AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2004-04-26, 14:41   Link #1
Arwyn

Crescendo

I never have been very interested in the ero-games, I always though they were mostly tentacles and tits, but after a friend of mine kept bugging me to try it, I finally took a look at Crescendo.

Boy was I surprised.

I can honestly say I was pretty wrong. The plot and storylines were very well developed. The characters were all well developed and internally consistant. The voice acting was excellent. As the story progressed, you really are drawn into the story. Despite my earlier preception, there were very few H-scenes, and while graphic, they werent gratuitous. In fact, they were worked into the storyline very well, and were handled very seriously, if somewhat overly graphic.

In short, I was wrong. The story was very well done, and a belivably realistic romance. The writing really impressed me, it wasnt goofy, or unrealistic, it was quite real, although the english translations looked a little akward in a few places, although there was some liscense taken with the translations. I know a little Japanese, and caught myself thinking "thats not what they said" a couple of times.

All in all, I have to admit despite my ealier opinions on the genre, this was a very well done game. I havent seen something this well written in a game for quite a long time.

The reason I posted, is that I check several of the threads here before I finally decided to try it. My thanks to you for the information, its what finally made me decided to try it.

I still feel a little stupid playing it, but I am impressed enough with it that I'm going to go try some of the other storylines.
Arwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-26, 17:13   Link #2
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn
[...] although the english translations looked a little akward in a few places, although there was some liscense taken with the translations. I know a little Japanese, and caught myself thinking "thats not what they said" a couple of times.
This is G-Collections' weakest point, I'm afraid. They have a bad habit of dumbing down conversations too much, and sometimes outright change them completely. They also drop honorifics, sometimes making weird localized replacements. As an example, take Tottemo Pheromone. Near the end of Erika's storyline, she asks the main character to call her just Erika (as in "no honorific"). G-Collections changed this to "Call me darling" or something like that. Then the main character asks the same of her (he wants her to call him just Takuya), G-Collections changed it to "honey". So when you hear Erika's voice actor say just "Takuya", the text says "honey", and it just feels downright stupid.

This has been brought up on their boards several times, but G-Collections doesn't seem to have any intent of changing it. This habit of removing or editing stuff related to Japanese culture is pretty sad. I personally detest dumbing down games like that, but G-Collections seem set in their way of doing things. I can only hope that this changes in the future, but I highly doubt it.

Quote:
All in all, I have to admit despite my ealier opinions on the genre, this was a very well done game. I havent seen something this well written in a game for quite a long time.

The reason I posted, is that I check several of the threads here before I finally decided to try it. My thanks to you for the information, its what finally made me decided to try it.

I still feel a little stupid playing it, but I am impressed enough with it that I'm going to go try some of the other storylines.
When you play Kaho's and Kyoko's storylines, you'll notice that they are very linked. You get to see some of the events from another point of view, and some of what is happening in one storyline is elaborated in the other. It's very good IMO, and the "ah, so THAT'S what happened" effect you get afterwards is pretty rewarding.

One thing you might want to do is to save the game at each decision point, as some decisions for a few of the characters branch the storyline pretty good, even when it's obviously a "bad" choice. After finishing the storyline of that character, try reloading each point and see what happens. Sometimes very little happens, other times it offers glimpses of events from a different angle. This game is highly replayable that way.

And by the way, a story ending without a sex-scene having taken place is considered a "bad" ending, even if it doesn't seem that way. If there's no sex near the end, it's a bad ending regardless of any happy feelings and the fact that you and the girl get together (in those that you do).

Some other games you might want to try:

Kana - Little Sister also has a good story, though it has little branching in the storyline until the very end because the game's focus is mainly on one girl. Still, it's a good title with a moving story. My personal favorite, along with Crescendo.

Private Nurse is another popular title amongst those who like ero-games with low sex-content. It has a rather limited storyline branching as well.

Critical Point uses a sci-fi storyline instead of a purely romantic theme, and it has more sex than the other two titles. But it has a lot of branches, and lots of endings. Some decisions will kill you, but that's what the save function is for. The way the main "villain" of the story changes depending on the branch you are on makes repeated playthroughs interesting.
Old 2004-04-26, 17:46   Link #3
Arwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG3
This is G-Collections' weakest point, I'm afraid. They have a bad habit of dumbing down conversations too much, and sometimes outright change them completely. They also drop honorifics, sometimes making weird localized replacements.
Yep, this bugged me a lot when I was hearing the voice track saying "Sasaki-san" and reading "Ryo" constantly. Ditto with the some of the inconsistant translations, I kept noticing they would change the translation of daijobu, nani, ect. Not enough to totally distrupt the story, but annoying on occassions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG3
This has been brought up on their boards several times, but G-Collections doesn't seem to have any intent of changing it. This habit of removing or editing stuff related to Japanese culture is pretty sad. I personally detest dumbing down games like that, but G-Collections seem set in their way of doing things. I can only hope that this changes in the future, but I highly doubt it.
Thats is a shame. I would much rather see them keep the honorifics and other cultural items in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG3
When you play Kaho's and Kyoko's storylines, you'll notice that they are very linked. You get to see some of the events from another point of view, and some of what is happening in one storyline is elaborated in the other. It's very good IMO, and the "ah, so THAT'S what happened" effect you get afterwards is pretty rewarding.

One thing you might want to do is to save the game at each decision point, as some decisions for a few of the characters branch the storyline pretty good, even when it's obviously a "bad" choice. After finishing the storyline of that character, try reloading each point and see what happens. Sometimes very little happens, other times it offers glimpses of events from a different angle. This game is highly replayable that way.

And by the way, a story ending without a sex-scene having taken place is considered a "bad" ending, even if it doesn't seem that way. If there's no sex near the end, it's a bad ending regardless of any happy feelings and the fact that you and the girl get together (in those that you do).
I noticed some of that. I must admit, some of the bad endings were really well done. Emotionally painful, but realistic and well done.

Ran through the first time, got the bad ending, and sat back at the end and was thinking "ouch, that SUCKED" and actually felt bad for the characters. Never expected that.

Figured out the sexless endings were "bad", although some of the bad endings where you "score" were pretty grim.

I must admit though, after running through after a couple of bad endings, the good ending with Kaori was really very well done. So I will go back and check the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG3
Some other games you might want to try:

Kana - Little Sister also has a good story, though it has little branching in the storyline until the very end because the game's focus is mainly on one girl. Still, it's a good title with a moving story. My personal favorite, along with Crescendo.
Hmm, just out of curiosity, after looking at the description of this title, this sounded a hell of a lot like the movie that Ryo and Kaori went out to see......

Thanks for all the info though, I am actually glad I tried this out.
Old 2004-04-27, 07:52   Link #4
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

Quote:
Hmm, just out of curiosity, after looking at the description of this title, this sounded a hell of a lot like the movie that Ryo and Kaori went out to see......
That's because the movie in Kaori's storyline is actually a cameo appearance of the main characters from Kana - Little Sister

The part you see in the movie is taken from near the end of one the intellectual paths in Kana. Kana - Little Sister has 6 endings, though 3 of them are only slight variations of each other.

The game itself isn't voiced like that movie was, though. But even so, the majority of players (that I've spoken to) thinks that Kana - Little Sister wouldn't be as good if it was voiced. Mostly because it would require very good voice actors, and the risk of mediocre actors ruining the mood would be high.
Old 2004-04-27, 09:34   Link #5
Arwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG3
That's because the movie in Kaori's storyline is actually a cameo appearance of the main characters from Kana - Little Sister

The part you see in the movie is taken from near the end of one the intellectual paths in Kana. Kana - Little Sister has 6 endings, though 3 of them are only slight variations of each other.

The game itself isn't voiced like that movie was, though. But even so, the majority of players (that I've spoken to) thinks that Kana - Little Sister wouldn't be as good if it was voiced. Mostly because it would require very good voice actors, and the risk of mediocre actors ruining the mood would be high.
Hmm, thought so.

And I can see the point on the voice acting. So far, I have been very impressed with the voice in Crescendo. The voice actors dont hold back at all, the actress for Ayame certainly surprised me, she was very emotional.

Still working my way through it, and I have been pretty amazed at the direction some of the storylines take. Ayame's in particular was ROUGH! I was quite surprised by the direction it took, and more than a little uncomfortable following through some of the more painfully emotional parts.

Still pretty impressed with the game.
Old 2004-04-27, 11:01   Link #6
TronDD
Team the box!

I might have to pick this one up. I had the same preconception of ero-games as you and Kana was the one I experimented with.

I think they could chop out the sex scenes and not effect anything but they didn't get in the way, either. I still think I'd rather these games didn't have them. I know some are released for all ages but mostly for console and only in Japanese as far as I know.

I keep meaning to play Kana again to see the other endings. There is even a character in the game I never saw at all. I just can't bring myself to play it again. I was bummed at the end of that one.

So, another recommendation for Kana, and I'll pick up Crescendo. If people buy them, hopefully more will get translated.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-27, 11:37   Link #7
Arwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
I might have to pick this one up. I had the same preconception of ero-games as you and Kana was the one I experimented with.

I think they could chop out the sex scenes and not effect anything but they didn't get in the way, either. I still think I'd rather these games didn't have them. I know some are released for all ages but mostly for console and only in Japanese as far as I know.

I keep meaning to play Kana again to see the other endings. There is even a character in the game I never saw at all. I just can't bring myself to play it again. I was bummed at the end of that one.

So, another recommendation for Kana, and I'll pick up Crescendo. If people buy them, hopefully more will get translated.
I can honestly say that its really pretty good. I agree with you on the sex scenes, I havent seen Kana, but Crescendos are appropriate, if somewhat graphic. In all honesty, for a couple of the storylines, it might be hard for them to chop the sex scenes out and still keep the storyline intact.

I can honestly say that the game is good, the voice talent is excellent, and the storyline doesnt pull any punches. Some of the endings are rough. If you like KGNE, Kanon, or Da Capo, you would like this.
Old 2004-04-27, 11:51   Link #8
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

Out of curiosity, did you replay the game after you got all the character's endings? There is a secret 6th character unlocked if you do (very sad story).
Village Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-27, 12:22   Link #9
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
I must admit though, after running through after a couple of bad endings, the good ending with Kaori was really very well done. So I will go back and check the rest.
As far as favorites go, Kaori's story branch is the one of the best in my opinion. Good balance of drama, tension and romance--sex scenes even if you're also considering that. But it's her story that counts.

For outright impact, I guess I would have to say it's tie between the story branches of the main's sister and his blonde-haired classmate. (forgot her name) Those two really shook me up. Even their "bad" endings are good.

Have fun playing. Even though the game is short overall, it's certainly one of the best in its genre. Well, at least for that ones that get translated into English anyway.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-27, 12:28   Link #10
Arwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot
Out of curiosity, did you replay the game after you got all the character's endings? There is a secret 6th character unlocked if you do (very sad story).
I have gotten through the complete storyline for Kaori and Ayame so far. Some of it is trial and error, I save at the decision points and see how bad I screwed up, then go back and try for the "good" ending.

I was aware of the 6th character, just working my way there.
Old 2004-04-27, 12:46   Link #11
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

If you understand Japanese, you should pick up the DVD version instead.

It's got more scenerios, and the secret character's story was expanded more.

Yes, us non-Japanese players are screwed over yet again
Old 2004-04-27, 12:51   Link #12
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

What is most disturbing about Ayame's path is the "bad" decision you have to make to get the good ending. I seriously replayed the game for hours and hours until I tried changing "that" decision:

Spoiler for Crescendo - Ayame:
Old 2004-04-27, 14:34   Link #13
Arwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG3
What is most disturbing about Ayame's path is the "bad" decision you have to make to get the good ending. I seriously replayed the game for hours and hours until I tried changing "that" decision:

Spoiler for Crescendo - Ayame:
You and me both. I seriously was creeped out on that one, and the difference was indeed only so-so, all for a WHOLE lot more angst.

I seriously hope the Kaho/Kyoko stories are nice and happy. I still really like the Kaori line though.... helllloooooo nurse
Old 2004-04-27, 14:47   Link #14
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
I seriously hope the Kaho/Kyoko stories are nice and happy. I still really like the Kaori line though.... helllloooooo nurse
Spoiler:
Old 2004-04-27, 14:51   Link #15
Arwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe
Spoiler:
After Ayame, that doesnt sound so bad. I may save them for last though, since I understand that the blond girls storyline is a little rough as well.
Old 2004-04-27, 15:15   Link #16
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

Kaho's storyline has so much angst -_-
Old 2004-04-27, 15:18   Link #17
Arwyn

Quote:
Worse then Ayame?
Old 2004-04-27, 20:33   Link #18
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

Quote:
It does? Errr... Honestly, compared to Ayame's path, I can't really see the angst in Kaho's storyline. A little conflict maybe, but angst? Nah.

Yuka's path (the "blond girl"), on the other hand... That's a bit angsty, not to mention slightly disturbing near the end. Man, I felt like killing someone after that one...
Old 2004-04-28, 01:32   Link #19
Arwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG3
It does? Errr... Honestly, compared to Ayame's path, I can't really see the angst in Kaho's storyline. A little conflict maybe, but angst? Nah.

Yuka's path (the "blond girl"), on the other hand... That's a bit angsty, not to mention slightly disturbing near the end. Man, I felt like killing someone after that one...
Just finished Kyoko and Yukas storylines.

Kyoko's was sweet. No angst, not heavy emotion, but good. Made you feel good for the characters. Nice little happy romance.

Yuka's was more than a bit angsty. Very bittersweet story with a happy ending. And I agree with you sentiment, those students needed a nice friendly chat with Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson. Definately got to me.

Yuka's storyline was so emotional, I honestly didnt have the guts to go back and try the "bad" storyline. If the "good" ending made it feel like getting kicked in the guts a couple of times, Im afraid to see the "bad" one........

I think Yuka's story is actually the most powerful emotionally, followed by Ayame. As far as all the stoylines so far, my favorite is still Kaori, but Yuka is right behind her.

Im pretty damn impressed, and even more surprised. Very glad I tried it.
Old 2004-04-28, 02:19   Link #20
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
I think Yuka's story is actually the most powerful emotionally, followed by Ayame. As far as all the stoylines so far, my favorite is still Kaori, but Yuka is right behind her.
Heh, I told you. And I'm with you on your favorites so far. My favorites are also Kaori followed by Yuka. Ayame's story is right behind theirs. You might also like Kaho's too.

I just wish the game was a bit longer. It's a pity that a good game such as this doesn't last long.