Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-09-06, 09:26   Link #1
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Dust Devil - Real or Fake?

Take a look at this clip (2mb WMV file) and see what you think. Real or Fake?

Personally I think it's real...
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-06, 10:16   Link #2
MidoriShinobi
Boha-haha!!

Send a message via AIM to MidoriShinobi Send a message via MSN to MidoriShinobi
I thought you meant like a demon, haha!
Yeah, I guess it's real.. I mean..

I don't see why it couldn't be.
MidoriShinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-06, 10:28   Link #3
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

I geuss I should add that it was originally posted on a CG/VFX website, even though it originally came from a Japanese news report, some people think it's been 'doctored' - for example the camera tracking is very smooth, a bit like FX tracking in movies and the swirls themselves look a bit like CG...
Old 2004-09-06, 10:44   Link #4
Tsukino Neko

I will not stay there like they did...
i think it's true.
Maybe they were filming with good equipment.
Tsukino Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-06, 10:47   Link #5
FrostLich

Have u guys ever seen the smoke from 9-11? Cuz now thats a Smoke demon for sure. I dont have a picture but if someone else does, it would be nice of them to post it. It was in newspaper and lots of websites. The smoke actually resembled a demon face.
FrostLich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-06, 10:52   Link #6
Tsukino Neko

Smoke that looks like a demon!?
Sounds fishy to me...
Tsukino Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-06, 11:03   Link #7
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

This one? ...think it's just one of those urban miffs...
Old 2004-09-06, 11:08   Link #8
Grona
Big Damit!

Geeze, demon faces everywhere, from the WTC to the old Canadian $2 bill
Grona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-06, 11:08   Link #9
TronDD
Team the box!

I've seen other footage of stuff like that happening. Within the last week I watched a show about tornadoes on Discovery and they showed some of those small whirl wind things.

I don't think it's fake at all.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-06, 11:20   Link #10
Anbu_33

Send a message via MSN to Anbu_33
hehe , thats the funniest thing ive ever seen , about it being real , doubt it , well at least i dont think its real , just looks odd , and can that even happen , cuz ive seen those little ones suddenly appear but this was huge.
Anbu_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-06, 11:49   Link #11
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex
I remember that, people imagination is really wild, if I stay looking at all that footage long enough, Im sure I can even find anime characters people want to see what they want to see after all.

That mini tornado was really cool, I cant see why it would be a fake. That reminds when I watch a bunch of bags and dust and leaves flying in a little circle ( like in the american beauty movie, but no, it wasnt the most beautiful thing Ive ever seen and I didnt tape it ) I couldnt resist and I jumped in the middle of it destrying the little mini tornado
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-06, 11:50   Link #12
Necrodeath

Quote:
0mg!
Decepticon attack....

and this one looks a bit like baal...

I think I've played too much D2:LoD...

On-topic: I think it's a bit fast how it grows...I mean...If you see other twister-thingies, they take a while to form, this does it in a few seconds. Besides that, it looks real to me...
Necrodeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-06, 13:57   Link #13
^danshi^
running bear

Quote:
I geuss I should add that it was originally posted on a CG/VFX website, even though it originally came from a Japanese news report, some people think it's been 'doctored' - for example the camera tracking is very smooth, a bit like FX tracking in movies and the swirls themselves look a bit like CG...
The site where the video is located deals with weather phenomenons (go to http://www.saevert.de/ an click on 'Staubteufel') and aside from that it wouldn't make sense to make a CG dust devil with all these objects flying around that realistic for just showing it in the news.

And about the faces in the smoke: I see faces in my ingrain wallpaper if I just stare at it long enough, too.
^danshi^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-06, 14:24   Link #14
Thelastguardian

It is only a dust storm.

You could even get a smaller storm than this one (two persons' height).

Nothing rare (very exciting though), but still you got to wonder "were the kids' playing so intensively that their kicks swirl into storm?!! "
Old 2004-09-06, 15:06   Link #15
ramune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian
but still you got to wonder "were the kids' playing so intensively that their kicks swirl into storm?!! "
That's exactly what I was thinking too!

It looks real to me. Why do they have to fake it?
ramune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-06, 16:57   Link #16
nooc

Sun shining on a football field consisting of sand.
Sand gets hot and air rises upwards.
Some special conditions are met and the moving air creates a mini tornado.
This is very normal.
nooc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-06, 16:59   Link #17
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!

Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
I use to see ones like that going across fields in the summer evey now and then. They didn't look quite as large, but they didn't have as much dust to pick up. Some going across cut hay fields would pick up quite a bit of hay and take it up 30'-40'.
Sakaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-06, 17:03   Link #18
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Why should it be fake?
Things like that happen.. it only looks so spectacular because it goes over a very dusty soccer field and all the dust gets sucked up. If it would happen over a wet, urban area you wouldnt even see anything, except some pieces of garbage flying around.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-06, 18:10   Link #19
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Ok, being that I study weather as a hobby I took a closer look at that dustdevil and it is real. Here's what I saw of the circumstances leading up to, through, and following this event.

1. The wind crossing the field was already in a disturbed state, ie it had a very strong urge to rotate on its own, although the gameplay was disturbing that flow.
2. The dustdevil initiated when a strong gust of wind entered the end of the field. Do note that the winds are strightline to begin with.
3. The gust is then caught by a second gust of air traveing in from the side, strikes a banner and several other flat objects and redirected against the incoming straightline wind gust.
4. Wind sheer occurs and a small vortex is created. This in turn causes a brief low preasure that prompts the winds from both directions to increase their speed.
5. Watch how quickly it grows. There is tramendous wind sheer being generated by the end of this ball field which just keeps feeding in on itself. It also is living skyward very fast which means it's not only warm, but you're getting a fair amount of lift and thermal displacement caused by what I can assume is a very warm, and obviously dry playing field. (if the field weren't dry, nobody would have noticed this dustdevil in all honesty)
6. Wind speed increase from 10-15mph to nearly 50mph very quickly (reference #4 and the sudden preasure drop. This is partially due to that plus a variety of other factors) and the rotation is very tight thus increasing sheer, windspeed, and rotation. (notice how it kinda feeds on itself to grow?)
7. Ground speed is very slow which means that while there is a good wind feeding this, most of this is now powered by winds higher up (notice the little fold out shools. Only one falls over from the wind. That means winds on the outside remained near 10-15mph. Notice how the longer it goes the more disformed and irradict it becomes? That's because it's loosing the source of its energy. IE the gusts are dying, thus the vortex is becoming irregular and falling apart.
8. The top begins falling apart well before it reaches the edge of the field (notice how the top quicky looses continuity and starts flying apart as the gust begins to head towards the edge of the field) and upon contacting the tree the winds at the ground are all that's powering this and those are quickly arrested and all rotation eventually stops. At this point the winds become horizontal again and the dust that was taken up by the dust devil is taken away in the winds.

This is a physically accurate dust devil and by all accounts could not be created by CGI, so it's very real. If this was a cgi creation its creator would have to be a genious because cgi in its own small way has to be ordered, the weather does not. So my opinion is that this is very, very real.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-06, 20:25   Link #20
Lime-chan
Pandoras child

Send a message via ICQ to Lime-chan
Talking

Doesn't look to me like a fake either.

I've seen other "dust devils" before - though not as big and strong as this one - and it just happens to be a place where something like that *can* exist.
It's just like Raiden says: all you need is a very dusty/sandy ground, the right weather, wind, heat and a bit of luck and you'll get one hell of a chibi-tornado.
^__^
I've been in the Sahara desert, I know what I'm talking about!

Plus on second thought: Why faking something like a little tornado? I don't see a reason for the TV-people to make it up even if it *is* quite possible.

Maybe some evil politicans are trying to scare the people away so they can take over the place and build random Labs for inventing weapons of mass-destruction... naaah...
Lime-chan is offline   Reply With Quote