AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-12-06, 19:15   Link #1
Ryuu-Odjn
Lost...maybe

Tales of Destiny (Remake) Game Discussion

It's been out since 30th Nov, so has anyone else got it yet? Had my copy yesterday along with the LE "Orange Gumi Dramatic" DVD.

I'm only 6 hours in, but so far it's like Destiny 2, but far better. Not as frustrating as it's sequel. Magic is still as powerful as ToD2 but it's not become as annoying....yet The CC system in the game is also new and kinda weird to get used to. As is the Swordian upgrading system. But it seems to be relatively straight forward.

Spoiler:

As for the DVD, it has artwork, a soundtrack and a weird "gameshow" (for a lack of better word) with Leon, Stahn and Rutee presented by Jade (Tales of the Abyss) and Zelos (Tales of Symphonia). Very strange stuff.

So any thoughts?
Ryuu-Odjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-06, 20:21   Link #2
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Deserved a remake. I take it there are additional ougis this time around?
I'm looking forward to playing this, then maybe finishing ToD 2 for the ps2 as well.

EDIT: Btw,
Spoiler:
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-07, 03:14   Link #3
Ryuu-Odjn
Lost...maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fict_ticious View Post
Deserved a remake. I take it there are additional ougis this time around?
Yip alot more, Stahn has 5(!) hiougi attacks, but so far I've only seen his first. Most characters seem to have 2 attacks. Here's a list I "borrowed" off Gamefaqs' message board with all the ones found so far:

Spoiler:

Quote:
EDIT: Btw,
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2006-12-07, 19:30   Link #4
Ruri
Procrastinator

I got my copy last week, and I'm absolutely loving it. This game definitely deserved a remake.
Ruri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-08, 02:27   Link #5
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

i really hated the ending the first time around. dont really want to play it again when there are other tales games that are still fresh out of the box.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-08, 02:46   Link #6
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Oh man, I came just watching the videos of the high ougis. Heh, I thought they would just resample their voices form the other games, but it seems like some might have been replaced (clarify this?).

@Ryuu-Odjn
Spoiler:
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-10, 16:14   Link #7
Ryuu-Odjn
Lost...maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fict_ticious View Post
@Ryuu-Odjn
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

I've just done one of the most annoying dungeons in the game, which involved some moving platforms (I believe it's Mikheil) as well as Cloudius which was also just as annoying. Not sure how much I've got left of the game, but I'm around 19-20 hours in so far.

The fights however just keep gettting better and better. The combat moving to the air more and more but the game matches it as well with the techniques you get. Especially since I got a new favourite character to play as:

Spoiler:

The only problems I have so far are the high encounter rate, the AI's tendency to use hiougis (rather than save them for a boss fight) and some of the puzzles. I'm also not quite sure about the swordian upgrading either, though all the characters seem well balanced so it may just be me. Also goushourai+flash+heal hp is kinda broken
Old 2006-12-12, 12:20   Link #8
KBTKaiser

playing ToD1 for the first time, I'm impressed with the revamped visuals honestly. All that remains for me is to kick my playing into high gear and speed blitz/level.

oh, and the attack guage is gonna take some getting used to. ^^;
KBTKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-15, 13:42   Link #9
Ryuu-Odjn
Lost...maybe

Right then, finally finished it!

Spoiler:

Overall though, good game, shame about some annoying bits in it.
Old 2006-12-20, 09:46   Link #10
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu-Odjn View Post
[spoiler]Especially since I got a new favourite character to play as:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Did anyone try beating the boss in hard mode? I have a hard time in Normal, not need to mention about Hard.

Last edited by Duo Maxwell; 2006-12-21 at 05:07.
Duo Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-21, 19:31   Link #11
Ruri
Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
Spoiler:

Did anyone try beating the boss in hard mode? I have a hard time in Normal, not need to mention about Hard.
Spoiler:
Ruri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-16, 15:44   Link #12
Z3120

I desperately want to know where the picture of Marian in 3:52 of this Lion video is from here. Anyone have an idea where this picture is originally from? Even if it's from a fanfic, I don't care. It's a cute picture

A few spoilers of the Lion mode from ToDrDC in that video. Be prepared.

Oh, and I checked the premium box artbook for the pic, and unless I wasn't looking well enough, I couldn't find it. And the Marian pic looks like a fanfic thing anyway so I doubted it would even being there. Any help appreciated.

And anyone know where there's a translation guide for the new swordian abilities?
Z3120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-17, 17:09   Link #13
Ryuu-Odjn
Lost...maybe

Wow, I forgot about this thread!

That pic in the video looks like its from a manga or doujin of some kind.

Also is Director's Cut worth picking up? From what I've read, the new content is not much, and isn't worth picking up if you have the original.

As for new skills, (From Gamefaqs Message Board):
Spoiler:

The skills are in katakana so translating should be relatively easy.
Old 2008-02-18, 01:43   Link #14
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

Oh wow, there was a remake? I've only played the original PS version.
Spoiler:

Also relevant to this thread.

Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-18, 17:34   Link #15
Z3120

The Director's Cut version is definitely not worth it if you already bought the original. I bought it because I preordered the premium box set for cheap, the massive promise of more of anything Leon related and had tons of fun playing the ToDr (plus, for such a blast of time I had, didn't want to do the alternative...)

In regards to the bonuses, Kingdom Hearts 2: Final Mix + offered much more yet you still had people wondering whether to import it or not. I personally thought Namco would have somehow tried to merge ToD and ToD2 to include Judas and have this huge solo mode, but Lion mode basically ends where...

Spoiler:

And yeah, after I found this kind fella here who translated almost everything that happens in Lion mode (3/3 almost finished. Hope it's soon), I think that Marian picture I saw earlier could be the Director's Cut manga he mentioned in his journal. Looks like I might be in the hunt for it too...
Z3120 is offline   Reply With Quote