AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2011-10-23, 11:19   Link #1
Odd

Kuroko no Basuke [Manga]

Serialized in Weekly Shonen Jump
Author: Tadatoshi Fujimaki
Artist: Tadatoshi Fujimaki

Description: Once upon a time, the basketball team of Teikou Middle School rose to distinction by demolishing all competition. The regulars of this team became known as the "Generation of Miracles". After graduating from middle school, these five stars went to different high schools with top basketball teams. However, a fact few know is that there was another player of the "Generation of Miracles", the phantom sixth player. This mysterious player is now a freshman at Seirin High, a new school with a powerful, if little-known, team. Now, Tetsuya Kuroko, the sixth member of the "Generation of Miracles", and Kagami, a naturally talented player who spent most of middle school in America, are aiming to bring Seirin to the top of Japan, taking on Kuroko's old teammates one by one.

I'm shocked there was only a thread on this for the upcoming anime.

109 has just been scantalated
Raws for chapter 138 have also been released
Odd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-24, 04:15   Link #2
Undertaker

This is one of the lessor known Jump title but I did enjoy reading. Personally, I put is as basketball's version of Prince of Tennis with better characters.
Old 2011-10-24, 19:43   Link #3
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Yes, one of my favorite sports mangas. The biggest thing about this manga is that the primary protagonist(which I consider to be Kuroko) is not the superpowerful point maker of the team. He only passes, and thus, supports the team in that manner, which is far more enjoyable than some soloist 3-point-making machine =0\. His mannerisms are also a hoot to watch =03.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-30, 04:37   Link #4
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Spoiler for 110:
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-30, 04:49   Link #5
Johnny
Working the bags...

Man, the mangaka sure loves to exaggerate the sweat on and off the court...

Also the latest raw has the completion of their match if anyone is interested...
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-30, 11:23   Link #6
Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
Man, the mangaka sure loves to exaggerate the sweat on and off the court...

Also the latest raw has the completion of their match if anyone is interested...
Oh, I've been looking for it all day, could you tell me where you found it?

or just explain what happened...
Odd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-30, 11:46   Link #7
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd View Post
Oh, I've been looking for it all day, could you tell me where you found it?

or just explain what happened...
Spoiler for 139:
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-30, 22:09   Link #8
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

This manga is borderline science fiction, but very enjoyable. I like it. Much better than PoT IMO.
Kokukirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 02:08   Link #9
Undertaker

It's SOOOOOOO much better than PoT. The every fact that it didn't try to be fake realistic (ie, mentioning real live athletes) is a huge plus.

I mean stuff in PoT just don't happen in real world and not possible in a world with real tennis players be referenced quite a few time.

I mean Eyeshield was similar as far as real life setting, but at least they kept un-realistic stuff in context. (ie 4.2 second in 40-yard dash, all special move are fancy name for basic moves etc.) and when it start to go out that context the manga ended. Which is more than PoT can claim....
Old 2011-11-03, 17:10   Link #10
Excorsism

Still wondering how Kuroko will contribute in the next game... especially against the other Generation of Miracle players. Needs more Momoi.
Old 2012-05-27, 10:27   Link #11
judasmartel
*Author

Um, guys, any idea how the hero team lineup looks like, especially situationals (e.g. starting 5, bench, crunch time)?

Spoiler for Is it something like this?:
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 11:21   Link #12
larethian

Like what Undertaker said, everything is way better than PoT (switch to Baby Steps if you haven't already ) and even though there appear to be fantastic moments, it was explained to certain extent. Like when Kuroko's ball disappears, it was mentioned that it didn't really disappear. There are bound to be some exaggerations given that it's shounen manga, but PoT went overboard. It became shit for me since Kikumaru got a twin. But Kuroko's Basketball lost some of its uniqueness ever since
Spoiler:
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 11:27   Link #13
judasmartel
*Author

You mean a basketball ninja gaining scoring ability is a bad thing?

It's just that I came to believe that "speed and defense are useless if you can't score". Well, in the NBA, anyway.

Oh, okay, I got it. I'm now under the impression that sports authors nowadays suck at explaining superhuman (read "things that normal athletes can't do") feats realistically.
Old 2012-05-27, 11:36   Link #14
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
There are bound to be some exaggerations given that it's shounen manga, but PoT went overboard. It became shit for me since Kikumaru got a twin.
PoT's pretty much embracing its ridiculous tennis at this point. In fact, it's probably one of its merits now, since it's so laughable lame it's hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
But Kuroko's Basketball lost some of its uniqueness ever since
Spoiler:
Well, it's a hole the author dug himself in several ways...

Spoiler:

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 11:41   Link #15
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
PoT's pretty much embracing its ridiculous tennis at this point. In fact, it's probably one of its merits now, since it's so laughable lame it's hilarious.

Well, it's a hole the author dug himself in several ways...

Spoiler:
Spoiler for spoiler:
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 11:41   Link #16
judasmartel
*Author

Hmm... But, sports authors can still get away with outlandish abilities as long as they're explained properly (i.e. no plot holes should be left open) AND it is possible to pull it off (albeit difficult) in real life, RIGHT?
Old 2012-05-27, 12:10   Link #17
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
Hmm... But, sports authors can still get away with outlandish abilities as long as they're explained properly (i.e. no plot holes should be left open) AND it is possible to pull it off (albeit difficult) in real life, RIGHT?
Kuroko no Basket is pretty outrageous already.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 12:27   Link #18
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Hou Take View Post
Spoiler for spoiler:
Ah, good old Fridge Logic. If such a broken ability has its own flaws, the why they don't exploit it. It's like asking why mages won't use a gun on someone who can nullify their magic.

But it's not like sports manga characters are THAT smart to exploit those flaws the first opportunity they get, anyway.

But look, sometimes, not exploiting the opponents' flaws at first opportunity is almost always a good thing because doing so right after you see it might catch you off guard for something even more nastier than that. Letting your opponent use his OP ability a certain number of times allows you to study that ability and think of a way to counter that in a reasonable, realistic span of time.

Suppose your opponent can disappear right at you in a blink of an eye, can you think of a counter to it RIGHT ON THE SPOT? No. And even if you can, are you sure he has nothing else up his sleeve? Again, no. You have to let him disappear on you so many times before you can think of a counter against it.

So, I ask again, is a basketball NINJA gaining scoring ability a bad thing?

@Undertaker So ES21 is the ONLY realistic sports manga written so far? Because if it is, I may have to do some research on pro sports stats to prepare for my first sports story, lol. I had an idea in mind about a timid guy of below average height who just plain sucks on offense but is GODLY AWESOME on defense.
Old 2012-05-27, 16:43   Link #19
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Ah, good old Fridge Logic. If such a broken ability has its own flaws, the why they don't exploit it. It's like asking why mages won't use a gun on someone who can nullify their magic.

But it's not like sports manga characters are THAT smart to exploit those flaws the first opportunity they get, anyway.

But look, sometimes, not exploiting the opponents' flaws at first opportunity is almost always a good thing because doing so right after you see it might catch you off guard for something even more nastier than that. Letting your opponent use his OP ability a certain number of times allows you to study that ability and think of a way to counter that in a reasonable, realistic span of time.

Suppose your opponent can disappear right at you in a blink of an eye, can you think of a counter to it RIGHT ON THE SPOT? No. And even if you can, are you sure he has nothing else up his sleeve? Again, no. You have to let him disappear on you so many times before you can think of a counter against it.

So, I ask again, is a basketball NINJA gaining scoring ability a bad thing?

@Undertaker So ES21 is the ONLY realistic sports manga written so far? Because if it is, I may have to do some research on pro sports stats to prepare for my first sports story, lol. I had an idea in mind about a timid guy of below average height who just plain sucks on offense but is GODLY AWESOME on defense.
Durr of course they will have they've watched and analysed your match, they're high schoolers not morons. Hell it was even finally stated in manga about this obvious flaw and how practically anyone would realise it.
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 21:04   Link #20
larethian

Quote:
You mean a basketball ninja gaining scoring ability is a bad thing?

It's just that I came to believe that "speed and defense are useless if you can't score". Well, in the NBA, anyway.

Oh, okay, I got it. I'm now under the impression that sports authors nowadays suck at explaining superhuman (read "things that normal athletes can't do") feats realistically.
I never said it was a bad thing, in terms of the story. I said it lost some of its 'uniqueness'.

However, the mangaka did decent by explaining that
Spoiler:
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basketball, comedy