AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

View Poll Results: Valkyria Chronicles - Episode 20 Rating
Perfect 10 17 29.82%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 15 26.32%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 9 15.79%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 10.53%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 7.02%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.75%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 3.51%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 5.26%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-21, 11:51   Link #341
don_Durandal
Zetsubou gunsou

Well I can see what you mean, but still. That breaks Faldio's character and meaning in the series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturro View Post
So shooting a girl he loves is rational?
Yes it is, if he has reason to do it. Think about it:

His emotional decision would be "I don't shoot the girl I love"; on the other hand his rational decision would be "I shoot her because that'll awaken her valkyria powers and save the country".

Yes it's entirely machiavellian, but it IS a rational and calculating thinking.

Besides it doesn't matter if he loves her or not. Comradeship between soldiers of the same unit makes it so that the simple thought of shooting at a brother in arms is revolting. Of course that might just be my own military indoctrination but the thought of shooting at those I've spent sweat, tears and blood with under the colours is sickening, and I've never fallen in love with any of my comrades .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturro View Post
Gambling life of beloved just on rumors and myths?
And that's what I've been complaining about all along in this thread. The plot changes in the anime makes it so that it's not convincing in the show that Faldio has all the knowledge at his disposition. In the game he does thanks to the Barious ruins being intact (and thus not being in ruins, oh the irony).

His mental breakdown is actually proof of sloppy script changes. In Fouzen he didn't show any remorse at the Darcsen getting killed. During the entire anime we haven't seen him interact with his subordinates (it's like the anime crew suddenly remembered Faldio was a platoon leader wehn making episode 20). On the other hand we've seen him stalk and chase after Alicia's skirt for 17 episodes straight. Someone remind me who he just shot at?
Old 2009-08-21, 12:50   Link #342
Death Header
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
26 episodes would have been enough if they had actually focused on the story, instead of adding crap like this love triangle.
But covering half of Valkyria Chronicles in mere 14 episodes? That would make the series incredibly fast paced and cramped imo. I still think that Valkyria Chronicles could be better with around 35-40 episodes, since that leaves room for more character development as well as making room for the love triangle.
Old 2009-08-21, 13:09   Link #343
Arturro

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_Durandal View Post
His emotional decision would be "I don't shoot the girl I love"; on the other hand his rational decision would be "I shoot her because that'll awaken her valkyria powers and save the country".

Yes it's entirely machiavellian, but it IS a rational and calculating thinking.
I could imagine a plot, where such actions and rationalisation would be justified. Sadly scriptwriter failed to create such plot.

Quote:
His mental breakdown is actually proof of sloppy script changes. In Fouzen he didn't show any remorse at the Darcsen getting killed. During the entire anime we haven't seen him interact with his subordinates (it's like the anime crew suddenly remembered Faldio was a platoon leader wehn making episode 20). On the other hand we've seen him stalk and chase after Alicia's skirt for 17 episodes straight. Someone remind me who he just shot at?
I fully agree.

Old 2009-08-21, 16:54   Link #344
kalbron

@ SoggySoyBean: Indeed, but you want a series to end on a climax, especially in a tv medium. Those two missions were perfectly suited for the game, but would break the flow if put in their original places. They would definitely have to be revised (especially Flower of the Battlefield, not so much Hate) but they don't really belong in a final arc.

@ Death Header: Yes, VC would be better in a longer series. But if you've only got 26 episodes to work with, you HAVE to cover the early groundwork fast or else there won't be nearly enough time to cover the massive battle at Naggiar and the ensuing climax-es.
Old 2009-08-21, 19:02   Link #345
kraken

I really think that 26 episode was a really good format for a very good adaptation of the game, the best I think even with the DLC.

the game was made as an anime. It remind me the game Sakura Taisen, it was very easy to adapt this faithfully

for me, I'll said:

C00 : Prologue: Gallia, to Arms!
C01 : Chapter 1: In Defense of Bruhl
C02 : Chapter 2: Escape from Bruhl

2 épisode

C03 : Chapter 3: Vasel Urban Warfare
RP1 : Report: Ellet Embedded
C04 : Chapter 4: Operation Cloudburst

2 épisode (1 is too short if we need to introduce Ellet)

C05 : Chapter 5: The Kloden Wildwood

1 episodes

RP2 : Report: Largo's Passion
RP3 : Report: A Taste of Home

1 episode

C06 : Chapter 6: A Desert Encounter
C07 : Chapter 7: The Battle at Barious

2 episode

C08 : Chapter 8: The Woodland Snare

1 episode

DLC 1:Behind the blue flame

1 episode

C09 : Chapter 9: A Midsummer Incident

1 épisode

C10 : Chapter 10: Liberation of Fouzen

2 episodes

RP8 : Report: Flower of the Battlefield
RP6 : Report: What Lies Beyond Hate

1 épisodes

C11 : Chapter 11: The Marberry Shore
C12 : Chapter 12: The Fight for Bruhl

3 episodes

RP7 : Report: War Without Weapons
DLC2: Enter the Edy detachment

1 épisode

C13:+C14:

3 episodes

C15

1 episode

C16+C17+C18+epilogue

4 episodes

Last edited by kraken; 2009-08-21 at 19:43.
Old 2009-08-21, 19:15   Link #346
Sassarai
Army of One

Here's how I would of done the first ep.

Spoiler for spoiler:
Old 2009-08-21, 19:32   Link #347
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Header View Post
But covering half of Valkyria Chronicles in mere 14 episodes? That would make the series incredibly fast paced and cramped imo. I still think that Valkyria Chronicles could be better with around 35-40 episodes, since that leaves room for more character development as well as making room for the love triangle.
It can be done. I bet half of the people in this sub-forum could have done a better job adapting the game into the anime, than the idiot script writers. You don't have to include every battle in the game, but with the illogical love triangle out of the way, you could have put far more focus into the actual war and the characters involved.
Old 2009-08-21, 20:23   Link #348
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
but with the illogical love triangle out of the way, you could have put far more focus into the actual war and the characters involved.
Not to mention there wasn't much of a love triangle to begin with!

Sure, there was a triangle, just not much love. It can be summarized as follows:

Faldo has hots on Alicia, but Alicia has hots on Welkin and Welkin just didn't care.

Much love? Didn't think so.

If they wanted a proper triangle, throw Juno in there!

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-08-21, 20:39   Link #349
kraken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
If they wanted a proper triangle, throw Juno in there!

- Tak
There is the manga for it!
Old 2009-08-21, 21:18   Link #350
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
My thoughts exactly, Tak.

Fleshing out the Juno-route was the totally logical choice.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
Old 2009-08-22, 00:33   Link #351
kujoe
from head to heel

If the anime writers wanted to focus on themes of love, there's more than enough from the original story to fill 26 episodes.

We have the obvious subplot between Welkin and Alicia, and this could have been definitely been improved on if you ask me. Heck, the anime is free enough to expand on another certain backstory between two major characters if it wanted to.

When you include a love triangle, the two competitors have to be somehow placed in equal footing. It seems the anime tried to accomplish this in such a blatant and lame manner: making teh coolness out of one, and dumbing down the other. It's utterly ridiculous.

It just proved too much of a change that it affected certain parts of the overall storyline. Including Juno is one thing, but having Faldio step into the limelight even more is another. He already plays such a major role in the story. In other words, 'risk and returns'. If you want to make such a significant addition such as this, then you'd better be prepared to make sure that it's going to work well.
Old 2009-08-22, 12:51   Link #352
Velsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Header View Post
I sorta been thinking the same, I got a bad feeling they may be rushing the ending, I would of rather seen a second series. It had the poteintal for 2 series I would think. Well I'd watch a 2nd series if they made it.

mmm ok I didnt read alot of the spoiler stuffes cause I dont want to be spoilered. But my opinions on the episode I kinda wanted to say.

From Hero to Villian. Faldio has been an alright character, hes done his part in the anime. He and his squad was just awesome. I say he done a very good job in this episode apart from the end (I will get to that :P ) They way he led and orded his squad was very classy. The flanking on her would of worked normally. would of saved alot of lives.... but that Valkyria is just toooooo dam OVERPOWERED !!! SOOO over powered it isnt funny. I did not enjoy seeing his squad working like professionals all die in a matter of 2 seconds. I soo devistated right now.

I totally get his mental state, I beleive good commanders who have there squads wiped out would want to go out with them. Yet he broke down cause he was the only surviver. Thats what I think is the reason.

But from Hero to Villian, now why would you want to shoot Alica (on the same team) in the back. Sure she regenerates fast, but not when shes brown bread.

I really hoped squad 1 would be remembered as heros KIA, but most likely hes tarnished that.

Now I dont think Alica was killed because that wouldn't make sense. She'd probably forgiven him never the less. But the wounds awfully close to the heart <.<

oh and the appearance of Princess Cordial amung the troops was awesome ^_^

Donated by Om Nerabdator
Old 2009-08-22, 12:59   Link #353
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Anybody who thinks that Alicia is dead, needs to watch a few more anime, and look at the OP videos a bit more.

Just like a certain character the end of
Spoiler for spoiler alert:
-shakes his head-
Old 2009-08-22, 16:47   Link #354
Joe_fh

From what I've heard about the game the anime basically uses only the same characters and the same setting. A battle every once in a while too but th focus isn't on that.
They really could have made it a lot better.

And seriously why did Faldio shoot Alicia. That was plain stupid. He had no idea that would actually do something. I mean he thought he could kill a calkyria with gunfire because she is human after all. (otherwise I doubt he would have sent his squad to fight). So when he shot her the only logical conclusion from what he knew should have been that Alicia will die. And since we all know she doesn't (damn OP for the ones that haven't played the game) there is something really wrong with the way things were done
Old 2009-08-23, 01:24   Link #355
Velsy

I didnt say she was dead, but could of been shot dead. It wouldnt make much sense if she died unless its the last episode because the story evolves around her.

But I think it be nice if Welkin comes running in and goes medievil on Faldos bum, Beats him up and stuff. Cause hes already lost his family, now he'd think he could loose Alicia. Thats what I would like to see. We'd get to see his true feelings for her I'd think

I so wanna watch the next ep right now !! hurry up doremi !! I've been left hanging :'(

still kinda frustrated how OP that valkyria was.... wipe out a whole front line in 2 seconds...... If its in the game, so be it, but I dont like it.

Donated by Om Nerabdator
Old 2009-08-23, 04:59   Link #356
Neku
yare yare..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_fh
And seriously why did Faldio shoot Alicia. That was plain stupid. He had no idea that would actually do something. I mean he thought he could kill a calkyria with gunfire because she is human after all. (otherwise I doubt he would have sent his squad to fight). So when he shot her the only logical conclusion from what he knew should have been that Alicia will die. And since we all know she doesn't (damn OP for the ones that haven't played the game) there is something really wrong with the way things were done
I'd like to think that it's a chance he wants to take.
Not because it would kill Alicia, but

Spoiler for Alicia:

Though I would agree it was naive of Faldio, the one who knows so much about Valkyria to risk his soldiers by making them attack her from her rear.

...the anime is screwed up.
Old 2009-08-23, 05:21   Link #357
Joe_fh

But hey in the anime he thought he could kill Selvaria with bullets so when she shot Alicia the logical conclusion, from his point of view, should have been that she'll die. At that point it was never even hinted that such a thing could unlock any power whatsoever. Thus his actions are presented as just a plain murder attempt.

From everything in the anime it would appear Faldio knows just a little about Valkyrias and their power.

So many plot holes.....
Old 2009-08-23, 05:23   Link #358
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_fh View Post
So many plot holes.....
Welcome to the anime adaptation of Valkyria Chronicles.
Old 2009-08-23, 09:03   Link #359
Neku
yare yare..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_fh View Post
But hey in the anime he thought he could kill Selvaria with bullets so when she shot Alicia the logical conclusion, from his point of view, should have been that she'll die. At that point it was never even hinted that such a thing could unlock any power whatsoever. Thus his actions are presented as just a plain murder attempt.

From everything in the anime it would appear Faldio knows just a little about Valkyrias and their power.

So many plot holes.....
Yeah. I've played the game, so I've been mixing the game and anime together when it comes to stuff that didn't seem different.

When I've come to realize your point, all I bothered to do was saying that the anime is so screwed. Thinking about it now, it feels more like Faldio is afraid to see Alicia moving around because he knows she's a Valkryia and thus he shot her
Old 2009-08-24, 05:15   Link #360
cloner4000

Ahhhh...Wendy!!!! nooo..squad one had a lot of squad 7 member from the game so since them wipe out was a bit saddening for me.

And ramal definitely had his purposes, since I haven't really seems a faithful adaption of any anime/movie from its original work....but I didn't saw that coming at all.
Closed Thread