AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-31, 04:08   Link #81
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Depends on how she finds out.

If she's simply told she could do that stuff, she'd call the person a liar.
If something unusual were to happen in front of her, she'd get excited, but either wouldn't make the connection or try to rationalize it.
If she is deliberately shown what she can do... Hmm... If we're talking right away, I don't think there'd be any problems. Basically, she'd probably do the same sort of thing a little kid would do if they were told they could have anything they wanted in a toy store. However, anyone in that position is bound to take advantage of the situation at some point.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-08-31, 04:09   Link #82
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonbob0008 View Post
Okay, here's a question or you guys. There's no wrong answer, but your answer will likely show your opinion about Haruhi's character. Here it is:

What do you think would be the first thing Haruhi would do if she found out about her powers?
Take over the world... then the galaxy... and then the universe... all the while waving the SOS-dan flag.
Old 2009-08-31, 04:11   Link #83
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

The ability to do whatever you want, to change whatever you want, just by thinking it, is a power almost outside the bounds of human conception.

She'd probably go insane, eventually.
Old 2009-08-31, 04:15   Link #84
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Oh, I forgot to add... then move to a parallel world and rise and repeat.
Old 2009-08-31, 04:21   Link #85
Nukerjsr
Baka Inu~

Send a message via AIM to Nukerjsr
I think she would then test it, to see if it is really true. And after that happens, she'll probably spend a long time contemplating to herself about her life.

Then...it's hard to call. I think aliens, espers, and time-travelers would start to influx into everyday life and Haruhi would take the time to know every single one of them in spectacular ways. Like a shonen show.

Same question to you, JonBob.
Old 2009-08-31, 05:43   Link #86
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Okay, here's a question or you guys. There's no wrong answer, but your answer will likely show your opinion about Haruhi's character. Here it is:

What do you think would be the first thing Haruhi would do if she found out about her powers?
I think that she'd infuse the world with all sorts of bizarre alien creatures, and super powered folks. In a way, maybe this is what creates the DC comic book universe, lol.

In time, I suspect one or both of two things would become clear to Haruhi...

1) The above is wrecking serious havoc on the world (some of the bizarre alien creatures and super powered folks are causing massive destruction and possibly loss of life).

2) Now the unusual is starting to seem boring to Haruhi.

Either way, I suspect that Haruhi may create a safer pocket universe, of sorts, from which she could safely watch the exciting exploits of her creations, while her own universe remains stable.

How long the above continues before inescapable boredom sets in... who knows? Perhaps ironically, I could see Haruhi eventually wishing to have memory of her powers removed, and we're right back at Square One...
Old 2009-08-31, 05:45   Link #87
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Leading to another timequake!
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2009-08-31, 05:59   Link #88
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk

I honestly can't imagine what she'd do if she found out, really. Maybe she'd lose all grounds in reality..

THe thing is, if she really starts giving up on this world and creates a new world... And that world will get boring at some point as well.. And she creates a new world again.. And again and again.. Because she'd never be statisfied - If you're a god, everything "weird" will someday be boring, so you'll think up new stuff, until that gets boring.. And so on..

Maybe someday reality itself will fall apart because Haruhi snapped.
Old 2009-08-31, 06:09   Link #89
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

If it was just told to her straight away, IMO, she'd go:
Quote:
No way! But this seems like a good idea for a movie. Yeah!
Now, where have I seen this before?

Honestly, I believe she'd refuse to use it to "cheat" her way through, I guess. Having no unknowns in your life is pretty boring. Speculation on what happens next... would be
Spoiler:
Old 2009-08-31, 06:11   Link #90
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Send a message via MSN to Jonbob0008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukerjsr View Post
Same question to you, JonBob.
I technically already answered this question in my fic.

I think she'd find or create some aliens, time-travelers and espers and hang out with them.

Now let me restate that this is the FIRST thing I think she would do. That's not the same as what she would eventually do.
Old 2009-08-31, 06:14   Link #91
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Quote:
I think she'd find or create some aliens, time-travelers and espers and hang out with them.
... So are you implying she already knows?
Old 2009-08-31, 14:26   Link #92
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
Leading to another timequake!
Oh boy. Crack theories:

a) Haruhi knew about her powers before 3YA, and that event was her removing her knowledge of them after becoming tired of them, nothing more.

or b) 3YA acts as an E8-like "respawn point", and Haruhi has found out about her powers, whether due to Kyon or not, many, many times before. After every time, she ends up returning the universe to 3YA so that maybe this time, things will turn out differently. So yeah, the entire series is a time loop like E8.
Old 2009-08-31, 15:02   Link #93
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
The ability to do whatever you want, to change whatever you want, just by thinking it, is a power almost outside the bounds of human conception.

She'd probably go insane, eventually.
Yes. I figure if she found out about her powers in a way where she didn't immediately dismiss the announcement as being entirely outside the bounds of logic, one would have a very tiny window in which to act before she becomes uncontrollable, uncontainable, and unstoppable. Somewhere between the time she finds out that she has powers and the point she subconsciously realizes that there's no way she's going to be able to handle her powers on purely human hardware and starts hijacking more and more of the universe's free energy and matter to handle her fast-expanding consciousness.

This could be what "closed space" is. It's just that the only thing really stopping her from undergoing an unstoppable recursive consciousness-expansion-unto-godhood is that she's constrained by not knowing and her fundamental goal of "Don't break my own common-sense," which she has rewritten the local laws of the universe to be compliant with (i.e., she spawned intelligent, autonomous agents (the Espers) whose compulsion it is to prevent Haruhi from witnessing anything that would conflict with that core goal of hers, and to shut down her ascent-to-godhood process whenever it tries to start up.)
Old 2009-08-31, 16:36   Link #94
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk

And how would she react if Kyon said "I am John Smith" ?
Old 2009-08-31, 17:36   Link #95
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takamura Mamoru View Post
And how would she react if Kyon said "I am John Smith" ?
Spoiler:
Powered Haruhi would believe Kyon from the moment he told her. Immediately removing her "not knowing" constraint and her "Don't break Haruhi's common-sense" constraint. The unstoppable ascent to godhood would probably begin the moment Kyon finished filling her in. In short, Outside Context Problem for the whole universe.

Poor Kyon will probably be reincarnated as a Humanoid Interface when the resulting Haruhi Integrated Thought Entity of the universe to follow gets bored and starts looking for its own key to "auto-evolution."

Here's an epileptic tree:

Spoiler:
Old 2009-08-31, 18:05   Link #96
Triple_R
*Author

I... think some people may be over-estimating how Haruhi would react to learning about her powers. Haruhi's by no means the first "mortal mind" in fiction that would come to knowingly hold such incredible power. I don't recall any of them going insane through sheer knowledge of their powers... I don't see why Haruhi would either.

Anybody here familiar with Marvel Comics' early 90s Infinity Gauntlet story? Or DC comics' Emperor Joker story? I mean... good grief, if the Joker can handle this, I should hope that Haruhi can.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2009-08-31 at 18:37.
Old 2009-08-31, 18:28   Link #97
GDB

Joker and Thanos were already somewhat insane. Thanos was in love with Death, the literal persona of Death, and we all know the deal with Joker.
Old 2009-08-31, 18:41   Link #98
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Joker and Thanos were already somewhat insane.
And Haruhi isn't?

I mean, you have to be at least a touch crazy simply in order to stand up in class, and loudly proclaim that you're not interested in normal humans, but that you would love to hear from any aliens, espers, time travelers, or sliders.

It's really cool that you're familiar with the Infinity Gauntlet though. It's a classic for me that I really enjoyed.
Old 2009-08-31, 18:54   Link #99
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I... think some people may be over-estimating how Haruhi would react to learning about her powers. Haruhi's by no means the first "moral mind" in fiction that would come to knowingly hold such incredible power. I don't recall any of them going insane through sheer knowledge of their powers... I don't see why Haruhi would either.
The thing is, unstoppable ascent to godhood would be one of the sane things to do in this circumstance (the other being to completely and utterly de-power herself in such a way where it is convincingly shown that she is no longer a threat to the future or the fabric of spacetime itself.)

Haruhi holds power that most gods would be envious of. If she were to become aware of her power, she immediately becomes the most dangerous entity in the whole universe (regardless of whether or not she actually intends to do anything dangerous.) A universe where the next step up is "nigh-on-omnipotent data entities who are more than capable of crushing everything she knows and loves like so many ants" or "representatives of her species' own future who, while considered by data entities to be primitive, are still likely to be dangerous and powerful beyond modern comprehension." So, once she becomes aware of her powers, her only two choices are to either give up that power completely, or embrace it completely.

To embrace it would be to go on a mental self-improvement recursion binge to godhood, rewrite the universe and use all that power to endlessly recurse through simulated universes where she's free to modify every variable she can think of to make things interesting. Maybe she and the SOS-dan would be active participants in each one. Or they'd transition over to the new universe as factions in a universe-spanning data entity. The resulting being would be utterly alien to us, but entirely in possession of her sanity.
Old 2009-08-31, 18:57   Link #100
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Don't forget Orihime and Hikoboshi. Assuming they were the ones responsible for Haruhi's powers, they're probably a fair bit more powerful than she is.
Closed Thread

Tags
characters