That is an adorable cover.
Agreed!
Top Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 07:32   Link #6182
Marina2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
BD/DVD Volume 5 cover art:

So, the next volume will be Maho and Erika....
Old 2013-04-11, 09:13   Link #6183
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Hmm...

SPEM

Yum...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerklein View Post
I think you miss an "R" letter :-".
That was in Strike Witches, spelled as such, as a Bland Name Product version of, well, you know.

Quote:
I heard rumors, but witnessing the real thing is a vastly different experience. I have learned my lesson and quite speechless.
You cannot speak because of the blood loss?
Quote:
Yes, but I was making a simple comparison of equipment, which are pretty much the same hardware despite the way they are utilized in their respective verse. Last time I checked, the shells in GuP aren't paintballs. What does this mean? It means a crossover may be feasible. Thats all.
Well, either way one cast has to have new characters because of the 60-70 year time difference between the series. Which would mean that Mako's grandmother is at least in the right age bracket... (brain explodes)

And now for something more fishy:
Images
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=34933359
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 09:27   Link #6184
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

What's so fishy about the image? Anzu cooks as a hobby, and she was even able to salvage a burnt barbeque into something awesome

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 09:49   Link #6185
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Negated by the scenes that follow Miho's jump, where we see the tanks again very close to each other, and their distances not that great. Also, if the current was strong enough to push the tanks, they'd push them against each other, not away from each other.
Spoiler for For Length:
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 09:52   Link #6186
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
BD/DVD Volume 5 cover art:*snip*
We're doing the Yalta Conference by proxy now I see!
Old 2013-04-11, 10:06   Link #6187
rocket
Senior and Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
Observations don't lose their validity just because a fully satisfactory theory hadn't been formed.
I dunno, in my experience the visual production of any story are often extremely sloppy with regards to continuity ... even from shot to shot.

You have two choices on what to believe:
1) Part of this show is that the girls are literally superhuman.
2) Events are exaggerated for dramatic impact.

Given that there's nothing else in the show that celebrates or emphasizes #1 outside of the context of an actual battle #2 seems like the more likely choice to me.

To quote myself:
Quote:
It seems that for every debated or controversial aspect of GuP if you try and draw logical conclusions from what's presented on screen as some kind of 'fact' you'll have to cherry pick some facts over others to even approach any kind of coherent picture. Worse, most of the time just about any set of facts you pick (the distance between tanks in the river?) will contradict what the story is very clearly trying to tell you.

This is not unique to GuP (most fictions will creak at the seams) but because it's mashes up such diametrically opposed elements (realistic WWII tank action with heart-full slice of life Japanese girls high school melo/micro-drama), the seams are large enough to drive a Maus through.

From the dialog, the facial expressions, the cinematography, and the sequence and timing of events, it seems very clear to me that the creators of GuP are trying to tell us:

The "school being disbanded" is actually a "your club is being shut down" level problem. It's bizarrely expressed in the GuP-verse thanks to a combination of "Absurdly powerful student council" and the Macross-city ship envy of the creators. The stated threat "city closure" should dramatically have involved all students as well as the gov and populace being involved not just in trying to find a solution, but at least cheering on the Ooarai Tankey team to "save our town!" Instead everything from the implausible secrecy involved to the way the town spectators are given equal screen time (less maybe?) to the vanquished team spectators, frames the contest emotionally as a drama about the sport and the school team's comeback story. When Miho finally feels the weight of responsibility - it's to her teammates, not the town. When the audience is first inducted into a sense of dread about the yet-to-be-revealed-secret, it's through the school antics remembrances of the student council. Facts be dammed, they'll say one thing, but the show wants you to care in a very specific way.

It's no different really than the carbon armor 'fact' that justifies the entire show, not really accounting for the fact that the girls spend way too much time unbuttoned to be actually "safe". The stated facts of the show say one thing, just enough to lull you into suspending disbelief about the plausible safety of Tankery as a sport. However what the program really shows you is "actually Tankery is completely safe (aside from drowning)."

Ultimately this is a question of how you choose to approach any story - when faced with a seam in the cloth of the "fabrication" (see what I did there?), what do you do?
- Do you reject the thing whole cloth? (the author completely failed to generate any suspension of disbelief)
- Rationalize the story from the details that you like? (you find the artifacts of the story are more compelling than the plot)
- Stick with the story and ignore the cracks? (successful suspension of disbelief)
Or to put it another way it's like watching Star Wars and coming away with the impression that the Rebel Alliance are a bunch of murderous thugs because when they blew up the Death Star there must have been thousands of innocent government contractors working on it by an analysis of the size of the thing. Technically your logic may be irrefutable given what's shown on screen (for the sake of argument) but it's very clear from the story that point is the Alliance are a bunch of scrappy heroic liberators.
Old 2013-04-11, 10:28   Link #6188
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
So, the next volume will be Maho and Erika....

The Iron Lady would've approved that cover.
Old 2013-04-11, 10:49   Link #6189
arkhangelsk

OK, just one more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket View Post
I dunno, in my experience the visual production of any story are often extremely sloppy with regards to continuity ... even from shot to shot.
Without expanding the argument, I'll just say the moment you start to compare the different distances of tanks in different scenes, try to analyze or counteranalyze why the tanks were opening or closing in the visuals ... etc, you are accepting the visual evidence as valid. It is a little too late IMO to back away just because you don't like the visually-depicted result.

Quote:
- Stick with the story and ignore the cracks? (successful suspension of disbelief)
You seem to think that this is the "best" option, but here you run a risk. The thing you ignored as a "crack" might actually have been a detail. For example, before Ep11, you might term all the little hints that KMM isn't as good as it is hyped to be as "cracks". Yet in Ep11 it starts to blossom in full glory, and it would have looked much cruder if they hadn't put those little "cracks" in beforehand. In fact, if they hadn't prepared the field like this, I might well have joined Willx.
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 12:25   Link #6190
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Knackwurst View Post
Well, either way one cast has to have new characters because of the 60-70 year time difference between the series. Which would mean that Mako's grandmother is at least in the right age bracket... (brain explodes)
Nah, a simple time paradox would do.

During a match, GuP girls were sucked into an alternate dimension...

Yukari: Hey look... SPEM!! *Woot!*

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 12:29   Link #6191
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Nah, a simple time paradox would do.

During a match, GuP girls were sucked into an alternate dimension...
I don't know if I should post a clip from Yukikaze, a clip from The Final Countdown, or "The Final Countdown."
Old 2013-04-11, 12:58   Link #6192
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Knackwurst View Post
I don't know if I should post a clip from Yukikaze, a clip from The Final Countdown, or "The Final Countdown."
Bah, they do that in Macross all.the.time.

When not vaporizing planets, the UN Spacy do time travel as a hobby.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 18:07   Link #6193
Gravitas Free Zone

The GuP arrangement of Panzerlied with the vocals from Battle of the Bulge:

Old 2013-04-11, 19:28   Link #6194
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Alright. I am done with the translation of Academy Ships. It is a wall of text. I will answer any question best I can. May Yukari be with me. It's on 4chan as well.

Summary:

1. Phoenicians were the ones that got into teaching over high seas.
2. Phoenician became Carthaginian, got defeated by the Romans.
3. Rome didn't do much with academy school, but Julius Caesar did some legionary trainings with his fleet.
4. The Saracens didn't do academy school either.
5. Venetian did, but those were ad-hoc and meant to be a stopgap measure until land based schools can be built.
6. The British started dedicated academy ships to train nobles that were sent to rule oversea colonies.
7. British became the model standards for academy ship development. Retired ships would become academy ships, and a school would be a squadron of such ships.
8. France was the only one with purpose built academy ship, by interwar years.
9. Japan got into the academy ship game, built the giant Ooarai ship after WW2.

@Endless Knackwurst: I've been waiting for that Panzerlied muxing for a while now!

Spoiler for long translation:

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Last edited by panzerfan; 2013-04-12 at 19:24.
panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 21:45   Link #6195
Gravitas Free Zone

I just ran across a YouTube video of a WoT attempt to replicate the Infamous Maus Hetzing. Spoiler: The attempt fails.
Old 2013-04-11, 22:27   Link #6196
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

I coulda told the, that. First time i saw a Maus I rammed it with my Bt-2. I died.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 22:29   Link #6197
Gravitas Free Zone

They actually failed more on the "climbing" part. Anyway, it's out there.
Old 2013-04-11, 22:54   Link #6198
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
I now wonder if perhaps it was enough to cause the tanks to slowly drift apart, widening the gap...
It's a river, so unless you have 40+ tons or so, the position will be affected, either by the water itself or the shifting of the river bed.

But most importantly, the scene itself was dramatized, so we know that if we match up the pictures the distance was less than two meters.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 00:32   Link #6199
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Sooooo. Would the Galaxy-class USS Enterprise count as a future model for an Academy ship with its families on board and the ability to train new Star Fleet personel?

It is a little small, but this is deep space, and unlike the gigantic Ooarai on a peaceful ocean, Enterprise is suppose to be in unexplored space (British model?)
Old 2013-04-12, 00:45   Link #6200
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

You're right. It would be possible to connect Star Trek to that of Girls und Panzer.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, gup, original anime, slice of life, sports, tanks