AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

View Poll Results: Gurren-Lagann - Episode 27 (END) Rating
Perfect 10 340 65.01%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 97 18.55%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 35 6.69%
7 out of 10 : Good 18 3.44%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 1.53%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 0.38%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 0.57%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 0.38%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.19%
1 out of 10 : Painful 17 3.25%
Voters: 523. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-10-01, 21:54   Link #281
USCPharmacist

Epic End Is Epic!!!!!
Old 2007-10-01, 22:46   Link #282
wana10

the only possible bad thing i can say about this episode is that nia dies...dammit.
look at the end of g-gundam, domon breaks through to the center of the devil-gundam, confronts rain with his feelings, she breaks free, and together the blast a hole through the devil-gundam, barely escaping the ensuing explosion to live happily together forever and ever. my inner romantic rejoices at the kind of ending, and it was rejoicing during the whole wedding scene until nia goes and fades away. yeah i saw it coming but...but...*sniffle
Old 2007-10-01, 23:20   Link #283
Prolific

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
[color=red][b]>>

>>2. Why did Simon leave?

He wanted to "dig more holes", a metaphor for preparing other people for their futures.

>>5. What was the point of the anti-spirals?

To preserve this universe. They didn't want all life in the universe getting extinguished, so they exercised population control. Lord Genome did this to a smaller degree.
So, basically he didn't want to lead the Gurren Brigade anymore and instead wander?

And so the anti-spirals controlled the population because if they didn't then that would cause the Spiral Nemesis?
Old 2007-10-01, 23:39   Link #284
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prolific View Post
So, basically he didn't want to lead the Gurren Brigade anymore and instead wander?
Remember, Simon didn't ask to be leader originally and yielded the position to Kittan, even though it was pretty clear Kamina hand-picked him as a successor.

Simon's a great leader, but not the best. He's a great warrior, but not the best. What he's best at is digging, and since Gurren-Lagann's abilities coincided with his skill in digging that's why he was able to accomplish so much. A quirk of fate if you will.

That's why, when everything was said and done, he tried to pass on the responsibilities thrust onto him to people who were better capable of dealing with them. If there's a need for Garlock, I'm sure Simon could come roaring back into action, but for now, he's just returned to the simple life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prolific View Post
And so the anti-spirals controlled the population because if they didn't then that would cause the Spiral Nemesis?
Alright, here's the whole story. Thousands, perhaps millions of years in the past, humanity was exploring the stars and settling on other worlds. One such world discovered that human evolution has a causual effect on the growth of a galaxy, i.e. the black holes at the center of all galaxies. Spiral energy, and the spread of life causes this growth, and restricting this growth keeps the black holes in check. If spiral energy were to go un-restrained for a long enough time, the black holes of all the galaxies would grow large enough to engulf one another, sucking up all matter in the universe and ending it.

So, the Anti-Spirals decided to put a stop to that. They turned into Anonymous somehow (it isn't revealed how they became so much more powerful, though IMO it's because they build that special dimension, they normally wouldn't have so much power) killed off the majority of the spiral races, keeping them restricted to just a small part of the Milky Way, and watched over the remaining species like hawks. This way, life could go on but the universe would not be threatened with destruction.

Lord Genome opposed this, and rightfully so, but he could never penetrate Anti-Spiral space and was eventually worn down. Anti-Spiral (remember, the collective entity of the whole tribe) imprisoned him within a single world, where he remained as a guardian for a thousand years to keep the humans underground. Lord Genome, who had existed for so long, grew weary with the stress of living and became the cold overlord we met in fifteen.

One of the Lagann created during the wars against the Anti-Spirals found its way underground, where it was dug up by Simon a thousand years after Lord Genome's defeat. And from there, the story begins.
Old 2007-10-02, 00:07   Link #285
Zalith
GrimmHime

Nia...WHYYYY.

After all that Simon's been through, he deserves to be with his true love. Why. Whyyy T_T

The ending scene left me, well, an empty feeling :\

I feel sorry for both Simon and Yoko. Yoko lost both of the people who she loved, and now she's a teacher at some distant island. T_T

I wouldn't even mind the ending that much if they didn't all..separate. I guess it's everyone's own decision to live their own lives, but I'd rather they didn't separate the Gurren Brigade T_T.

That scene focusing on the graves were beautiful. The graves of Kamina and Nia..the two people whom Simon treasured most. And he lost them both.

Simon probably doesn't care about being remembered by other people, but seeing him wander around makes him look so pitiful, and that line "Who do you think I-...I guess I'm just a nobody" just broke my heart.

Excuse me while I bury my head in my pillow with a box of kleenex.
Old 2007-10-02, 00:18   Link #286
U<3Anime
Boo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wana10 View Post
the only possible bad thing i can say about this episode is that nia dies...dammit.
look at the end of g-gundam, domon breaks through to the center of the devil-gundam, confronts rain with his feelings, she breaks free, and together the blast a hole through the devil-gundam, barely escaping the ensuing explosion to live happily together forever and ever. my inner romantic rejoices at the kind of ending, and it was rejoicing during the whole wedding scene until nia goes and fades away. yeah i saw it coming but...but...*sniffle

yep...I guess i wasn't the only one who suddenly thought of G gundam when Simon wraps Nia around with his coat. Then as they were delivering the final blow with Lagann Impact i thought they do something like LOVE LOVE LAGANN IMPACT!!!! or other special version of the attack xd.
Old 2007-10-02, 00:28   Link #287
Nameless

2/10 for me:

Looking back, I should've given it a 1.

You know it's pathetic really. Anime started having bitter sweet endings because I guess it was the "cool" thing to be different. Hey let's be different and instead of having an anime end with joy and a feeling of closure, let's kill the main hero or the person the main hero loves, thereby entirely negating any purpose for the anime's build up to that point.

Let's see, the entire anime up until his brother's death was hopeful. A drastic time comes, they find a way to get past it. Then they kill him. Now Simon has to learn how to live on his own. Comes Nia. Simon falls for her, and in that process has to learn how to be a man on his own. But hey you know what, after he learned how to be a man so he could be with her, let's have her disappear as soon as they get married.

Bitter sweet endings aren't original. Every stupid manga writer is throwing them in, and I'm starting to think people develop such a fanatic attachment to the anime/manga, they defend these endings.

No, my friends, this wasn't a "good" or "epic" ending. It was a disappointment. Gainex, I'll be skipping your next series, if there is one. Congratulations on making a cheerful version of Evangelion that still had the same "as good as poop" ending.
Old 2007-10-02, 00:44   Link #288
Archer

It just occurred to me that there's been way too many people docking points off the ending for being unoriginal.

So, when has TTGL been original? The entire series was mostly about the well-done presentation of old material than anything else.
Old 2007-10-02, 01:22   Link #289
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

You know what's most funny?

When Yotsuba was watching the screencaps roll in, there was a thirty minute period after we got the wedding shot where the 2channers stopped uploading pictures due to shock. The 4channers, during this time, were complaining out the arse of it being a good end, which was corny/lame/underwhelming. Suddenly, Nia dies and there's a interm OH SHI- moment for about ten minutes when we see Old Simon, followed by spams of stuff like "IT WAS ALL A DREAM OF KAMINA'S FATHER BEFORE HE GOT SQUISHED ", "LOL GAINAX", "shiz sucks" and so on. When everyone saw the episode, so called manly tears were shed, then the complaints started getting batted around again.

There's no pleasing some people!
Old 2007-10-02, 01:30   Link #290
Stekkin

Stars where our spiral friends wait

About how the scene at the start of episode one, ties in with the ending.

Spoiler for :
Old 2007-10-02, 01:33   Link #291
musashiken
ニア ☆ 命

Quote:
You know what's most funny?

When Yotsuba was watching the screencaps roll in, there was a thirty minute period after we got the wedding shot where the 2channers stopped uploading pictures due to shock. The 4channers, during this time, were complaining out the arse of it being a good end, which was corny/lame/underwhelming. Suddenly, Nia dies and there's a interm OH SHI- moment for about ten minutes when we see Old Simon, followed by spams of stuff like "IT WAS ALL A DREAM OF KAMINA'S FATHER BEFORE HE GOT SQUISHED ", "LOL GAINAX", "shiz sucks" and so on. When everyone saw the episode, so called manly tears were shed, then the complaints started getting batted around again.

There's no pleasing some people!
It's 4chan, what do you expect? That's why I never go there at all, except on rare occasions to find pics. As for 2ch, yeah I can imagine the 30 min hiatus. For the first 15 mins of the episode, I was too busy thinking about Nia instead of focusing on the otherwise awesomegasmic fighting scenes. I was still feeling uneasy even up till the point of the wedding kiss. Everything seemed so surreal up to that point and then BHAM, shit start happening. I was opening my mouth for the remaining episode and I didn't even concentrate on the epilogue. All I remembered after the wedding was "WHAT THE FUCK JUST HAPPENED TO NIA?"

My "WHAT THE HELL IS ALL THIS CRAP?" during Eva ep 26 and "WHAT THE HELL DID NONO DO?" in Gunbuster 2 ep 6 was nothing like this at all...
Old 2007-10-02, 01:40   Link #292
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashiken View Post
It's 4chan, what do you expect?
Oh, I don't think Yotsuba was any different from many of the other anime communities worried about Gainax's track history - the next three biggest Gurren hubs, SomethingAwful, Narutofan, and here on AnimeSuki were uneasy as well. Only difference was Yotsuba is bloody fast when it comes to information processing, we react more quickly than other forums.
Old 2007-10-02, 01:46   Link #293
musashiken
ニア ☆ 命

Well unfortunately, I've never heard or been to those other hubs. Something awful? I was also never a Narutofan fan (Stop Tazmo bitches!). The thing about Yotsuba is that it's filled shit with anonymous. That's what makes it different I think.
Old 2007-10-02, 01:57   Link #294
Glitch87

here's my opinion on the theme of the ending.

Simon is not god. He was a savior. However, he was an exception. His forte was drilling, and breaking through(tengen toppa), and liberating so that others could follow behind him and live their lives to the fullest. I think having Nia fade away was poetic genious because if simon or spiral energy could bring her back, and everything was happily ever after, then what would be the point in life? Immortality defeats the purpose of life which is to live and die. I think having nia stay would defeat the whole point of the show, which is to live to your fullest right at this very moment, and enjoy what you have while you have it. Because all men die someday, and life is not perfect. I think Kamina understood this before he passed away. I think he felt content with himself that he lived his life the way he did.. I personally loved this series ending.
Old 2007-10-02, 02:07   Link #295
musashiken
ニア ☆ 命

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch87 View Post
here's my opinion on the theme of the ending.

Simon is not god. He was a savior. However, he was an exception. His forte was drilling, and breaking through(tengen toppa), and liberating so that others could follow behind him and live their lives to the fullest. I think having Nia fade away was poetic genious because if simon or spiral energy could bring her back, and everything was happily ever after, then what would be the point in life? Immortality defeats the purpose of life which is to live and die. I think having nia stay would defeat the whole point of the show, which is to live to your fullest right at this very moment, and enjoy what you have while you have it. Because all men die someday, and life is not perfect. I think Kamina understood this before he passed away. I think he felt content with himself that he lived his life the way he did.. I personally loved this series ending.
I fail to see your point. So you're not allowed happiness in living life? No point in being happily ever after? You're talking poetry in a show where huge mechas fight intergalactic dodge ball using galaxies as frisbees? So you can't break through the heavens and thus achieve happiness? You can't overcome all odds to forever be with the one you love? Face it, this is just an example of a Gainax signature "Let's kill off one last female character in the last episode, but shroud it under the flowery poetry of err realism philosophy...whatever that means"

Sure the theme of the show is to "Break Through" all obstacles, and for 26 episodes, we're shown the means to do so, but what about the end that lies after "breaking through"? Gainax is free to do whatever they want after Breaking through, and still meet the theme you know.
Old 2007-10-02, 02:58   Link #296
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

why...why can't I give a higher rating than 10?
Old 2007-10-02, 03:01   Link #297
Sunabouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
No, that's not what I mean.
Look back at the conversation they had at Cathedral Terra.

The "If it's not 0%, then it's the same as 100%" was about her body as Anti-Spiral.
This issue was not resolved, like he said they will be.

"If we win, will your body be returned to normal?"
"The probability of that is infinitly close to zero"
"But it's not zero, right? Then it's the same as 100% to me"

I'm not talking about getting her back from the Anti-Spirals.
well i have a lot to say, but for now...to this one...

it's true, they talk about her body...
he will return her body to how he was before...
how was her body before?...her body was all the time something that belonged to the anti-spiral...
the "return body to normal" what they are talking about is this...
Body which she has control of VS. Body anti-spiral has control of

the eye which is covered by some cloth in ep01 matches with simons 'spiral-eye'

mahh i just had to think of Highlander...in one move, he is really old, but when new enemys appear, he is young again...

maybe when there is a need, simon will use the spiral power to make himself young again and fight...

that's it for now... to be continued..

edit: well people say viral can't have children...but why? Lord Genome says, that beastmen can't have children because they don't have spiral power...but didn't viral discover his own spiral power while in the AU or short after? so he should be able to have kids with some human woman or an maybe an beastwoman which posses spiral power too...

edit: i don't think the old simon looks pitiful or anything...
you can see that he is a funny old man with a lot of humor
he knows exactly what he acomplished and that he has finished his task and that now is the time for the new generation...there is nothing pitiful i can see...well...his clothes maybe XD but they are fitting for a traveler who wants to explore the world which he 'created'
and he doesn't look depressed at all...

edit: well..maybe something i overlooked...but...where comes the name Aide from? i know it is supposed to be the human-boota-lookalike from ep01 but how do you know the name? from the credits or whatever?

Last edited by Sunabouzu; 2007-10-02 at 05:30.
Old 2007-10-02, 05:20   Link #298
ryuusei

Quote:
This ending is quite different from Diebuster and Mahoromatic - decade or two decade long time-skips always happen in Gainax epilogues, that's a tradition since Nadia broken only a couple times.

Diebuster was a happy end, I don't see how people could call it otherwise. It was also the SAME END to Gunbuster, so the people who didn't watch Gunbuster would have interpreted it as a "bad end".
well obviously diebuster didn't have any drills in it. But still, you can't disregard how chika goes out of the solar system for some diplomatic/peace keeping conference while lark stays on earth doing small stuff to preserve it aka looking after the birds. This is pretty similar to how some secondary character like gimmy is to attend to some diplomatic/peace keeping conference with viral and co. while galaxy saviour simon stays on earth to look after the kids.

Old 2007-10-02, 06:38   Link #299
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
There really isnt much more to say that has not already been said. Although I was sadden by some parts at the end i figured it was going to happen. In this type of series rarely does the hero stick afterwards, Simon served his purpose there was no more need for him. I wish Nia had not died but again im sure we all saw it coming that was the only thing i disagreed with. Its been a long time since iv seen a true happy ending with hero getting his dues i expected the japanese to always give us bittersweet endings. The human race survives saving all spirals and head out to claim their place in the universe. What a fun fucking ride im sad its over but i love its.

Im glad they did decide to do a SimonxYoko pairing after Nia fades away it would have too unrealistic. However it sucks that we dont get to see Simon or Yoko as parents I think they deserved that much

Last but not least time was not kind to Rossiu he looked way different and man what a tan he got over those 20 years lol.

10/10 although i dont think the episode epic as some people are calling it. This kind of ending has actually been done to death and has become somewhat fanatical. Why did i give it a 10? because the presentation was on Par not that i agree with the whole ending it was just presented well and sometimes that all i ask.
Old 2007-10-02, 07:09   Link #300
chechiarts

ok ok ok i am mad
first in episode 1 theres boota human form and another guy what that at first i think this is from the last episode but i dint happen so what is it
and i got a idea is before all in the war with the anti spirals and bootad was there and the guy that have gurren lagann before simon and another think ho give simon the drill in the first place well i think his father father father ect was the guy in the begining and why you think there gurren lagann is under ground inj the first place well that guy put it there and leave boota there to guard it why do you think boota looks the same in the last episode this is theory 1

ok heres theory 2 gimmy cand drive the gurren lagann because if you see in the last episode was blasting of to space dint you see the kid saying guren laggan something i dont understand japanese so sorry but any way i think there goin to be more they are goin to start exproring space so i think they find a new enemy and they figt or something

thank you for your time here what i think of the end

well i dint like that nia die and that yoko never gets married and have no kids
that was sad i dint want to look at her old anyway the end was ok but not great yokop was to hot to stay single.

anyway for a next season if there were one i have the perfect idea simon is needed again his is imortal because of spira enegy he makes the others young again anf figth is you have a better one tell me please
Closed Thread