AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-02-25, 18:30   Link #21
Itsygo-kun
ShanaCom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg4619 View Post
I think it depends on the production companies in charge. GENCO might not care too much about quality since they push out sequels on a yearly basis. The circumstances aren't right (different creative staff and/or studio) and they're offering a production team little time, but for the sponsors, the show must go on. In that sense, it's hard to blame the animators when so many limitations are placed on them.

Nodame Cantabile, Honey & Clover, Genshiken/Kujibiki Unbalance, Zero no Tsukaima, and Ikkitousen were all produced like this. Unsurprisingly, the results vary, depending on the financing and on who handles a project.

However, Hayate is a Shogakukan initiative, so the circumstances might just be better (SynergySP would likely have trouble too if Shogakukan had mandated a sequel in 2008 and with a new staff). They announced this project nearly a year ago, so the team has hopefully received adequate time to prepare.
That's right, but let;s consider the fact that it is gonna continue for an year, so the animation quality might be crap sometimes, but still J.C.Staff are one of the best (at least for me), so I've got good hopes for the show ^^
Old 2009-02-26, 01:14   Link #22
neothe0ne

The ED theme "Steppin'" by Hinagiku is pretty cool.
Old 2009-03-05, 17:48   Link #23
Mentar
Banned

Well, having seen it now, I can report that the animation quality was fine. It was a _very_ slight deviation from the Synergy standard in a few aspects, but overall, it rung very very true.

Content-wise, not much to say. As episode 0 indicates, this should be considered a prequel to re-introduce the viewer with the main characters once more, with most of them in a bigger state of undress than we should expect ANY of them throughout the TV airings

Somehow it reminded me of alot of things I liked about the S1 anime, and it gave me a couple of nice chuckles. At the same time, it also reminded me of something I detested from S1, and that's the vexing way to ignore the "serious" elements of the manga in exchange for slightly dumbed-down cutesy replacement elements.

Example: In the manga, the core storyline about the Hinagiku/Ayumu relationship spans over ~30 chapters of continuous development. In anime episode 52, we got a cruel teaser when for only a few seconds a key scene (Hinagiku confessing on the ferris wheel) is indicated as a flashback (as a reminder: Episode 52 was a timejump-episode from the future), so it would be natural to conclude that EVENTUALLY this excellent storyline would be kicked off. However, if they plan to do so, then alot of developments which have already happened "don't fit" anymore. Like for example Hina realizing that she likes Hayate. Like for example Hina and Ayumu getting to know each other. All this stuff "doesn't fit" already, and I'm worried if they will just "drop" it like they did in S1, in exchange for more unsubstantial fluff.

So, it renewed my enjoyment of the show, and at the same time, my trepidation about the show's inexplicable reluctance to touch down on the GOOD parts of the original source.

7.5/10 from me.
Old 2009-03-07, 01:44   Link #24
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsygo-kun View Post
That's right, but let;s consider the fact that it is gonna continue for an year, [...]
Off-topic, but note that this isn't quite "fact" yet. It hasn't been stated anywhere that I've seen. If it were airing in the same morning slot, I think it'd be certain, but there aren't very many late-night shows that last more than 2-cour at a time.

Anyway, I should be receiving the Blu-Ray of the OVA in the mail next week, so I'm looking forward to watching it!
Old 2009-03-08, 02:01   Link #25
primuler
Love For 3D

I've already watched it, and I'll try to be spoiler-free

1. Somehow, the characters seem odd. Is the OVA made by the new animation company, J.C.STAFF? If it is, I miss the SynergySP already. Some people comment that the drawings got better, but not my style.

2. Lovely swimsuits. Gotta love Izumi and the baka trio.

3. I've noticed Hayate on the manga magazine Nagi was reading.
Old 2009-03-09, 05:59   Link #26
delacroix01
Whatever

Just as I predicted. JC Staff has turned Hayate into a very, very bad anime. Almost every characters looks much uglier than before <_< Nagi, Izumi, Isumi, Saki and Ayumu lost their old cuteness, and Hayate looked really pathetic. Not only that, the OVA was terribly boring. If JC Staff is going to do the second too, then I'd rather not to watch it. I miss Synergy
Old 2009-03-09, 10:50   Link #27
justsomeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by delacroix01 View Post
Just as I predicted. JC Staff has turned Hayate into a very, very bad anime. Almost every characters looks much uglier than before <_< Nagi, Izumi, Isumi, Saki and Ayumu lost their old cuteness, and Hayate looked really pathetic. Not only that, the OVA was terribly boring. If JC Staff is going to do the second too, then I'd rather not to watch it. I miss Synergy
Oh come on, it's not that bad. Comparing screenshots from the OVA and the first season, JC Staff simply has much brighter color, slightly less details, slightly different faces, and a somewhat skinnier Hayate. While I agree that they're uglier, it's not disastrously so. I'm more concerned about how they would handle the parodies and absurd moments.
Old 2009-03-10, 02:41   Link #28
Ottocycle

All I have to say to the above is that, the OVA is not the second season, so it's probably more right to judge it after like the third episode or something.

With regard to the character designs that were being criticised, at least they try to retain everyone's individual characteristics from the manga.

And it's not like JC Staff has consistently put out trash.
Old 2009-03-11, 02:13   Link #29
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

In my opinion, the character designs aren't better or worse. Just different. I'll wait until I adjust to the change before I make my opinion.
I'm concerned about JC Staff's curse with second seasons than anything else, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
However, if they plan to do so, then alot of developments which have already happened "don't fit" anymore. Like for example Hina realizing that she likes Hayate. Like for example Hina and Ayumu getting to know each other. All this stuff "doesn't fit" already, and I'm worried if they will just "drop" it like they did in S1, in exchange for more unsubstantial fluff.
I don't really see how they can't fit those in the story. Since she didn't know why she was embarrassed at the thought of meeting Hayate in the OVA, I'm assuming JC Staff is setting it up so that she gets embarrassed like she was before her birthday. Wouldn't they be able to fit in those developments then?

I also don't see how Hinagiku and Ayumu getting to know each other doesn't fit either, but I don't know how far that is in the manga and if I'm that far yet.
Old 2009-03-11, 05:12   Link #30
delacroix01
Whatever

Hinagiku and Ayumu do know each other. Read the manga in raw and you'll see.
Old 2009-03-11, 07:38   Link #31
Mentar
Banned

No, they do not know each other in the manga at the anime-related point of time. That's pretty much key.

Spoiler for Key scene from the manga:

This whole arc is spanning dozens of chapters and is _the_ backbone of the Hayate manga. And it was completely omitted in the anime so far. I hope/pray that it will be animated in the second season (and there are a couple of indicators which make me feel hopeful), but for it to work out, it needs to be kicked off SOON. And unless they're rewriting the story significantly, they must not

1) develop the Hina/Hamster relationship any sooner

2) develop Hina's own interest in Hayate any sooner.

That's my concern.
Old 2009-03-11, 10:27   Link #32
justsomeguy

If I remember the first season correctly, a whole bunch of episodes and events will have to be retconned to bring the anime back to the manga plot.
Closed Thread