AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-02-23, 08:22   Link #41
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I'm friends online with a few people. I've been gaming with a crew of online friends that I have never met IRL for a decade now .

And indeed, there are some ASers I converse with constantly.

Saintless, don't say anything about my yaoi relationships lol.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-23, 08:25   Link #42
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I'm friends online with a few people. I've been gaming with a crew of online friends that I have never met IRL for a decade now .

And indeed, there are some ASers I converse with constantly.

Saintless, don't say anything about my yaoi relationships lol.
He always groups up and plays with Archon_Wing whenever we are online for SC2.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-23, 19:35   Link #43
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Online friends.... Just as my RL friends, I don't have a lot of them, but I can say that the few friends I have are really close with me

One unique experience was that I found my first GF through a local forum that was about 5 years ago, and it didn't end well

What I like about online friends is that they tend to reflect their true self more than in RL (At least most of people whom I met), but this is sometimes could be quite a problem when meeting IRL coz they'll act different, not as talkative as when they're online

Only met a number of people IRL, though... geographical problem since I don't live in a very well-known area.
Old 2011-02-23, 20:10   Link #44
whitepearl
Dietrich fan #681675

Send a message via AIM to whitepearl Send a message via MSN to whitepearl
I have online friends, mainly from message boards I have participated in—this one included.

Nothing wrong with having online friends. Especially if you are shy and are afraid to approach people like I once was. :lol:

Twitter
whitepearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-23, 20:14   Link #45
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Hmmm I don't really want to say this, but tbh I generally have friends who I am to closer/trust more online than IRL .

I'd say I have 5 or 6 friends online who I consider particularly close, though in my defense I have meet up with two of them in RL before, attempted but failed for various reasons with two others, and have/do talk to them thru phone, or skype at times, so isn't like I only know thru text completely . So meeting up in person isn't needed for me to become good friends with someone. Also I have a number of people I talk to online as well whom I'd call friends either from forums, or games, but I am not really as close to them I suppose.

And well part of it is I generally have trouble really getting to know people in person, and then opening up to them, since I am fairly shy and quiet in person unless I've know them for awhile, but even the few closer IRL friends I have, I can't say I've managed to be who I really am around most of them.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-23, 20:17   Link #46
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

I have online acquaintances. No real online friends.

While I wouldn't mind being familiar with more people on forums and such, it's harder to come across as the person I really am over the social shield of the internet.

In the end it's always better to be friends in person rather than through the internet.
Old 2011-02-24, 00:07   Link #47
Konata42

I wouldn't say I have online friends rather acquaintences that I see In forums I frequent.
Konata42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-24, 17:36   Link #48
AnimeToonzaiFan182

I have Online Friends on 4KidsTV,and on Anime Suki! I love to have online friends!
You have Online Friends? I love Anime! I watched Sailor Moon online and on TV last night!
AnimeToonzaiFan182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-24, 20:17   Link #49
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

I consider everybody I talk to on here as an online friend. I've never had any issues with any of you and many of you share long, insightful conversations with me; I can't really say that I do this with my real life friends too often.
Old 2011-02-24, 21:04   Link #50
xl_Legit_lx
Destruction by Carnage
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to xl_Legit_lx Send a message via MSN to xl_Legit_lx Send a message via Yahoo to xl_Legit_lx
I have 3 close friends. We met in the same gaming community.

My friend, Gurk, who is here as "Avalon"...we have known each other for going on 5 years. So, I'd say, we pretty much talk about everything. We even came to this website together. Hah.

My other friend, from the same gaming site, we were pretty close. Applied to same colleges (ended up going to different ones), but still work in the same major and help each other out. Also known him for going on 5 years.

Those are my two close friends from online.

-Legit
xl_Legit_lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-24, 21:51   Link #51
Knightrunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by xl_Legit_lx View Post
I have 3 close friends. We met in the same gaming community.

My friend, Gurk, who is here as "Avalon"...we have known each other for going on 5 years. So, I'd say, we pretty much talk about everything. We even came to this website together. Hah.

My other friend, from the same gaming site, we were pretty close. Applied to same colleges (ended up going to different ones), but still work in the same major and help each other out. Also known him for going on 5 years.

Those are my two close friends from online.

-Legit
Keep those friends close. I lost ties with mine when the years pass by so always talk to them in some way, shape, or form.
Old 2011-02-24, 23:15   Link #52
xl_Legit_lx
Destruction by Carnage
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to xl_Legit_lx Send a message via MSN to xl_Legit_lx Send a message via Yahoo to xl_Legit_lx
They have my number , haha and facebook.

-Legit
xl_Legit_lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-25, 01:30   Link #53
Neat Hedgehog
Hack of all trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
And if they had...less than noble intentions, why travel all the way over to where I live, or why have me come there? If you're going to rob or rape or kill (or whatever) someone, why not do it locally? Why spend months talking to them on the internet if that's all you're going to do at the end?
Because some people get off on "stalking their prey" and they're less likely to get caught if they target an area further away from where they live. There are actually plenty of reasons to make it worthwhile that come to mind pretty quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Yeah... I'll be glad when this line of thinking finally starts to die away. Unless I'm mistaken and everyone that posts online is secretly a serial killer rapist, I think there's way too many people that have this kind of paranoia.
Well, if you would notice, I didn't really relegate my paranoia to people you meet online. I don't trust people I meet in real life first, either. I mean, I would never meet with anyone in private without having known them for at least... two years? And then I probably wouldn't eat or drink anything they offered me. No, I'm not kidding.

This is probably because I cannot read people, so I never know what people are about to do or say unless I have had a very long time to learn their behavioral patterns. It pretty much impossible to learn them if all I can do is read text, so there is no way that would ever consider the idea that I "know" anybody that I just talked to online.
Neat Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-25, 03:36   Link #54
Otaku Guy
Disabled By Request

I love online people! I think people tend to show who they really are online then they do IRL.
Although I dont have many online frineds the ones I do have are awesome!!
But I am always looking for more, I dont think you can ever have to many frineds. You know, just people with common interests that talk to each other on a regular basis, I think its fun regardless of what you talk about.
If anybody wants to talk message me~!
Otaku Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-25, 10:43   Link #55
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku Guy View Post
I love online people! I think people tend to show who they really are online then they do IRL.
I would say just the opposite. People are more likely to cover up who they are online because it's so much easier to do.
Old 2011-02-25, 12:03   Link #56
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
I would say just the opposite. People are more likely to cover up who they are online because it's so much easier to do.
I disagree as "social standards" effect how many people act in person in public, so it's much more encouraged to not be who you are, while online isn't encouraged in the same way.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-25, 17:43   Link #57
Otaku Guy
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Well yeah you have a point. Because people actually do pretend to live different lives online, thats a fact you cant say that they don't
But on the other hand you cant say people who may act a certain way in public to fit the "social standards" don't be who they really are online.
It goes both ways.
Otaku Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-25, 18:02   Link #58
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

To the both of you, I imagine it goes either way. Niche communities are easier to find and become a part of online, so yes, if you're in one of those, you're representing yourself better than you might in real life. On the other hand, social standards and dynamics exist online as well as in real life, and it's much easier to deceptively conform to them online. I've experienced both sides of it: I've known people who lie and hide who they are because they want to be accepted, and I've known other people who are completely open because, hey, what does it matter what online people think?
Old 2011-02-26, 01:32   Link #59
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Like most very serious technical types, my online face isn't all that different than my actual face, since "online" is just as real a world to us--in terms of business and making money, anyway.

It also helps that most of the people I interact with frequently online are also people I knew locally at one time or another.
Old 2012-02-17, 13:19   Link #60
Hera

Talk about online friendship:

I've been Facebook friends with a guy for about half a year. We interacted normally and friendly. No problem between us at all.
But there were two things this guy did recently that made me think, "you suck":
1. We asked each other's IM screen name. He gave me his MSN but didn't add me on there (I sent him a buddy request but he never accepted it.).
2. One day his best friend suddenly asked me, "Who are you?" which took me by surprise. It meant that this guy kept me a secret all this time. When I answered his friend that "I'm so and so's FB friend. I know him from this fan club...", she still thought I was "shady" or something because she started showing the attitude, like, jumped into the middle of my conversation, really annoying.
I think this guy may not be a good friend to keep around Thoughts?

Last edited by Hera; 2012-02-18 at 11:27.
Hera is offline   Reply With Quote