AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-12-02, 08:15   Link #81
BigJimmy
Burn ya git!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Who's Haruka, again?
Haruka-neesama is amazing!

(she's one of the Minami-ke sisters)
Old 2008-12-02, 12:21   Link #82
Baka Ronin

Send a message via ICQ to Baka Ronin Send a message via AIM to Baka Ronin Send a message via MSN to Baka Ronin Send a message via Yahoo to Baka Ronin
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
If he chooses anyone other than Haruka that would make him a pedo.
1: Taiga is the same age he is.
2: if you think outward appearance is that big of a factor in love, you need to take some personal time for inner reflection, for that is a very shallow interpretation.

Last edited by Baka Ronin; 2008-12-02 at 12:21. Reason: clarification
Old 2008-12-02, 13:04   Link #83
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Pay closer attention. Typhonsentra was making a jest at Dark Mage's misspelling of Minorin as Minami (a series in which at least one character, Chiaka, is "underage" though she's somewhat old to apply the "pedo" label.). Haruka is from that series -- and I'm not really sure why its even being referred to at all here.

He wasn't referring to Toradora characters at all. Maybe I should ask that everyone posting make better use of nouns and be more careful in typing their posts
Old 2008-12-02, 14:24   Link #84
Baka Ronin

Send a message via ICQ to Baka Ronin Send a message via AIM to Baka Ronin Send a message via MSN to Baka Ronin Send a message via Yahoo to Baka Ronin
And keep it on topic? This thread is not about Minami-ke
Old 2008-12-02, 15:42   Link #85
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Agreed. I've even read through the thread and I'm still not sure how it derailed so badly

In episode 9 of Toradora, we see Ryuuji moving forward on all fronts: Taiga, Minorin, Ami ... yet not in expected ways. Other than Ami being too playful and keeping him off-balance (that was hilarious him crying to Taiga while bizarre as well). Interesting how his bit of a probe into Minorin's feelings got him a "no" and "yes" at the same time and he was quite eloquent in responding in the same metaphors.

Yet how... thick of him not to raise antennae on Taiga's rather plain-spoken remarks during the footrub sequence.

I may dub Ryuuji the "Charlie Brown" of the season... blockhead.
Old 2008-12-02, 15:46   Link #86
Baka Ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Agreed. I've even read through the thread and I'm still not sure how it derailed so badly

In episode 9 of Toradora, we see Ryuuji moving forward on all fronts: Taiga, Minorin, Ami ... yet not in expected ways. Other than Ami being too playful and keeping him off-balance (that was hilarious him crying to Taiga while bizarre as well). Interesting how his bit of a probe into Minorin's feelings got him a "no" and "yes" at the same time and he was quite eloquent in responding in the same metaphors.

Yet how... thick of him not to raise antennae on Taiga's rather plain-spoken remarks during the footrub sequence.

I may dub Ryuuji the "Charlie Brown" of the season... blockhead.
He was acting like a dog communicating with its Master. Think Lassie. "What's that girl? little Jimmy fell in the well?!" This was a joke about Taiga calling him her dog. But you are correct, it was very funny.

He did indeed show some true insight in responding to Minori's ghost metaphor and I think he made his feelings clear. I have to give him some Man points for that one.

Yes I think he should have seen Taiga's remarks for the near confession that they were, but he did not. It may be subconscious denial. After all, she couldn't possibly have feelings for him! (from his point of view)

Last edited by Baka Ronin; 2008-12-02 at 15:48. Reason: elaborating
Old 2008-12-02, 22:23   Link #87
typhonsentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Pay closer attention. Typhonsentra was making a jest at Dark Mage's misspelling of Minorin as Minami (a series in which at least one character, Chiaka, is "underage" though she's somewhat old to apply the "pedo" label.). Haruka is from that series -- and I'm not really sure why its even being referred to at all here.

He wasn't referring to Toradora characters at all. Maybe I should ask that everyone posting make better use of nouns and be more careful in typing their posts
Yeah, this. I do wanna say though that Chiaki is an elementary school student (So 10 to 11) in the show so... if that isn't pedo age to you I'd be afraid to have you babysit for me.
Old 2008-12-02, 22:44   Link #88
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Spoiler for Minami response to typhonsentra:

As for Ryuuji in ep 9:
The footrub sequence isn't "automatically" sexual .... but it is hard to avoid the comfortable physical intimacy implied.

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-12-02 at 22:51. Reason: Moved Kitamura remarks to his thread
Old 2008-12-03, 08:36   Link #89
typhonsentra

Spoiler:

And yeah, the footrub wasn't sexual, it was just to show they're at a point where they're comfortable enough to have casual physical contact.
Old 2008-12-03, 11:54   Link #90
Baka Ronin

Stop deviating from the topic. I am sure I am not the only one who is starting to get annoyed.

For the actual on-topic stuff, I agree because that is exactly what I said here: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...=1#post2085591

Last edited by Baka Ronin; 2008-12-03 at 11:55. Reason: elaborating
Old 2008-12-03, 12:11   Link #91
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

You seem to get annoyed too easily, Baka Ronin.

As for the on topic stuff, I did kinda miss the bit in the novel...
Spoiler for Toradora! Novel volume 4 spoiler - related to Taiga's near confession on episode 9:

Here, in the anime, it just seemed like lack of courage, on her part... anyway, different medias, different interpretations, right?

Old 2008-12-04, 12:26   Link #92
Baka Ronin

many people here are having an entertaining discussion about Ryuuji, and there are others whom, for some illogical reason, feel the need to digress into something completely unrelated. If I were a forum moderator I would be editing the unrelated info from the posts. one or two references here and there are generally harmless but when it forces the thread in an entirely different direction, its getting out of hand and needs to stop. I am sure there are appropriate threads for Minami-ke where that discussion could be continued. Please keep this one on topic.

I think that there is a lot of room for character development with Ryuuji, but there are many aspects of his personality that should stay the way they are because they define who he is. I think he needs to get better at understanding what people really mean when they speak to him, learn to read between the lines. Anyone care to elaborate on this?

Last edited by Baka Ronin; 2008-12-04 at 12:26. Reason: typoes
Old 2008-12-04, 12:49   Link #93
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Ryuji has a paternal type of personality, he always has to help those who needs it. Thats how he's managed to suck Ami in. But she knows this, and is rather intelligent about it. It seems like she's playing a game of patience and see if Ryuji will fall for her and vice versa, but wants to instigate it as well... Its also how he sucking in Taiga as well, but she's being tsundere about it, or rather stubborn and naive. Not sure about Minori though... she's just crazy. I think she knows that Ryuji "likes" her, but wants to see if she could fall in love. In reference to her "ghost" analogy thingy.
Old 2008-12-04, 12:59   Link #94
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baka Ronin View Post
I think he needs to get better at understanding what people really mean when they speak to him, learn to read between the lines. Anyone care to elaborate on this?
Problem is that up to this point he never had the opportunity to do so. For one, someone like his age (16) is naturally inexperienced in such mature techniques as reading between the lines (heck even adults can't do it sometimes), two his scary appearance also means that thus far most of the interaction he had with others are far from normal conversations because the other party just wants to get away from him as soon as possible, and his only other friend Kitamura isn't the type that could give him this sort of experience either, so the fact that he is still a little naive not only is consistent with his character background, but I also believe it is a personality that he build up due to people misunderstanding him because of his appearance, coupled with his gentle nature thus he likes to think better of other people, rather than being cynical or cautious that others have deeper plans. It is also this personality that makes him a bit more of a loveable character, as Ami had pointed out as to why she doesn't hate him.

I'd like to note that the fact that he is still so trusting of other's words on face value is going to play a big part in the next story arc in regards to the school festival, and that in the end he did come out learning a lot from his encounter.
Old 2008-12-04, 16:06   Link #95
Baka Ronin

Well, I hope so too. I've only read a bit of the manga, but I've seen up to episode 9 of the anime (not touched the novel, want to wait until I can buy an actual book that is in english). Truthfully it doesn't matter to me who he ends up with, I just want it to be believeable and happen over the course of an entertaining and heartwarming story (funny as hell is excellent too).
Old 2008-12-04, 17:17   Link #96
typhonsentra

There's no guarantee it'll ever be released in English. ZnT was licensed over a year ago and it's street date is still in TBD hell. I usually buy the releases for things I really like even if I read it before it's American release as a sign of support. I know not everyone can do that though.
Old 2008-12-04, 17:21   Link #97
Baka Ronin

I can't deal with ebooks, makes my eyes hurt.
Old 2008-12-04, 17:56   Link #98
typhonsentra

Well you could always print them out.
Old 2008-12-04, 18:14   Link #99
Baka Ronin

I don't have a printer. Who uses paper anymore? :P I like the feel of holding a book in my hand and getting rally into it, so much so that I lose track of time and the world around me. That's what a good book does. Ryuuji would understand :P
Old 2008-12-04, 21:13   Link #100
BigJimmy
Burn ya git!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baka Ronin View Post
I don't have a printer. Who uses paper anymore? :P
To quote my workmate when he saw the pile of paperwork waiting for him, "Paperless society my arse".
Closed Thread

Tags
characters