Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-10-15, 23:06   Link #1
Kondrath
The real-life Harima

Guy likes girl, girl doesn't like guy back

Not sure why, but I feel like watching an anime, preferably in a school setting, about unrequited love. Basically, guy likes girl, girl likes him back, but only as a friend. Doesn't matter if it's a comedy or serious. I also don't care if it's old. '80s-present is all good. Doesn't matter if they get together eventually or if he stays sad forever. lol.

I don't like Mecha, though.

Obviously I've already seen School Rumble, haha. My favorite of all time!

I can't recall them all, but I'll try to list ones I've seen already.
  • School Rumble
  • That anime about the guy and girl living in the same house because her parents were killed in a fire or something. True Tears I think. Didn't like it.
  • That anime about the girl and guy who live in the apartment building / bath house. She's an athlete and the main character is an idiot. Don't remember the name, but it had an S. Sukuran...sazuka..sakura... something. Horrible show.
  • Maison Ikkoku. Saw 10+ episodes a while back... didn't seem especially great. But it wasn't awful.

Edit: Also, if there are any translated visual novels that meet the criteria, those could work too.

Last edited by Kondrath; 2011-10-15 at 23:27.
Old 2011-10-15, 23:33   Link #2
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Toradora! definitely fits this I'd say, it's romance/comedy school life series .
MAL
Old 2011-10-15, 23:36   Link #3
Kondrath
The real-life Harima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Toradora! definitely fits this I'd say, it's romance/comedy school life series .
Ah, thanks. I actually remember wanting to watch this a while back. Completely forgot about it!
Old 2011-10-16, 02:45   Link #4
Undertaker

H2 => the main couple are obviously in love but didn't end up together, though anime only up til halfway point so you'll need to read manga to get the complete story.

For unrequited love, do you want it to be the main theme or it's OK as long as it have powerful enough presence.

If its later, Kimi ni Todoke and Nana are both highly recommended as well. Even though Kimi ni Todoke is a romance anime, it portray the emotion of the losing party fairly well. As for Nana, it just have a very adult-oriented story line.
Old 2011-10-16, 07:41   Link #5
kitten320

Lol that was Suzuka that you tried to remember

Dennou Coil ha side characters with such story but they are not the main focus of the series.

Kaichou wa Maid-sama! has something like that though main heroine is mostly in denial

Kämpfer are very weird series which are on boundary with yuri... the main hero turns into a girl because of some reason. He likes a girl but she likes his female form so yeh... but other girls like his male form, one of them is actually pushing things forward. Not the best show but you can try, though main hero is way too obliviouse.

I do second Toradora

Vampire Knight maybe? The girl does like the guy a lot but most of her attention is focused on someone else.
Old 2011-10-16, 09:46   Link #6
Trudinh

OMG Kaichou wa Maid-sama! and special A is recrommended for you. it related to school, the guy love the girl but the girl dosnt notice it until the end where she starting to love him back.
Old 2011-10-16, 10:47   Link #7
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Toradora is a good choice, but if you are exactly looking for
guy sees her as his love
girl sees him as her friend

then it doesn't; basically they don't give a shit about each other at the beginning, then they only consider each other friends for the whole time, and only in the end they realize their feelings towards each other.

School days also has it, but dude, this anime is horrid; not for the animation or anything but from the middle it evolves in a so horrible way, and it got an awful end. Forget this title. Oh, and the tag "Splatter" isn't there by mistake.
Old 2011-10-16, 10:56   Link #8
AnimeFangirl

School Days doesn't have that past episode 1, after that it just gets all kinds of screwed up. I actually do recommend you watch it. It's like the roadkill or the train wreck of anime. Can't bear to look, can't bear to turn away.
Old 2011-10-16, 11:12   Link #9
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classified Info View Post
Toradora is a good choice, but if you are exactly looking for
guy sees her as his love
girl sees him as her friend

then it doesn't; basically they don't give a shit about each other at the beginning, then they only consider each other friends for the whole time, and only in the end they realize their feelings towards each other.
You should look outside the box:
Spoiler for slightly spoiler full, better avoid:
Old 2011-10-16, 11:18   Link #10
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Spoiler for spoiler about the end:
Old 2011-10-16, 11:28   Link #11
kitten320

Well opening post said he/she doesn't care about what happens to them later, the main point is that series must contain something like this in the begining
Old 2011-10-16, 12:08   Link #12
Kondrath
The real-life Harima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
If its later, Kimi ni Todoke and Nana are both highly recommended as well. Even though Kimi ni Todoke is a romance anime, it portray the emotion of the losing party fairly well. As for Nana, it just have a very adult-oriented story line.
Doesn't sound dead-on, but worth checking out. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Lol that was Suzuka that you tried to remember

Dennou Coil ha side characters with such story but they are not the main focus of the series.

Kaichou wa Maid-sama! has something like that though main heroine is mostly in denial

Kämpfer are very weird series which are on boundary with yuri... the main hero turns into a girl because of some reason. He likes a girl but she likes his female form so yeh... but other girls like his male form, one of them is actually pushing things forward. Not the best show but you can try, though main hero is way too obliviouse.

I do second Toradora

Vampire Knight maybe? The girl does like the guy a lot but most of her attention is focused on someone else.
Haha, yeah. Suzuka. So awful! Thanks for the suggestions. Lol Kampfer sounds really strange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl View Post
School Days doesn't have that past episode 1, after that it just gets all kinds of screwed up. I actually do recommend you watch it. It's like the roadkill or the train wreck of anime. Can't bear to look, can't bear to turn away.
Oh man... School Days. I watched that back in High School. My junior year I think. That show messed up my mind for like 2 weeks. So ....crazy.

And in regards to Toradora, I didn't read any of the spoilers but I started watching it last night. It's sorta funny so far, so I'll keep watching.
Old 2011-10-16, 12:52   Link #13
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

Just for your information, last episode is a must watch, so you gotta watch all the 26 episodes. Do not drop it until you have watched the last episode.
Old 2011-10-16, 13:19   Link #14
Kondrath
The real-life Harima

Quote:
Just for your information, last episode is a must watch, so you gotta watch all the 26 episodes. Do not drop it until you have watched the last episode.

lolol. Alright.
Old 2011-10-16, 13:53   Link #15
Classified Info
I miss Haruhi

At the beginning i was committing the mistake of dropping it, that's why i'm warning you. I was probably lucky that i didn't have anything else to watch, and so i sticked to it. You'll realize at the very end of the anime the reason of my post.

Have fun with it
Old 2011-10-16, 19:21   Link #16
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kondrath View Post
Not sure why, but I feel like watching an anime, preferably in a school setting, about unrequited love. Basically, guy likes girl, girl likes him back, but only as a friend. Doesn't matter if it's a comedy or serious. I also don't care if it's old. '80s-present is all good. Doesn't matter if they get together eventually or if he stays sad forever. lol.

I don't like Mecha, though.

Obviously I've already seen School Rumble, haha. My favorite of all time!

I can't recall them all, but I'll try to list ones I've seen already.
  • School Rumble
  • That anime about the guy and girl living in the same house because her parents were killed in a fire or something. True Tears I think. Didn't like it.
  • That anime about the girl and guy who live in the apartment building / bath house. She's an athlete and the main character is an idiot. Don't remember the name, but it had an S. Sukuran...sazuka..sakura... something. Horrible show.
  • Maison Ikkoku. Saw 10+ episodes a while back... didn't seem especially great. But it wasn't awful.

Edit: Also, if there are any translated visual novels that meet the criteria, those could work too.

Maison Ikkoku is one of the great romance anime. It does take quite awhile to get going though. You need to at least watch to the end of the first season to realize it's true potential.

Others look into:

Honey & Clover

Ano Hana

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-10-18, 01:26   Link #17
Kondrath
The real-life Harima

Quote:
At the beginning i was committing the mistake of dropping it, that's why i'm warning you. I was probably lucky that i didn't have anything else to watch, and so i sticked to it. You'll realize at the very end of the anime the reason of my post.

Have fun with it
I just finished it.

I should have dropped it at like episode 22. The last few episodes were junk. I wanted him to get Minori.........

what the heck. Oh well. It's just a fictional anime after all.

Overall I liked the show but hated the conclusion.
Old 2011-10-18, 01:54   Link #18
Rethice
Kingslayer

Send a message via AIM to Rethice Send a message via MSN to Rethice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kondrath View Post
I just finished it.

I should have dropped it at like episode 22. The last few episodes were junk. I wanted him to get Minori.........

what the heck. Oh well. It's just a fictional anime after all.

Overall I liked the show but hated the conclusion.
I was a Minorin shipper too. Hug?
Old 2011-10-18, 07:20   Link #19
kitten320

I never really liked Minori

Well you said it in your OP post that it doesn't matter if they will end up together or no. Toradora happened to be one of these exceptions where the guy doesn't get what he wants at first. That's why spoiler tags were needed

I could add Love Hina to my list though manga is better and I was rooting for different girl there, so I got smacked down too
Old 2011-10-18, 14:06   Link #20
Kondrath
The real-life Harima

Haha. Well... It ended up being a little too similar to real life experiences. I had a friend like Taiga in high school. Even down to the height difference. Really comfortable around each other, hung out a bunch, but never had feelings for her. We did the whole "we'll help each other get with who we like" thing, too. After about 2 years, I found out that she liked me the whole time... One day during class she poked me on the arm and said "Hmm."

me: ?

Her: I guess that confirms it. I've finally gotten over my liking...

me: Your liking? Wait........wha-..

So, she explained. She liked me the whole time but finally moved on, and ended up with "kitamura". They're still happily together even after graduating a few years ago. We're still friends, but not super close. Anyway...

I liked my "minori" (or as I prefer, Tenma chan lol) since the elementary days. 10+ years pass and I never succeeded......

So for once... I wish someone would just succeed in my place, even if it is fictitious. So to have Takasu end up with Taiga, it felt awkward for me since I was putting myself in his place while watching it. haha.

So yeah, while I did say "it doesn't matter what happens", I wasn't expecting it to be so relatable to my own old situations
Closed Thread