AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2013-08-04, 21:02   Link #10421
maplehurry

I am ok with culture club. But imho, any sort of race club only makes sense when they are disadvantaged.
maplehurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 22:17   Link #10422
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

4-year-old mayor is re-elected in northern Minn
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...08-04-21-47-58
Old 2013-08-04, 23:50   Link #10423
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
We talked about a white or European decent club in High School with the idea that no matter what, it would be dubbed as "racist" instantly. Even in California.
The question is, do they allow Black, Asian and Latino into that club. And are they just fighting for the right of white people, who frankly does not face any disadvantage (in comparison)

Fairly certain my uni's Japan club back in uni got all sort of ethnicity. Same to the Malaysian club which my friend attended for free BBQ. But they are more on cultural promote group rather than actually "civil right" promotion

Edit: was just planning to make a joke, but i simply couldn't find any stereotypes related to white people that does not have notion of racist and discrimination in some way. It's like (stereotypical speaking) the only reason for a group of all white people to gather, is to put on their white hood and go out hunting some poor black soul. Untrue of course. But it is simply really hard to find any other stereotypes

Last edited by risingstar3110; 2013-08-05 at 00:45.
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-05, 00:26   Link #10424
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

We had a whole spectum of clubs in High School because we had a new rotating hour long study block that no one had any idea what to do with. So we had clubs...lots and lots of clubs. African-American Club. Latinos club. Muslims Club. Filipino Club. I think a Hindu club, maybe an Afghan club, and probably a whole bunch others that I don't remember (along with a Gaming Club, and a Earth Club and others).

A group of us in the band just thought about it one day and figured that there was no way anyone could attempt a white club for any reason, as it would automatically be considered racist in the mid-1990s. Reguardless of what we did, because the idea would be out there as "Whites Only"...which has very racist meaning still.
Old 2013-08-05, 00:36   Link #10425
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
The question is, do they allow Black, Asian and Latino into that club. And are they just fighting for the right of white people, who frankly does not face any disadvantage (in comparison)

Fairly certain my uni's Japan club back in uni got all sort of ethnicity. Same to the Malaysian club which my friend attended for free BBQ. But they are more on cultural promote group rather than actually "civil right" promotion
In the article, they are essentially a reactionary movement born out of the festering sentiment that minorities have gained too much of an edge due to affirmative action, campus diversity, and the threat of immigration reform.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-05, 00:57   Link #10426
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
In the article, they are essentially a reactionary movement born out of the festering sentiment that minorities have gained too much of an edge due to affirmative action, campus diversity, and the threat of immigration reform.
Which is probably at the very least fall in discriminate categories (if not racist)? For example, immigrant reform. It's not like immigrants were taken away from their country and forced to stay in the States against their will. So there's no reason to fight for their right to... well. being kept out of the country, right?

In that sense these clubs must be there to fight for their own right. Not for the general public, but specifically WHITE citizens as they identify themselves.

But if that is the case, surely it will be racist, if you blame/believe that you or your country are in disadvantage because the existence of another ethnic group (without being discriminated yourself).
Old 2013-08-05, 01:10   Link #10427
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

They have a point that affirmative action discriminates against them.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-05, 02:31   Link #10428
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Either way, it is a good chance to make money and let Mother Nature sort them out.

I am sure not just Colt can make everyone equal.*sarcastic*

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-05, 07:44   Link #10429
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Edit: was just planning to make a joke, but i simply couldn't find any stereotypes related to white people that does not have notion of racist and discrimination in some way. It's like (stereotypical speaking) the only reason for a group of all white people to gather, is to put on their white hood and go out hunting some poor black soul. Untrue of course. But it is simply really hard to find any other stereotypes
That's because it usually IS racists who rally under the all inclusive banner of "white heritage". If you were to ask most non racist white people what they thought their heritage as being, most would probably list a specific European country, or even a number of different European countries as being their cultural heritage. This is a much more plausible way to address white Heritage than to act like it was all inclusive. Does it really make sense for someone from a Greek family to act like they share the cultural heritage of someone from Germany?

It doesn't make all that much sense to talk about unified white heritage. Any sort of unified identity that developed in America wasn't based on whiteness, but rather being American, unless you happen to be trying to use it as a way to distinguish white people from people of other races. That's the reason many people find it suspect.

That's a pretty weak justification compared to African Americans, who can make a more plausible claim to having a unified cultural heritage. Even though their ancestors came from all over Africa, they ALL got indiscriminately tossed into slave ships and sent to America. Where as White immigrants got to form ethnic neighborhoods to retain their ethnic identity, African slaves all got jumbled together into the same social category of dark skinned slave. It's why most African American's identify as black, as opposed to a specific region in Africa.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-05, 15:22   Link #10430
maplehurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
imo, AA for college based on economic status would have a better argument than diversity.
maplehurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-05, 20:50   Link #10431
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Tagliani pays off wager with beaver-suit stunts
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...08-05-15-32-06
Old 2013-08-06, 02:05   Link #10432
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
That's because it usually IS racists who rally under the all inclusive banner of "white heritage". If you were to ask most non racist white people what they thought their heritage as being, most would probably list a specific European country, or even a number of different European countries as being their cultural heritage. This is a much more plausible way to address white Heritage than to act like it was all inclusive. Does it really make sense for someone from a Greek family to act like they share the cultural heritage of someone from Germany?

It doesn't make all that much sense to talk about unified white heritage. Any sort of unified identity that developed in America wasn't based on whiteness, but rather being American, unless you happen to be trying to use it as a way to distinguish white people from people of other races. That's the reason many people find it suspect.

That's a pretty weak justification compared to African Americans, who can make a more plausible claim to having a unified cultural heritage. Even though their ancestors came from all over Africa, they ALL got indiscriminately tossed into slave ships and sent to America. Where as White immigrants got to form ethnic neighborhoods to retain their ethnic identity, African slaves all got jumbled together into the same social category of dark skinned slave. It's why most African American's identify as black, as opposed to a specific region in Africa.
This, pretty much.

"white identity" reeks of racial motivations, while similar black organization can be an African heritage identity. I mean, really, culturally and historically, white nations don't exactly identify each other as one common root or identity.
Old 2013-08-06, 12:10   Link #10433
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Newsmaker: Jeff Bezos, tech pioneer to turn media baron

Quote:
(Reuters) - Jeff Bezos, founder of Amazon.com Inc and soon to be the new owner of the Washington Post, is one of the few chief executives in corporate America who refuse to bow to Wall Street's quarterly profit demands.

Since starting Amazon in 1994, he has frequently upset investors by spending heavily on long-term investments, even if it means missing analysts' financial targets and sending the e-commerce giant's stock price plunging.

Bezos' approach makes him well-suited to own a storied but deeply troubled newspaper business like the Washington Post. Away from the harsh glare of Wall Street, Post employees can expect an intense boss, but one who will likely not demand to see immediate financial returns from his $250 million acquisition.

"The Post has got itself a patient, exacting and imaginative owner which are attributes its journalists should welcome with open arms," Mike Moritz, a partner at Sequoia Capital and a former journalist, said in an email.

Bezos, 49, who is buying the Washington Post as a personal investment for $250 million, has funded an eclectic array of ventures through an entity called Bezos Expeditions, including the business news website Business Insider and Twitter, the messaging service.

He has not previously expressed deep interest in newspapers or journalism, though Amazon's forays into electronic books, tablet computers and television programming have placed it squarely in the media business. By his own description, he is a voracious reader of newspapers.

"He's long valued the written word and authors," said Tom Alberg, a managing director of the Seattle-based Madrona Venture Group and a board member of Amazon.com. "There's a danger of long-form journalism being on the decline. He takes a long-term view."

RETAIL REVOLUTION

Bezos' journey, both literal and figurative, from a successful stint on Wall Street to the suburban Seattle garage where he launched Amazon.com is one of the famous founding stories of the dot-com era.

From modest beginnings as an online bookseller, Bezos and Amazon branched out into almost every product category available, ending up taking on established retail giants such as Wal-Mart Stores Inc.

Under Bezos, Amazon launched the Kindle e-reader and revolutionized the way books are distributed and read. The company has also been a pioneer in cloud computing - a trend that has begun to turn the traditional IT business on its head.

More recently the company has moved into grocery delivery and begun experimenting aggressively with same-day delivery services. That experience could come in handy at the Post, given that production and distribution of printed newspapers remain the company's central business.

Despite its success, or perhaps because of it, Amazon has been a target of critics who say it is helping to destroy Main Street retailers and creating a new class of low-wage workers in its rapidly expanding network of distribution centers. In Seattle, locals have complained that the company is stingy with its philanthropy.

Yet an Amazon warehouse in Tennessee was a featured stop last week on President Barack Obama's economic policy tour, with the company announcing that it was hiring 5,000 more workers with pay and benefits that were better than those of most retailers. Amazon has also won over some critics by giving up its long-running opposition to sales taxes on online purchases.

ELECTRIC PRESENCE

Bezos has described himself as "stubborn" many times and likes to spend heavily on long-term projects while sharing few details with analysts and investors.

In person, the wiry, close-cropped Bezos is an electrifying presence. At Amazon's annual shareholders meeting, one of his rare public appearances, he answers often difficult and confrontational questions with brief intensity.

Politically, he has been mostly low-profile. He made waves with a $2.5 million donation to the campaign for a Washington State ballot measure supporting gay marriage, but otherwise he has given sparingly, and mostly to home-state Democrats.

His personal interests sometimes run to the exotic, such as the Blue Origin private space program and a plan to build a clock that will keep time for the next 10,000 years.

John Battelle, a veteran journalism entrepreneur and chief executive of Federated Media Publishing, ascribed Bezos' purchase of the Post to simple motives.

"I think a guy reaches a certain age, has money, realizes that stuff like what the Washington Post does is important, and figures he has the brains and the money to figure it out," said Battelle. "Not the first, won't be the last."
I really don't think that he is going to do much good to the media world, but if he is going to start brainwashing us into reading more books with his new media tool, I am totally for it.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-08-06, 12:15   Link #10434
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Well, let's see if he can brainwash me into finally reading light novels, I don't know the reason but I just can't get myself into them
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 12:26   Link #10435
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
Well, let's see if he can brainwash me into finally reading light novels, I don't know the reason but I just can't get myself into them
Images
For you, this should be a better motivation
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Old 2013-08-06, 12:52   Link #10436
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Images
No.... must not give in..... that blue rose around her neck.... that executive chair.... those mini skirt delicious thighs....AH! A book in one hand to smack me around with, and that feather pen to poke me, I'm so reading her books
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 13:00   Link #10437
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

I that a SwordGirls picture?
I am sure I know that girl. Darklore!
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-06, 21:11   Link #10438
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Utah man accused of running speakeasy from garage
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...08-06-16-41-52

NJ cop makes unexpected bust in store bathroom
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...08-06-14-49-22
Old 2013-08-07, 03:25   Link #10439
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Images
MINE!

/Toss her over shoulder and run away.
Old 2013-08-09, 13:42   Link #10440
Ridwan

First America loses its place as most obese nation and now its losing its monopoly on idiots!

Tags
humor