AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-12-24, 14:12   Link #1
gh0stmice
*Artist

Phenomenal Artwork and Stunning Visuals

I just revisited a classic: Ghost in the Shell. The animation struck me as absolutley amazing, much like Akira and even Perfect Blue. So it got me wanting something that looks great, like the o'ren ishii sequences in Kill Bill. I am not a fan of the art work in Stand Alone Complex. I think they ruined Major Motoko Kusanagi visual character concept in S.A.C. How do you go from black hair, blue eyes to purple hair, red eyes? Also what was with the weird one piece bathing suit she wore?

I, of course, googled this and most of the suggestions on the other forums were things like Bleach or even One Piece. Ummm, for real? When i say great animation, you mention Bleach first? There is almost no detail or depth to the picture. Take a frame from Bleach and put it next to any frame from Akira; then double face palm.

Now i'm not just looking for old series and movies. I think Afro Samurai was pretty well done. But, i have a weird feeling that great visuals are kinda a thing left in favor of thriftiness for the producers now-a-days. So it may be the case that only the classics are visually stunning.
Seriously, sometimes i pause the movie just to look at the pictures! I want to feel compelled to do that again.

If there is anything that even remotely comes close to the O'ren Ishii Sequences in Kill Bill, please tell me
Old 2011-12-24, 14:58   Link #2
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I recommend Kara no Kyoukai. It's a series of seven films, each about murders that are taking place through supernatural means. The protagonist is Ryougi Shiki, a girl that has been raised in a family of demon hunters and has the ability to see the death of everything through her Mystic Eyes of Death Perception. She also has an almost insatable urge to kill:
Spoiler for sample:

I also see 5 Centimeters Per Second on your Plan to Watch list. I recommend wtahcing that as well.
Old 2011-12-24, 15:17   Link #3
Elegance

Mushishi

Just watched Guilty Crown and i believe its quite beautiful.
Old 2011-12-24, 15:25   Link #4
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
I'll second 5cm, and might as well put in Place Promised and Voices of a Distant Star. Then there's Time of Eve and Birdy the Mighty: Decode, the first which is overkill gorgeous for a drama and the latter with some of the slickest fight choreography I've come across. Note that for Time of Eve, you're better off watching the OVA instead of the movie, as it adds mostly filler scenes and the arcs work better in episodic format.

And though I have yet to see this, I hear the movie Redline is pretty much a graphics fest.
GANBARIMASU
Old 2011-12-24, 15:33   Link #5
gh0stmice
*Artist

Was looking up Guilty Crown on Youtube to see what it looked like then i stumbled upon this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Edn9E...eature=related

Article A, one of the best AMVs i ever did see
Article B, i remember watching this up to episode twelve or thirteen and it wasn't too bad.
But, i don't remember very well

I think it was called something-monogatari

edit- just anidb-ed it and i did see the whole thing. It is only 12 episodes long
Old 2011-12-24, 15:34   Link #6
Darkbeat
'אין ייאוש בעולם כלל

5cm Per Second is the best suggestion here so far. It's a drama/romance film but for eye-candy it fits your requirements.

In terms of older graphical/artistic visual wonders, I've always had a liking to Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory. While any Gundam OAV fits here, this one has quite a lot of gorgeous mecha battles (especially in comparison to say 0080). There's a DVD remaster of it also, so try and obtain that.
Old 2011-12-24, 15:35   Link #7
Elegance

ahhh yes its called Bakemonogatari.

Guilty Crown preview of episode 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj_xxJ03S4c
Old 2011-12-24, 16:01   Link #8
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Gankutsuou by gonzo is a pretty stunning anime to look at with a great story to boot.
Old 2011-12-24, 16:17   Link #9
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
5 Centimeters per Second
The Place Promised from our Early Youth
The Time of Eve

All the above have gorgeous artwork to be sure and a good (sometimes great) story to go with it; but I'd also add "Children Who Listen to Voices from Deep Below", although in comparison to the previous three it had the least effective storyline for me.

Guilty Crown does indeed have lovely visuals a lot of the time, but I personally did not enjoy the rest of it all that much and dropped the series after ep 5 or so (I forget which one now).

Personally I thought the anime series Tamayura Hitotose, Hanasaku Iroha, Gosick, Dantalian no Shoka and Ikoku Meiro no Croisee all had stupendous backdrops - the character designs are prolly not to everyone's taste and the storylines are DEFINTELY not to everyone's tastes, but if it visuals you are interested in....
Old 2011-12-24, 16:27   Link #10
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Another addition to the long list are Paprika, Broken Blade, Last Exile (and its sequel, Fam the Silver Wing), Katanagatari and Saint Seiya: Lost Canvas. Those series are visual pleasure for me and all of them has great stories too.
Old 2011-12-24, 17:04   Link #11
mecharobot

Jin-Roh

and maybe

Macross: Do you remember love
Patlabor movies

I know how you feel. The charm is just missing from works relying too much on digital shortcuts. Oh, and if you just want to watch pretty pictures, I'd suggest Iblard Jikan. It has probably the best artwork I've seen in an anime, but not much else for better or worse.
Old 2011-12-24, 18:23   Link #12
JRendell
Manga Addict

Definitely seconding Kara no Kyoukai and Break Blade. Some superb animation there.

I'd also recommend Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari. Pretty unique and nicely animated.
Old 2011-12-25, 02:18   Link #13
Xenio
Flower

if you looking for unique Visuals then Bakemonogatari, Madoka Magica
and if you don't mind a little fanservice and comedy gerne: Baka to Test is a good one

here some pic:
Bakemonogatari
Spoiler for images:

Madoka
Spoiler for images:
Old 2011-12-25, 02:25   Link #14
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

As was mentioned in the above titles, titles by Shinkai Makoto are some of the most visually stunning works of the past few years.
Old 2011-12-25, 03:23   Link #15
HasuMasu
*Artist

Seconding 5cm/second, seriously I can't think of anything that fits more.

Bakemonogatari too, for great justice.
Old 2011-12-25, 04:49   Link #16
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

I go for Cowboy Bebop. Despite being "old" anime, I found this show more please me at its visual than most of modern HD show.

The detail, choreography, and consistency its just glorious.
Old 2011-12-25, 12:45   Link #18
gh0stmice
*Artist

It's funny, i already own all of Universal Century, but it hadn't crossed my mind to watch it again.
I'm watching Jin Roh( since it has that classic awesomeness)
Bakemonogatari (since i never finished it and left at episode 12)
I watched Iblard yestarday (it is pretty, but literally no graspable story. Really just a series of images with music)
5cm/second (believe it or not, i never saw this. This is supposedly a top ten-er)

Thank everybody. I will continue to look to this thread and pull your suggestions as i start running out of stuff to watch.
Old 2011-12-25, 21:41   Link #19
Ebullition

I liked the artwork in Clannad and Kanon 2006.
Old 2011-12-26, 16:11   Link #20
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Redline it is a movie and I say the trailer speaks for itself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2H_FsmxWzc

In a completely different genre you have Hanasaku Iroha