AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-07-21, 01:13   Link #1581
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

and saki who relies on extreme luck ..........

wait was that right or chance coincedence??

or is it the wanting to win or wanting to get plus minus zero powers??
technomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 01:39   Link #1582
tjalorak
Fax Caelestis

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomo12 View Post
and saki who relies on extreme luck ..........

wait was that right or chance coincedence??

or is it the wanting to win or wanting to get plus minus zero powers??
Both Koromo and Saki seem to have a specialty; however, this specialty arises out of their ability to KNOW certain things. Saki seems to know what's in the dead wall. Koromo seems to both know the last tile in the wall and be able to influence and partially control the flow of the round.
Old 2009-07-21, 01:55   Link #1583
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

w8 i think the influence part is becaue she is cute hahahaha

even i would be influenced by cute things :3

any way an onsen episode after the finals is a must for veiwers pleasure ehehhe

female skinship anyone???
Old 2009-07-21, 02:14   Link #1584
emauser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjalorak View Post
Both Koromo and Saki seem to have a specialty; however, this specialty arises out of their ability to KNOW certain things. Saki seems to know what's in the dead wall. Koromo seems to both know the last tile in the wall and be able to influence and partially control the flow of the round.
That's just part of their abilities. IMO Saki also has insane amount of luck. I mean getting a concealed kong in most of the rounds is incredible. And in the rest she is capable of getting melded kong. She is also good at reading other players. Like when she guessed that Yumi is getting Kokushi (at that time she also stated that she can read other's discards so that also played a role). I think that she doesn't sense only dead wall but in some degree what all tiles are. In her strategy calling pung would be useless if she didn't know she would get fourth tile to make a kong.

As for Koromo it's like Touka (I think) stated: control. It's about making other players think: "Will she get the last tile?", "If I call now will I be able to throw her off?". It's like manipulating others so they don't think about their own hands and as a result are playing into hers. She messes with their minds and sometimes even let's them win to strike harder in the next hand. And there's also the "power" (for the lack of better word) that stops others from getting past tenpai or even getting one.
emauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 02:41   Link #1585
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Like when she guessed that Yumi is getting Kokushi
Well that is not terribly difficult. Actually it is painfully obvious when someone is going for a Kokushi. But yeah, she's good at reading other players anyway.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 04:31   Link #1586
scr
my sides are in orbit

Due to one thing and another i'm far too late to post a review for Saki 16. ma ii ka...

Spoiler for eps16:

I think we'll see Koromo's backstory in the next episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emauser View Post
Well as Hisa described the match: "The flower garden blooming under the full moon". Add Teru to that and you get a mass slaughter in flower garden blooming under full moon. That's a nice picture. I wonder what the fourth monster could add to this?
Wow, that sounds like something that come straight from...
Spoiler for eh:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjalorak View Post
Oh. Speaking of monsters, very disappointed that the animators were lazy and didn't add in this shot of Koromo for when she scares Tsuruga and instead substituted some weird caricature of Koromo with glowing blue face.
Um, this is really the domain of MADHOUSE, not Gonzo.
Dang, MADHOUSE is currently also riding on the yuri bandwagon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kniteowl View Post
Looks like Saki is gonna be powered up and ready to release her Persona Phantom.

I can't wait & see what she does... maybe something terrific,

Simultaneous Rons?
Heavenly Hand?
4 Kans to force a draw?

I dunno but it should be epic.

Hopefully Kodomo Koromo will be shocked.

BTW I didn't understand the Kanjiki & Kanbara talk, can someone explain?
Natch, Saki will win through the power of friendship, and Koromo, unable to believe how people can work together in orchestrating such attack, will go Shadow.
... Shadow Koromo, hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans-Fat View Post
[...] The whole vibe I have been receiving in the past couple of episodes reminds me of the Pegasus battle. I thought I was the only person who felt like I was watching yugioh all over again. Ahhh the memories, so nostalgic.
Hm? Episode 15 had me laughing rocking my fat belly, didn't expect an Unlimited Blade Works out of nowhere (by a similarly Badass Normal character, at that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molenir View Post
I'm really starting to get tired of this show. It was good at first, but has slowly gone downhill. This last episode just about does it for me. Not sure if I'm even going to bother to finish watching the show. Maybe I'll just wait til its done, and check out the end to see how things turn out. Plenty of other animes out there worth spending my time watching instead. Maybe I'll finish it up if it has a good ending, otherwise, this is just getting too silly.
Personally, i can't stand any show where the battle drags for episodes *cough* Dragon Ball *cough* especially if it's high-tension, but i'm here for my weekly dose of yuri. The fact that even in the manga this battle is not finished yet only adds to my curiosity.

Feel free to come back when the battle is over (at most in 3 episodes --weeks-- i think).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlotte View Post

Btw what is with the full moon affecting her strength shtick...Is she a werewolf in addition to a rabbit now?

Yup, she's a Shadow creature. That's why Saki should burn her dread (of scary Mahjong players), increase her Charisma(?!), and save the world.
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.

Last edited by scr; 2009-07-21 at 09:10. Reason: Why do people keep getting delusion about Teru? i think she's a nice person (Mahjong monstrosity excepted)
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 05:10   Link #1587
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
w8 i think the influence part is becaue she is cute hahahaha

even i would be influenced by cute things :3

any way an onsen episode after the finals is a must for veiwers pleasure ehehhe

female skinship anyone???
They already had an onsen episode. You'll have to make due with a beach episode instead.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 07:08   Link #1588
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
They already had an onsen episode. You'll have to make due with a beach episode instead.
aw come on you call that onsen??

iom talking about is the 4 school will have some kind or farewell onsen party and all of them (except that guy who likes saki) is invited
Old 2009-07-21, 07:51   Link #1589
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Just watched ep 16 and....damn it's getting really interesting now

The captain round make me feel like party monster hunting when everyone try to banish Kodomo Koromo for good, but the only things they can do so far is turn against each other.

Hmm...... so Koromo gain more power as the night fall , eh? Obviously her rabbit ears explain her relating power with the moon...... (actually add her Lunatic Eyes and it totally remind me of Reisen Udongein Inaba)

Too bad, in normal condition she could win, but Saki would soon be charged with yuri friendship power and be ready for a real come back.....
Old 2009-07-21, 11:10   Link #1590
Spectrum
Bene Gesserit witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
No, I just mean that she can play at a good level without having any special powers whatsoever. By badass normal I mean that most high tier people in this show have on special technique or two, but Kana can somehow keep up without none of those. Nothing more, nothing less. Personally I rate Yumi much higher than her.

Yumi doesn't have a specially rock solid style BTW. In any case that would be Nodoka, who plays everything by the book.
Okay, I figured.

And yeah, I misspoke. I meant more that she seems relatively non-flashy as compared to the luck demons she's hunting or even some of the 'flow' controllers (which is ridiculous, quite frankly).
Old 2009-07-21, 22:52   Link #1591
tjalorak
Fax Caelestis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
Okay, I figured.

And yeah, I misspoke. I meant more that she seems relatively non-flashy as compared to the luck demons she's hunting or even some of the 'flow' controllers (which is ridiculous, quite frankly).
She seems pretty good at lining up for doras in her hand although she hasn't been winning necessarily.
Old 2009-07-22, 01:25   Link #1592
Fishbait

Definitely not a fan of Teh Koromo's power. She practically just sits there and things just happen.

At least Saki only make things happen for herself, Teh Koromo warps the whole table

Yumi is easily the most interesting player at the table. Although the final outcome seems rather inevitable given the current state of manga and how these types of stories usually go

Last edited by Fishbait; 2009-07-22 at 01:40.
Fishbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-22, 02:44   Link #1593
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbait View Post
Definitely not a fan of Teh Koromo's power. She practically just sits there and things just happen.

At least Saki only make things happen for herself, Teh Koromo warps the whole table

Yumi is easily the most interesting player at the table. Although the final outcome seems rather inevitable given the current state of manga and how these types of stories usually go
Someone doesn't pay attention while watching, or just don't know how Mahjong works O_o.
Old 2009-07-22, 03:41   Link #1594
Jiyuu

Send a message via MSN to Jiyuu
Quote:
aw come on you call that onsen??

iom talking about is the 4 school will have some kind or farewell onsen party and all of them (except that guy who likes saki) is invited
guy? in saki? you must be mistaken :P
(well anyway the guy likes nodoka and not saki XD)
Jiyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-22, 11:36   Link #1595
Spectrum
Bene Gesserit witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
Someone doesn't pay attention while watching, or just don't know how Mahjong works O_o.
It would be more useful if you elaborated on your point instead of posting a pithy sentence effectively saying "no, you're wrong".

Just saying. =X
Old 2009-07-22, 12:28   Link #1596
TheBigN
Piercing heavens with ~s
*Author

Send a message via AIM to TheBigN Send a message via MSN to TheBigN Send a message via Yahoo to TheBigN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molenir View Post
I'm really starting to get tired of this show. It was good at first, but has slowly gone downhill.
I just like to know what's meant when you say it's gone downhill. I had a blast with 15 and 16 was alright, but then I'm more of a fan of the over the top mahjong anyway. :P

Drastic My Anime Blog- My anime blog.
TheBigN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-22, 13:35   Link #1597
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
It would be more useful if you elaborated on your point instead of posting a pithy sentence effectively saying "no, you're wrong".

Just saying. =X
I was hoping that he'll rewatch this ep instead of asking me "what was I wrong?" with that sentence.

Don't know how could people say that "She practically just sits there and things just happen.". People don't just sit there and they won a hand. They makes it happens. In case of Koromo, it's just that she completes her hand at the last tile. Of course it won't work if one of her opponent is a bad player, but I doubt that's her only way of winning.
Even when Yumi tried to change the flow, she instantly changed it back.
Old 2009-07-22, 14:07   Link #1598
Spectrum
Bene Gesserit witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
I was hoping that he'll rewatch this ep instead of asking me "what was I wrong?" with that sentence.

Don't know how could people say that "She practically just sits there and things just happen.". People don't just sit there and they won a hand. They makes it happens. In case of Koromo, it's just that she completes her hand at the last tile. Of course it won't work if one of her opponent is a bad player, but I doubt that's her only way of winning.
Even when Yumi tried to change the flow, she instantly changed it back.
Er, not entirely. While I won't presume to speak for him, my guess is he's likely referring to how, even as the announcers mention, her opponents simply cannot get into tenpai, which is absurd. Not only that, but it's not "can't get into tenpai because she wins so fast", but "can't get into tenpai unless she lets them right at the end so she can win off haitei raoyue". There is literally nothing someone can *actually* do in order to make that happen.

That's what he's probably referring to when comparing her to Saki. In order for Koromo to use her signature move, she needs to have the game drawn out long enough that no one else wins beforehand. I don't know about you, but I have *rarely* seen an exhaustive draw in personal experience. =p Compare this to Saki, while still also having similar bullshit luck powers/apparent knowledge of all hidden tiles, who's only trying to set up her own hand for a kong at the right moment (where she doesn't care nearly as much about the other players' hands).

(As a sidenote, changing the flow with just chows is also absurd. =p It's only meaningful when someone KNOWS where tiles are beforehand and are trying to adjust draws in order to get them. If it's pungs to try and repeatedly skip someone, that's different though.)
Old 2009-07-22, 14:26   Link #1599
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
I don't know about you, but I have *rarely* seen an exhaustive draw in personal experience. =p
Well.. actually its pretty common when all the players in the table got their defensive play down right. but still the fact that no one could get into tenpai for so long, which is a direct result of Koromo's influence might tick some people the wrong way.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-22, 14:36   Link #1600
Spectrum
Bene Gesserit witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Well.. actually its pretty common when all the players in the table got their defensive play down right. but still the fact that no one could get into tenpai for so long, which is a direct result of Koromo's influence might tick some people the wrong way.
Ah, I should note that I only play Canto style. Since you still have to pay when someone else screws up and someone wins off their discard, it seems more inclined towards aggression. Whereas in JP style, given that only the person who discards pays, that kind of absolute defense seems to work great.

Tags
competition, mahjong, seinen