AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-01-16, 12:09   Link #1441
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
According to the Yamato2199 twitter, they sold out of all the Limited Edition BD already at all 12 theaters.
I always have a hard time translating Japanese DVD sales into how successful it is...so this is a good thing, right?
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-16, 12:58   Link #1442
kimpleng
Lurker

Usually sold above 3000 considered as sucesfull. But because Yamato2199 using better animation and movie quality, then this:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...e-cost-to-make

Quote:
According to an investigation by Media Development Research Institute Inc., a 30 minute episode of a TV anime in 2010 that totaled 11,000,000 yen
....probably cost a bit more for today production.

Usually BD anime sold at 6800 with for 2 episode inside. I just checked cdjapan.
Lets say they provide 5000 limited BD release for theatre only, they gain
6.800 x 5.000 =20.400.000円

Now in February they will sell non limited version. And based from previous volume sold more than 25.000 (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=109699) they got a lot of money. Still this money will be split again by the committee behind this project.

tl;dr yes they success.
kimpleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-16, 13:09   Link #1443
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

What I don't know is how non-late night television in Japan works. Most discussions about anime on television in Japan relates to the usual after midnight block of shows that are in infomercial territory.

Yamato 2199 will be on during the day or early evening. It this more like American commercial television were the show gets paid for by the sponsers rather than the production committee?
Old 2013-01-16, 16:33   Link #1444
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by durack View Post
Kinda surprised that this show is so far relatively unnoticed by the english-speaking fandom since IMHO it can stand on its own even if you have no idea about the original. I wonder, though, if it may actually become a modest success in the West if you sell it not to anime fans but rather to the late 30s - early 40s crowd who grew up on Star Blazers.
It's not THAT surprising. This isn't the 80's and 90's where anime was primarily known in the US because of sci-fi titles being imported. Allot of modern anime fans aren't necessarily very closely tied to that at all, having gotten into anime from magical adventure series (Bleach, Naruto, Once Piece), or Harem/Moe/Fanservice anime. Something that's actually a straight military sci-fi isn't necessarily what allot of people like.

...especially when the main characters are actually acting like professional soldiers and not spastic ineffectual teenagers
Old 2013-01-16, 20:04   Link #1445
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
It's not THAT surprising. This isn't the 80's and 90's where anime was primarily known in the US because of sci-fi titles being imported. Allot of modern anime fans aren't necessarily very closely tied to that at all, having gotten into anime from magical adventure series (Bleach, Naruto, Once Piece), or Harem/Moe/Fanservice anime. Something that's actually a straight military sci-fi isn't necessarily what allot of people like.

...especially when the main characters are actually acting like professional soldiers and not spastic ineffectual teenagers
That is true. Yamato won't get much notice on boards that specialize in modern late night content. Then again Yamato pretty much ignores the core anime fan-base by not including modern tropes. It is getting noticed by mecha/scifi boards though.

This is one aiming the collectors market with deep pockets seeing the large increase in merchandise since last year.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-16, 20:17   Link #1446
Vito
Asshole.

Quote:
What I don't know is how non-late night television in Japan works. Most discussions about anime on television in Japan relates to the usual after midnight block of shows that are in infomercial territory.

Yamato 2199 will be on during the day or early evening. It this more like American commercial television were the show gets paid for by the sponsers rather than the production committee?
I'd say that's very likely, by this point the show is selling extremely well, not like they need to pay for extra advertisement to screen it on TV.
Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-16, 20:29   Link #1447
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

One or two places were passing this up because of the remake trope where a remake cannot be better than the original. Or the general "old" treatment. But as others have mentioned, this is no regular remake.

Maybe once it is on TV others will notice it. I mean a show like Girls und Panzers went kind of unnoticed until they started showing relatively accurate tank battles and Japanese girls singing Russian folk songs.

I've also noticed a weird set of similarity with Yamato and Girls und Panzers fandoms. It is quite odd, but there are a bunch of NicoNico Videos of scenes (sometimes half the episode if there is a lot of tank fighting) with the soundtrack dubbed over with Yamato 2199's music, and some that go a step more by substituting Yamato sound effects into the show.

Probably the best example I could find. Spoils a little bit, but its fun and reasonably done.
NicoNico
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by Ithekro; 2013-01-16 at 20:48.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-16, 22:08   Link #1448
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
That is true. Yamato won't get much notice on boards that specialize in modern late night content. Then again Yamato pretty much ignores the core anime fan-base by not including modern tropes. It is getting noticed by mecha/scifi boards though.

This is one aiming the collectors market with deep pockets seeing the large increase in merchandise since last year.
Welllllllllllllllllll that's not ENTIRELY accurate. there was that one scene where the nurse got tricked into wearing a maid uniform...but considering it only happened for one episode, that's a fairly limited example for that kind of thing.
Old 2013-01-16, 22:23   Link #1449
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Yeah but she does get back at them a little, and since she is old enough to drink (21 years old if I recall), she can also play the bully drunk to get back at them for tricking her into wearing the outfit. (Ota seems to have become somewhat of a prankster in this series. And for some stupid reason I can see that working even with is Gomer Pyle inspired accent in the Star Blazers dub).
Old 2013-01-16, 23:12   Link #1450
AmericanFairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post

That is interesting since, when I really started getting into anime, I find myself leaning towards the sci-fi/mecha anime more than the magical adventure of harem series. There are a few exceptions, naturally. But those are usually the more popular shows. I blame Gundam since that was what really got me into anime.

I honestly hope that Yamato will be able to find a somewhat broad western audience. If some network like Toonami or Neon Alley was able to pick it up then it might work.

And yes, it is refreshing to see main characters accurately playing their roles. I wish more shows would do that.
AmericanFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-17, 02:51   Link #1451
enrico7113

Quote:
One or two places were passing this up because of the remake trope where a remake cannot be better than the original. Or the general "old" treatment. But as others have mentioned, this is no regular remake.

Maybe once it is on TV others will notice it. I mean a show like Girls und Panzers went kind of unnoticed until they started showing relatively accurate tank battles and Japanese girls singing Russian folk songs.

I've also noticed a weird set of similarity with Yamato and Girls und Panzers fandoms. It is quite odd, but there are a bunch of NicoNico Videos of scenes (sometimes half the episode if there is a lot of tank fighting) with the soundtrack dubbed over with Yamato 2199's music, and some that go a step more by substituting Yamato sound effects into the show.

Probably the best example I could find. Spoils a little bit, but its fun and reasonably done.
NicoNico
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
wow it is really strange to listen to Yamato music and Yamato sounds in a totally different contest
I liked a lot the detailed tanks even if it is not completely accurate regarding tank warfare tactics
unfortunately it is not subbed
but I find this serie extremely nice
by the way a new gamilas character appeared on the yamato2199net page
a possible Celestra aide
(by the way what does it mean Ilun Phezeron ?)
enrico7113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-17, 03:43   Link #1452
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

We figure she is important for episode 14.
Old 2013-01-17, 04:17   Link #1453
macdawson

"Illun Phiuzeron" means something along the line of "Your Excelency"
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-17, 04:55   Link #1454
enrico7113

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdawson View Post
"Illun Phiuzeron" means something along the line of "Your Excelency"

thank you
I really need to refresh my gamilonese
enrico7113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-17, 08:20   Link #1455
macdawson

The character file for Mirenel Link was posted earlier. Anyone care to translate? :-D

Old 2013-01-17, 08:44   Link #1456
Cyprene

I'll do it, with the caveat that while I'm the translator for the show, this is non-official (Haven't gotten the official glossaries for this DVD yet) and I'm suffering from the world's most horrible sinus infection.

Also I'm putting this in spoilers because the ep it refers to is awesome and less cool if you know what her deal is. (It's not technically a spoiler, but I think you'll enjoy it more if you don't read this.)

Spoiler for Mirenel Link:
Cyprene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-17, 09:05   Link #1457
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Phoooey Guess I mean that I can't read that until February...
Old 2013-01-17, 12:02   Link #1458
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

As with many things in Yamato 2199, the stories have elements of the older plotlines, but are not exactly the same.

Spoiler for Miss Newbie there:

Last edited by Ithekro; 2013-01-17 at 12:14.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-17, 12:20   Link #1459
macdawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprene View Post
I'll do it, with the caveat that while I'm the translator for the show, this is non-official (Haven't gotten the official glossaries for this DVD yet) and I'm suffering from the world's most horrible sinus infection.

Also I'm putting this in spoilers because the ep it refers to is awesome and less cool if you know what her deal is. (It's not technically a spoiler, but I think you'll enjoy it more if you don't read this.)

Spoiler for Mirenel Link:
Thanks for the translation and for blowing my mind. This show never stops surprising.
Old 2013-01-17, 15:50   Link #1460
durack

Do the blurays have english subs?

If they do I just may do the unthinkable...
durack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato