AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2006-03-23, 17:15   Link #61
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Not really, but sort of. Many sites that provide free hosting for AnimeSuki insist on providing these ads to defray the cost of this hosting. It is free for us, so we don't have to pay any attention to those costs. (There are some costs that GHDpro pays for out of his own pocket, but these mirrors are provided by others.) If you use a server that doesn't have ads, we really don't notice any difference except for less load on the main server.

We never see any of the hosting bills or a penny of the advertising money, but the existence of those ads does let us stay in existence.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-23, 20:50   Link #62
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Not really, but sort of. Many sites that provide free hosting for AnimeSuki insist on providing these ads to defray the cost of this hosting. It is free for us, so we don't have to pay any attention to those costs. (There are some costs that GHDpro pays for out of his own pocket, but these mirrors are provided by others.) If you use a server that doesn't have ads, we really don't notice any difference except for less load on the main server.

We never see any of the hosting bills or a penny of the advertising money, but the existence of those ads does let us stay in existence.

True, but the existance of those intrusive popup adds deters one from caring to ocme back to the site, specially if they are the type that visits dozens of times a day, in quick 2 or 3 second bursts just to scan for new information

I have nothing against the ads on topbars and sidebars, whatever it takes to keep the site up, its the giant popover ones that take up the entire screen that just piss me off.
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-25, 22:12   Link #63
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Yep, they piss me off as well. And here we have a new one:

Note how it obscures the dropdown link menus, as is the wont of most of these 'screw you I'm displaying on top' type of ads.

edit: forgot to mention, I'm using Opera and that ad can't be closed, the 'x' doesn't do anything at all.
Radiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-26, 13:50   Link #64
Shiryuu
Magical Boy

I'm guessing this is the place where I'm supposed to post this:

Forum Ad with sound:
Shiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-08, 10:39   Link #65
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/...eenShot046.jpg

Giant one, and I didn't see any X to close it.

had to refresh 3 times before it went away.
Old 2006-04-08, 11:46   Link #66
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komataguri
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/...eenShot046.jpg

Giant one, and I didn't see any X to close it.

had to refresh 3 times before it went away.
I use this mirror. No ads whatsoever.
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-01, 18:00   Link #67
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Yay, another intrusive ad. It scrolls inside it's own window, and has no close button (in Opera that is).

http://www.narcess.net/junk/grr.jpg
Old 2006-05-02, 06:25   Link #68
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syaoran
Hehe ^^
I don't see them. I installed the Adblock & Adblock FiltersetG.Updater extensions in Firefox. It makes a lot of websites look nice & clean.
Bad site to pick as an example. Anyway, for people with opera, you can do the same thing by setting up a filter.ini file. Just do a google search and you'll turn up a link telling you how to do it. Unless people want to see ads for some reason...
Old 2006-05-02, 06:36   Link #69
Syaoran
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
Bad site to pick as an example. Anyway, for people with opera, you can do the same thing by setting up a filter.ini file. Just do a google search and you'll turn up a link telling you how to do it. Unless people want to see ads for some reason...
Bad site yes, especially when you saw the forum & comments posted *shivers* ("First post", "Second post", "I'm first", "Naruto r0x" etc. ) but I kind of liked the layout. I just go there when Wikipedia is too slow for Japanese jutsu names ^^
It's just that it shows 2 nice examples of an ad that gets removed, making it look really nice.

PS: the Naruto section here is starting to look like theirs >_>
Too much 12yo kids who think they're cool because they make 10 threads for 10 different "Which Naruto character are you quiz" they found.
Syaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-02, 11:12   Link #70
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Kamui - thanks, I normally filter stuff anyway, but I've only just reinstalled windows so I don't have everything tweaked to how I like it yet. Since I saw the ad I thought i'd post it here. Thanks anyway
Old 2006-06-11, 19:06   Link #71
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Sorry for double post but edit won't highlight the thread to new content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiosity
Yay, another intrusive ad. It scrolls inside it's own window, and has no close button (in Opera that is).

http://www.narcess.net/junk/grr.jpg

i've just had this very annoying ad again, seems to be back in the rotation (or never removed? I haven't checked the site in a long time thanks to the RSS feed ). Same as before, it focuses on the ad completely, the dropdown menus open behind the ad, and it can't be closed. Still using Opera of course
Old 2006-06-11, 19:20   Link #72
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

IE7 seems to be much better at blocking the ads than IE6, I havn't seen a popup yet on the front page.
Old 2006-06-12, 11:17   Link #73
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

I don't get popups at all, but I use opera so that's to be expected. It's these damn ads that bypass popup protection that get on my nerves.
Old 2006-06-20, 23:49   Link #74
Ziv

just now I got this ad.
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/2...isement8se.jpg
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-21, 00:03   Link #75
Calca
Expressionless

I keep getting the ebay one.

...I don't know how to save a screenshot...
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-21, 00:09   Link #76
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetor
I keep getting the ebay one.

...I don't know how to save a screenshot...
If you have a Windows system, just hit the Print Screen (sometimes called "PrtScn") button:

Quote:

To capture the whole screen, just hit the Print Screen (it might say Prt Sc ) button on your keyboard.

Then, open your imaging software (and a blank page, if you need to - it will depend on your software) and select your "Paste" command (usually Ctrl+V ).

This should paste an image of your computer screen into the document you're working on. You can also paste the image into a word processing program like MS Word or WordPerfect if you don't have imaging software. (With Word 2000 and newer, you might need to have the program open before your hit Prt Sc for the screenshot to go to the clipboard).

If you would like to capture only the current window, hold down the ALT button while you press the Print Screen button.

Soon you'll be a screenshot master.

http://www.worldstart.com/tips/tips.php/408
Also..
Quote:
Mac OS X and Grab

Macintosh computers running OS X include a screen capture utility called Grab that is quite a bit more versatile that Print Screen. Grab is located in the Utilities folder inside your Applications folder. Use the menus to capture the whole screen or just a small section of it. You can even set a 10-second delay so you have time to arrange things on the screen perfectly!

You can also use keyboard shortcuts to snag a screenshot with Grab. At anytime, press Command-Shift-3 to capture the entire screen or Command-Shift-4 to drag with the mouse and select a smaller capture area. Your screenshots will be saved as TIFF files on your desktop. To save your screenshots to the Clipboard for pasting instead, hold down the Ctrl key as well (e.g. Command-Shift-Ctrl-3).

http://uis.georgetown.edu/students/t.../20040116.html
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-25, 18:35   Link #77
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

This one again:

http://www.narcess.net/junk/ad_grrr.jpg

Won't close as per usual using Opera 8.5.
Old 2006-06-26, 01:28   Link #78
WolfCoder
wolfen programmer

Send a message via AIM to WolfCoder Send a message via MSN to WolfCoder Send a message via Yahoo to WolfCoder
Arrow

Hm... I've never gotten an ad like any of you are describing.

In fact, my page is devoid of every add except this very tiny ad banner below the title.

I think all of you went somewhere that tagged you (cookie mabye), and spyware is hounding you because i'm getting no pop-up ads caught by the blocker or anything.

Or something that got you all before I signed up.
WolfCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-26, 15:22   Link #79
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

I use Opera, which is all but immune to spyware. The very few minor bits I get (registry entry here and there if I'm really unlucky) are killed by running Spybot and Ad-aware, not to mention regular virus scans. So no, I don't really think i've got a problem with spyware.

I'd understand your reasoning if I still used that insecure POS Internet Explorer.
Old 2006-06-29, 14:35   Link #80
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

I sometimes wonder why AS continues to use these ad providers 'services' when their ads are so damn intrusive.

Yet another one, different to the others I have so far seen.

http://www.narcess.net/junk/anotherad.jpg