it's official.

At first they contemplated a TV series, and even drafted a preliminary teleplay for the Japanese TV, but apparently they didn't like the production schedule and the quality sacrifices they'd have to make because of it.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-06, 06:47   Link #59
v1nx

cam shots from new Anime Guide

Spoiler for shots:
Old 2008-09-06, 16:26   Link #60
LeoXiao
思想工作

Hmm... this looks like it has potential, actually. I would prefer less magical stuff, but there's still a lot of Soviet and Nazis, can't be too bad.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote