AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-09-21, 13:17   Link #1
Yuiichi
Retired.

Handheld Wars

Soon, the handheld market, previously dominated by the Nintendo Gameboy family, will be flooded with new products. These include the Sony PSP, Nintendo DS, and the new Nokia N-Gage.

Which one do you think will dominate the new market, and for what reasons.

To make it fair, i think that the PSP will dominate the new market. My reasons being that Sony apeals to a wider market (being children to older audiences) and it will have many more useful features.

The only thing that would put a monkey wrench in the works would be that DS is planned to launch quite a few months before PSP is launched. This will be like how the PS2 is dominating the console market, being launched months before the copetitors would even be ready to think about launch.
Yuiichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-21, 13:34   Link #2
Shadowlord
~DESU

I should start off by saying this topic has been discussed in other threads.

Actually, I think Nintendo will pull ahead, because it is supposed to launch first, and it it the only Game company that has a wide variety of games for children (sony almost never releases kids games) It has more features, and its likely that it will have a fairly low price tag ($200 at wal-mart was the last unconfirmed price)
Shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-21, 14:07   Link #3
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
200= low 0_o woah.

Nintendo wins. Nintendo always wins

how many Sega game gears do you see around

I think it will come down to Nintendo Vs Sony, and Nintendo has previous market experience with handheld game systems.

Quote:
Sony apeals to a wider market (being children to older audiences)
that may be so, but around 90% of the consumers are children, so the points is near moot.

go DS!
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-21, 14:16   Link #4
Kyolux

Send a message via MSN to Kyolux
Quote:
that may be so, but around 90% of the consumers are children, so the points is near moot.
Actually, from what I recall the main video games market sells for the 16-24 years old group more then any other, from what I recall seeing somewhere. Yes a lot of kids gets videogames. But usually.. only 2-3 times a year, that is birthday and xmas for most. But when you reach the 16-24 years old, actually these are the age range where someone can afford to spend there. Later you get kids and a house to pay. (not trying to generalize or anything, but that's the way I see it). Last time I saw some stats about this, it was about proving that statement right. I doubt I'm wrong on that.
Kyolux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-21, 14:22   Link #5
Oujirou
イルージョン

Send a message via MSN to Oujirou
Sega Gamegear is last generation. I'm lost as to why you brought that up...but that next generation of NGage looks pretty good, maybe it might actually be worth it this time around.

Anyway I've never liked Sony tho, so I'm going for Nintendo. But all in all, I'd rather have an NGage QD, or revive the neogeo.
Oujirou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-21, 15:01   Link #6
Yuiichi
Retired.

Even with the DS being released first and with Nintendo having more experience in the handheld market, i think Sony will give it a good run for it's money.

I know that even younger audiences like Sony's products, such as Jax, or Rachet and Clank. They also appeal to older audiences with the same games through comedy and emotion in the storys that the games provide.

With the new media for the games on the PSP, i think it will be cheaper. Therefore, more people will want the PSP, even if the inital console will cost a bit.
Old 2004-09-21, 15:35   Link #7
FrostLich

Sony's PSP will appeal more to the adults that want to play DVDs and other functions.

Nintendo's DS however is a pure gaming machine with only gaming features. It appeals to people who only want a gameboy for pure play.

They are very different machines and some say that they are not in direct competiton. But lets face it, their going head to head. Im putting my vote on DS cuz PSP will be more expensive and have less battery life. DS also has a great line up of games coming up while I only know of this metal gear solid card game for PSP.

Sony had no experience in the handheld buisness and they also have a tendancy to make unrealiable systems which is not a good thing for a system that can perform a varity of tasks.
FrostLich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-21, 15:37   Link #8
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

I thought the NGage is already quite hopeless? Anyway I don't expect anything can shake Nintendo's supremacy on handheld market anytime soon...
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-21, 16:29   Link #9
Kyolux

Send a message via MSN to Kyolux
Sony didn't had any console experience and look at what they did. DS might scare away people with it's two screens. But it's too early to call who's gonna lead. And Nintendo will continue to develop for gba as well. They have already said that DX won't be anything related to gba so they won't be in competition either. Nintendo will probably keep making more money in handheld. But between DS and PSP.. I still think PSP comes out on top. And battery life differs from use on the psp. But yeah I think I heard DS as some awesome battery thing. And for prices. I haven't seen anything yet. Anyone has any confirmed infos?
Kyolux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-21, 16:32   Link #10
Baba
Grouky Freak

Send a message via ICQ to Baba Send a message via MSN to Baba
I'm not really interested in the console market, but just a thought :
Why do you all seem to think that the previous market experience of nintendo will unsure it's vicory? I mean, I think that the first play station showed to all of us (and it was unexpected) that sony could grab a market that seemed unreachable and do so with one product.
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-21, 17:19   Link #11
Yuiichi
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba
I'm not really interested in the console market, but just a thought :
Why do you all seem to think that the previous market experience of nintendo will unsure it's vicory? I mean, I think that the first play station showed to all of us (and it was unexpected) that sony could grab a market that seemed unreachable and do so with one product.
Exactly what i'm saying. And about Sony not having a "pure" gaming machine, the DVD and MP3 functions of the PSP will be minimal to the gaming aspect. I am very excited about the titles already announced for the PSP.

And really, a great lineup for the DS... i mean, i looked at all of the games, and i must say, i wasn't really impressed with any of them. Maybe the only one will be Final Fanasy Crystal Chronicles... but the one on gamecube was so terrible... it's not that great.

Nintendo is really aiming hard at the youngest gamer audience possible... with all of it's "marios" and "luigis" and all the other Nintendo only characters.

I must admit, i am a little biased. I really dislike Nintendo... for the reasons of developing games for a younger audience and not supporting Online play on the Gamecube. I'm dissapointed almost every time i play something on the Gamecube.

But, about the whole portable market, i don't think i'll get on the portable band wagon. It's too expensive buying games for both a console and a portable, and for the amount of hours spent playing my GBA, its safe to say that i don't really play portables all that much.
Old 2004-09-21, 17:29   Link #12
cf18
Mecha Pilot

DS is already confirmed to sell at US$150, while PSP is expected to sell at twice that. Few would buy PSP to watch video - who would buy movies in the UMD format so that they can watch it on a tiny screen?
cf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-21, 17:30   Link #13
DekaMaster
Banned

This topic was dicussed in the games forum to death. And another will just turn into more system wars.
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-21, 18:43   Link #14
wnkryo
HainShodan

Nintedo's DS dual screen totally turned me off. The Nokia screen is way to tiny for me. The PSP, on the other hand, has a nicely sized screen, with awsome graphics, and a reported 10+ hour game life.

In the end, I would like to buy the PSP because it has all the things I would want in a handheld (especially with the anticipated release of metal gear acid).

But ultimately I believe the handheld wars will be decided by the price tags. If sony is smart enough, it may out sell nintendo if it uses the plan microsoft used when it first launched the xbox.
wnkryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-21, 18:48   Link #15
Yuiichi
Retired.

I don't think that the price point for the actual machine will be as big of a deal as the price point for games. Even if the DS is $50-100 cheeper than PSP, and PSP's games are even $10 cheaper, people who buy more games will save more in the long run.

It's just the personal prefrences of people, and the age group.
Old 2004-09-21, 19:11   Link #16
wnkryo
HainShodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuiichi
I don't think that the price point for the actual machine will be as big of a deal as the price point for games. Even if the DS is $50-100 cheeper than PSP, and PSP's games are even $10 cheaper, people who buy more games will save more in the long run.

It's just the personal prefrences of people, and the age group.

Your over thinking it. These type of things end up with a simple a cost more than b and since both a and b are from credible companies, choosing product b will be much more reasonable.

Besides that, most of the final decisions come to those who are purchasing the product (which is usually parents from kids who say they want a new handheld system). Nothing says buy me like a cheaper price.
Old 2004-09-21, 19:16   Link #17
Yuiichi
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnkryo
Your over thinking it. These type of things end up with a simple a cost more than b and since both a and b are from credible companies, choosing product b will be much more reasonable.

Besides that, most of the final decisions come to those who are purchasing the product (which is usually parents from kids who say they want a new handheld system). Nothing says buy me like a cheaper price.
Yeah, i guess you are right on somet things, but the age groups that Sony markets too are the older people.. which means that they would buy their own. I know if i had the money and the desire to get a handheld, i would work extra hours to earn the extra money needed for the PSP. I think it's just better all around.

To me, the DS looks sort of gimicky, but again, thats just me.
Old 2004-09-21, 19:54   Link #18
wnkryo
HainShodan

Quote:
To me, the DS looks sort of gimicky, but again, thats just me.
I really feel the same as you do. The DS is just to kiddy for me (like most nintendo things are). Ofcourse that doesn't mean that the games are any less fun, but I rather play games with more maturity to them, like the metal gear acid game that is coming out for the PSP.

Besides that, sony has a history of having a good variety of games (most along the mature lines, and some along the children line); while nintendo has mostly first party rehashes of tire-some games like mario and other over used established titles. Infact, I think the earliest games announced and shown on the DS was mario and metriod.
Old 2004-09-21, 20:01   Link #19
Yuiichi
Retired.

Metal Gear Acid is a big bonus for the PSP... i'm like a huge Metal Gear fan. My favourite thing about the Gamecube is MGS: The Twin Snakes ^_^ Great game (rehash for original MGS).

And another thing i dislike about the DS is the touch display... and how it is used in the games. That just seems awkward...
Old 2004-09-21, 23:36   Link #20
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
Quote:
And another thing i dislike about the DS is the touch display... and how it is used in the games. That just seems awkward...
I think you cannot say anything until you've hold it in your hands...

So... DekaMaster is right! ^_^ this is a very old topic that always leads to the sony fanboy x nintendo fanboy war which has left many wounded! but I dont care! as teh nintendo fanboy Ill stand up for Nintendo even if you beat me up to death

Im going to repeat myself again...

[nintendo fanboy mode]

first the PSP is simply a shrunk PS2, I cannot find that even remotely funny or entertaining, and if you want to see movies or listen music you have to use their proprietary format! most games for the PSP are simply ports... so for many PS2 users buying a PSP means buying twice every game or movie, but if you are going to buy just one guess which one is going to be?... honestly if metal gear acid was available for both the PS2 and the PSP wher would you prefer to play it? in a big screen or in a tiny one while waiting in line? Besides most people end up using their portables at home, whats the point then? better buy a PS2, (or even better, a GAMECUBE! XD) than expending so much money in the PSP.

Then is the simple fact of durability, portables are meant to be kept in pockets, to use them and abuse them, the PSP looks definately more cool than the DS (although the latest version of the DS is great! ) but it also looks to be very delicate, and I think its even more delicate since it use disks instead of cartridges. Nintendo has always put a great effort in the quality of their products, and Im very confident it will be the same with the DS, instead Ive heard lots of complaints about sonys product's like with the PS2, sure some of you have a PS2 in perfect condition, but its not everyone, while I still have to hear anyone whos gamecube has crash, even my old famicon and nintendo 64 work perfectly fine! how many playstations owners can say that?
[/nintendo fanboy mode]

although its nintendo fanboy blaberish , some of the points I mentioned are very valid. At the end its just different strategies, Nintendo is going for innovation, Sony is going for raw power. Specs are something we die hard game fans can always discuss and crave about, but not the general gamer, or people in general, when my dad look at mario sunshine for the first time, he said it looked the same as the N64! for him the PS2 and the PS1 are just the same graphics! in this next generation the difference its going to be even less noticable, thats why Nintendo has chosen to offer something completly unique.
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote