AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-05-13, 22:41   Link #821
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by zato_1one View Post
Does this series have light novel thread? I want to be spoiled.
Yea, http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=104024
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 23:28   Link #822
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Epic moe explosion
So Erio taught Meme how to wear a futon?
The twintail scene was priceless
Then that cute-aunt-on-lap with the licking...

btw, I've got some screenshots here:
http://pantsudaisuki.wordpress.com/2...shun-otoko-05/

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
You can't allow the mother and daughter run a cosplay cafe. It might ended up giving moe heart attack to the customer
Yes, if they were running a cosplay cafe, it may very well be immensely successful... but starting a cafe in the first place requires a significant amount of money, which they most certainly don't have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenblitz View Post
Spoiler for nsfw:
Great
Old 2011-05-14, 00:13   Link #823
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I definitely do think Makkie is breaking down under "Auntie Meme"'s onslaught. But did he really say "Do want!" or was that a fansubber taking liberties?

Why isn't this show more popular on 2chan? Good question - it does seem to push all the right buttons, and it's flaws are not the sort that normally bother that school of viewer. But I'm surely the wrong one to ask, since one of the reasons I enjoy it is because it feels so different than shows like Bakemonogatari to my eye. And I can't for the life of me figure out why AnoHana - easily my pick for best show of the Spring - is so popular when it profiles - at least to me - as radically different than your typical popular series.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-14, 00:45   Link #824
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
Ehhhh, this episode was a bit too much for me. Waaay to much, ahh, "moe", for my taste. I'm in awe that anyone could like Meme even more after this episode. I want to punch her in the face half the time, she would drive me up the wall. And Ryuuko further proofs that she apparently has the mind of a 10 year old. Like someone else said, the entire town is filled with nut cases, possibly a social experiment conducted by the local insane asylum.

As to why the show isn't so popular on 2 chan, IMO, it doesn't really do anything new, in terms of pretty much everything. The show is carried by the quirkiness of the female cast and above average animation, I can see it being completely forgettable once it's done, but I'm sure I'm in the minority on this, as Meme is apparently the best anime MILF ever.
Old 2011-05-14, 04:59   Link #825
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Why isn't this show more popular on 2chan? Good question - it does seem to push all the right buttons, and it's flaws are not the sort that normally bother that school of viewer.
Umm, the reason for this not getting much attention has to do with its script and story. It's too denpa and a bit nonsensical, even Japanese cannot follow it. That's what I've been hearing in 2ch, mostly.

But all of them agrees that this one has the best moe+character design of the season.
Old 2011-05-14, 05:11   Link #826
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Weird, because I can follow it just fine. Of course, I'm an older viewer and can read into things the kids who normally watch it can't. Yes, it's weird, but that's one of it's charms. Of course, it's also 2ch. There's a reason why people there aren't well-liked.
Old 2011-05-14, 05:29   Link #827
tsunade666

the caliber of 2ch people should be fine by the level of denpaness of this show. Well they are the 2ch people. Reasons why otaku sounds bad in it's own country despite being godly in other countries.
Old 2011-05-14, 06:21   Link #828
Itlandm
Porcupine

This episode increased my suspicion that not only is Erio an alien, but so is Meme! Actually, I suspect that Meme is an alien soul incarnated in a human body. According to bestselling Japanese author Ryuho Okawa, it has become increasingly common lately for souls from other star systems to incarnate on Earth, especially from the Pleiades.

It is not just that she is behaving strangely, as if she is not used to human communication. Lately it seems that when she is in heat, she has problems controlling her human sexuality. Perhaps she comes from a species that propagates by dividing, as Erio says: "I have never divided before." That does not sound like something a human would even think of.

So her alien soul is not used to controlling human sexual impulses, and they suddenly run out of control and she behaves like a cavewoman. I could write her behavior off as teasing for the first 4 eps, but now she looks like she has seriously lost it.
Itlandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-14, 10:47   Link #829
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I went back and watched ep1 of Bakemonogatari, just to compare. Denpa Onna lacks the wonderful and wonderfully playful and complex Shaftiness, and the hints of third-wall breaking in the flashes of text frames. Bakemonogatari's humor is harsher and sharper. And perhaps the violence of Senjougahara appeals to a different demographic. To me, the main strength of Bakemonogatari is how great the art is, at the level of things in modern art museums, in some places. But I still think Denpa Onna is a "worthy successor." Just not an equal.

As for being confusing, isn't Bakemonogatari fairly confusing? But perhaps Denpa Onna has a less serious tone, riding as it does on moe and fantasy humour. But with a lot of serious humanity lurking beneath them, it seems to me. Meme, Erio, Ryuuko, Maehara -- they all have serious interior feelings and serious life situations, just lightly obscured by ridiculous humour. It's a kind of "gap seriousness," as opposed to "gap moe."

As far as I recall, recent shows that have been big hits on 2channel include K-On, Bakemonogatari, Railgun, Madoka Magica, and AnoHana. I don't see the commonality, beyond having cute girls in them, which is pretty common in a lot of anime. Perhaps otaku are a bit more complex than they seem. A Japanese general public that enjoys raunchy and stupid variety programs can hardly criticize otaku for their taste.

By the way, what I watched was an episode of the BD version of Bakemonogatari. Wow!
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-14, 11:09   Link #830
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I have to agree. I think Bakemonogatari is far more confusing than Denpa, but I also think Bakemonogatari has the edge over it. But I also just want to say that I think Denpa has an edge over Arakawa Under The Bridge, now.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-14, 12:24   Link #831
Icy.Tear
二人は独自の世界を展開

To tell the truth, I think that Bakemonogatari was a job well done, given how goddamn complex the light novel is. My brain hurts trying to read it.

Arakawa is pure gag, but I like Denpa more. Erio is just too cute to resist, for me.
Icy.Tear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-14, 12:27   Link #832
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Dear fucking lord, she's forty years old?!?!?! By what force of nature?!?!
Not a force of nature, but super-advanced alien technology!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soconfused View Post
Ehhhh, this episode was a bit too much for me. Waaay to much, ahh, "moe", for my taste. I'm in awe that anyone could like Meme even more after this episode. I want to punch her in the face half the time, she would drive me up the wall. And Ryuuko further proofs that she apparently has the mind of a 10 year old. Like someone else said, the entire town is filled with nut cases, possibly a social experiment conducted by the local insane asylum.
Sounds as if this episode were way too much for you. Actually, there at least some people in the town who retain their sanity; the store owner who refused to hire Erio is the first example the viewers have seen so far.

Too much Shaft can be unappealing at times. However, Denpa Onna avoids overflowing the viewer's eyes with moe, loli, and tsun with a serious main character. Makoto can be thought of as a substitute for the audience, constantly in disbelief of how crazy everyone around him is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
And I can't for the life of me figure out why AnoHana - easily my pick for best show of the Spring - is so popular when it profiles - at least to me - as radically different than your typical popular series.
Dash overdose, man.

A shonen show can be popular, but that does not mean all shonen shows are popular. Indeed, when the usual genres of anime get old, people start looking for enjoyment in new ones. You pick Anohana to be the best show of Spring, so why is it so hard to imagine many other people have as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
Umm, the reason for this not getting much attention has to do with its script and story. It's too denpa and a bit nonsensical, even Japanese cannot follow it. That's what I've been hearing in 2ch, mostly.

But all of them agrees that this one has the best moe+character design of the season.
I doubt audiences being able to follow the plot being a requirement for popularity. After all, this is the same country which produced FLCL, Gurren Lagann, Bakemonogatari and now Denpa Onna.
Deconstructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-14, 13:42   Link #833
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Personally I don't see this series as very close to Bakemonogatari, since that is often dialogue driven but in some moments also action packed. In this sense I see Denpa Onna as closer to the pure comedies in Shaft style, such as SoreMachi and Arakawa. They all have one thing is common, the weight on the show is almost totally on the characters, they're not entirely plotless but certainly without strong characters they wouldn't do much. A plus in favour of Denpa Onna when compared to those is its depth, I don't know how to put it, but it justs seem to have one or two additional layers in it. Such plus could either be given by Erio's cuteness, by Irino Miyu's usual greatness especially when it comes to internal monologues, or perhaps as a sum of various factors, supporting characters with their own side stories included.

I don't know how many times I've truly enjoyed a character telling us about his "ordinary" hospital days such as in episode 4. Or the whole sense of whimsicalness mixed to realism (when the shoppers tell Erio they can't take in someone with her past because it would ruin their image, I find it awfully true and down to earth) of episode 5. Speaking of which, I really would like to see her going back to school.

All of this with a still lingering subject about unspecified aliens, or 40 years old women looking 25. Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko is certainly blessed by a whole lot of things, if it could just keep this pace it may easily become one of the best series of this season.
Old 2011-05-14, 13:48   Link #834
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Definitely more like Arakawa humor imo ... I agree with Pellissier there. Although I myself did not really like the Arakawa series, I am thus far enjoying this one.

About the Bakemonogatari similarities - it seems that "supernatural"/sci-fi elements are not really spelled out in this one like in Bakemonogatari. In Denpa it somehow feels as if that element is never spelled out, but b/c of that very fact the viewers are always wondering in a small corner of their mind, like a nagging question one can't remember the answer to. But b/c of that very fact it helps provide some of the ... err ... "unique ambiance" of the story.

Last edited by Flower; 2011-05-14 at 14:17. Reason: Can't spell -_-
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-14, 14:03   Link #835
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
I disagree, SoreMachi, and the rest of manga based comedies that SHAFT did recently, had a very different structure compared to Denpa and Bake. The manga based adaption were based on packing several usually unrelated chapters in one episode, while the LN adaptions have multi-episode story arcs. Another similarity is that both Denpa and Bake are dialogue-based, and lack significant action (granted though, less prevalent in Bake). This is true for the manga adaptions also, but the multiple chapters within an episode, make the dialogues and gags easier to present and follow, while for the LNs they even pick dialogues from former episodes and even arcs to base the new ones, therefore they require more attention.

And by the way Bakemonogatari did not sell like crazy only because the source material was successfully adapted, but because for the general audience characters like Hitagi and Araragi are worshipped by otaku, but are also role-models for the female audience (be it fujoshi or jaded OLs) there more to it, but there are mentioned already in the relevant sub-forum. In any case, however cute the characters of Denpa are, they do not have the general appeal of Hitagi and Araragi.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-14, 14:06   Link #836
tsunade666

bakemonogatari got ararararagi-kun dealing with oddities. I think that's far better than Mako-kun dealing with denpa mom and daughter. I like the fantasy motif more of bake than the word/character driven denpa.

Denpa might be a good successor to bake but the story are different, that I see it not topping bake in my dictionary.
Old 2011-05-14, 14:13   Link #837
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Why does Denpa onna have to top bakemonogatari? The two are very different stories. Enjoy each on their own merits.
Old 2011-05-14, 14:40   Link #838
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I think more of the posters here need to review their perceptions of "40 year olds" ... especially asian ones I know several 40-somethings that still get "carded"....
Old 2011-05-14, 14:51   Link #839
00Coyote

There are many things Shaft does well, but one thing that has always impressed me about Shaft is their timing. Dramatic, comedic, that down to the frame finesse of when something should happen, how long to hold that awkward silence, when to insert that stapler. Timing is an obscure art, it is easy to get sorta right, and even if you nail it, if the audience isn't paying attention they can miss the effect entirely. In Denpa 5, this finesse was there, but overshadowed by the onslaught of visuals and insanity (and SABABABABAA!).

Combined this timing with Shaft's pacing, not so subtle visuals, and that they seem to have fun producing their shows, makes for a viewing experience that is truly unique, and entertaining most of the time.
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-14, 15:01   Link #840
tsunade666

what do you mean by carded?

Tags
aliens, ecchi, light novel adaptation, romance, school life, seinen, shaft, shounen, slice of life