Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fairy Tail

Notices

Old 2009-03-10, 19:21   Link #1081
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest35 View Post
I'm pretty sure he does - he grew up with Ezra and demonMirajanne - can you imagine the pain instore for anyone walking in on either of them??? Frightening just to think about it...lol
yea but would soooooooooooo totally be worth it

Natsu knows just enough, after all he got his transformation of Lucy pretty spot on
Old 2009-03-11, 15:20   Link #1082
Vash002
Ready to Boast

Awesome chapter!

Spoiler for Ch 126:
Vash002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-12, 01:32   Link #1083
AlphaDragoon
Flame of the Dragonslayer

Natsu tore Luxus UP. Dang.
AlphaDragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-12, 01:58   Link #1084
FoxxFireArt

Send a message via Yahoo to FoxxFireArt
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDragoon View Post
Natsu tore Luxus UP. Dang.
I hope Luxus doesn't get up again. They already pulled that tired bit of the fallen villain getting back up in Negima!.
Natsu is very much like Luffy, but that's what I love about him.
Gazelle confuses me. That seems like another tired cliche. The bad guy acting like a good guy who's trying to take the good guys down from inside. I just seem him getting too attached the FairyTale and not going through with the plan.

They better answer why it was Nastu and Gazelle couldn't get out of the guild originally.
Old 2009-03-12, 11:15   Link #1085
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Gazille doesn't want Natsu to die because he wants to kick his butt himself. It's the 'rivals until someone bigger comes in' thing with them and Natsu would no doubt be the same way with Gazille.
Old 2009-03-12, 21:04   Link #1086
FoxxFireArt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest35 View Post
Gazille doesn't want Natsu to die because he wants to kick his butt himself. It's the 'rivals until someone bigger comes in' thing with them and Natsu would no doubt be the same way with Gazille.
Or he needed Luxus defeated for his plan in the future, and he knew he wasn't in a position to do it himself.
Old 2009-03-13, 02:23   Link #1087
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
Ugh, how many times is Natsu gonna tear up the supposedly godlike villain? So he just gets stronger and stronger for no reason whatsoever and crushes the strongest guy in the guild? Whats the point of the manga if he main character can never lose?
Old 2009-03-13, 06:49   Link #1088
FoxxFireArt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soconfused View Post
Ugh, how many times is Natsu gonna tear up the supposedly godlike villain? So he just gets stronger and stronger for no reason whatsoever and crushes the strongest guy in the guild? Whats the point of the manga if he main character can never lose?
See DragonBall, One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Mar, and Rave. It's the way of the combat manga. If it bothers you so much go read Azumanga Daioh or Love Hina.

These series are all about a hero who overcomes a villain that seems impossible with not just the strength of his body, but the power of the heart.
One Piece is a lot like FairyTale. A simple minded hero and a band of others who bond like family. Even Luffy's Gear system he pulled out out of nowhere during the Enes Lobby arc.
Old 2009-03-13, 08:20   Link #1089
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

This manga is getting repetitively boring.
Old 2009-03-13, 12:27   Link #1090
sumowow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxxFireArt View Post
See DragonBall, One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Mar, and Rave. It's the way of the combat manga. If it bothers you so much go read Azumanga Daioh or Love Hina.

These series are all about a hero who overcomes a villain that seems impossible with not just the strength of his body, but the power of the heart.
One Piece is a lot like FairyTale. A simple minded hero and a band of others who bond like family. Even Luffy's Gear system he pulled out out of nowhere during the Enes Lobby arc.
Actually the gear 2nd was shown to have appeared in one of the One Piece movies. He Tried to hold up something that tried to crush him, and his legs started doing the gear 2nd rotation, his body soon started to throw out steam and he punched the enemy away. Later on he goes "whats this? Whats going on with my body?" or something to that extent. I dont know where the gear 3rd came from though.
sumowow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-13, 12:52   Link #1091
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
Quote:

The difference between all those manga compared to Fairy Tail is they never really got too repetitive. The main characters in those series became stronger for a reason, training or whatnot, you see them grow as characters. You don't see any of this with Natsu, he simply becomes stronger and stronger, gains random new abilities, takes massive amounts of damage and keeps getting up, as Drago said it's boring and repetitive. He was getting rocked by Luxus for half a dozen chapters then suddenly pulls out an attack that one shots him. Okay....
Old 2009-03-13, 13:11   Link #1092
Cinocard

Ridiculous damage endurance is the inevitable characteristic of battle manga main characters. Even the like of Hajime no Ippo, the "realistic ones" is like that too.

Repetitive and what not. I won't argue about that. But Luxus lost simply because he lost his will to fight. Natsu had the technique with enough destructive power to floor Luxus (heck, Mike Tyson can floor him). He just couldn't use it. Because Luxus pawned the asshole out of him. Then gave up.

But, oh boy, DBZ isn't repetitive? And Mar? It used the exact equation from Flame of Recca. It's just a huge tournament of some sort, with opponents pre-ordered, then jump in, fight and the good guys win 99% of the time. NO casualties.

We agree that this arc isn't all that great. But problems of this arc are of this arc, not of the whole manga (hopefully).

Last edited by Cinocard; 2009-03-14 at 20:53.
Cinocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-13, 17:36   Link #1093
Ultenth

I think it's the fighting that seems repetative. No matter what Natsu does, it all looks like he's turning his fist on fire or blowing fire at people, there isn't as much variation and character in his attacks as characters like Luffy, who has a large variety of very distinct and well-portrayed special moves.
Ultenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-13, 20:39   Link #1094
Cinocard

Yeah, his character design from the first place is so not for fancy and complex, intuitive attack. Though it is repetitive, I can hardly imagine him using anything different, it would be kind out of place in FT world.
Cinocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-14, 01:02   Link #1095
FoxxFireArt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumowow View Post
Actually the gear 2nd was shown to have appeared in one of the One Piece movies. He Tried to hold up something that tried to crush him, and his legs started doing the gear 2nd rotation, his body soon started to throw out steam and he punched the enemy away. Later on he goes "whats this? Whats going on with my body?" or something to that extent. I dont know where the gear 3rd came from though.
The movies aren't canon though. They probably just put it in there as an excuse to have the Gears move in the movie.
Much in how they did the odd remake of the Drum Island arc with Robin and Franky in the crew already.
Old 2009-03-14, 01:28   Link #1096
Slayerx

Quote:
The difference between all those manga compared to Fairy Tail is they never really got too repetitive. The main characters in those series became stronger for a reason, training or whatnot, you see them grow as characters. You don't see any of this with Natsu, he simply becomes stronger and stronger, gains random new abilities, takes massive amounts of damage and keeps getting up, as Drago said it's boring and repetitive. He was getting rocked by Luxus for half a dozen chapters then suddenly pulls out an attack that one shots him. Okay....
I'd hardly call that a "one shot"... afterall Luxus took a good amount of damage before that attack... one shot implies it was the one and ONLY attack used; that was not a one shot move, but a finishing move; not to mention that Natsu would have been finished, twice, if not for Gazzille's help

And the difference between Natsu and other Shonen heroes is that Natsu STARTS strong... most shonen heroes start near the bottom and spend the whole series working their way up to the top. Natsu however at the very begining of the manga is praised as one of the strongest characters around; few can really match him... Natsu isn't pulling new moves out of no where, he has ALWAYS had these moves... he is a seasoned fighter and already has a pre-existing moveset; its just a matter of when he actually shows these moves

in fact though they say he's an A-class fighter, phantom's top 5 members were considered s-class fighters and Natsu beat two of them; which seems to indicate Natsu was not to far from s-class himself... really, is Natsu's rise in strength any different from Luffy in one piece? i mean Luffy is never seen training and just grows strong by just fighting on... only difference between the 2 is that Natsu starts off the series already at a relatively high level... though i do admit, the drawback is that it makes Natsu less likely to actually loose a fight, and him loosing would be a good change of pace; it was only against Jose' that someone other than Natsu dealt the final blow... Mashima's should know it's not bad to let other characters have the spotlight once in a while

Quote:
The movies aren't canon though. They probably just put it in there as an excuse to have the Gears move in the movie.
Much in how they did the odd remake of the Drum Island arc with Robin and Franky in the crew already.
Well, true, though technically, it should be mentioned that sometimes Oda has used fillers to include stuff he would have liked to put in the manga... For example, Ussops louge town filler is a stor oda wanted to tell in the manga but had to cut it out because he was being pressured to move on to the grandline... The third henchman that appaered in the drum island movie is another one, oda supposedly wanted to include him in drum island bt had to cut him out... the origin of the gears could be another thing that got cut out do to pressure to keep the story moving... though personally i'd have cut out davy back fights to make room for training; davy back was entertaining but plot important material should come first

one could possibly argue that some of those movies did happen in between the major arcs when the strawhats were sailing around... while some do not fit, others could... it's pretty much is up to oda as to whether or not non-manga material should be considered canon; word of god and all that

Last edited by Slayerx; 2009-03-14 at 01:43.
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-14, 03:47   Link #1097
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Natsu resembles Luffy quite a lot, and remember that Luffy got 1HKO'd by Aokiji, that's an utter defeat...and he lost to Lucci in Water-7 too. Haru also lost to Drew and Lucia in Rave, Natsu will probably lose a fight somewhen in the future...but not while fighting his guild mates, it's just not enough of a serious reason to make him lose!
As for this week's chapter
Quote:
you'd better give up...trying to make me give up!
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-14, 03:59   Link #1098
Darklord_bg
Hallowed Redeemer

I don't understand why some of you guys are complaining, unless this is your first shounen series. Maybe you are expecting Fairy Tail to be different (i.e. better) than One Piece, Bleach etc. when it really isn't - it's just standard shounen. This means that it will have shounen cliches like the main character getting beat up by a much stronger antagonist only to rise again and again with nothing more than the power of will and KO'ing the villain in one final attack.

However, it also has all the good characteristics of shounen like the spirit to never give up, the exciting battles and cool moments, the heartwarming friendship scenes etc. This chapter was very emotional at the end when Natsu let out a fierce cry of desperation after defeating someone whom he still considers a friend.

On a different note, did you guys read the preview for next week's chapter? It was about how one must be punished for one's mistakes despite friendship/relative ties. It strongly suggests that Luxus will not get out of this with a slap on the back. Death is probably too harsh a punishment, but what I suspect will happen is he'll be exiled from the guild. This will give him a chance to ponder over what he's done and perhaps return too aid the heroes later, or maybe reunite with his father and return later as a stronger villain. I've got to admit, I like the second option better.
Old 2009-03-14, 08:18   Link #1099
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

It probably would be the later - return as a stronger villian. And thats IF he rejects the guild right here. I can also see that his father probably also knows the deal about the Dragons as well. He'd be a fool not to - he's probably the one who set Luxus up to learn Dragon Slayer in the first place.
Old 2009-03-15, 12:54   Link #1100
aesthetic
Violinist/Pianist

Quote:
probably, natsu already has those moves to begin with..cmon, igneel taught him. isn't he like the strongest dragon dude or something? i think natsu has that one unique technique in him..the dragon slayer..maybe that sudden power surge was because of natsu devouring the etherion? cause on his fight with gazille, he needed to eat fire.. on this one.. i'm not sure where he got his strength back.
aesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, adventure, fantasy, shounen