Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Attack on Titan

Notices

Old 2013-04-21, 09:37   Link #1161
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
Wow, after watching episode 3, I'm really liking this show. Glad that I kept this even after that first ultra-depressing episode 1. There are a lot of interesting characters besides the main trio. And I'm really curious to Mikasa's backstory and how she ended up at Alen's home. I LOLed really hard at how she totally misunderstood Alen's gaze.
It's Eren xD
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 09:37   Link #1162
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Just a guess, but I think the fact that the ropes are attached to the waist instead of an upper part of their body is meant so they can flip easily at will. The training is meant to make them learn how to control that.

In other words the equipment is meant to give an equal probability of a body to be upside or upside down if left to itself.
I think so too, but I think that, at rest, their center is supposed to be just a big below the ropes. (It's impossible to be stable otherwise.) But yes, by shifting their bodies, they should be able to raise their center and flip. But here is the thing: if Eren had good equipment but did something really wrong that caused him to flip, it should be plain to see. Since it wasn't, badly fitted equipment should have been the instructor's first thought.

Quote:
Supposedly the equipment was damaged in a way to disrupt this balance. I'm not engineer but I don't think that as something absolutely impossible.

For example if you were tied by your feet, would you be able to stand up right? There's no way you could. The center is not shifted that high in our case but it's probably high enough to cause a lot of problems.
The only thing I can think of is this: maybe the belt normally has several buckles, more or less high (so they can fit different-sized users), and the user can choose how high he wants to tie the ropes. But the top buckles in Eren's were missing, and he had no choice but to tie them too low. And in his inexperience, he didn't realize anything was amiss.

But that doesn't really fit with the instructor's talk of "rust", or of never having seen such a case.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 09:38   Link #1163
Ridwan

Images
give her the potato
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-04-21, 09:42   Link #1164
Accelolita_

Quote:
Wow, after watching episode 3, I'm really liking this show. Glad that I kept this even after that first ultra-depressing episode 1. There are a lot of interesting characters besides the main trio. And I'm really curious to Mikasa's backstory and how she ended up at Alen's home. I LOLed really hard at how she totally misunderstood Alen's gaze.
Sorry, but I'm wondering why you spell him "Alen"?
They call him "Eren" in japanese. So it could be, if at all, only "Elen/Ellen". If it was intended to call him "Alen/Allen" they'd say "Aren".
At least as far as I know
Accelolita_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 09:45   Link #1165
komaruze
Tanna Japonensis

Liked the episode. However as a german, it's still kind of awkward hearing all that gratuitous german everywhere: the names, the opening ... so this is how "engrish" sounds like to native english speakers

The only complaint I have is Mikasa's lipstick. Who on earth wears something like that during military training (if it isn't forbidden in the first place)? I bet she would be hot enough without it anyway. Whatever.

And, edit: The main characters are 12?! Wtf. They look like 18~20 to me (well, except Armin)...
komaruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 09:53   Link #1166
Accelolita_

Quote:
Originally Posted by komaruze View Post
Liked the episode. However as a german, it's still kind of awkward hearing all that gratuitous german everywhere: the names, the opening ... so this is how "engrish" sounds like to native english speakers

The only complaint I have is Mikasa's lipstick. Who on earth wears something like that during military training (if it isn't forbidden in the first place)? I bet she would be hot enough without it anyway. Whatever.

And, edit: The main characters are 12?! Wtf. They look like 18~20 to me (well, except Armin)...
I think it's cute how Japanese try so hard to pronounce English and German... and epicly fail at it

And yeah, they all look waaay too old in the anime lol
I doubt they change the look later for their 15/16 year old selves.
Also, I honestly don't think it's possible to make Misaka look even older as she does already anyways
Old 2013-04-21, 10:00   Link #1167
Panzerklein
In cash we trust!

Censore bread again, this time with "agehao" Sasha.
Old 2013-04-21, 10:12   Link #1168
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
It's Eren xD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelolita_ View Post
Sorry, but I'm wondering why you spell him "Alen"?
They call him "Eren" in japanese. So it could be, if at all, only "Elen/Ellen". If it was intended to call him "Alen/Allen" they'd say "Aren".
At least as far as I know
Because Elen/Ellen seems to be a female name to me
Probably that's the reason why the TL wants to keep it romanized rather than using Elen/Ellen (just a guess, or he's either new at TL or the nazi-TL type that likes to keep his names romanized; one of these 3 possibilities ). Does it matter how I choose to spell his name in English if we know who it's referring to? I agree Allen is アレン (Aren) and Alan is アラン (Aran), that's why I took out an 'l' to make it a little different. Anyway, it's an artistic choice, I can use Eren

Funny how people nitpicked me on this when subs spelled Shouko as Shoko in Valvrave and Chiichan as Chi-chan in Hataraku Maou, and no one complained in those shows.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 10:17   Link #1169
Accelolita_

Quote:
Because Elen/Ellen seems to be a female name to me
Probably that's the reason why the TL wants to keep it romanized rather than using Elen/Ellen (just a guess, or he's either new at TL or the nazi-TL type that likes to keep his names romanized; one of these 3 possibilities ). Does it matter how I choose to spell his name in English if we know who it's referring to?

Funny how people nitpicked me on this when subs spelled Shouko as Shoko in Valvrave and Chiichan as Chi-chan in Hataraku Maou, and no one complained in those shows.
Maybe because there's a difference between leaving out the same letter (or in Shouko's case the u that implies that the o is a long vocal) which (usually) indicates if a vocal is long or short or changing the letter/name overall

Edit: inbe4 "is that really such a problem"
There're people that tend to change one letter in my name as well and I'm pissed at that since that's not what my name is
Old 2013-04-21, 10:19   Link #1170
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelolita_ View Post
Maybe because there's a difference between leaving out the same letter (or in Shouko's case the u that implies that the o is a long vocal) which (usually) indicates if a vocal is long or short or changing the letter/name overall
In Valvrave, FYI, it is pronounced as 'Shouko' with the long vowel The same goes for Chiichan... It may not be apparent to the untrained ear, especially for Chiichan's case. While I'm not trying to say my listening skills are perfect, I'm pretty sure about those names.

Edit: (But it's not your name, and it's a TL choice of a fictional character, note that I've also edited my above post as well)
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 10:26   Link #1171
Accelolita_

Quote:
In Valvrave, FYI, it is pronounced as 'Shouko' with the long vowel The same goes for Chiichan... It may not be apparent to the untrained ear, especially for Chiichan's case. (But it's not your name, note that I've also edited my above post as well)
I know that
But most people either know that or don't really care (sadly, since I like it more to show it in text if a vowel is long or short like "Shouko" and "Chiichan" )

Then again, it's your choice how you call him. If you read my old post again I only asked you WHY you spell him the way you did, I never said it's a problem. I just pointed out that it's not SUPPOSED to be that way

Also: Did I seriously write in my other post "vocal" instead of vowel? My English gets worse each day, I swear
Old 2013-04-21, 10:34   Link #1172
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
I realy hope Sasha doesn't get chewed by some Titan...
She's more likely to eat the titans instead. She's humanity's most deadly weapon when she's hungry.
Old 2013-04-21, 10:39   Link #1173
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Transliterating the diphthong "おう" as "o" or "ou" are both acceptable methods.
Opinions on the matter vary, but it is a fact that both methods are widely used.

For example the capital of Japan is always romanized as Tokyo when in hiragana you'd write it as とうきょう

Moreover there are cases where the "ou" system can be confusing, in cases such as the family name "Inoue" 井上 which must be read as "i" "no" "ue"

The best method would be to use the symbol "ō", but it has the disadvantage of not being included in keyboards.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 10:40   Link #1174
Metalsnakezero
Trio Finale!

OMG, it a Love Live attack!
Images
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic176117_1.gif
Metalsnakezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 10:40   Link #1175
Tenzen12

Spoiler for super serious:
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 10:44   Link #1176
Accelolita_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
The best method would be to use the symbol "ō", but it has the disadvantage of not being included in keyboards.
I always thought it's okay to use ô instead?
(Though I usually write "ou" since I think it looks nicer)
Old 2013-04-21, 10:44   Link #1177
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalsnakezero View Post
OMG, it a Love Live attack!
Images
holy mother I can't stop laughing lol.

hope no one posted this yet.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 10:47   Link #1178
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
holy mother I can't stop laughing lol.

hope no one posted this yet.
Yes, it's been posted a couple of times already.
Still hilarious though xD
Old 2013-04-21, 10:54   Link #1179
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
Yes, it's been posted a couple of times already.
Still hilarious though xD
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 11:00   Link #1180
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
You still have a better reason to lose faith in humanity that Jean had

Tags
action, dystopian, fantasy, post-apocalyptic, shounen, terror, tragedy, violence