Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2011-03-16, 09:59   Link #1801
MaiNoKen
◕ ‿‿ ◕
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R
Well, it's at least good to hear that SHAFT intends to make good use out of this extra time, and amp up the animation quality for the final two episodes.
Nod.
Things cannot be helped anyway. Bad things happen, and delays are inevitable. I have confidence that the whole show will end in a great way. Considering the commercial success of the series, there is no way the stations will not air the final episodes.

I am looking forward to the (delayed) episode 11 and 12.
MaiNoKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 10:43   Link #1802
sa547
*Author

Just a bit of a question: in terms of ratings, how well Madoka fared after ten episodes?

EDIT: Oh, wait a minute, there's a thread devoted to such things:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...59#post3495859

Last edited by sa547; 2011-03-16 at 12:29.
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 12:39   Link #1803
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJLowrider View Post
I don't think one of these scenarios is more "right" than the other, but in my mind both are plausible. It all depends on the creators and what they want the final message of the series to be. All I will say is if they were moved to delay this episode out of a sense of self-restraint, re-working the ending isn't out of the question if it is/was originally intended to not be a particularly happy one.
Should this happen, I will be initially disappointed in Shaft for re-working their mostly depressing, somewhat fulfilling ending into rainbows and flowers.

At the same time, I will be pleased to watch the "Alternate Ending" on the DVD release, which we all know is the true ending. That certainly seems like something Shaft would do to please its fans.

I doubt that last-minute changes Urobuchi speaks of are anything too significant. It may be deciding to omit a scene, change a minor detail, or even put the opening music at the end. The core structure of the episode is probably completed at least 3 days in advance.
Deconstructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 13:20   Link #1804
hyperborealis
Lost at Sea

Do I understand this correctly? Is an episode actually produced in the same week it is aired? Could someone please provide me a link to an explanation of standard anime production practices in Japan?
hyperborealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 13:36   Link #1805
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperborealis View Post
Do I understand this correctly? Is an episode actually produced in the same week it is aired? Could someone please provide me a link to an explanation of standard anime production practices in Japan?
Depends on the studio,shaft are known for really working until the last minute, some episodes of Bakemonogatari aired unfinished, and you had to wait for blu rays for the finished version.
Old 2011-03-16, 14:33   Link #1806
Key Board
Carbon

Angry

This is HORRIBLE

not because it is delayed but because it REEKS of SELF CENSORSHIP

I seriously doubt any studio would work until the last minute. That's just sloppy.
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 14:35   Link #1807
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

Well, in the case of Bakemonogatari it was also that there were some scenes that had to be edited or even omitted for it to even make it to air. That series really did push the limits of how graphic you can get and still make it onto TV. I am thinking specifically of the last episode of the Nadeko Snake arc. Hell, I'm still kind of amazed the last episode of the Suruga Monkey arc made it to air as it was.

With regards to Madoka Magica, again it all depends on what the creators intend the ending to be. I won't fault Shaft at all however the end of the series plays out. Whatever they decide, or even have already decided, I'm sure it will be at least an acceptable ending. They're not GAINAX, after all.
DJLowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 14:41   Link #1808
Key Board
Carbon

Changing the script at the last minute is always bad. Period

Gundam Seed Destiny is a prime example of this

So I really do hope Gen is telling the truth and it's not because of self censorship because of recent events
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2011-03-16, 14:56   Link #1809
MaiNoKen
◕ ‿‿ ◕
*Scanlator

Frankly, any change of TV schedule for any programme (anime, soap opera, game show, or whatever) is understandable considering current circumstances. Urobuchi said on Twitter that they will try to make the episode better with the extra time.

Let's not be negative I think we have a very amazing series already, and Shaft and Urobuchi will not let us down.
Old 2011-03-16, 15:48   Link #1810
*Osaka*Fan*

I'm by no means an expert, but the way I think of it there are three possibilities about the airings of episodes 11 and 12.

1 - An edited airing of an already mostly-done episode, cutting out scenes reminscent of the tsunami disaster with a full version available on the BD/DVDs.

2 - A permanent re-writing and re-drawing of some portions of the episode. Not exactly a pleasant thought, but Madoka hasn't let us down, maybe an alternative ending wouldn't be too bad.

3 - Most favorable, 2 awesome Madoka episodes that don't suffer from any editing or loss of quality. Perhaps the least likely outcome?
*Osaka*Fan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 15:55   Link #1811
xizro345
King's Justice

I think people are panicking for nothing for now.
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 16:05   Link #1812
Dextro
He Without a Title

LOL I think that the people who are considering that the "changes and improvements" might mean some sort of self-censorship clearly don't know Shaft all that well. They have a very large tendency to overwork themselves and work on episodes till the last minute. About 10 episodes in you can be damn sure they start cutting corners and if you have seen bakemonogatari at least you know how far they have go with that (spoiler: slideshow). It's just shaft being shaft.

What I read from those comments is that Madoka was reaching that point where they were at least starting to cut some minor corners to get the episodes out on time and as such this delay is actually a small blessing to help them finish them off closer to the team's intended vision.

But of course this is just my personal opinion.

Last edited by Dextro; 2011-03-16 at 16:15. Reason: typo
Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 16:10   Link #1813
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Yeah, I think that Dextro is right.

I doubt that you will see how the plot resolves itself changed, just how that plot resolution is visually presented. And the change will be an improvement, chances are.
Old 2011-03-16, 16:29   Link #1814
Key Board
Carbon

I'm pretty sure they're not going to change the ending

but I have suspicions they will try to make the battlefield look less like a disaster site (ie: post tsunami Sendai)

And depending on what is involved they may have to re-choreograph an entire action scene

and for me all kinds of censorship is still censorship
Old 2011-03-16, 17:15   Link #1815
solomon

No offense guys but I think it's really hard to make these kinda judgements unless you have some sort of inside info or something like that. Madoka is aimed a proportionally small audience. Think masses likely won't care about the contents of some random otaku show in face whats happening to the masses.

No body knows anything concrete about this (the story or production) except the artists and producers.

So I kindly suggest everyone take a chill pill.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 18:40   Link #1816
Nikanoru

I only just started watching this yesterday, and really liked it, and then I was shocked to hear from someone that it got canceled. Glad to see that that's not actually the case, heh.
Nikanoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 18:52   Link #1817
Hedd
Random Object

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJLowrider View Post
Well, in the case of Bakemonogatari it was also that there were some scenes that had to be edited or even omitted for it to even make it to air. That series really did push the limits of how graphic you can get and still make it onto TV. I am thinking specifically of the last episode of the Nadeko Snake arc. Hell, I'm still kind of amazed the last episode of the Suruga Monkey arc made it to air as it was.
I doubt it was about the content. Vampire Bund's "not ready for TV" scenes didn't have anything anyone would consider major at all. 2 minutes of a still-frame shaking during a conversation and the final arc faceoff which still had boobage that certain stations felt the need to mist up. It's a double play, they weren't finished and it's good for disk sales.
Old 2011-03-16, 19:21   Link #1818
MaiNoKen
◕ ‿‿ ◕
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon
No offense guys but I think it's really hard to make these kinda judgements unless you have some sort of inside info or something like that. Madoka is aimed a proportionally small audience. Think masses likely won't care about the contents of some random otaku show in face whats happening to the masses.

No body knows anything concrete about this (the story or production) except the artists and producers.

So I kindly suggest everyone take a chill pill.
I think the punchline is the creator is relieved that they got extra time to work for the episodes (and they openly say that to the fans), and that itself should be considered good .
Old 2011-03-16, 20:34   Link #1819
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
I don't think it's a matter of not wanting them to air, but that these episodes can't be completed on time first and foremost. SHAFT often has issues with deadlines, and with Tokyo's rolling blackouts, this probably doesn't make things any better for them.
You don't suppose Gen is rewriting the ending to make this even more "relevant" do you? I think that would be awfully touchy, but done right could be very cool as well.

EDIT: Which is why you should read the whole thread before replying I guess. Still, if I were given the chance, I suspect that "I" would want to see if I could pull it off.

Last edited by NaweG; 2011-03-16 at 20:36. Reason: Skipped a page, and paid for it.
NaweG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 23:02   Link #1820
Jimmy C

How much do you want to bet that SHAFT will still be working until the last minute on ep11 come next week?
As a result, they lose all extra time for ep12.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
despair, hope, madoka magica, magical girl, urobuchi gen