Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-01-09, 17:05   Link #941
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
The complaints were raised because KyoAni announced new projects as well as their announcements about no plans for a new Haruhi season. We were expressing an opinion about the direction of the studio. Other people got annoyed at us for raising these concerns, and this is the conversation we have.

No one is stopping you from talking about that stuff but your own selves who can't get off our backs for merely raising concerns and stop pushing people's buttons.
The fact that they went out of their way to specifically state something about that franchise just seems to continue to hint to me that it's more of their ass-backwards marketing. It seems like it's all about subtle manipulation with them. Tell people that there's no new Haruhi, wait a few months, have it quitely air on TV so that when somebody sees it the internet explodes with word of mouth and everybody instantly hits the peak of their anticipation and the hype goes through the roof right as it's airing. Something just really nags at me that this is the case once more like it was with 2009.
Old 2012-01-09, 17:15   Link #942
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well Haruhi seems to be the only series that has managed to get away with that pattern of promotion. I don't see Sunrise being able to pull that off with Gundam without some heads rolling from the fans.

Maybe Type-Moon with one of their Fate series, but even that might not go over well. (Fate/Prototype for example sort of appeared out of nothing with mixed results...but it was with another Type-Moon product, Carnival Phantasm. It didn't just appear in TV randomly)
Old 2012-01-09, 17:17   Link #943
Goggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
The fact that they went out of their way to specifically state something about that franchise just seems to continue to hint to me that it's more of their ass-backwards marketing.
First off, KyoAni hasn't made any statements regarding Haruhi at all (that I know of). The "no plans" comment came from a random Kadokawa representative. Also, there was no direct quote so the exact wording remains unknown.

Secondly, they did not go "out of their way" to make any statement - unless I'm mistaken, it was a response to a direct question. The same stock response companies always give to inconvenient questions of this nature.

I wouldn't take this as an attempt at marketing. Or anything at all, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
It seems like it's all about subtle manipulation with them.
I believe "viral marketing" is the phrase one would normally use for this type of thing, but hey, if you want to phrase it in the most damning way possible, that works. Subtle manipulation, indeed.
Old 2012-01-09, 22:30   Link #944
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggen View Post
First off, KyoAni hasn't made any statements regarding Haruhi at all (that I know of). The "no plans" comment came from a random Kadokawa representative. Also, there was no direct quote so the exact wording remains unknown.

Secondly, they did not go "out of their way" to make any statement - unless I'm mistaken, it was a response to a direct question. The same stock response companies always give to inconvenient questions of this nature.

I wouldn't take this as an attempt at marketing. Or anything at all, really.
Normally I wouldn't but then the way Haruhi (2009) happened kind of speaks for itself as to how bizzarely they'll go about promoting the franchise.

Quote:
I believe "viral marketing" is the phrase one would normally use for this type of thing, but hey, if you want to phrase it in the most damning way possible, that works. Subtle manipulation, indeed.
I think it's just plain bad marketing and treating the fanbase like a bunch free advertising conduits so yeah the intent to be damning is definitely there in this case. I just find the way Kadokawa handles it's marketing to be among the least desirable ways of going about such a thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Well Haruhi seems to be the only series that has managed to get away with that pattern of promotion. I don't see Sunrise being able to pull that off with Gundam without some heads rolling from the fans.

Maybe Type-Moon with one of their Fate series, but even that might not go over well. (Fate/Prototype for example sort of appeared out of nothing with mixed results...but it was with another Type-Moon product, Carnival Phantasm. It didn't just appear in TV randomly)
I like how people often treat this like it's a good thing or something to be celebrated. To me it just looks like the definitive example of a fanbase rewarding bad behavior from a producer and it probably wouldn't fly anywhere else with any other fanbase. Make no mistake I do not consider this a good thing at all for either the fans or the company in questions reputation. Also I just plain don't see Sunrise doing something like this period. They're kind of on the opposite side of the spectrum what with just drowning fans in little tidbits, special events for interested parties, and frequent updates as to a projects progress, airtime and scheduling. I kind of see this as the better method of promotion even if it does lead to almost too many spoilers at times. Making the fan feel appreciated, welcomed and like they should be given all the information they desire about an upcoming project of there's...that's pretty generous corporate behavior and probably not all that inexpensive either.
Old 2012-01-11, 12:44   Link #945
all_flying

?
Why silent? Whine more please...

Anyway, KyoAni posted something in their Hyouka website. Something about staff comments on project, but unfortunately I can't read it
Old 2012-01-11, 20:26   Link #946
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

For the most part, I'm not inclined to read much into the statement - after how Haruhi 2009 backfired on Kadokawa, being low key seems like a logical response.

That said... I can't help but notice ANN only says they deny a third season. Anyone know if the franchise is in a position that would allow for another movie at the moment?

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Old 2012-01-12, 07:29   Link #947
rulfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
KyoAni's work on Nichijou proved to me that they can animate action sequences gorgeously. I'd love to see a new straight-out action series from them one day. (I never watched FMP and at this rate I probably never will. Incomplete adaptations of plot-heavy works frustrate me quite a bit these days.)
When I look back and watch Munto(The first two OVAs) KyoAni was really good with explosions. But the fight choreography was pretty generic or nothing mind blowing.

However, in Nichijou, they were being more creative. I would be pleasantly surprised if they pulled an itano circus if FMP is handled by them.
Old 2012-01-12, 07:39   Link #948
Skane
Anime Snark

You should check out the combat in FMP!, especially TSR. It's visually painful, like the throat slitting scene.

Cheers.
Old 2012-01-12, 07:59   Link #949
rulfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
You should check out the combat in FMP!, especially TSR. It's visually painful, like the throat slitting scene.

Cheers.

Ah damn I remember that throat slitting scene. One of the biggest KyoAni back then KyoAni now comparison I can make. If you were new to KyoAni you'd be shocked to see they pulled off something like that.

On the topic of action. It would be awesome if KyoAni would be doing some action cuts with mecha. The only concern I have with them doing FMP is that do they still have the staff members for doing mecha? Some people who are related with the FMP work might have already left. Ordet breaking off from KyoAni due to Yamakan being fired during Luck Star's airing is another thing.

In any case Kigami is pretty good with explosions so that's safe. But is it bad to hope for them to pull something like this?

Last edited by rulfo; 2012-01-12 at 08:21.
Old 2012-01-12, 09:06   Link #950
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulfo View Post
~~ In any case Kigami is pretty good with explosions so that's safe. But is it bad to hope for them to pull something like this?
Not counting generic robot mooks, the only other mecha I associate with KyoAni is Big Cytron, which is appropriate given their penchant for WTF-humour sometimes.

Which is why Planetarian is win-win for everyone! Moe mecha! Apocalyptic tear-jerker!

Cheers.
Old 2012-01-12, 09:13   Link #951
brocko

Nano should count as a mech right? She is a robot afterall, might've even shot an odd missle or two throughout Nichijou's run lol

--------------------

On the viral marketing thing. Kadokawa has openly stated that one of the main strategies for Haruhi was unorthodox marketing. It seems unlikely that this tactic will change anytime soon if ever since it has become an almost signature trademark for the franchise. Combine that along with the increasing number of companies who seem to be going more and more nuts with viral marketing techniques and yea it's probably gonna stay with Haruhi a little while more.

2009 was certainly in bad taste, but to be fair the franchise did initially take off from such unorthodox techniques too. If you look at the intial broadcast order, various website shenanigans and of course the Hare Hare Yukai dance (this may've been accidental though, I don't think anyone could've planned nor expected this to blow up as it did lol) among others, they were all things that largely helped in getting the franchise off the ground.

I don't think that they're methods are entirely and completely bad per say, just that 2009 was a bad decision in itself and to be honest I don't think any sort of marketing would've been able to salvage that. But at the same time I can sorta understand the behind-the-scenes type reasoning as to why they went ahead with what they did though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
For the most part, I'm not inclined to read much into the statement - after how Haruhi 2009 backfired on Kadokawa, being low key seems like a logical response.

That said... I can't help but notice ANN only says they deny a third season. Anyone know if the franchise is in a position that would allow for another movie at the moment?
I agree that it's probably best to not pay any more attention to that comment.
Content wise and using the wiki chapter list, I'm guestimating that there's 5 more short stories and 3 more main story arcs left that they havn't animated, although one on those main arcs is still ongoing.
Someone whose read past Live A Live please correct me and/or help elaborate more if you can. I'm pretty sure I must've messed some of that up lol

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.

Last edited by brocko; 2012-01-12 at 09:23.
Old 2012-01-12, 10:59   Link #952
rulfo

@skane
I guess you're right... Planetarian did have mecha in them so yeah there'll be some mecha tidbits on key parts. Nano... I thought she was a normal girl?

Regarding the unorthodox marketing on haruhi, it breaks my heart that Gundam 00's BD was released earlier while the wait for disappearance's BD was almost a year. All because they wanted to release it on that particular date. When I slowly realized the date of release and the movie's timeline I was like har har Kadokawa!

Oh well that's that. At least though they weren't that ravaging on the net like other companies.

Man I remember catching haruhi on youtube. The vid stayed for years. First subbers were a.f.k. IIRC. Good times.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2012-01-12 at 21:53.
Old 2012-01-12, 11:25   Link #953
Skane
Anime Snark

Oh yeah... Nano's a bot too, but in terms of moe... Yumemi is leagues ahead of her.

Cheers.
Old 2012-01-16, 08:52   Link #954
thirdlc

I finished the second half of Inoue's interview in the end.

The first half

Spoiler for the second half:

Last edited by thirdlc; 2012-02-14 at 05:05.
Old 2012-01-16, 19:22   Link #955
kyouray
2D > 3D

You're great ! Thanks a lot again.
That's the 1st time I read the term 'symbolic action' (記号化) even if many critics use it. I'm not sure to get it since Inoue's definition looks different from wikipedia's one. Anyways it still is the most interesting part of this half when he talks about unified animation of KyoAni & patterns. It's impressive as he says but that's why it's difficult to recognize individual works excepting some animators (besides their key animation books don't have animators annotations). He may be true about individual own ideal but I think it's one of KyoAni's charm to be so unified. By the way I need to rewatch K-ON to check this pattern theory by my own eyes.
Old 2012-01-16, 22:39   Link #956
all_flying

wow, thanks again thirdlc. Highly appreciate it.

And its funny Inoue didn't mention about "gesture". Since this is the first thing I recognized from KyoAni's style.
Old 2012-01-17, 11:01   Link #957
rulfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdlc View Post
I finished the second half of Inoue's interview in the end.

The first half

Spoiler for the second half:
I am your slave forever.

j/k

Thanks again!

Spoiler for LOL:

Ahahaha! I dunno if that was a subtle stab at the original source or what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyouray View Post
You're great ! Thanks a lot again.
That's the 1st time I read the term 'symbolic action' (記号化) even if many critics use it. I'm not sure to get it since Inoue's definition looks different from wikipedia's one. Anyways it still is the most interesting part of this half when he talks about unified animation of KyoAni & patterns. It's impressive as he says but that's why it's difficult to recognize individual works excepting some animators (besides their key animation books don't have animators annotations). He may be true about individual own ideal but I think it's one of KyoAni's charm to be so unified. By the way I need to rewatch K-ON to check this pattern theory by my own eyes.
It saddens me that I suck at sensing patterns consciously. Only a couple of animator's I can distinguish in an instant like Yutaka Nakamura, Hironori Tanaka, Hiroyuki Imaishi, etc. But those aren't from KyoAni.

KyoAni's animators, their style is pretty mysterious... Individually... Very had to discern which is whos.

For me at least...

Last edited by rulfo; 2012-01-17 at 11:28.
Old 2012-01-22, 00:20   Link #958
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Not sure if it's mentioned before. But how popular is Seitenkan? And is it possible for Kyoani to make this a gold mine so they can tap in and draw out unlimited cashes? (a slice of life version perhaps?)
Old 2012-01-22, 04:18   Link #959
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I'm going to assume you are taking about the Haruhi version and not something random.

I don't kow how popular it is presently. More Kyonko and the like fanart does show up though.

Though the question would be...who would they need to talk to to get a story or rights to the character? Would they need any rights? It is a parody of sorts, just a parody that does it straight (mostly).
Old 2012-01-22, 15:15   Link #960
thirdlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by all_flying View Post
wow, thanks again thirdlc. Highly appreciate it.

And its funny Inoue didn't mention about "gesture". Since this is the first thing I recognized from KyoAni's style.
When he was talking about symbolic action, Inoue had gesture in mind too. If you cannot read it from my translation, it's my fault. Probably, action wasn't the right word to choose. I should have used acting.
Closed Thread

Tags
studios