Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series

Notices

Old 2017-06-14, 10:30   Link #1
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Patlabor EZY

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...vealed/.117465

This was revealed at the Annecy International Animation Film Festival. Taro Maki is one of the project's producers

The synopsis:

Quote:
With the rapidly accelerating development of hyper-technology, a humanoid-type machine called "Labor" is being used in every field of industry. However, it has created the new social menace of "Labor" crime. In order to curb such crimes from happening one after another, the Metropolitan Police Department has established a special department. the "Special Vehicle Section No.2". It consists of company of patrol "Labor" known as Patlabor.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-14, 11:27   Link #2
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

First Pluto, now this. It's been forever since anime announcements make me this excited.

Wonder if it's gonna be a reboot. Hopefully it will be more inline with the tone of the manga instead of the movies.
Old 2017-06-14, 18:26   Link #3
Sage Shinigami

Send a message via AIM to Sage Shinigami Send a message via Yahoo to Sage Shinigami
A Patlabor television series? EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Sorry. I just...really, really love Patlabor. Sometimes I need a break from ridiculous mecha series. Not often, but often enough for a Patlabor shaped hole to be filled in my heart.
Sage Shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-14, 18:31   Link #4
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

After getting hyped up, and then getting hype killed by how the Patlabor "reboot" went (It was good, but unfortunately way too short), I'm hoping this new Patlabor is an actual proper TV series.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-14, 22:52   Link #5
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

I’m so glad hearing this news. I’ve already said some time ago in a thread about old anime that we don’t have any mecha series like Patlabor TV today, but here we are with a new series.

I hope the anime series take some notes from the recent Patlabor short by bringing the rampant social media into the story. That's a good material for social commentary & satire in this era.

Still, as hyped as I’m hearing the news, a bit of warning for those newcomers who read this thread: Patlabor itself is not a “hype” anime series like OPM, AoT or even Gundam. It’s a comedy-satire with subtler jokes and jabs compared to, say, Working! series. It also can be a bit “too Japanese” sometimes to the point where only Japanese can get the joke (kinda like Shin Godzilla).

All in all, Patlabor is a satire of Japan’s police department as well as a what-if scenario about what will actually happen if giant robot actually exists as a vehicle for various needs such as construction, military and law enforcement and the 90s Patlabor TV series made a good comedy out of it. That's why the series is considered great. The Patlabor movies OTOH treat things a lot more seriously which is weird considering the Early Days OVAs which supposed to be on the same continuity as the movies are as comedic as the TV series (even featuring a freakin’ sea monster whose face looks like Hiromi (one of the the protag team).
Old 2017-06-14, 23:43   Link #6
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Well then, this is a pleasant surprise. I do have some fond memories of the series, so this will be something to look forward to, and as others mentioned, it will be interesting to see if this new iteration adapts to the changes in society and technology. Granted, we don't have mechs yet, but things have changed quite a bit since the original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
All in all, Patlabor is a satire of Japan’s police department as well as a what-if scenario about what will actually happen if giant robot actually exists as a vehicle for various needs such as construction, military and law enforcement and the 90s Patlabor TV series made a good comedy out of it. That's why the series is considered great. The Patlabor movies OTOH treat things a lot more seriously which is weird considering the Early Days OVAs which supposed to be on the same continuity as the movies are as comedic as the TV series (even featuring a freakin’ sea monster whose face looks like Hiromi (one of the the protag team).
Huh, I didn't know about that last part
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-14, 23:57   Link #7
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem-x View Post
Huh, I didn't know about that last part
It's quite funny (at least for me). You might want to try watching that episode again. It's episode 3 of the Early Days OVAs. There are lots of Godzilla (1954) parody and jabs in that episode that made me (a Godzilla-fan) burst in laughter the first time I watched it.

All in all, do you know that giant monsters have been frequently used in Patlabor as enemies. We have a lab-runaway giant hairy monster, the aforementioned giant sea-monster, a giant subterranean dragon-like creature, and even Alien-inspired giant monster in the Patlabor Movie 3 .
Old 2017-06-15, 00:06   Link #8
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
It's quite funny (at least for me). You might want to try watching that episode again. It's episode 3 of the Early Days OVAs. There are lots of Godzilla (1954) parody and jabs in that episode that made me (a Godzilla-fan) burst in laughter the first time I watched it.

All in all, do you know that giant monsters have been frequently used in Patlabor as enemies. We have a lab-runaway giant hairy monster, the aforementioned giant sea-monster, a giant subterranean dragon-like creature, and even Alien-inspired giant monster in the Patlabor Movie 3 .
I didn't even know there was a third movie!
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-15, 00:42   Link #9
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem-x View Post
I didn't even know there was a third movie!
Then watch it, it's interesting.

The event of Movie 3 happened between Movie 1 & Movie 2. The movie actually focuses on the POV of detective Hata & Kusumi. IIRC the former is a character that appeared earlier in the OVA (in the aforementioned sea-monster episode IIRC) and other instances in the Patlabor saga. Our beloved protag-team members of Division 2 are actually only background characters in that movie, so it can be considered a side-story.
Old 2017-06-16, 16:57   Link #10
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

So happy that this is getting a new anime. I liked the little short and was hoping for a new anime after they did the live action.

Just wonder how far along they are in the pipeline with this.

I would totally love to see the same characters, but if the voices are different it wouldn't be good, so i guess it would be all new characters, maybe the ones from the short.

Was always a fan of the tv series versus the movies. I liked the movies as well, they're actually quite good, but they were a little too dark as opposed to the comedy aspects of the tv series.
Old 2017-06-16, 23:04   Link #11
Kazu-kun

I hope it won't be based on Reebot. Going from Izumi to that beta guy was such a downgrade. I need a more spunky protagonist, please.
Old 2017-06-17, 03:03   Link #12
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I hope it won't be based on Reebot. Going from Izumi to that beta guy was such a downgrade. I need a more spunky protagonist, please.
IMO, outside the mecha-related stuffs, Izumi is pretty beta herself. She gets ordered around and is often subjected to pranks from her male colleagues (especially Asuma & Captain Goto). She’s pretty much just an energetic dunderhead mecha-otaku with a talent for piloting . She’s not actually a standout presence in most of the TV series runtime whenever she’s not piloting Alphonse. She spent most of her time reacting and doing orders. Ironically, that makes a good MC for a comedy series, but not so much for a serious series. Proof of it is that whenever things got serious and dark (be it in TV or Movie) Patlabor always focuses more on Captain Goto, Captain Shinobu, Kanuka, Takeo or heck even Asuma while they left Izumi just to pilot Alphonse or have her sit tight and standing by when her (genius) piloting skill is not needed. Motoko Kusanagi she is not (far from it). Even Mikazuki Augus from IBO has more presence than her outside the mech. You may rewatch Patlabor show & movies again if you don't believe me .

So, in many ways, the male pilot from the short is not too bad compared to Noa Izumi.
Old 2017-06-17, 03:13   Link #13
xizro345
King's Justice

I'm interested as long as Oshii isn't on board the project (though it looks quite a long way off). The series and the OVA were ok (as well as the manga), the first movie was sort of nice (save for a few questionable choices) but the second was kind of horrendous for me. Haven't seen the Reboot short so I have no idea how it is.
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-17, 06:12   Link #14
Kazu-kun

Quote:
that makes a good MC for a comedy series, but not so much for a serious series.

So, in many ways, the male pilot from the short is not too bad compared to Noa Izumi.
Reboot did try to be funny (it just didn't work). I'm not sure why you're expecting the tv show to be different. In any case, you're just proving my point. For a show that doesn't take itself seriously you need a spunky MC like Izumi. This guys doesn't cut it.
Old 2017-06-17, 08:53   Link #15
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Reboot did try to be funny (it just didn't work). I'm not sure why you're expecting the tv show to be different. In any case, you're just proving my point. For a show that doesn't take itself seriously you need a spunky MC like Izumi. This guys doesn't cut it.
I'm not arguing the spunky part. You said the reboot guy was beta while Noa was just as beta as him.

Also, the reboot was trying to gender-mix and personality-mix the characters. It has a female Cpt. Goto-expy who commands a female vehicle-operator Asuma-expy who is spunky like Noa, and a male pilot Noa-expy who worries a lot during mission like Asuma. It works for me. Too bad it doesn't work for you.

And a male/female who worries a lot also makes a good MC for comedy, not just spunky girl.
Old 2017-06-17, 09:34   Link #16
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Also, the reboot was trying to gender-mix and personality-mix the characters. It has a female Cpt. Goto-expy who commands a female vehicle-operator Asuma-expy who is spunky like Noa.
Nah, the operator wasn't like Noa at all. She actually was the voice of reason here. If you add the fact the guy is kind of serious himself (if a little touched on the head), you get a pretty boring dynamic.
Old 2017-06-17, 09:49   Link #17
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Nah, the operator wasn't like Noa at all. She actually was the voice of reason here. If you add the fact the guy is kind of serious himself (if a little touched on the head), you get a pretty boring dynamic.
I said "vehicle-operator Asuma-expy who is spunky like Noa". Just because the female operator got Noa's spunky-ness doesn't mean she lost her reasoning. She's Asuma-expy after all, so "the voice of reason" is still her role. Like I said, Reboot mixes some gender & personalities/traits.

Also two reasonable characters: one spunky and one worriwart still make a good comedy couple.

EDIT: now that I just re-watched Patlabor Reboot, it looks like the guy-pilot has Ota's temper too in addition to what I have said above. Yeah, that's even better for a character dynamic.

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2017-06-17 at 10:24.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-17, 11:10   Link #18
Kazu-kun

Quote:
I said "vehicle-operator Asuma-expy who is spunky like Noa". Just because the female operator got Noa's spunky-ness doesn't mean she lost her reasoning. She's Asuma-expy after all, so "the voice of reason" is still her role. Like I said, Reboot mixes some gender & personalities/traits.
She's kinda like Asuma, yeah, but nothing like Noa. I guess when I said spunk I meant more like enthusiasm. You know how Noa was totally crazy about labors. Like she really enjoyed doing this shit. I liked that positive attitude.

Quote:
Also two reasonable characters: one spunky and one worriwart still make a good comedy couple.
They're boring, but to each their own, I guess. Again, I just hope they won't use these characters. Not sure if I'm gonna watch it if they do. The fact there's a bit of Ota to him doesn't help. He was fun as a side character, but I don't think he'd work as MC.
Old 2017-06-17, 12:05   Link #19
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
She's kinda like Asuma, yeah, but nothing like Noa. I guess when I said spunk I meant more like enthusiasm. You know how Noa was totally crazy about labors. Like she really enjoyed doing this shit. I liked that positive attitude.
Yes, she is. And yes, spunky doesn't always mean enthusiastic. Fun Fact: Noa almost always worried about how Alphonse will get scratched & damaged whenever she got sortied to the point that it hinders her ability in some occasions. She's not that enthusiastic about her missions. She's more enthusiastic about preserving Alphonse to its top condition and maybe have some harmless fun with it. And the female operator of Reboot has that (for the limited amount of time the episode showed us). You can see how lively she is in the episode during the dispatch mission without being too enthusiastic or crazy about it (that's Ota's department). Again, she is a spunky Asuma-expy. Another Fun Fact: Ota is actually the one who is almost always enthusiastic whenever he got dispatched in Labor coz that means he'll have the chance to use guns. So, if you want to compare the enthusiasm and enjoyment during missions (which is what the Reboot is: 7-8 minutes of dispatch mission), Ota easily beats Noa.

Quote:
They're boring, but to each their own, I guess.
I guess you're not a fan of 48 Hours, or the 66 Batman & Robin or any of the Lethal Weapons comedy bits.

Quote:
The fact there's a bit of Ota to him doesn't help. He was fun as a side character, but I don't think he'd work as MC.
A little bit of Ota shouldn't do harm in the hands of a good writer. The Tremors sequels kinda proved how it can actually be fun.
Old 2017-06-17, 14:38   Link #20
Kazu-kun

Quote:
spunky doesn't always mean enthusiastic.
That's mostly what I meant though. It's one of the things I find compelling about Noa.

Quote:
And the female operator of Reboot has that (for the limited amount of time the episode showed us). You can see how lively she is in the episode during the dispatch mission without being too enthusiastic or crazy about it (that's Ota's department).
Did you really watch this things? The girl spends the whole thing being worried about the captain's crazy orders. I don't know if she's "lively" or whatnot, but you can't definitely tell that just from this short.

Any case, I'm tired of this argument. If you like this shit, more power to you. Doesn't work for me though. Going by reboot, they seem to be aiming for a light-hearted vibe like the original tv series, but I don't think these main characters work for that kind a show.