AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-08-19, 17:58   Link #1
Death Header
*Graphic Designer

Ultimate Fighing Championship

UFC

Does anyone watch this stuff around here? Surely I can't be the only one.

For all of those who don't know what UFC is, it's basically two guys beating the crap out of each other in an octagonal cage.
Old 2009-08-19, 21:32   Link #2
Shay
Monarch Programmer

I haven't watched in a while like?

Tell me, when is Fedor going to make an appearence?
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-19, 22:01   Link #3
Cipher

I watch it a lot. Though I can't say I remember the participants' names. The only problem with UFC is that its too centered around Muay Thai and Jiujutsu. This is due to the inferiority of other martial arts such as the fictional kung fu.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-19, 23:25   Link #4
Fome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
I watch it a lot. Though I can't say I remember the participants' names. The only problem with UFC is that its too centered around Muay Thai and Jiujutsu. This is due to the inferiority of other martial arts such as the fictional kung fu.
It's more like many Kung Fu disciplines emphasize small joint locking (barred in UFC) and other moves intended to kill or seriously maim opponents (eye gouging). Additionally, most Kung Fu steer away from ground fighting because they were designed with 1-vs-many situations in mind. It's not a good idea to tackle someone to the ground when another assailant could kick you while you're down.

There is, however, some truth to the statement that modern Kung Fu has lost a lot of its practical relevance as it is being molded into a sport or performing art.
Fome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-19, 23:52   Link #5
Thingle
Banned

It's much better than sports like Tennis or Golf.
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-20, 00:22   Link #6
Death Header
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingle View Post
It's much better than sports like Tennis or Golf.
But it requires a lot more practice than Tennis and Golf combined, so I don't think anybody could make it to the UFC in order to fight.

Then again, even if you did, there would be a huge chance that you'd probably get head injuries as well.
Old 2009-08-20, 01:31   Link #7
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Header View Post
But it requires a lot more practice than Tennis and Golf combined, so I don't think anybody could make it to the UFC in order to fight.

Then again, even if you did, there would be a huge chance that you'd probably get head injuries as well.
I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. (The part about it takes more practise that is)
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-20, 06:24   Link #8
killer3000ad

The early UFCs in the 1990s actually had very few rules. Groin shots, rabbit punching, hair pulling were allowed, no time limits or rounds. And the ref couldn't stop the fight until a fighter actually was out cold or tapped out, unlike today when the ref can stop the fight if he feels that a fighter is not intelligently defending himself, without waiting for the fighter to be out cold or tap.

The first few UFCs had quite the circus of traditional martial artists, kung fu, karate, etc etc. They didn't get far, since they had absolutely no ground game and the legendary Royce Gracie had a feel day taking them down at will.

Here are some classic old school UFC bouts. Elbows and groins shots galore.

Having said that, the UFC isn't the sole mixed martial arts organization around (it's the best known in the USA). There are others out there with differing rules and scoring system, like no elbows to the face, or soccer kicks allowed to a downed opponent or they use a ring instead of an octagon-shaped cage.

Today's UFC is a far cry from those unregulated days of the 1990s. Today it as more rules, safety regulations, oversight by the national athletic commission, weight classes, etc etc. American politicians skewered the UFC when it first started, calling it human cockfighting, and the addition of new rules simply made it more palatable to the queasy public. And of course, pre-fight HYPE

Last edited by killer3000ad; 2009-08-20 at 06:38.
killer3000ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-20, 06:28   Link #9
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I like watching MMA now and again but I don't follow it that much. Right now I'm just interested in what Lyoto Machida will do next.

Anywho, I think it would be fairer to rename this thread the "MMA thread" since UFC doesn't have everything to do with MMA.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-20, 06:50   Link #10
killer3000ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I like watching MMA now and again but I don't follow it that much. Right now I'm just interested in what Lyoto Machida will do next.

Anywho, I think it would be fairer to rename this thread the "MMA thread" since UFC doesn't have everything to do with MMA.
Can't wait for Lyoto's bout with Shogun in October. Shogun's nuthuggers are already hyping him up to hand Machida his first ever defeat. Anyway, there's are some good forums on MMA->http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2 if you enjoy nuthuggery, flaming, fighter bashing, trolling to the max.

Sure wish Fedor was in the UFC as well, then again, every MMA fan, whether you love or hate Fedor, wishes he was in the UFC (the haters wanna see him lose, and fans wanna see him clean house in the UFC)

Old 2009-08-20, 06:53   Link #11
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
Can't wait for Lyoto's bout with Shogun in October. Shogun's nuthuggers are already hyping him up to hand Machida his first ever defeat. Anyway, there's are some good forums on MMA->http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2 if you enjoy nuthuggery, flaming, fighter bashing, trolling to the max.
Lol, that's exactly what i don't want. I'm tired of going on those forums because of the sheer number of trolls on there. An MMA thread on here would be good. The majority of animesuki posters are good to have discusiions with.
Old 2009-08-20, 07:01   Link #12
Cipher

Quote:
Lol, that's exactly what i don't want. I'm tired of going on those forums because of the sheer number of trolls on there. An MMA thread on here would be good. The majority of animesuki posters are good to have discusiions with.
The only problem is whether you'll find MMA fans here or not. And correct me if I'm wrong, Machida is that karate expert who just became lightweight champ no?

On another issue, another problem with MMA is that it has too much gay hugging---Bonebreaking brutality is much more entertaining.
Old 2009-08-20, 07:03   Link #13
killer3000ad

Quote:
Except there doesn't appear to be many MMA fans here. Yes there are some intelligent posters on Sherdog, half the time. The funniest bits are when a poster outright declares why his favourite fighter will win in his next bout, and then his fighter loses, and the thread proceeds to get bumped to the front page for the next month as wave after wave of posters and sock puppets flame him.

The classic bit of reasoning a person uses to justify why his fav fighter is better is MMAth.

Fighter B beats fighter A, fighter C beats fighter B, fighter A later beats fighter C, so: B>A>C>B !
Old 2009-08-20, 07:06   Link #14
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

People just can't seem to get their heads round the "rock, papers scissors" effect. But since we play a lot of rpg games, we understand it well.

btw, I remember seeing an article on Sherdog or some other place giving an in depth analysis of Lyoto Machida's karate. Can anyone give me a link becuase i can't seem to find it anymore.

@ Cipher - Yes you're right about Machida.
Old 2009-08-20, 07:21   Link #15
killer3000ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
The only problem is whether you'll find MMA fans here or not. And correct me if I'm wrong, Machida is that karate expert who just became lightweight champ no?

On another issue, another problem with MMA is that it has too much gay hugging---Bonebreaking brutality is much more entertaining.
Yup Machida is Shotokan karate MMA fighter who won the UFC Light Heavyweight title in May 2009. Seeing as how karateka have never succeeded in past MMA fights, Machida is the exception. He does of course know Brazilian jiu-jitsu and sumo, which helps him in the grappling aspect, though he's never been on his back thus has never been tested on the ground much accept against Ortiz. His unorthodox, low wide modified Shotokan stance often confuses and 'mezmerizes' (to quote Joe Rogan) his opponents who are used to facing fighters who are trained in Muay Thai, boxing etc.

to Haak: Is this the one? http://nokaut.com/?id=12&solo_news=3...ida+Era+Begins

It was linked from Sherdog.
Old 2009-08-20, 07:53   Link #16
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

^ Nah, i remember a picture of him in a fight that analysed his stance in the beggining so that's not it. Good find though.

[edit]

Never mind i found it:
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/24664177-post3.html
Old 2009-08-20, 08:18   Link #17
killer3000ad

This thread needs slowmo Matrix GIFs!

Machida's parrying,counter-striking, trips and timing is perfect.

Against Rashad Evans:

Thiago Silva:

Sam Hogar

Sokoudjou

Nakamura

Tito Ortiz

BJ Penn

Apologies to those on slow connections.

Last edited by killer3000ad; 2009-08-20 at 09:00.
Old 2009-08-20, 08:26   Link #18
Cipher

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
Machida's parrying,counter-striking, trips and timing is perfect.

Apologies to those on slow connections.
Great motion pics. Those trips were hard to spot.
Old 2009-08-20, 08:27   Link #19
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

It's hard to tell if he actually parries, though. It seems that those particular fighters just drop their hands a bit whe. they punch. Really bad habit. Lets face it. How many MMA fighters have decent boxing skills?

By the way. I loved that throw against Nakamura where he uses his left arm to trip him over his left leg. That's like a typical kung fu throw.
Old 2009-08-20, 08:31   Link #20
Cipher

Quote:
It's hard to tell if he actually parries, though. It seems that those particular fighters just drop their hands a bit whe. they punch. Really bad habit. Lets face it. How many MMA fighters have decent boxing skills?
I'm thinking.... a lot. Those parries are true. I myself use it, tho, I can't seem to throw a counter fast enough after it.