AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Asatte no Houkou

Notices

Old 2006-10-26, 23:22   Link #281
JediNight
キズランダム

As the saying goes -- don't attribute to malice that which can be attributed to ignorance.

I don't really think Hiro ever meant to harm Shouko. In fact he probably didn't even realize he was making a unilateral decision. He thought he was HELPING her by letting her finish her dreams of completing school and not get her involved in his personal problems. The problem is that wasn't his decision to make.

This is just one of those muddy relationship situations that people make mistakes and do. I'm certain that similar fallouts to this happen to people all the time.

So no, I don't really hold it against him TOO much, because you really don't know how much relationship experience he had before that, and we are viewing it from outside the affects of the problem.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-26, 23:34   Link #282
wingnut2292
Go Get'em Tigers!

Send a message via AIM to wingnut2292
I don't completely fault Hiro for dumping Shouko. It's hard enough to keep a relationship going cross-country, let alone cross the International Date Line. While the letter could of been worded differently and should of been delivered... say, 6 months earlier, It would of been asking a lot for Hiro to say "I can't come to America because of obligations, so if this relationship is to continue, you would need to return to Japan. "

While I would of be more prompt, I would prob. do what Hiro did and end the relationship. (My dating potential prob. went down on this forum, didn't it?)
wingnut2292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-26, 23:47   Link #283
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
As the saying goes -- don't attribute to malice that which can be attributed to ignorance....
Exactly. Words to live by. I'm not ready to blame him totally yet. Maybe he made the wrong decision. Maybe, back in Japan, he felt that he had a responsibility that came before his own personal desires. Maybe he felt that because he had to give up his education, he wouldn't be a suitable match for Shouko. We just don't know...yet. When we see him start to shave and comb his hair, we'll know he's on the mend.

To me, it seems that Karada is magic. She seems to be able to heal them both. By the end, I expect them all to be back in their original bodies and living together like parents and child. We'll see.

And our first image of Shouko, with her head cocked slightly and a smile, looking at Karada praying, was not as a cold person. There was just that little passage of depression and shock when she ended up being cold to Karada. But her real self is both warm and mature, I think. Just very, very sad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srin Tuar
Man, something about this show makes the episodes seem way to short.
So true. Maybe it's because every second counts emotionally, but the pacing keeps you leaning forward to catch the next emotive image or word.

This show continues to be so good. Ep4 was another marvel. And every episode ends with me not knowing what's going to happen next. sugoi.

And I stand corrected about the city: the letter and firstian's recognizing the Hancock Tower prove it's supposed to be Boston (with a postal code resembling the west coast). I do remember a flat like that: one big room with a nice window, and the kitchen at the back. It was on the edge of Roxbury (as if I really know where that is).
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-27, 03:09   Link #284
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Ep 3.

Show continues to be my favourite of the season. The plot is picking up steam now, and they're doing a fantastic job of slowly adding more and more depth to the characters. I didn't think they made the atmosphere quite as absorbing as it was in the last episode, though. A lot of those moments, where they'd just allow things to come to a complete stop for several seconds at a time, are gone. I hope they come back, though, since they do a fantastic job of just generating so much atmosphere and making things absorbing and realistically paced.

This is a cut above everything else I've seen this season, though, IMO.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-27, 03:27   Link #285
Cal-Reflector

We were speaking about promoting quality, over-looked shows like this to the uninformed public. Here's my contribution, posted to my blog at Livejournal. With Synopsis and Screens. Feedback for revision and enhancement welcome.

http://cal-reflector.livejournal.com/51985.html#cutid1
Old 2006-10-27, 04:45   Link #286
JediNight
キズランダム

Ep4 Comments:
Spoiler:
Old 2006-10-27, 04:52   Link #287
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
...!!!
...!!!
this is great! ep 3 really brought this series to light!
the storyline is beautiful and the pace of this seems slow but at the same time feels fast...
it was emotional and took us through happiness to cringing heart pains...
so it was revealed that karada isnt a blood relative of hiro...and that he never thought of her as a little sister...then what was he thinking? >.<
the way he dumped shouko was too cruel imo...if he was going to be leaving her...then why did he kept her waiting by saying "i will be back soon?" if you are going to break up with anyone he should have gone straight to her and face to face...why didnt hiro ask shouko to come to japan? im sure if she loved him she would have agreed...

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-27, 05:35   Link #288
JediNight
キズランダム

You're missing the picture. Hiro DID go to Japan just for the funeral at first. But then after meeting Karada, he felt so sorry for her that he decided he would stay in Japan and raise her instead. BEFORE meeting her in person at that time, he never considered her a "little sister" before then.

We can make the statement that Hiro screwed up when he treated Shouko like he did -- but from his perspective, he didn't want Shouko to give up her education and life for his sake ... suddenly deciding to raise an orphaned child of the family and all. He probably should have at least consulted her on the matter though...
Old 2006-10-27, 07:20   Link #289
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector View Post
Feedback for revision and enhancement welcome.

http://cal-reflector.livejournal.com/51985.html#cutid1

Quote:
Asatte no Houkou, or "The Direction of Yesterday",

"Asatte" means "the day after tomorrow"
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-27, 07:25   Link #290
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
You're missing the picture. Hiro DID go to Japan just for the funeral at first. But then after meeting Karada, he felt so sorry for her that he decided he would stay in Japan and raise her instead. BEFORE meeting her in person at that time, he never considered her a "little sister" before then.

We can make the statement that Hiro screwed up when he treated Shouko like he did -- but from his perspective, he didn't want Shouko to give up her education and life for his sake ... suddenly deciding to raise an orphaned child of the family and all. He probably should have at least consulted her on the matter though...
oh right thx for clearing that little mess up
but the way he gave shouko the cold shoulder was too cruel...they have been quite intermate together i just cannot believe that hiro didnt even think twice about leaving her for good...he must have had some sort of feelings towards her no? and even if he did make a painstaking choice to leave her he doesnt seem very enthusiastic when they met each other again...

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-27, 12:45   Link #291
Vulcannis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
oh right thx for clearing that little mess up
but the way he gave shouko the cold shoulder was too cruel...they have been quite intermate together i just cannot believe that hiro didnt even think twice about leaving her for good...he must have had some sort of feelings towards her no? and even if he did make a painstaking choice to leave her he doesnt seem very enthusiastic when they met each other again...
I agree that what he did was cruel. Thing is, I can understand and don't blame him too much for deciding on his own that the relationship should end. Stupid thing to do, but it's fairly reasonable that he'd come to that conclusion. And the problems it would cause should have been easy enough to overcome.

The real problem was in how he communicated all this. He waits almost an entire year to break the news to Shouko, and he does it with snail mail? WTF? I know it's the ultimate anime romance cliche, but why the heck can't these characters, you know, communicate? Hiro and Shouko were obviously in a fairly close relationship, so why can't they pick up a phone? Use the internet? Mail a letter more often than once per annum? Cripes. Now they could have just not bothered showing any of this and they were still talking, but in that case Hiro would have had to been lying to Shouko in order for the letter to have had as much impact as it did. We don't know him very well yet, but I can sooner see him not communicating than outright lying. Pretty abysmal behaviour in any case, IMO.
Vulcannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-27, 12:45   Link #292
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srin Tuar View Post
"Asatte" means "the day after tomorrow"
DAMMIT! *Headwalls for STUPID MISTAKE* Thanks to those who pointed that out.

Ahem:
"When we see him start to shave and comb his hair, we'll know he's on the mend."

That would be a good indicator of his state of progress; and I'm coming around on my view of Hiro now; the best explanation for his mistaken actions towards Shouko probably is, as people said, ignorance and unilateral behavior. Indeed, he had to cut short his education and start working in order to sustain him and Karada's livelihood, which would make him feel inadequate towards continuing a relationship with Shouko. Still, even if we sympathize with the motivation behind him, we can agree that his execution could've used a lot more work and saved alot of heartache for everyone.
Old 2006-10-27, 13:21   Link #293
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
...the way he gave shouko the cold shoulder was too cruel...they have been quite intermate together i just cannot believe that hiro didnt even think twice about leaving her for good...he must have had some sort of feelings towards her no? and even if he did make a painstaking choice to leave her he doesnt seem very enthusiastic when they met each other again...
Maybe. But maybe he feels guilty. And maybe he feels that what he did is water under the bridge and can't be made right. I certainly don't feel he left Shouko without thinking twice. It would be a difficult decision, if their relationship was as close as it seemed. Maybe he has spent four years trying to get over her, for his own sake and for hers.

To have all that put in question by her reappearance would be a real shock. That may have caused his weird behavior toward her in the anime so far. He is clearly a tormented soul, in some way and for some reason. I expect we'll learn more about his state of mind. And I'm hoping (and expecting) Karada (and Shouko) can heal him and bring him back to life.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-27, 13:29   Link #294
DanielSong39

Even after hearing Hiro's side of the story, it's tough not to blame him for what happened.

He could've simply picked up the phone or e-mailed Shouko and explained the situation promptly. This isn't rocket science. Stringing her along for months without any kind of communication whatsoever was nothing short of cruel.

Shouko would've been upset regardless, but it's hard to imagine that she would be this antagonistic - if not downright hostile - if he had explained himself in timely fashion. She's not THAT selfish or cruel.
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-27, 13:40   Link #295
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
and even if he did make a painstaking choice to leave her he doesnt seem very enthusiastic when they met each other again...
That just show he is not a totally heartless bastard, few people would be enthusiastic or even comfortable to meet again someone whom they have hurt deeply.

Quote:
As the saying goes -- don't attribute to malice that which can be attributed to ignorance.

I don't really think Hiro ever meant to harm Shouko. In fact he probably didn't even realize he was making a unilateral decision. He thought he was HELPING her by letting her finish her dreams of completing school and not get her involved in his personal problems.
Seems to me that you are right and this was exactly the case with their breaking up. And he was probably afraid that if she dropped out of the university because of him and things didn't work out between them he would feel guilty because she would end up with nothing while in the other scenario she loses only him.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-27, 13:43   Link #296
Lucier
Lunar Translator

Quote:
Ep4 Comments:
Spoiler:
I wasn't really planning on posting around on my new series, as in the past it usually ended with me getting upset and/or frusterated... I guess I can't help it and wanna contribute. Anyway...

After four eps I think I've picked a winner. The music and atmosphere just haven't let me down. As the first anime I've decided to TL in two years, I was really hoping it turned out good.

I'm rather happy others enjoy it as well. ^_^

Ep4 TLed (for those interested in a subbed version) and eagerly awaiting ep5. ^_^

In responce to above spoiler:
Spoiler:
Lucier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-27, 14:42   Link #297
Vulcannis

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucier View Post
Ep4 TLed (for those interested in a subbed version) and eagerly awaiting ep5. ^_^
Woo! Thanks to everyone at Lunar for doing another great job with another great series!

Any chance you guys will release HD versions later? Assuming there are good raws available, of course.
Vulcannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-27, 16:33   Link #298
JediNight
キズランダム

Lucier:
Spoiler:
Old 2006-10-27, 17:29   Link #299
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
Even after hearing Hiro's side of the story, it's tough not to blame him for what happened.

He could've simply picked up the phone or e-mailed Shouko and explained the situation promptly. This isn't rocket science. Stringing her along for months without any kind of communication whatsoever was nothing short of cruel.

Shouko would've been upset regardless, but it's hard to imagine that she would be this antagonistic - if not downright hostile - if he had explained himself in timely fashion. She's not THAT selfish or cruel.
Good point i too agree that a sending Shouko a letter after being away so long was not the right approach. I sympthieze with Shouko but i also feel for Hiro as well. This situation is not easy but he could have picked up the phone and tried to explain the situation in a way that Shouko could have come to terms with it or at least so she would not have felt abandoned.. I cant see Shouko not understand the circumstances with Karada's parents dying shes not heartless. What i dont agree with is how Shouko says twice now "is she more important than a promise?" "Is she more important than a lover?" thats an unfair question and i would also like to know what this promise was (the promise of marriage maybe?). However i think we can all agree that Hiro did not want to disrupt Shouko's life she was obviously in the U.S. going to school maybe that was a factor in his decision. Im a firm believer that true love does disappear because of distance Shouko would not be as upset as she is now if she didnt still love him to a certain degree. My prediction now is that current events will allow Hiro and Shouko to start their relationship over just from a new prespective that also adds Karada to the equation in other words we are going to see thing as they could have been just reversed.

Off topic does anyone know what Hiros profession is? it looked he worked at a drug store pharmecy or something
Old 2006-10-27, 17:53   Link #300
Guppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
What i do agree with is how Shouko says "is she more important than a lover" thats an unfair question.
It is, but consider the context.

Hiro: ...because she's my precious little sister.
Shouko: More than your promise? More than your lover?

Note the order of her questions. Shouko was clearly venting her resentment here (as with her veiled putdown of Karada's ribbons), but I think what she was really getting at was "was your sister so important to you that you'd treat me like that?"
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, fantasy, j.c. staff, romance, seinen, slice of life, supernatural