Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-12-07, 22:36   Link #81
CuXe
Loving Romeo X Juliet

Quote:
Originally Posted by saya_leviathan View Post
Another PV worth 2 minutes plus Carry My Wayward Son. Idk, this version sounds weird.
.....I am wet .......... lulz!
CuXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-09, 09:14   Link #82
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by otakudude303 View Post
Oh, right. Duh. Any word on who's voicing him. If not, please let it be Norio Wakamoto.
Norio may be too bombastic for someone with a "tranquil and insidious evil" like Azazel. Norio would be, imo, more convincing as Crowley.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-09, 12:34   Link #83
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
In my eyes this will be the greatest fail of american adaptations yet. Supernatural does not have much of a story or innovation in storytelling, it is repetitive and episodic most the way, yet it will pit against Higurashi, a multi-angled, multi-faced, multi-symbolic anime with KILLER LOLIS.

Supernatural does not stand a ghost of a chance as I see it. It will just prove once again how good adaptations are not cool americans going anime. It is about killer lolis good storytelling, immersion, and funky otaku culture. Something that the core series lacks so an adaptation to a different culture will only be worse at any rate.

...But a Doctor Who adaptation on the other hand... Now that's more like it; you can't mess up if Daleks are involved.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-09, 12:38   Link #84
Kafriel
Senior Guest

^ Surprisingly enough I dropped Higurashi because of too many lolis I'm not expecting Supernatural to hit the top or anything, but it should be a decent adaptation...
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-09, 12:45   Link #85
roriconfan
Banned

^ All I am saying is that for most Underage Japanese Girls > American males

And the word decent is open to interpetation. If it was a cartoon, ok. But anime? Come on! Spiderman with huge eyes fighting nekomimi goth lolita Catwoman just does not compute.
Old 2010-12-09, 13:08   Link #86
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Spiderman with huge eyes
He already HAS huge eyes
Quote:
nekomimi goth lolita Catwoman
That's a total japanese theme, while SN is supposed to be a "western" anime, i.e. no overly common anime tropes like loli/shota/PowerOfNakama/etc.
Old 2010-12-09, 14:11   Link #87
roriconfan
Banned

Ok then, let's try to see this more clearly.

Iron Man is for most a metal suit fighting mechas and other super villains. Yet the anime used monster of the week enemies with zero personality. Even cartoon from 10 years back had more variety and story than that. And not many cameos either.

So here we have Supernatural, a series most watch because Dean kicks ass. Will having the exact same thing in anime work equally the same? What other trademarks does this series have? I dropped it early on so I am not sure it even has any.
Old 2010-12-09, 16:20   Link #88
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Hmm, season 1 has a hell of an ending, it really picks up after ep.11 or so iirc. Also, Iron Man was a sequel to the second movie, this is an adaptation of the original material if I'm not mistaken...we will be seeing "monster of the week" for a while here too, but what comes after that is what I want to see animated
Old 2010-12-09, 16:38   Link #89
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Hmm, season 1 has a hell of an ending, it really picks up after ep.11 or so iirc. Also, Iron Man was a sequel to the second movie, this is an adaptation of the original material if I'm not mistaken...we will be seeing "monster of the week" for a while here too, but what comes after that is what I want to see animated
The Monster of the Week aspect is one of the things that have drawn me to the series, like it did for X Files.

Just to remind you that tropes are NOT a bad thing, the monster of the week comes with awesome character chemistry between the brothers and random pop culture references that are delightful for the nerds like me, which is again one of the things that have also drawn me to X files. Thus, while in X Files you see Scully being perpetually skeptical, and calling out Mulder on his lunacy, you see Dean constantly trying to poke fun at Sam.

Then there is the myth arc that can make or break the series. Back in the day, I have given up on X Files because the myth arc have gone on for too long for my tastes, and too frustrating. Supernatural's myth arc have known when to stop, and the series would have ended well on the conclusion of the fifth season, should TV executives have not their word to say about it and make the series continue (I don't know how the current season will conclude, but the 6th or 7th have FINALLY shown the point of this sixth season, because as much as I love Supernatural, I think the the fifth season finale was very good and satisfying).

I am not sure what roriconfan is raving about again (he is on my ignore list), but seeing your reply, I can only guess he is #1. playing the AWESOME PSYCHIC WHO CAN FORESEE FAIL WHEN HE SEE IT. Or. #2. whining again about tropes, but I feel like adding 0.02$ against people who whines about a show about two brothers hunting monsters having Monster of the Week formula, which is as silly as others whining about mecha anime having mecha.
Old 2010-12-10, 00:45   Link #90
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Norio may be too bombastic for someone with a "tranquil and insidious evil" like Azazel. Norio would be, imo, more convincing as Crowley.
Wakamoto should voice God.

...No really, why not? Just because he doesn't actually appear in the original doesn't mean they can't do it for the anime ?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-10, 01:56   Link #91
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
In my eyes this will be the greatest fail of american adaptations yet. Supernatural does not have much of a story or innovation in storytelling, it is repetitive and episodic most the way, yet it will pit against Higurashi, a multi-angled, multi-faced, multi-symbolic anime with KILLER LOLIS.

Supernatural does not stand a ghost of a chance as I see it. It will just prove once again how good adaptations are not cool americans going anime. It is about killer lolis good storytelling, immersion, and funky otaku culture. Something that the core series lacks so an adaptation to a different culture will only be worse at any rate.

...But a Doctor Who adaptation on the other hand... Now that's more like it; you can't mess up if Daleks are involved.
You said in one other post that Supernatural doesn't much of a story but yet you said you dropped it early on?

Supernatural has a prettty good overarching arc that last several seasons. To be fair the show doesn't really get going till the middle of the first season and finally towards the end of the first season gets to the meat of the story. From than on the show has been non stop awesome.

Oh and ever heard of Cowboy Bebop? That series was fairly episodic and yet it was great if not one of the greatest anime ever made. Would love to see more series like that. You can have your silly Underage Japanese Girls anime.

Quote:
The Monster of the Week aspect is one of the things that have drawn me to the series, like it did for X Files.

Just to remind you that tropes are NOT a bad thing, the monster of the week comes with awesome character chemistry between the brothers and random pop culture references that are delightful for the nerds like me, which is again one of the things that have also drawn me to X files. Thus, while in X Files you see Scully being perpetually skeptical, and calling out Mulder on his lunacy, you see Dean constantly trying to poke fun at Sam.

Then there is the myth arc that can make or break the series. Back in the day, I have given up on X Files because the myth arc have gone on for too long for my tastes, and too frustrating. Supernatural's myth arc have known when to stop, and the series would have ended well on the conclusion of the fifth season, should TV executives have not their word to say about it and make the series continue (I don't know how the current season will conclude, but the 6th or 7th have FINALLY shown the point of this sixth season, because as much as I love Supernatural, I think the the fifth season finale was very good and satisfying).

I am not sure what roriconfan is raving about again (he is on my ignore list), but seeing your reply, I can only guess he is #1. playing the AWESOME PSYCHIC WHO CAN FORESEE FAIL WHEN HE SEE IT. Or. #2. whining again about tropes, but I feel like adding 0.02$ against people who whines about a show about two brothers hunting monsters having Monster of the Week formula, which is as silly as others whining about mecha anime having mecha.
Pretty spot on. Even the monster of the week are pretty damn good in this series. Supernatural has a nice mix of monster of the week and overarching arc on Sam and Dean's family and trying to stop the Apocalypse from happeing.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-10, 21:41   Link #92
Prodigy
Heartless

Quote:
Originally Posted by saya_leviathan View Post
Another PV worth 2 minutes plus Carry My Wayward Son. Idk, this version sounds weird.
Holy...This looks epic! Definitely going to watch this when it comes out.

I finally manage to catchup to the latest episode so I could watch the season finale tonight. It's on right now but I forgot about it.
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-11, 05:16   Link #93
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Quote:
Please. You clearly have NO fucking idea of what Supernatural is. Every single stories does not have to be OMFG INNOVATIVE, Eric Kripke clearly knew better what to do with Supernatural up to the season 5 finale (after which he quit) than YOU ever will.

Supernatural can hold on its own against Higurashi, thank you. Supernatural, outside the monster of the week aspect, is a tale of two brothers trying to stick together through the challenges thrown at them by supernatural forces that have other plans for them.

Only those who have WATCHED the series have grasped this simple yet compelling underlying thread. Something that you have NOT.

Quote:
You are implying that Supernatural have NONE of the three qualities ? Please, take off those critic snob goggles, kick your bias to the curb and WATCH THE FIVE SEASONS! Then you can fucking talk.

Supernatural did not have killer lolis. It had, on the other hand, a creepy loli. But telling who she is would be a spoiler for someone who had not watched the series, hint: someone like you. Supernatural, in despite of its "ololol cliche monster of the week formula lololol", still managed to tell a good story in the metaplot that spanned over the five seasons, again Kripke knew what he was doing. Finally, it was filled with cleverly used pop culture references that were easter eggs for nerds who had an interest in myths and legends. Not otaku culture, geek culture.

Quote:

So here we have Supernatural, a series most watch because Dean kicks ass. Will having the exact same thing in anime work equally the same? What other trademarks does this series have? I dropped it early on so I am not sure it even has any.
Dean kicking is ONE of the appeals of Supernatural, there is plenty of other things in the series that draw the audience in.

You want trademarks?

- The interactions between the brothers
- Dean or Sam or the series poking fun at whatever fad of the year (Twilight, CSI, etc...)
- The good old salt (fans knows what I mean)
- The Winchestermobile (actually really relevant to the metaplot)
- Seeing the brothers regularly beaten badly by Monster of the Week and still making it through, which is one of the reasons why the Monster of the Week aspect is NOT boring.
- How much more miserable Dean really is on the inside.
- The angst, AGAIN NOT A BAD THING AS IT SOUNDS.
- How much more miserable the lives of the Winchesters will turn out to be as more points of the metaplot are revealed.
- THE ROCK MUSIC! You can't have a Supernatural episode without awesome rock classics.

Supernatural is a show that have found its own identity when pitted against Buffy or Angel, which is one of the things I want from a series.

The strikes against Supernatural are:

- The yaoi fangirls, it is hard, as a heterosexual male, to calmly explain why you like the series when the FANDOM have such annoying fangirls.
- The negative image it appears to have outside USA, maybe because it is AMERICAN, maybe because it appears like another childish monster series, but clearly there seems to be a negative perception working against Supernatural outside USA.

Bolded part: You have instantly invalidated EVERYTHING you have said and shown everyone WHY it is so damn frustrating to talk with you.
Old 2010-12-11, 05:26   Link #94
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
- The angst, AGAIN NOT A BAD THING AS IT SOUNDS.
Quote:
- The interactions between the brothers
The last season's been pretty bad at handling these two points, mainly because it feels like a rehash of the previous seasons (I won't get into details but I'm sure you know what I mean).
Quote:
- How much more miserable the lives of the Winchesters will turn out to be as more points of the metaplot are revealed.
This is why I love SN Every season delves deeper into the characters, and with all the stuff they're going through, the ending is bound to be no less than awesome.
Adding a couple of trademarks, the humour from season 4 onwards which really evolves into another form of comedy, and...nvm can't mention the other one w/o spoiling the fun.
Old 2010-12-11, 05:42   Link #95
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
The last season's been pretty bad at handling these two points, mainly because it feels like a rehash of the previous seasons (I won't get into details but I'm sure you know what I mean).
I do know what you mean.

Spoiler:

To elaborate on the spoiler tagged point, it is something I tend to do too. Because #1. Pride. #2. I am afraid I could hurt those dear to me, if I did otherwise.

Quote:
Adding a couple of trademarks, the humour from season 4 onwards which really evolves into another form of comedy, and...nvm can't mention the other one w/o spoiling the fun.
Humorous for us and embarassing for the Brothers. I think that the peak of the humor from season 4 to now is that episode of Supernatural, title "Changing Channels".

Last edited by Sheba; 2010-12-11 at 13:25. Reason: word omission
Old 2010-12-13, 09:53   Link #96
SemperMalum

You know what? As long as they keep:

1. The classic rock music
2. the main characters are ALWAYS the brothers and recurring characters never overwhelm the screen time for absolutely no reason at all or for a reason that deviates from what the story is REALLY about and is just meant to create stupid drama for the sake of filling in an entire season's worth of episodes (Valkyria Chronicles anime... I'm looking at you Faldio)
3. The main -MAIN- story arcs from season 1-5
4. Some of the monster(s) of the week stuff
5. The hilarious interactions/parodies (Prankster, anyone?)

Then I will respect the adaptation and even give it a try.
SemperMalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-13, 11:11   Link #97
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
3. The main -MAIN- story arcs from season 1-5
I'm afraid this one is too much to ask.
Old 2010-12-13, 13:58   Link #98
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

just started watching the TV show and I hope this one good as live-action version
Old 2010-12-19, 00:15   Link #99
SemperMalum

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
I'm afraid this one is too much to ask.
Ultimately, I think it is.
SemperMalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-19, 05:20   Link #100
margafred
ლ(́◉◞౪◟ ◉ ლ )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
- Seeing the brothers regularly beaten badly by Monster of the Week and still making it through, which is one of the reasons why the Monster of the Week aspect is NOT boring.
Certainly agree with this, especially if it is...

Spoiler for heh:

doing the job to beat the brothers upside down.

Man... i juz love the epic time loop and Alice in the Wonderland story. Cracked me the hell out of it
margafred is offline   Reply With Quote