AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-04-17, 12:21   Link #221
mysterious

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
You also forgot that she is not dressing the part. Those mismatched clothes are being shown on her for a reason.

Even the food choices at lunch that they did were contrasting. She had the expensive main dish and side vegetables. He took the inexpensive lunch. And seating position is impt. Friends and future couples sit at the same table (beside or across from each other). She chose a position that forces him to look up to her which I thought was weird.
*facepalm* Seriously, are you looking into things too much? I rewatch those scenes where they interact with each other several times and could not pick up on anything that suggesting she is leading him on. They all look like the NORMAL conversations between friends.
mysterious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 15:27   Link #222
broken270
Defying gravity

Spoiler:
broken270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 18:00   Link #223
Used Can

Quote:
Watched Utena a long time ago. I don't think it would hold up well nowadays which is prob why Nozomi is releasing it in the US. Otaku tastes have changed.
Otaku tastes regarding the "purity" of women have always been the same.
Utena just happened to be different. There's also the fact it is a shōjo. However, for some reason, it happened to become popular, despite the girls not being "pure".

But, either way, there's also Star Driver, which was also written by Enokido and played some similar gimmicks.

I'm also sure that manga like Good Ending and Kimi no Iru Machi have their own popularity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I disagree. The interview available hints her role will have some importance, especially when the shenanigans of the Financial District begins to affect the real world
Oh my bad. I've also just checked the anime's official site, and she's there.
So, I think she'll play some role.

Quote:
Unlikely IMO. Mashu is part of a fantasy world, and I doubt the anime is going to embrace that world by the end of the series. Either Kiminaro will get burned because of it, or he'll manage to get out of the "contract" and go back to being normal, but with a renewed outlook on life.
Maybe, maybe not. As I've already said, I don't think this anime will focus on any form of romance.

But, personally, I find the discussion over the fact Hanabi having a boyfriend to be very silly and immature. So, I'm dropping that subject.
Old 2011-04-17, 18:49   Link #224
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

Soooo pretty.... I can't wait for the next episode!
SquirrelLuvsPnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 22:14   Link #225
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
First episode was too boring, I hope they won't waste those beautiful character design, then again it is noitamina
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 06:51   Link #226
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist

This type of Hanabi talk is starting to bore me... but I see an idea on Kimimaro wihtin such talk.... He is the one who distances himself from Hanabi, eh? That's an interesting thought.... *also noticed the sitting positions*

All the comparisons on Utena is making me very curious about it. I wish I can start to marathon it soon~

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
It's been a while since I've posted. I thought that the first episode was interesting and very watchable, although it does not have the allure that other series like Tatami Galaxy and Honey and Clover had for it even at its very first episode. I think the Yu-gi-oh-ish battle during the first part and the cards themselves eerily reminded me of a YGO-ripoff. I'm sure that while Kenji Kamiyama didn't have that in mind the similarities simply evinced themselves.

Masakaki is very interesting and I simply love Takahiro Sakurai in roles like that. That's why I argued that C is like the postmodern Mononoke, as there are obvious likenesses between Masakaki and Medicine Seller. The creepy vibe of the Financial District also seemed like one of Kusuri-iuri's exorcisms. It's just my two cents, though.
I also don't think that [C] has the allure of Tatami and H&C's first episode. I also see Masakaki strikingly similar to Medicine Seller. But though [C] does seem like a Yu-Gi-Oh! rip-off, I don't think it is such at all despite the similarities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelLuvsPnut View Post
Soooo pretty.... I can't wait for the next episode!
I agree! I am so curious on what Mashu's gonna be like =3
From the promo images alone, she makes him make.. amusing/cute expressions xD I'm sooo excited to know what their interactions are gonna be like~
sapphire-pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 11:12   Link #227
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
And but the way, I don't think Hanabi is rich, and I don't think she ever claimed that either. She only said she was going to college on her family's money, but you don't need to be rich to pay college. So her clothes don't seem that important to me.
IIRC she said "her father's money" so supposedly "money" is around. Most people in the US get student loans on top of what the family can chip in. Don't know about the Japanese system. However, her clothes don't fit. Her rich appearances are kept up by her food selection. So at least we agree on the point that Hanabi is not rich.

Won't know anymore until more about her is shown.

Waiting to see what Mashu's like also.
Old 2011-04-18, 11:25   Link #228
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Her rich appearances are kept up by her food selection.
Rich appearances with a 700 yen meal?? Seriously...

She isn't rich, and her food doesn't indicate that either, at all. Plus, the fact that one of the two unnamed classmates suggests she wouldn't go to that drinking party due to lack of money indicates they all know she isn't rich.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2011-04-18 at 11:35.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 11:25   Link #229
JediNight
キズランダム

Watched Ep1 this weekend: Faustian Yugioh with credit cards?

I like the setup so far. Not seeing the "terrible animation" I kept hearing about but w/e.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 12:33   Link #230
orion

Quote:
Rich appearances with a 700 yen meal?? Seriously...

She isn't rich, and her food doesn't indicate that either, at all. Plus, the fact that one of the two unnamed classmates suggests she wouldn't go to that drinking party due to lack of money indicates they all know she isn't rich.
Yes seriously. 700 yen = $8.44. For a college student, you'd expect them to spend less. That was what the implied meal price comparison was for. To show economic differences between those 2 (MC and Hanabi).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
I like the setup so far. Not seeing the "terrible animation" I kept hearing about but w/e.
I didn't think that the animation was that bad either. The BDs will prob be awesome I bet.
Old 2011-04-18, 12:52   Link #231
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Yes seriously. 700 yen = $8.44. For a college student, you'd expect them to spend less.
I disagree. 700 yen is a normal meal. It's pretty much what I spend when I eat at college, and I'm not even close to being rich.

Quote:
That was what the implied meal price comparison was for. To show economic differences between those 2 (MC and Hanabi).
To show that Kimimaro is poor compared to the average student like Hanabi, not that she's rich or anything like that.
Old 2011-04-18, 12:59   Link #232
viperdk1
The Colour of Magic

Just watched this. Certainly a very interesting anime - sorta gives out a "money is power" vibe (part of me that is sort of true in some countries in real life).

Masakaki sorta reminds me of a cross between Sebastian from Kuroshitsuhji and the Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland - knowledgable and skilful but completely psychotic at the same time.

Hanabi was cruel to wait for Yoga to pretty much ask her out before telling him she had a boyfriend - a rich boyfriend at that, if Masakaki is to be believed. I personally believe that Hanabi is either going out with him just for the money - or that the parents of the two are business owners and intend to use the two of them as pawns to help merge them together.

The second one sounds strange, granted (and probably very unlikely given my response to the quote below) - but it's hardly impossible to consider.

Looking forward to Episode 2 - can't wait to see this Mashu for the first time (mrow lol). Also very curious about the 'Financial District'.

Quote:
Yes seriously. 700 yen = $8.44. For a college student, you'd expect them to spend less. That was what the implied meal price comparison was for. To show economic differences between those 2 (MC and Hanabi).
700 yen (Hanabi) = £5.14. That's pretty similar to what I pay myself for food.
200 yen (Yoga) = £1.48. That's cheap - very cheap.

I'd say that Yoga is very poor and Hanabi is somewhat on the average - hence why (if Masakaki is to be believed) she is going out with a rich man.
viperdk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 13:08   Link #233
konart

Quote:

I didn't think that the animation was that bad either. The BDs will prob be awesome I bet.

$8.44 in one country(even city) != $8.44 in another.
While I was in univercity my average dinner was about the same, and it was FAR from being rich

And I really can't imagine what you can buy on 200 yen(68 rubles here)...A sandwich and a cup of tea at most.

But, well, yeah - it shows the difference pretty well
Old 2011-04-18, 17:54   Link #234
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Or the surprised look could be that she didn't think that he actually had money and she let him go prematurely.
I doubt it. Wasn't there a conversation between them that went somewhat like this:

Kimimaro: I don't have the money.
Hanabi: You have it. You just don't use it.
Kimimaro: I'm saving up for my future.

(Not verbatim. Quoting from memory, here, so I might misremember.)

Basically, I think Kimimaro has more money than his spending suggests, but is from a "poor" background, so that he's terminally afraid of not having enough. He does probably have less than others, but the main point about him is his conservative spending policy.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 17:59   Link #235
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnstorm View Post
I doubt it. Wasn't there a conversation between them that went somewhat like this:

Kimimaro: I don't have the money.
Hanabi: You have it. You just don't use it.
Kimimaro: I'm saving up for my future.

(Not verbatim. Quoting from memory, here, so I might misremember.)
I remember the conversation to be something like this. The important thing is Kimimaro is implied to have more money than his two part-time jobs would lead a person to believe. Yet Hanabi may simply be guessing about Kimimaro's worth, because the viewers saw his bank account balance. I believe it was around 8000 yen, which is about 100 US dollars. But someone fix me if I misremember as well. Of course, Kimimaro may not be depositing his yen into the bank either.
Deconstructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 18:09   Link #236
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deconstructor View Post
I remember the conversation to be something like this. The important thing is Kimimaro is implied to have more money than his two part-time jobs would lead a person to believe. Yet Hanabi may simply be guessing about Kimimaro's worth, because the viewers saw his bank account balance. I believe it was around 8000 yen, which is about 100 US dollars. But someone fix me if I misremember as well. Of course, Kimimaro may not be depositing his yen into the bank either.
Nope, you're right about this. Living in Tokyo is insanely expensive, and wages in Japan are pretty low, so I'm not surprised he has no money despite having two part-time jobs.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 18:22   Link #237
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deconstructor View Post
Well, mainly I'm going by what Kimimaro says in response to Hanabi: something about saving. I thought that implied that he did have the money (for the one event), but that using it would be borrowing from his future. [And I'd not expect savings to be on the account you use for expenses; something with better interest perhaps?]

But, yes, his bankaccount does seem to have a pretty low balance.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 19:51   Link #238
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
$8.44 in one country(even city) != $8.44 in another.
While I was in univercity my average dinner was about the same, and it was FAR from being rich

And I really can't imagine what you can buy on 200 yen(68 rubles here)...A sandwich and a cup of tea at most.

But, well, yeah - it shows the difference pretty well
True but to me that's prob the amount spent on supper and not lunch. I was brought up differently.

You can buy a McDonald's meal (Big Mac, fries, medium soda) for $5.19 plus tax in the US. We have food options that can go cheaper.

McDonalds Japan seems to have some 200 yen items on sale for a limited time. Sukiya, a competitor is also having a sale. Even Sukiya has competitors. So it's not like a cheaper menu isn't available.

Last edited by orion; 2011-04-18 at 20:08.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-18, 20:08   Link #239
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
You can buy a McDonald's meal (Big Mac, fries, medium soda) for $5.19 plus tax in the US. We have food options that can go cheaper.
Thanks to the dollar being weak against the euro right now if you'd take the same meal in France today you'd pay over 8 dollars.
That's why comparing from country to country doesn't seem like a good idea to me,prices differ between countries and the conversion rates are always changing.

edit: saw your edit,nice research
Old 2011-04-18, 20:10   Link #240
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Thanks to the dollar being weak against the euro right now if you'd take the same meal in France today you'd pay over 8 dollars.
That's why comparing from country to country doesn't seem like a good idea to me,prices differ between countries and the conversion rates are always changing.
I did a simple cost conversion of yen to dollar and applied life experience to the situation. I also gave some Japanese examples (McDonalds Japan and Sukiya). So basically, her meal was expensive imo.

I'd actually pack my lunch instead of spending $8.

Tags
action, finance, noitamina