AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-02-22, 06:47   Link #161
Petco

I only watched the first six episodes of the dub, I really like all the VAs except for Konata's(Wendee Lee's).

Now I don't hate Wendee Lee's Konata(it is starting to grow on me, I am starting to like it) but I think she sounds a bit rough or something if that's the right word to describe it.

For example, I liked the way "Haushinka" voiced Konatain this fandub clip. Though maybe I don't like Wendee Lee's Konata because I watched that(fandub clip) before Wendee Lee's official dub version. I know "one" of the reasons I liked Kagami's official dub VA was because the official VA sounded similar to the fandub VA in the example above, and of course I liked Kagami's fandub VA because it seemed to fit her.

Anyway, I am enjoying the dub. Also I like how the dialogue is intact.

One of the annoyances for me(recently), with subs is that I can't seem to read and process(I reread what I just read) the subs fast enough(when Lucky Star first came out subbed, I remember not having to pause but rewatching it but I've been having to pause it a lot recently ), so it gets tiring watching the subs sometimes(I still enjoy it enough though).

Note that I only recently rewatched Lucky Star subbed last week, so I forgot a lot of the exact dialogue(I do remember the scenes), which is why I focused so much on the subs.

That's why I found the dub to be more relaxing(and therefore, more enjoyable) than the sub. Though I do prefer the Japanese voices over the dub(just a bit, for some reason I feel more attached to the Japanese voices).
Old 2010-02-22, 21:23   Link #162
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
I tend to listen to subs before dubs (usually I watch subs before dubs).... and times when dubs come out in front of me....
Old 2010-02-27, 22:37   Link #163
ConfinesOfTheDark
Reaper's Disciple

The English dub were somewhat enjoyable; the only dub I hated hearing was Patricia Martin's. I'm not sure if they were trying to give her a Minnie Mouse voice, but either way, the voice hurt my head so my bad, after I finish any episode with her in a speaking role I had to take aspirin.

I'm currently watching the series over again with just the English subs. And while Patricia's seiyū sounds a lot better to my ears and brain, I'm not sure if the producers were trying to do the same thing as the Americans (not saying they would, it's a possibility though).
Old 2010-02-28, 12:23   Link #164
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I think the idea is that Patricia (being the uber-otaku) is trying to emulate her impression of the higher-pitched voicing that Japanese women use when they're in 'cute mode'.

Unfortunately for Patricia --- her voice is high to begin with so 'the joke' is that it is grating.

Why the English dubbing does it .... well, I suppose the VA director was just trying to emulate the original Japanese. The high pitching simply doesn't seem to translate well when spoken by native English actors ... which is odd because when Japanese women do the effect in English it works just fine.
Old 2010-03-01, 23:35   Link #165
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

They could have gotten some Japanese girl who knows English (and speaks in a cute high pitched voice XD)
Old 2010-03-04, 20:38   Link #166
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
They could have gotten some Japanese girl who knows English (and speaks in a cute high pitched voice XD)
Aye... or even Scandinavian... just someone with an accent who kind of mangles the language in an earnest way.
Old 2010-03-05, 08:11   Link #167
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

...mangles?

lold.

I'D LOVE A HIGH PITCHED GERMAN.

THAT'D BE AWESOME. XD
Old 2010-03-05, 09:31   Link #168
Sparvid
*hic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Aye... or even Scandinavian... just someone with an accent who kind of mangles the language in an earnest way.

"Wi nøt trei a høliday in Sweden this yer?"

Last edited by Sparvid; 2010-03-24 at 16:34. Reason: stupid hotlink...
Old 2010-03-15, 10:55   Link #169
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
What do you think of this one:

Old 2010-03-24, 09:22   Link #170
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

That is utterly adorable and would drive me stark raving mad if I had to work with her on a daily basis
Old 2010-03-24, 14:32   Link #171
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

At least this dub is correct... the official dub is kinda wrong on so many levels...
Old 2010-04-27, 11:37   Link #172
Mikoto Misaka
Made in Japan

Then, I won't buy the official dub
Old 2010-04-27, 13:31   Link #173
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

lol they always put subs as well inside the CD
Old 2010-10-15, 14:49   Link #174
Araxiel

Just to weigh in;
I usually hold Lucky Star up as an example if people want to see something with a good English dub. Personally, I love all the voices except Patricia's- and she's unusually high-pitched and grating in the Japanese dub as well, so I guess she's meant to be that way. XD
Old 2010-10-16, 17:46   Link #175
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

True...yet sometimes in spite of all that...u know...=/

People sometimes simply generalize it all (that dubs are mostly terrible)

Lucky Star is a sure exception to all that. (and as season 2 may as well -- for all I know -- in around a year, if not never) we'll just hope that Bandai will keep almost everyone's voices except Patricia's? lol
Old 2010-10-16, 19:38   Link #176
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araxiel View Post
Personally, I love all the voices except Patricia's- and she's unusually high-pitched and grating in the Japanese dub as well, so I guess she's meant to be that way. XD
Ah yes, Patricia's voice. At first I hated every appearance of hers just because of that voice. But after seeing the series for a second time, kinda got used to it. It actually fits her pretty well, in a funny way.

Talking about her japanese VA though. But as you said, it seems there's not much of a difference anyway.
Old 2010-10-20, 19:53   Link #177
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

That's why let's hope that the English VAs will be a little more...uhh...stickier to the voices of the Japanese VAs...

Like everybody said...Konata sounds like a geek sometimes, although it's an advantage as well =P
Old 2010-11-11, 05:21   Link #178
SakuraxHoney

hmmm... I watched the dub first so I'm a little bit biased saying that the dub is good, but I've watched some eps subbed too plus the OVA and both the seiyuu and the VAs fit their characters perfectly (Patricia's voice may not be the best in English but what could they've done? there'd be a huge uproar if her voice sounded completely different from her Japanese voice)
Old 2010-11-11, 18:31   Link #179
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

lol they could get a Japanese person who knows English and will mangle the language or something...

Hi, mai name isu Paturishia Marutin desu~

Oh wait nvm, sounds funny...
Old 2010-11-14, 09:04   Link #180
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Doesn't the Japanese VA know English? I say make at least Patricia's VA the same for English and Japanese...(That's if Season 2 is coming anytime soon...3-4 un adapted volumes are enough for a season)
Closed Thread