Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2015-12-08, 15:46   Link #821
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Maybe it's the low resolution, but I seriously think the animation and models of Frontier looked better.
Having the original TV series fansubs of Macross Frontier and having seen it recently, I rather disagree.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-09, 07:01   Link #822
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Having the original TV series fansubs of Macross Frontier and having seen it recently, I rather disagree.
Really? I'm kinda on the fence, myself.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-09, 10:23   Link #823
magnuskn

Just looked at a few of the episodes again, and I maintain my impression for now. Frontier definitely looked better (especially at the high resolution THORA provides ^^). Of course there are outlier episodes, too, like episode eight.

We'll have to see what the new series looks like when it airs. Maybe it's the low-res promo. However, the new genki moe girls character designs looks rather basic to me, simply on the way she is drawn.
Old 2015-12-09, 12:34   Link #824
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Episode 24 - 25 of Frontier are what I consider a hallmark in anime action sequences. That battle ballade between Alto & Banana and Frontier & Quarter will be very difficult to top.

Not even the movie, or anything in recent memory for that matter managed to achieve what Frontier's last 2 episodes did. The amount of energy emitted in 24 - 25 was... excessive.

And I think thats a problem. I will be watching Delta with an impression left by Frontier, it is a distinct possibility my experience will be filled with preconceptions.

But we'll see, keeping my fingers crossed.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-09, 13:09   Link #825
Darthtabby

I actually think some of the crazy dogfights in Zero are better than the ones in Frontier.

Its sometimes seemed to me that Frontier TV had better CGI integration than some of the newer Satelight productions (including the Frontier movies at times). That being said, remember that the trailer for Frontier (mislabeled here as a op and unfortunately muted due to a copyright claim over its use of Sagittarius 9PM) featured a placeholder model for the VF-25!
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-10, 18:18   Link #826
ReddyRedWolf

Shoji Kawamori Forbes interview.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebar...never-credits/
Quote:
“Macross Delta’s story is set 8 years after Macross Frontier. While Frontier was based closer to the galactic core of the Milky Way, Delta is set in the planets at the outer rim.”

“At the time of the show, there is something known as Var Syndrome which makes people very aggressive and is spreading across the galaxy like a kind of epidemic. In among this are the tactic musical unit Walkure, a group of girls who can sing. The effect of their singing is used to calm the effects of the syndrome.”

“The girls from this tactical musical unit are also be supported by Delta platoon, which are transformable combat troops deployed in these operations. Then there are the Aerial Knights, which are separate and somewhat of a mystery group. So all these elements interact and the story will progress from that.”

“In Frontier, the story was based around a colony fleet visiting various planets but this is more about specific planets and the different people who live on them.”

“In terms of Aerial Knights, their insignia indicates a degree of nobility and while they have elements similar to the Anti-United Nations in Macross Zero they are not directly connected, but do have a similar standpoint.”
Getting Macross Delta info from Forbes of all places.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-10, 18:59   Link #827
Tak

But this is indeed a wealth of information. I've always believed Macross was more Yamato than it was Gundam, turns out I was right. Though I never knew his studio worked on the original Gundam. That was quite a surprise.

And to think he made the colony laser a reality in MSG.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2015-12-10, 19:52   Link #828
Gravitas Free Zone

That was a surprisingly long and comprehensive interview. Though I still have to package my response to the Battletech Unseen situation as the good ol' FUCK HARMONY GOLD.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-10, 21:17   Link #829
Tak

Not just Harmony Gold, but everyone else who has been taking credit at his expense. I will give an example, in the move Edge of Tomorrow, which is based on the LN: All you need is kill, the author did not even show up until the end credits in a blink and you'd miss moment. Quite frankly, I am rather irked by the consistency of this frequent occurrence.

- Tak

Old 2015-12-10, 22:48   Link #830
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Wow. Saw Matt Alt tweet about that interview this morning, and finally got around to reading it. "Fantastic" doesn't even cover it - I'm lost for words.

In particular, the part that grabbed me was about Kawamori and co.'s contributions to the Gundam franchise. Sounds like they were one of the reasons that people really started developing the worlds of these huge franchises, like Gundam and quite a few mecha since. If I actually had the time, I'd love to find out how that early creative development of a series/franchise has changed over the years - it's like Tolkein and Middle Earth!

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-10, 23:26   Link #831
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
“In the TV series the resolution was brought about by Minmay’s song but in the movie, due to the 2 hour restriction, I had to simplify it down. Although the song did bring about an alliance, the last boss had to be beaten by weapons in the end. That ending I regret.”

“That regret resulted in a new Macross series ten years later known as Macross 7, where the protagonist was Nekki Basara, who is constantly singing and never uses weapons. So in terms of the positive side of a song can bring, this is something that Nekki Basara did.
See people? He didn’t smoke any weed when he made Macross 7. It was his genuine passion .

And thanks for your contribution to Gundam-verse, Kawamori. Your designs are also superb. The Gundam GP-series are some of my favorite Gundam designs in the franchise. Btw, when it comes to Gundam, Kawamori seem to like making some really big guns *looking at Colony Laser & Gundam GP02’s nuclear bazooka*
Old 2015-12-11, 00:01   Link #832
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
In particular, the part that grabbed me was about Kawamori and co.'s contributions to the Gundam franchise. Sounds like they were one of the reasons that people really started developing the worlds of these huge franchises, like Gundam and quite a few mecha since.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
And thanks for your contribution to Gundam-verse, Kawamori. Your designs are also superb. The Gundam GP-series are some of my favorite Gundam designs in the franchise. Btw, when it comes to Gundam, Kawamori seem to like making some really big guns *looking at Colony Laser & Gundam GP02’s nuclear bazooka*
Puts a different spin on his involvement with Gundam doesn't it. I have long heard the very oft-quoted description of how much a fanboy he was of the Gundam verse, except totally lacking any credible reference. Well, not quite, he was directly involved.

Lets face it, the man has a thing for big shooty guns, and that very influence is a lasting legacy for both Gundam & Macross until this day.

I feel terrible that he has not even been consulted on the upcoming Robocrap movie, as if Hollywood is ignoring him. I find that disrespectful. A Robowhatever live-action without Kawamori? Thats sacrilegious, if not downright heresy.

- Tak (Now go take Harmony Gold to court, please)

Old 2015-12-11, 00:03   Link #833
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Btw, when it comes to Gundam, Kawamori seem to like making some really big guns *looking at Colony Laser & Gundam GP02’s nuclear bazooka*
You mean you wouldn't do the same if given the chance?

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-11, 00:23   Link #834
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
You mean you wouldn't do the same if given the chance?
Bah, give him an opportunity to put songs in Gundam and see what he comes up with... oh wait...

- Tak

Old 2015-12-11, 01:46   Link #835
ReddyRedWolf

The Var syndrome reminds me of the rogue Zentradi in UN Spacy plot in Macross 7 Trash to increase Zentradi aggressiveness using Protodevlin Spiritia technology.

It is also amusing Kawamori has Basara and Sharon Apple as opposites because in games it is Basara doesn't hate Sharon Apple and is the one who convinces her.

edit:

Reina Prowler
15/y/o. Member of Walkure. Hacker. Doesn't talk much. Shows little in the way of emotions.

My speculation here Reina Prowler may be an android. Macross Musiculture has set a precedent with El a formerly abandoned cyberoid.

We know in Macross Plus and that drama CD with Luca making AI with AIF-8X that is possible to have AI based on human personalities. It is also what is hinted with Grace and Galaxy Anonymous hivemind.

Her not having much emotions may indicate she is a pure AI.

Remember back in Macross Plus humanity was excited with the possibility of creating a sentient and sapient AI. Just that Marge cheated with illegal use of bio-neural chips and using Myung as basis. Bio-neural chips gave the X-9 an extra edge by giving it a survival instinct.

One of Luca's Ghosts, whom he cared for, sacrificed itself despite self preservation instinct.

Last edited by ReddyRedWolf; 2015-12-13 at 16:11.
Old 2015-12-16, 00:06   Link #836
Darthtabby

Seeing as she's a hacker, I wonder if Reina's surname is a reference to the EA-6 Prowler electronic warfare variant of the A-6 Intruder...

Do we have a thread for interviews anywhere? I think it would be good to put that Kawamori interview somewhere where it can be found before it get buried under other discussion.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-16, 04:48   Link #837
ReddyRedWolf

Macross Delta TV Anime Introduces Its Female Idols
Profiles of the Wulkure.

We starting to get Aerial Knights profiles also.

Keith Aero Windermere.
19y/o. Member of the Valkyrie Unit 'Aerial Knights' from the Kingdom of the Wind. Ace Pilot. Has a sharp mind and is somewhat aloof.

Loyd Blaim
20y/o. Commander of the Valkyrie Unit 'Aerial Knights' from the Kingdom of the Wind.
An intelligent young man with a suave personality who looks good in glasses.
he is apparently quite particular about his glasses.

Theo Jussila
16 y/o Member of the Valkyrie Unit 'Aerial Knights' from the Kingdom of the Wind.
Pilot. Has a twin brother who is also a member of the Aerial Knights.
Old 2015-12-16, 07:47   Link #838
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Something about their shoulders just feels...off.
Old 2015-12-18, 08:13   Link #839
ReddyRedWolf

The other twin.

Zao Jussila
16 y/o Member of the Valkyrie Unit 'Aerial Knights' from the Kingdom of the Wind.
Pilot. Twin brother of Theo. Has a more aggressive personality than his brother.

Bogue Con-Vaart
15 y/o Member of the Valkyrie Unit 'Aerial Knights' from the Kingdom of the Wind.
Pilot. The mischievous youngest member of the team. Raised by his sisters.

Yes he isn't a girl.
Old 2015-12-18, 12:46   Link #840
Tak

And Yet, none of these are the two primary characters...

But we could at least start to cast deathflag votes....

- Tak