3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.79%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.79%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-01-29, 01:34   Link #61
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
This episode.... f*kn amazing!!! Shinobu completely surprised me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I had no idea Shinobu had such lovely outspoken and playful personality. Hell, I had no idea she had a personality, period. I'm a fan of her old-style speech pattern as well. Maaya Sakamoto did an outstanding job!
^This sums up my feelings perfectly =03. That "Ka ka" laugh was so DAMN cute X03!

Another thing this ep showed me was that Araragi has so many unique, interesting relationships to other girls; Tsubasa and now Shinobu in particular. It feels like it doesn't even matter that Hitagi is his girlfriend; because he shares different types of relationships with other girls that are just as strong. Tsubasa's critique of how Araragi "worries" about her different from everyone else, including Hitagi somewhat justifies that there is something that Tsubasa has on Araragi that Hitagi can't quite possess(even though it was Tsubasa herself that said this, I agree with that sentiment). Same with Shinobu. Araragi's declaration to exist with her until the end of both of their days with them mildly embracing each other was a very powerful display of emotions to me. I mean, how can one see this, how playful Shinobu was with Araragi, almost to the point of intimacy(not as in 'sex' obviously) and think his loyalty completely lies with Hitagi? I find this more appealing than the story behind what happened to Karen.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-29, 01:38   Link #62
Silvance
Storm Vanguard
*Graphic Designer

Spoiler for ep 4:
Silvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-29, 01:56   Link #63
apr
Pedestrian

The donut in question is this thing, which is based on the Brazilian bread "Pćo de Queijo". It's got nothing to do with pondering (the verb).
Old 2012-01-29, 01:56   Link #64
sa547
*Author

Can't say much, as others before me have pointed out the bright spots on this episode. Made even more awesome with Sakamoto.. er, Shinobu now on board.

This is going to be very fun.
Old 2012-01-29, 01:59   Link #65
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by apr View Post
The donut in question is this thing, which is based on the Portuguese bread "Pćo de Queijo". It's got nothing to do with pondering (the verb).
Yes, that would be the quality that makes it a pun.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-29, 02:13   Link #66
vio5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvance View Post
Spoiler for ep 4:
It's not really the "silent treatment" in a way.

Recall that Shinobu always viewed the girls around him differently from how she looked at him and Oshino. This was pointed out during the Nadeko arc.

She's basically a tsundere in that way, she was staring at Nadeko with an annoyed look and always looked at him and Oshino more gently.
vio5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-29, 02:47   Link #67
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Yes, that would be the quality that makes it a pun.
Ate a Krispy Kreme while watching.
Old 2012-01-29, 04:19   Link #68
teja208
Critical fanboy

Dammit, it seems that I completely underestimate Tsubasa and Shinobu's characters. Another thing that surprises me is the amount of manservice in this episode. Hope I wasn't the only one who looked at Koyomi just to see if there is any reaction. Nope, nothing at all.

What I didn't get is Koyomi's lack of comment to change in Tsubasa's appearence. In the novel, did she gave any reason as to why she change them?
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-29, 04:21   Link #69
tsunade666

The first part was already lovely with a harsh Koyomi on her little sister and Hanekawa taking side with the sister that render Koyomi unable to do anything but it really cracks me up when Shinobu shows up!!! that loli vampire steals the show completely and with a laugh of "ka ka" well the last bit part was rather dark with the future of Koyomi but I won't mind staying with a loli vampire for 500 more years
Old 2012-01-29, 04:23   Link #70
Johnny
Working the bags...

Liked Hanekawa's new hairstyle, and from some of them poses on Koyomi's bed she looked like Hitagi to me...

That was an interesting topic Shinobu brought up about Koyomi's lifespan. She seems pretty confident that he'll outlive all the others. Which probably is the case, since it all started with Koyomi and her. Thus it will end with them two as well...
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-29, 04:43   Link #71
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Tsubasa bossing Hitagi helping the sisters stretching on the bed haircut moto-iinchou

Hazuki@Tsukuyomi -> Evangiline@Negima -> Mina@VampireBund -> Shinobu@Monogatari... Shinbou really has a thing for loli vampires

In between, I guess most of us were staring at loli-Shinobu and completely missed the Koyomi-man-service

Anyway, I much rather prefer her +20 years version... with more features to stare at

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
Dat fanservice.
Anyway , i wish they give us more details on their past & relationships.
Shaft is doing a great job for the decor.
Kizumonogatari

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotionExplosion View Post
Honestly, How come the Hanekawa scenes are so boring...
WHAT

When her scene ended I was about to rewatch it just to feast my eyes, but my second favourite character popped out

Anyway, the Araragi manor architecture is really something else out of this world... I love what they are doing with the backgrounds.

Also there is a ridiculous amount of animation for some scenes, it was already a challenge to follow the story with the dense dialogue, signs and trying to pay attention both to subs and voice... then there's all the ecchi-service, and now I realize that even the backgrounds capture my gaze... really a sensual overload
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-29, 05:01   Link #72
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by teja208 View Post
What I didn't get is Koyomi's lack of comment to change in Tsubasa's appearence. In the novel, did she gave any reason as to why she change them?
He was the one who cut her hair, actually.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-29, 05:40   Link #73
Shikijin

What was left out of the light novels this time...
Spoiler for chapters 11-12:

Last edited by Shikijin; 2012-01-29 at 06:41.
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-29, 06:01   Link #74
raruku

Nah, pon-de-ring joke is just a donut reference.

NISIO himself don't even know what pondering mean.
raruku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-29, 06:04   Link #75
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Tsubasa was there before her. It's just that Tsubasa was very slow in her romantic development, and never made an open play for Koyomi. In some ways Hitagi swept in and stole Koyomi from Tsubasa.

I think it's a mixture of guilt and a real fear that if Tsubasa decided to make a serious play for Koyomi instead of respecting his choice of Hitagi, that Hitagi isn't entirely certain Koyomi would choose her.

Sure she's pretty sure he would... but Koyomi's relationship with Tsubasa predates her. Koyomi saved Tsubasa first. What if he's only playing along with being Hitagi's boyfriend because he think it's what Hitagi needs to be saved?
I think that just like everybody else in the series, she thinks Tsubasa is a better match for Araragi as well. She most certainly sees her as her biggest rival, one she admires and respects and at the same time fears -I think she has a bit of an inferiority complex towards her- so it's not surprising she immediately gave in to that threat. Of course she is making a big mistake, we all know the one she should look out for is the final boss, Nadeko!

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
She's not going to wear it anymore because it's too lame.
Haha. Who gave her that helmet anyway? Meme, I assume?

I find it incredibly amusing that she pretended to be "empty" all this time and yet was boiling with anger listening to Meme's lectures/ramblings. Sulking can be hard

You know, as much as I loved this episode and the previous ones, I'm disappointed by Karen's lack of screentime in her own goddamn arc. I swear every single other heroine got more than her. That's just not right.
Old 2012-01-29, 06:37   Link #76
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
You know, as much as I loved this episode and the previous ones, I'm disappointed by Karen's lack of screentime in her own goddamn arc. I swear every single other heroine got more than her. That's just not right.
It's become a trademark of the series that the "heroine" of the arc barely gets any dialogue. Usually they're highlighted in the following arc instead.
Old 2012-01-29, 06:49   Link #77
Shikijin

Quote:
It's become a trademark of the series that the "heroine" of the arc barely gets any dialogue. Usually they're highlighted in the following arc instead.
It's not always true that they barely get any dialogue, but on this line I have to remind that this book was written after Kizumonogatari, which was about Kissshot/Shinobu, so it was natural that Shinobu would have appeared.
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-29, 06:59   Link #78
Sol Falling

I think it makes sense, on some level. The heroine of an arc is usually somehow afflicted by the supernatural. The early parts of an arc build up and give hints to us, both about the girl and the kaii which is afflicting them. Then in the climax of the plot arc the heroine gets their most significant screentime, as we see the resolution of their problem. Finally, we see a bit more of normal interaction with them in the following storyline, acting as a sort of epilogue, continuing on to be interweaved throughout the rest of the story. Not that this has to be any sort of strict guideline or anything, but I'd say most of the arcs we've seen so far could fit into this structure.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-29, 07:09   Link #79
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
True, however I feel this arc took this to the extreme. Maybe my memory is just bad, but I recall the other heroines had significantly more screentime in their arc. Karen only had what? 5 minutes of screentime in 4 episodes. That's ridiculous.
Old 2012-01-29, 07:18   Link #80
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
True, however I feel this arc took this to the extreme. Maybe my memory is just bad, but I recall the other heroines had significantly more screentime in their arc. Karen only had what? 5 minutes of screentime in 4 episodes. That's ridiculous.
Well, Tsukihi won't get any at all. :|