AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2004-04-13, 15:51   Link #61
scingram

Jo Jo's Bizzare Adventure.
Love that series. Finally bringing it across in DVD form.
Probably a ton of other things. Been watching fansubs for years now.
-S
scingram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 16:31   Link #62
lilitu93

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
While I would like to own a VHS copy of those films, unfortunately not many people know about this here in Japan as well. It is plausible that these animes might actually be easier to find in the US as the Allied Occupational Forces took away those films during the occupational period. However, the copies that were distributed to the theaters at the time still do exists (in very bad shape - something needs to be done!!) and once in a while it is shown here in Japan at a film festival - where I was lucky enough to see this back in middle school.
I think it's probably harder to find in the US, as I seem to remember Jonathan Clemens mentioning that the US destroyed a lot of the propaganda films, as they were propaganda. (You know, the winners writing history and all that.) Somewhere or other I have an article that he'd written and that he'd handed out at his presentation (not of his presentation) and it may have mentioned them in passing. If I find it again, I will post the info from it if there is any, but I don't expect to see it any time soon, as we've been doing spring cleaning around here, and loads of stuff is now in storage. Or maybe someone with the Anime Encyclopedia he co-wrote can look it up to see if it's mentioned.

As for the quality, Jonathan mentioned that the quality goes down in places as they had to clean and reuse cells later in the production as they were running out of supplies during the war. I'm sure there's been loads of wear and tear on the print(s) as well, as they weren't really supposed to still exist, if the history above is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Seeing that I cannot find any useful info in my local library or on Google, I assume that this film cannot be transfered over to video anytime soon, especially in Japan. But it does give you the feel of the era and a chill down your spine when you get to see this - the quality is actually good for a Japanese anime made at the time (of course, it pales to Disney propaganda films which I have also seen a glimpse on TV). And there is something weird and makes you ponder when the credits roll and you see "Produced by: Ministry of the Navy - Public Relations Division"
I know there are a few VHS copies floating around--Jonathan Clemens has one, which is how I saw clips of it, so there's at least one in the UK. But he made it sound like it's really really rare. Since I don't know him personally, I wasn't about to ask for a copy for myself!

As for the quality, I remember being really impressed by the animation quality, especially of the movement of the animal characters. I haven't seen the Disney propaganda, though I think I've seen Warner Bros propaganda with Bugs Bunny, though I'm not sure if it was 100% propaganda or just moments thrown in because of the mood of the time. At any rate, it would be great to have a DVD of loads of animated propaganda, especially of WWII, from both sides, and I know I'd buy it, especially if it had loads of commentary and analysis. I doubt it would be a huge seller, but it would be a great subject for a documentary.
lilitu93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 16:48   Link #63
Laryx

When i was really young (about 8 i think) I remember renting a VHS type at my local video store. it had a dutch title which loosely translates to: "The mystery of the little space prince". All I remeber is that it was mecha and I was highly impressed iwth the style of the animation and the nice story. I had no idea it was anime.
I haven`t seen it again ever..anywhere, But then again maybe I wouldn`t even recoginze it if I did.
Laryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 17:01   Link #64
Judo
Lazy Turtle

Send a message via MSN to Judo
hmmm...rare anime eh?

Combattler V - Well, I don't think alot of people out of Japan have seen this....I know alot of people know Voltes V but not Combattler V...but anywasy...COMBATTLER IS WAAAAAAY BETTER THAN VOLTES!!! SO THERE!!! xP

Tetsujin 28 - I'm talking about the 85(or was it 86?) remake not the original Tetsujin(aka Giagantor or something like that), I really liked it when I was a kid....like most other mecha anime ^^;;;;

Dr.Slump - the original series not the remake, its hilarous(sp? ^^!!! xD

Sanshiro - small robot toys thingies fight in a ring...hmm...think like Angelic Layer

Romance of the 3 Kingdoms - I've seen a TV series and a movie...both are are kinda old ^^;

Kung Fu boy Chinme(or something like that) - a pretty nice anime, I think the manga is licensed in the US, try it out =)

can't think of anymore titles right noe....
Judo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 17:23   Link #65
exedore
Zentradi Archivist

I've seen Seijushi Bismark (I've got 3 eps in Japanese).

Other rarities that you don't hear enough about:
-The Enemy's the Pirates
-Earth Defense Family
-Twilight Q (I want the new R2 of this!)
-Combustible Campus Guardress
-Most of the non-fansubbed Yuusha robots
-Vifam (ep 1, Tofu I want to buy your LDs)
-More funky stuff that I can't remember now, but will the next time I have to do a recommendations/obscure convention panel (which would be in about a month...)
exedore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 17:31   Link #66
I)ark-I)eath
EnI)eR I)ark I)eath

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
You just can't count Maico 2010 as rare anymore. Perhaps a few months ago you would have been l337 to have seen it, but episode 9 was released by F-B on Friday. In just the last 3 days it has already been downloaded by 1942 people.

That is not rare.
thats why i said it "WAS" rare....froshbite is doing it now right? go them!
I)ark-I)eath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 18:23   Link #67
Judo
Lazy Turtle

Send a message via MSN to Judo
Ninja boy Kabamaru(not Sure bout the original Japanese title) - it's one of the most hilarous anime EVER!!!! xD, I laugh soooo much when I see it, that I always choke and my eyes are always full of tears @.@;

????(I don't know the original Japanese title >.<) - this is about a This is about a girl from a dream/fantasy world...her father is a vampire and her mother is a Warewolf, and whenever she bites someone...she turns into them!!...she gets her power in the first eps...so while she was eating breakfest...she turns into a sandwich!!! a talking sandwich!! xD

Aura Battler Dunbine - a Guy gets warped into another world, in this world people are fighting a war using Insect like Mecha, I kinda liked it, but I don't think alot og people will like it

Astroganger - ......stay as far as you can from this anime....
Judo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 19:18   Link #68
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Aura Battler Dunbine is currently being released on DVD by ADV. This has been rescued from obsurity. Great show BTW. I wonder how badly ADV is messing it up...

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 21:17   Link #69
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
Suikoden: Demon Century.

I don't think it got past the first episode, if anyone knows if theres more than the first VHS that was released please let me know!

I love this anime, its based on the chinese, and the game [ which is based loosely on the legend. ]

I love ANYTHING suikoden.
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 21:36   Link #70
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Yeah, Maya the Honey Bee was a classic, and one of my first anime. And I clearly remember an episode where the Venus flytrap was going to eat the grasshopper, he escaped in the end, but I would always cry during that episode...

And then, the two series that are still my favorite anime series in the world and want to find them somewhere again really badly...

Moomintrolls was an excellent TV series based on an even better series of books. The TV was great because it included plenty of original storylines that weren't in the books. Still, when I was in Poland two years ago I saw a VHS of it on sale, so hopefully when I stop by there next I'll be able to get some Can you believe that Miyazaki directed one of the Moomin TV episodes?

Captain Daimos is my favorite mecha series to date. Amazing. The characters and plot were way ahead of its time, as far as I remember. But I don't remember much, unfortunately. I really really want to watch this series again.
Fighter Volk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 21:40   Link #71
Laryx

Maya the Honey Bee was anime?
Laryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-13, 21:47   Link #72
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laryx
Maya the Honey Bee was anime?
They list it on AnimeNfo, so I guess so.
Old 2004-04-14, 00:11   Link #73
SKoRPioN9x
Om nom nom

I own a 4 episode anime on DVD called Ruin Explorers.

Also, I never hear (or see, on forums) anyone talk about Wild Arms and DNA^2. I own both of those on DVD, too. Actually, DNA^2 is bootleg, but I plan to buy the authentic box-set soon (I didn't know anything about bootlegs way back then; and I don't even think it was licensed when I bought it, either).
SKoRPioN9x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 00:54   Link #74
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
Haha, Mumin/Moomin... Every kid in northern europe has been subjected to that stuff, so not very rare. Finnish writer, Japanese animators.
srb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 07:03   Link #75
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by srb
Haha, Mumin/Moomin... Every kid in northern europe has been subjected to that stuff, so not very rare. Finnish writer, Japanese animators.
That's good then! Us Northern Europeans are lucky! ^^
Old 2004-04-14, 09:37   Link #76
anthonyxscotland
Highlander

Rare ay?

Macross - Do You Remember Love? - This isnt loved enough, a remake of the SDF Macross TV series, and its sheer brilliance.

Megazone 23 - It wont be rare in 3 months time, but the VHS's and DVD (of the first movie) have went out of print. Great great great series of films, you can see where the Matrix got ideas from
anthonyxscotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 13:37   Link #77
Arwyn

About the only one I have that I can think of is a VHS of Lily Cat I picked up some years ago. I havent ever seen this anime listed since then, but I really have no idea how rare it is.
Arwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 17:42   Link #78
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

I gotta agree with Mr. Paper, why is it that so many people are listing licensed, widely available releases as 'rare'? Some people are mentioning anime that is available RIGHT NOW on ANIMESUKE as 'rare'. I fail to understand the reasoning.

Generally, if it's licensed, then it's not rare. Even many out of print anime can still be found if you put forth even a little effort. For example, you can pick up Space Fortress Macross on VHS with an awful dub, on Amazon.

Also, if we're including fansubs, we might as well include bootlegs, you can get all of the unavailable Macross series and movies, including Flashback 2012, fairly easily, and often at pretty good quality, through bootlegs. There's a bootleg of the Macross movie 'Do You Remember Love' (of which 'Space Fortress Macross' is an edited and dubbed version of) at pretty high quality, anamorphic widescreen with decent subtitles. The original television series is legitimately available, better quality than most legitimate releases because it's an AnimEigo job, on DVD. Remastered footage, tons of liner notes, all around excellent job.

Macross might be waning in popularity since the surge it had when Macross Plus came out, but it's still hardly rare. Even Macross 7 is fairly easy to come by, fansubbed or bootlegged.

How someone could list Macross Zero as rare is just beyond all comprehension. It's still coming out! It's so new that it's not even finished! What's more, fansubs have been coming out for each episode at about a day or two after the latest episode hits Japan! From multiple groups!

I wish I knew some of the titles of the rarest anime I've seen, all of it was raw, no translations at all, so I didn't even know the title. A friend of mine often traded fansubs with a guy that would toss on raw anime at the end of every tape. Just wish we had some of the titles, a lot of it was really nifty looking stuff that I've not seen since.

The rarest I can think of offhand would be 'Hareluya Boy II'...which did show up on Animesuki...but with broken links that were never fixed. I've seen it once at an anime convention back in 1999 or so, and never seen it since. I'd love to get ahold of that, I remember it being excellent.
Radd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 18:56   Link #79
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
What I have seen recently (rare... old anime
Candy Candy TV series (all 115 episodes/eng/FR)
Robot Senshi Laserion 26ep being fansubbed in French
Captain Future (French TV Series..the spanish Ver was much better )
Bionic Six TV all 56ep..
Yamano667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 19:31   Link #80
HoboGod
Necromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radd
Generally, if it's licensed, then it's not rare. Even many out of print anime can still be found if you put forth even a little effort. For example, you can pick up Space Fortress Macross on VHS with an awful dub, on Amazon.
welll, suply isn't the only factor when it comes to rareness... the reason alot of these animes are considered rare even tho they are licensed is because they didn't become popular and get advertised as much as they could have. people can't search amazon.com for an anime that they don't know. and a video store isn't going to carry an anime that nobody informed it existed. people are calling these things rare not because they went to a site listing the 100 most rare animes, they are listing these things because they stumbled upon it one place and couldn't find alot of other people who have it or even know what it is.
HoboGod is offline   Reply With Quote