AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2014-05-23, 11:36   Link #41
DarkDooM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
But Shelfa is stronger than Rain... Or atleast she will be in the future.
Where did you get that from?
Old 2014-05-23, 11:51   Link #42
Iron Maw
Banned

She was born with "gods how many year old" demon's power remember?

The same demon who was holding back against Rain (who himself admitted). Nevermind that untrained Shelfa easily got the drop on his 45 year old experienced self too. If Shelfa ever took up the sword and learned to master her magic she has very high potential of surpassing him. Knowing Rain he would certainly like that and welcome dueling her one day.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-23, 12:07   Link #43
DarkDooM

He's 25, not 45.
And don't forget that he's the "genius swordsman". He's barely 25 years old and already surpasses the likes of Sylvia who's almost 4000 years old.
He'll surely become stronger pretty fast. Faster than Shelfa can actually master her own newfound powers.

Well, but as Jirachier said; "someone that is annoying or useless or something along those lines"
So even if she won't be as useless/weak anymore in the future she's still annoying in my opinion. I never really liked her very much since the start.
Old 2014-05-23, 12:24   Link #44
Jirachier

Her getting stronger than Rain is one of my biggest fears, she just randomly gets lucky to have the powers of someone else and now the author can pull a move to make her his equal anytime he wants, how is that not annoying. And even if she was the most powerful entity in the universe it wouldn't change anything. She's extremely childish, she just cries, all the important matters are handled by Rain and the rest and the author makes it seem like the people are easily accepting of her position and that she will make a great leader, so far she's just a puppet. Not to mention the age difference between her and Rain if you add that up to her personality, can you even see them as a couple ?(Just wait for the timeskip where the author will give her bigger boobs and a more mature look so he can justify the couple)
Old 2014-05-23, 13:23   Link #45
DarkDooM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jirachier View Post
She's extremely childish, she just cries, all the important matters are handled by Rain and the rest and the author makes it seem like the people are easily accepting of her position and that she will make a great leader, so far she's just a puppet.
She's cute, so it's fine.

Quote:
Not to mention the age difference between her and Rain if you add that up to her personality, can you even see them as a couple ?(Just wait for the timeskip where the author will give her bigger boobs and a more mature look so he can justify the couple)
Okay, wait. If we're talking about age difference Sylvia would be out of the question. So let's not talk about that. It doesn't really matter much in a world where there are immortal (non-aging) entities like vampires, demons and dragonslayers.
Old 2014-05-23, 15:25   Link #46
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDooM View Post
He's 25, not 45.
Hmm, I swore that he was suppose to be much older, and that he only looked younger because of the dragon's blood. Well whatever thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
And don't forget that he's the "genius swordsman". He's barely 25 years old and already surpasses the likes of Sylvia who's almost 4000 years old.
He'll surely become stronger pretty fast. Faster than Shelfa can actually master her own newfound powers.

Well, but as Jirachier said; "someone that is annoying or useless or something along those lines"
So even if she won't be as useless/weak anymore in the future she's still annoying in my opinion. I never really liked her very much since the start.
Well, what I'm saying has nothing to do my opinion on her character, just what story has presented us with along with some foreshadowing. I don't she going to path of a warrior, being that she is the leader of a nation, it's just another possible that is opened to her because of her inborn talent.

Quote:
Her getting stronger than Rain is one of my biggest fears, she just randomly gets lucky to have the powers of someone else and now the author can pull a move to make her his equal anytime he wants, how is that not annoying.
So your complaint is because she was born with external power she's annoying? Then you better starting hating Rain since he has one too and without he would never be able to stand up someone like Reyguld or the previous Shelfa. Besides this power wasn't she asked for anyway, but was granted when she was just developing in her mother's womb. It's as much as birthright as anything else because she is Shelfa as a half-human.

Quote:
And even if she was the most powerful entity in the universe it wouldn't change anything. She's extremely childish, she just cries, all the important matters are handled by Rain and the rest and the author makes it seem like the people are easily accepting of her position and that she will make a great leader, so far she's just a puppet.
Wow, I'm really surprised you missed what the author is obviously doing here. First off she is a teenaged princess who has been isolated from much of her kingdom due to her real nature as a half demon. So of course she starts off fairly immature, inexperienced and not very worldly. Sorry if not everyone is born into a tragic past which leads them grow to be grizzled mercenaries.

Which brings me to my second point: you're comparing her to freaking adults whose entire job is to guide her in place of her long dead parents in these matters to begin with. Until she grows into her role by experience. So calling her puppet makes no sense, especially given the way Rain and others have treated her. Even if that were the case who's pulling her strings then, herself?

Thirdly, you basically ignored all initiatives she taken to better herself as ruler, asking Rain for training, moving with army or this whole entire arc which was all about shaping her into a capable leader by Folnier's influence and her own deed in the last battle which ultimately avoided an all out war with Shandris. Not to mention she has accepted her role as Queen is doing her best instead acting like some spoiled noble.

I'm not saying you should like her, but the reasons for your dislike seem to be misplaced and they take absolutely no objective look at her situation when you would do for say, Rain. You're also denying her any sort of growth because of personal bias. It's not really fair at all.

Quote:
Not to mention the age difference between her and Rain if you add that up to her personality, can you even see them as a couple ?(Just wait for the timeskip where the author will give her bigger boobs and a more mature look so he can justify the couple)
Going by this logic, SylviaxRain can't happen either.

Besides isn't Shelfa like 16 or 17? If that's so Rain is only a few years older then. Even if that isn't the case they won't together right away anyway.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2014-05-23 at 15:55.
Old 2014-05-23, 16:44   Link #47
Jirachier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDoom
She's cute, so it's fine.
Yeah, I truly hate female characters who get away with everything they do just because they're cute. It's okay in stories specifically made for that, but not if you have an actual plot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDoom
Okay, wait. If we're talking about age difference Sylvia would be out of the question. So let's not talk about that. It doesn't really matter much in a world where there are immortal (non-aging) entities like vampires, demons and dragonslayers.
Well that's true but like, it's just one of the many things that could be a problem, if everything else was okay sure. Teenage Rain was a badass and very reliable guy, so him with Sylvia made sense not to mention that she herself looked like one. In the case of RainxShelfa, shelfa doesn't have the body nor the mentality to stand alongside Rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw
So your complaint is because she was born with external power she's annoying? Then you better starting hating Rain since he has one too and without he would never be able to stand up someone like Reyguld or the previous Shelfa. Besides this power wasn't she asked for anyway, but was granted when she was just developing in her mother's womb. It's as much as birthright as anything else because she is Shelfa as a half-human.
Actually Rain wasn't just handed the dragons abilities, he had to fight him and emerge victorious in order to get his heart or whatever. Shelfa just got lucky that the demon girl chose her as a host and pouf she gets broken powers, not to mention the years of training and such Rain had to go through, I bet all she has to do is train for one year and there you have it, Shelfa becomes broken. And if the demon wasn't merging with her she would never become anywhear near Rain's strength.

Quote:
Wow, I'm really surprised you missed what the author is obviously doing here. First off she is a teenaged princess who has been isolated from much of her kingdom due to her real nature as a half demon. So of course she starts off fairly immature, inexperienced and not very worldly. Sorry if not everyone is born into a tragic past which leads them grow to be grizzled mercenaries.

Which brings me to my second point: you're comparing her to freaking adults whose entire job is to guide her in place of her long dead parents in these matters to begin with. Until she grows into her role by experience. So calling her puppet makes no sense, especially given the way Rain and others have treated her. Even if that were the case who's pulling her strings then, herself?
That's the thing, you're seeing her as a normal teenager, teenagers who were heirs to their kingdom or even when they weren't had to learn how to act as adult early on in their life, and by the time they were Shelfa's age they may not be as good as the most experienced adults but still. Shelfa is actually worse than most teenagers, she cries for small things and is too clingy to Rain.
If Rain wasn't such a good guy she would've probably been killed off or something, she is a puppet, none of the accomplishments are her own, so far she exists as the cute little princess who makes everyone wants to follow her which in reality makes no sense because in reality people won't trust such a little girl to rule over them without her showing what she can do HERSELF.

Quote:
I'm not saying you should like her, but the reasons for your dislike seem to be misplaced and they take absolutely no objective look at her situation when you would do for say, Rain. You're also denying her any sort of growth because of personal bias. It's not really fair at all.
Yeah she might change and she probably will but here is the thing, if a character in a series annoys you a lot from the beginning and only stops being so in the middle it's not that easy to just accept them later on, readers are humans we can't just be like okay now she changed so let's forget how much of an annoyance she was in the past, and I'm pretty sure how much she clings to Rain will remain and that is one part that I truly hate. I wish we had more females characters like Clare from Claymore or Yotanwa from kingdom.
Old 2014-05-23, 21:35   Link #48
cyberbeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Hmm, I swore that he was suppose to be much older, and that he only looked younger because of the dragon's blood.
Both the manga and novel confirm him as 25 y/o rather early on, the same age as Ralphus. The looking younger is supposed to be 18-20 y/o or something along those lines. You have to remember that Shelfa was a little girl a few years old, when Rain began his journey during his young-mid teens. This makes Rain ~10 years older than Shelfa in the story.
Old 2014-05-24, 13:16   Link #49
GenesiD

Can someone tell me Rain's history? How tragic of a past has he lived through?
GenesiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-24, 13:41   Link #50
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, I truly hate female characters who get away with everything they do just because they're cute. It's okay in stories specifically made for that, but not if you have an actual plot.
Eh, this doesn't make much sense. Aside from fact every girl in this story is cute, this has nothing to do with Shelfa's character or backstory. It has not effected the seriousness of the plot whatsoever, hell a civil war just broke out over her not too long ago for chirstsakes.

Quote:
Well that's true but like, it's just one of the many things that could be a problem, if everything else was okay sure. Teenage Rain was a badass and very reliable guy, so him with Sylvia made sense not to mention that she herself looked like one. In the case of RainxShelfa, shelfa doesn't have the body nor the mentality to stand alongside Rain.
By that logic Rain isn't nearly mature enough to handle Sylvia in terms of personally (she is a 4000 years old immortal here) and she may still have the body of a pubescent girl due her not aging. It personally does not matter to me who Rain ends up with, but he definitely has stronger emotional connection to Shelfa (with backstory between them and all) than Sylvia that goes beyond fighting buddies. It especially less important because Rain is now a general of kingdom, not a wandering swordsman. Those days long behind him and Sylvia has her responsibilities as leader of the Country of Mist so realistically a relationship can't really work between them.

Quote:
Actually Rain wasn't just handed the dragons abilities, he had to fight him and emerge victorious in order to get his heart or whatever. Shelfa just got lucky that the demon girl chose her as a host and pouf she gets broken powers, not to mention the years of training and such Rain had to go through, I bet all she has to do is train for one year and there you have it, Shelfa becomes broken. And if the demon wasn't merging with her she would never become anywhear near Rain's strength.
If the demon hadn't merged with her, Shelfa's entire life would be different both physically and mentally. It's not something you can just separate and good luck has nothing to do with it either. If anything she suffered this power rather than getting any real benefits. Unlike Rain Shelfa cares little for combat nor is she competing with him. Further more whether Rain had to fight/train to get his dragon abilities or not is irrelevant, it is still an external power. It did not originate from him period. This hardly a bad thing though, because he still had train to master his skills. Just as Shelfa will have to work hard to make use of hers, if she wish to use them.

Quote:
That's the thing, you're seeing her as a normal teenager, teenagers who were heirs to their kingdom or even when they weren't had to learn how to act as adult early on in their life, and by the time they were Shelfa's age they may not be as good as the most experienced adults but still. Shelfa is actually worse than most teenagers, she cries for small things and is too clingy to Rain.
No not really. Mentality concerning Child Kings & Queens differs from one individual to next. There no standard of how child royal suppose to behave because how each kid comes into power and the way they are nurtured prior to that is different. Shelfa is very introverted in the beginning of story because she has spent most of her childhood away from most people and the affairs of state. It's something not her fault. Also you're exaggerating the whole crying thing and her clinging to rain is hardly an issue IMO. She in love with the damn guy and he happens to be the only one she close to on very personal level.

Quote:
If Rain wasn't such a good guy she would've probably been killed off or something, she is a puppet, none of the accomplishments are her own, so far she exists as the cute little princess who makes everyone wants to follow her which in reality makes no sense because in reality people won't trust such a little girl to rule over them without her showing what she can do HERSELF.
Um no, people follow her because 1) Shelfa is the legitimate heir to the throne, 2) she not a dick like most nobles and treats commoners fairly 3) is frank and honest about herself and towards her people 4) her down earth nature makes her charismatic which attracts others to her 5) everyone can see she is trying her best to become a good leader despite her age. Essentially people like her for her character, citizen and soldiers could careless if she could kill a hundred barbarians single-handedly or whatever. They just want a ruler who can understand their needs and empathize with them, something her father failed to do.

Quote:
Yeah she might change and she probably will but here is the thing, if a character in a series annoys you a lot from the beginning and only stops being so in the middle it's not that easy to just accept them later on, readers are humans we can't just be like okay now she changed so let's forget how much of an annoyance she was in the past, and I'm pretty sure how much she clings to Rain will remain and that is one part that I truly hate. I wish we had more females characters like Clare from Claymore or Yotanwa from kingdom.
As I said before you don't have to like her everyone has their preferences. But you should at least understand her. I can't say I share any of your grievances with Shelfa since she has yet to annoy me. She would have to become a spoiled brat for that to happen. Furthermore nobody starts out strong, it's only when they overcome their only personal trials and tribulations that do. That is why Shelfa is now trying to stand of on her two feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
Both the manga and novel confirm him as 25 y/o rather early on, the same age as Ralphus. The looking younger is supposed to be 18-20 y/o or something along those lines. You have to remember that Shelfa was a little girl a few years old, when Rain began his journey during his young-mid teens. This makes Rain ~10 years older than Shelfa in the story.
Ah, I see, so she's around 15. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenesiD View Post
Can someone tell me Rain's history? How tragic of a past has he lived through?
Shelfa's past is has been the closest we have gotten to that in the manga. The LN may have more though.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2014-05-24 at 14:26.
Old 2014-05-25, 20:59   Link #51
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

Even if Shelfa had the power, I doubt she has Rain's talent for swordsmanship.

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-25, 21:12   Link #52
bakato

Didn't that demon or whatnot leave Shelfa for good rendering her normal?
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-25, 21:16   Link #53
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
Didn't that demon or whatnot leave Shelfa for good rendering her normal?
No she finally combined entirely with Shelfa. So she can no longer travel around in spirit form as she was doing as Shelfa grew up.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-30, 14:50   Link #54
Zakoo

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand chapter 6 is out, crap for page 6 and 13

Spoiler for One does not simply open a spoil:
Zakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-30, 14:58   Link #55
Lyase

I hope rain doesnt become CSR in power scale
Lyase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-30, 23:16   Link #56
DoomCalibur
The Shrouded Lonebrave

Oh snapped!!! I thought vol 10 is the final vol because of its flashy title "Last Hope" but turned out I was wrong. Some comments on the Internet stated that the author planned to ended this in vol 11 which was predicted to be released in about half a year later.......
DoomCalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-01, 22:41   Link #57
Iron Maw
Banned

That was pretty nice side-story. So Rain was able to use a bit of magic even before he got the dragon magic, but mainly through the demon blade huh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post
Aaaaaaaaaaaaand chapter 6 is out, crap for page 6 and 13

Spoiler for One does not simply open a spoil:
Dude, I like this pairing too, but this chapter just convinced me further this extremely low chances of that ever happening. Despite fact she just kissed him not only has Rain forgotten about it, he clear hasn't thought about her in ages which shows how important that was to him.

To top it off, Sylvia has only been introduced in short story which didn't give her much of background. Sadly at this point she just one of one of many people he has probably helped out on his exploits. It will certainly be nice to see her again, but I'll be surprised if anything beyond a ship-tease ever occurs between the two. I'd temper your expectations honestly.
Old 2014-06-07, 14:58   Link #58
Shyxx

Will the translation on the normal manga of Rain be continued now that the sidestory is finished?
Shyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-07, 15:07   Link #59
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyxx View Post
Will the translation on the normal manga of Rain be continued now that the sidestory is finished?
I would assume so since that's what the scanlation group said they were going to do before they started on the sidestory.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-21, 00:39   Link #60
Ddraig

New chapter of Rain is out. I'm glad they decide to continue this.
Ddraig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, rain, romance, sword