AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-06-21, 03:15   Link #1
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Opera 9 Web Browser (includes BT!)

For the first time, a browser has included BitTorrent downloading as part of its functionality. In order to make BitTorrent available to anyone who just happens to come across a torrent link while browsing, Opera has decided to treat BitTorrent as just another protocol for downloading files. Now, like http and ftp downloading, BT is also built into the browser.

Opera isn't a great torrent client, but it does do the job quite reasonably well. While I won't be abandoning µTorrent to download my torrents using Opera, I find it quite usable. The important part of course, is that people won't have to download and install a piece of software just because they want to download a torrent. Now they can start downloading without even having to find out how torrents are different.

This is definitely good for BitTorrent newbies. As for me, I'm glad that I can still opt to use a stand-alone program.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-21, 12:55   Link #2
Ghettobob
GTO Fan!

Send a message via AIM to Ghettobob Send a message via MSN to Ghettobob Send a message via Yahoo to Ghettobob
That is true, it is good for the newer newbs (if you might say). I also use Opera 9, and accidently started to download Tsubasa Chronicle 2nd season 32. I was wondering why it was "checking files" in the downloads section, then looked at the bottom of the screen and said 4 peers and 0 seeds.

It's good to know that I can download torrents with it, but I doubt I ever will.
Ghettobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-21, 16:25   Link #3
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

I suppose the only problem with this is that most people who know about Opera and
willingly install it will probably have sufficient knowledge of computers to also figure out
how to install a proper BT client.

While that doesn't mean there is no use for the BT feature in Opera, it does reduce it's
usefulness quite a bit I think.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-21, 17:34   Link #4
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro
...it does reduce it's usefulness quite a bit I think.
Yeah, I agree, that is probably true at the moment.

However the likes of Opera and FireFox are winning novice users away from IE... slowly, but it is happening. Given time, as the use of alternative browsers widens, this strategic decision will introduce the masses to BitTorrent, as I think was mentioned here when Opera ran a beta that included BitTorrent. Have to start somewhere... I think this gives Opera yet another good "selling" point and puts a stake in the ground for other browser makers to work towards. If they too extend the idea of having an all-in-one HTTP+HTTPS+FTP solution to include BitTorrent, with none of the fuss of an external client, it can and will improve BitTorrent's already wide acceptance. For big downloads sites and so forth. As was also said before, that can only be a good thing for a Pro-BitTorrent community like ours -- and the Internet as a whole I think.

So... even if the effect is minimal at first or slow to take hold I think it's a good move forward.

Last edited by NightWish; 2006-06-21 at 17:52.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-21, 18:33   Link #5
randomlurker123
Stalker 101

it's troublesome convincing opera to use utorrent instead of the default opera client tho and changing it while learning a new interface is a biatch.

i jus switch to opera, cos firefox is a resource hog. i need to configure port forward (which port to use and such) and p2p encryption (my router and isp , nuff said) so opera client still need to improve b4 ppl switch from utorrent/asezures/bitcomet to opera client. meanwhile it's jus annoying ppl (who's aready using other clients) when it uses it default client.
Old 2006-06-21, 18:48   Link #6
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlurker123
it's troublesome convincing opera to use utorrent instead of the default opera client tho and changing it while learning a new interface is a biatch.

i jus switch to opera, cos firefox is a resource hog. i need to configure port forward (which port to use and such) and p2p encryption (my router and isp , nuff said) so opera client still need to improve b4 ppl switch from utorrent/asezures/bitcomet to opera client. meanwhile it's jus annoying ppl (who's aready using other clients) when it uses it default client.
First, make sure the torrent files are associated with µtorrent, or whatever client you're using. Next, in opera, go to tools>preferences>advanced>downloads. Then find the entry for torrent files. Click on it, then click edit. Click open with default application. Problem solved.

Anyway, I think it's a great idea. BT is now one step closer to being accepted as a standard file transfer protocol, rather than just some p2p program for pirates. Hopefully other browsers will follow.
Old 2006-06-22, 01:28   Link #7
Ghettobob
GTO Fan!

Send a message via AIM to Ghettobob Send a message via MSN to Ghettobob Send a message via Yahoo to Ghettobob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
First, make sure the torrent files are associated with µtorrent, or whatever client you're using. Next, in opera, go to tools>preferences>advanced>downloads. Then find the entry for torrent files. Click on it, then click edit. Click open with default application. Problem solved.

Anyway, I think it's a great idea. BT is now one step closer to being accepted as a standard file transfer protocol, rather than just some p2p program for pirates. Hopefully other browsers will follow.
I have tried what you said but I see nothing on torrents. I even tried to add it, but still didnt work.

Could you give a screenshot of the settings of MIME Type and what you put in for extension.
Old 2006-06-22, 02:07   Link #8
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghettobob
I have tried what you said but I see nothing on torrents. I even tried to add it, but still didnt work.

Could you give a screenshot of the settings of MIME Type and what you put in for extension.
Sure.
Spoiler:

You could also use "open with other application" and select your torrent client. If setting it as open with default application doesn't work, try that.

edit: @The Small One- Opera's faster than firefox, and uses less ram... Try a more recent version, then compare them side by side and see for yourself.

Last edited by Kamui4356; 2006-06-22 at 02:30.
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-22, 02:39   Link #9
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Good news! You can switch back then because they fixed that some time ago. Now Opera will only load the functions that you are using. In other words, if you don't create a mail account, it won't show you the interface for mail or even allocate RAM for that part of the program.

You don't have to worry about it being any slower than if it didn't have the ability to do mail as well. Just don't enable the mail interface.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-06-22, 03:17   Link #10
randomlurker123
Stalker 101

u have to uncheck the "hide extentions that opera opens" box to see the .torrent extention.

then choose click open with other programs - (insert utorrent.exe or bitcomet etc etc) The "open with default application" choice give me some headache since it sometimes didn't work.. or work once in a while then revert to the opera client.

there's some problems with textboxes in opera for some websites example blogger.com for my blog. can't write in their textboxes. anyway i'm pretty happy with opera now. it's improving
Old 2006-06-22, 08:50   Link #11
SayanMk
Anime Sekai Kenkyuuin

Send a message via Yahoo to SayanMk
Thumbs up

Well, that's good...(it's not like I'll use it, but.. :P ). For some small downloads like a manga chapter it'll be quite usefull I guess.

I'm now testing the new opera. I was with 8.54, and did't want do seperate from her It's quite better...
SayanMk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-22, 10:21   Link #12
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Well, although I won't be using Opera for torrent downloads, I just switched to Opera from Firefox because I was curious about what other things can it do besides torrent implementation Pretty nice browser. Firefox leaks memory pretty bad.
Old 2006-06-22, 10:34   Link #13
Ghettobob
GTO Fan!

Kamui4356 and randomlurker123 thank you both. Im so happy now, It works so easy, and im going to stop saving .torrents to my computer and just open them
Old 2006-06-22, 12:30   Link #14
Green˛
It's bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlurker123
u have to uncheck the "hide extentions that opera opens" box to see the .torrent extention.

then choose click open with other programs - (insert utorrent.exe or bitcomet etc etc) The "open with default application" choice give me some headache since it sometimes didn't work.. or work once in a while then revert to the opera client.

there's some problems with textboxes in opera for some websites example blogger.com for my blog. can't write in their textboxes. anyway i'm pretty happy with opera now. it's improving
"Save to disk" option for if wanting to just save the torrent file, for downloading through another bitorrent client at an later time. However, the "Do not ask for folder, but save directly to" toggle doesn't work, as it corrupts some of the downloaded torrent files (Doesn't run under µtorrent).
Green˛ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-23, 10:00   Link #15
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Your argument really makes no sense The Small One. The opera browser isn't just catered to your tastes, it's catered to the tastes of as many people as possible. It's called marketing strategy. It's an incredibly stupid company indeed that cuts out a large portion of their users by aiming a product at one specific sub-group of people.

The features are there for the people that want to use them. For people that don't want to use them, they make the effort to ensure those features aren't going to get in the way. Saying that you want them to release a version tailored to your specific needs is naive in the extreme.

Back to the topic at hand: Has the popup blocker been fixed in 9 yet? I stopped using it because my usual settings (block all popups) was no longer working like it does in 8.5, ie, block all unwanted, but still let me open external links on forums and so on. In 9 it treats forum links as unwanted popups, and it's kinda annoying having to make exception rules for all the forums I visit. Setting it to 'block unwanted popups' also doesn't work as unwanted popups are not actually blocked.
Radiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-23, 13:12   Link #16
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiosity
Back to the topic at hand: Has the popup blocker been fixed in 9 yet? I stopped using it because my usual settings (block all popups) was no longer working like it does in 8.5, ie, block all unwanted, but still let me open external links on forums and so on. In 9 it treats forum links as unwanted popups, and it's kinda annoying having to make exception rules for all the forums I visit. Setting it to 'block unwanted popups' also doesn't work as unwanted popups are not actually blocked.
I noticed the same thing... Though I guess technically, that is what block all pop-ups was supposed to do. That, combined with streaming video not working on all sites, forced me back to 8.54 as well.

@The Small One- Why don't you just try a recent version of opera? As was mentioned by NSW, those features don't even load. The only thing you'll notice is opera takes up a bit more disk space than firefox. As I said before, it actually uses less ram and loads most pages faster. Opera is now completely free, so the only thing you lose is the bandwidth to download the installer.
Old 2006-06-23, 21:11   Link #17
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

As I don't see any other thread related to non-BT features of Opera 9, I'll post it here:

I just read about a cool feature: you can add AnimeSuki in a few clicks to the list of
search boxes! Just go to main site, open the search box, and right-click in the input box.
There last option should be "Create search...". Choose that option, add "as" into the keyword box
and click "OK".

After that's done you can choose AnimeSuki from the search box list, but even cooler,
you can just search AnimeSuki by typing "as <keyword>" in the address bar. Neat
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-23, 23:55   Link #18
Lost

Actually, I was wondering if we could use this thread as a general discussion/help thread for Opera 9.

You see, I tried using it over Firefox, and I found the way it had to reload every single image on an Animesuki page you were visiting again (after having just loaded it like 1 min ago) was very irritating; it doesn't use a cache or something like that?

So while it may be true that Opera is faster than FF, that feature (or lack thereof) just makes it seem slower. Is there anyway I can change this?
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-24, 00:38   Link #19
aperson

A dedicated Opera thread would be nice for new people trying to transition to a new browser.

And the new keyword search feature in Opera 9 is what I like most about Firefox. (right-click -> Add a keyword for this search)
aperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-24, 03:09   Link #20
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Since most of the discussion here is not about BitTorrent, I have just moved the thread and retitled it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
You see, I tried using it over Firefox, and I found the way it had to reload every single image on an Animesuki page you were visiting again (after having just loaded it like 1 min ago) was very irritating; it doesn't use a cache or something like that?

So while it may be true that Opera is faster than FF, that feature (or lack thereof) just makes it seem slower. Is there anyway I can change this?
That is odd. It doesn't happen on my browser when I browse this forum with Opera. Perhaps you have a setting wrong. What does this say in your preferences:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiosity
"Block unwanted popups" is working properly for me.