AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Attack on Titan

Notices

Old 2013-04-23, 09:14   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

This thread is for those of you with questions about the Attack on Titan anime or manga. There are many questions that don't need a whole thread to discuss them. A simple practical answer straight from the anime or manga without any speculation can solve these connundrums. If someone has such a question about Attack on Titan which can be solved by answering with facts from an official source, then please ask that question here.

Please don't post in this thread unless you are asking a question or answering one. Please remember that it only takes 1 person to answer a question. And don't speculate! You can only reply with cold, hard, merciliessly unforgivable facts. If you have to speculate, then please just tell the querrant that no answer is known, but here are some facts that might help him make up his own mind.

Make sure you use spoiler tags if your question is about the anime, manga, or any non-anime source. Untagged spoilers are risking a ban. There are two ways to create clearly marked spoiler tags, as shown in the following:

The easy way: By simply clicking on this icon which can be found in the Quick Reply or Reply to Thread template. This is how I create spoiler tags.
or
The macho way: By using those uber vB codes as shown in the following...

Spoiler Tag Example
[spoiler=title, i.e. your reason for the spoiler tag]Don't forget to use a title for the spoiler![/spoiler]
...becomes...
Spoiler for title:
Kairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 01:48   Link #2
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

In which magazine the manga is serialized?, and if the chapter releases are weekly or monthly?
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 03:26   Link #3
Iron Maw
Banned

Bessatsu Shōnen Magazine and it's monthly.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 05:45   Link #4
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Say, just to clarify. Does "Attack on Titan" means something like "Relentlessly Attacking Titans"?
Old 2013-04-28, 05:55   Link #5
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Say, just to clarify. Does "Attack on Titan" means something like "Relentlessly Attacking Titans"?
No, it is just bad Engrish.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 15:04   Link #6
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Removed all talk on fansubs, AoT is licensed so discussing why certain fansubs do something isn't allowed.

I do actually have a question, how old is everyone suppose to be after the time-skip? Someone today told me 12. Looking for confirmation.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 15:14   Link #7
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Removed all talk on fansubs, AoT is licensed so discussing why certain fansubs do something isn't allowed.

I do actually have a question, how old is everyone suppose to be after the time-skip? Someone today told me 12. Looking for confirmation.
They are initially 10, after the first timeskip (where they start training) they are 12 and they then graduate 3 years later, meaning Mikasa, Eren and Armin are currently 15.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 16:01   Link #8
Iron Maw
Banned

This is essentially everyone's ages as well other stuff at the present:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

They are ordered by their rank in the top 10.
Old 2013-04-28, 18:28   Link #9
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
They are initially 10, after the first timeskip (where they start training) they are 12 and they then graduate 3 years later, meaning Mikasa, Eren and Armin are currently 15.
Ok that makes more sense, the person I was talking to today made it seem like she was 12 now, I was like.....O_O.

@Iron Maw, thanks for the image.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 22:36   Link #10
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
This is essentially everyone's ages as well other stuff at the present:

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

They are ordered by their rank in the top 10.
Just curious, where did this image come from?
Ignoring the guys, I just find that the weight is really off for the girls. Most of them look like they are on the heavy end. Most girls would consider themselves as extremely fat at 68 kg, even for that kind of height.

Moreover, even if they are training as soldiers and gaining muscle mass, it still seem to be too much, or at least from the drawings
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 22:40   Link #11
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
Ignoring the guys, I just find that the weight is really off for the girls. Most of them look like they are on the heavy end. Most girls would consider themselves as extremely fat at 68 kg, even for that kind of height.

Moreover, even if they are training as soldiers and gaining muscle mass, it still seem to be too much, or at least from the drawings
Have you seen how ripped Mikasa is? All muscle baby.
Old 2013-04-28, 22:48   Link #12
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Seriously Mikasa weighs a lot more than you would expect from a girl of her height that isn't fat.

But Reiner and Berthold aren't joking either.

That apart I can't help by being bothered by how Annie's and Christa's heads are so small compared to the others. Clearly the chara designer didn't consider their heights when he drew them.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-29, 00:33   Link #13
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Seriously Mikasa weighs a lot more than you would expect from a girl of her height that isn't fat.

But Reiner and Berthold aren't joking either.

That apart I can't help by being bothered by how Annie's and Christa's heads are so small compared to the others. Clearly the chara designer didn't consider their heights when he drew them.
Not sure whether you are trying to be objective or it's coming from your perspective, but I'm neither. I'm saying that most Asian girls I know would consider themselves as 'fat' at that kind of weight. Not just 'fat' actually, but 'extremely fat'.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-29, 01:35   Link #14
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

There's something that has been piquing my curiosity about the gears the soldiers are seen wearing on their sides.

What is the purpose of the boxes they carry on both their left and right sides?

If we add the weight of the belts plus the boxes, how much weight (estimated) the soldiers are capable of carrying?

I mean for the soldiers to carry that much equipment without losing mobility and speed either the equipment is made of a lightweight material or the condition of the soldiers themselves is above that of a human.

That second option I doubt it, because as far as I've seen into the anime there are no indications or hints to suggest or imply bio-augmentation is on the works.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-29, 01:48   Link #15
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
There's something that has been piquing my curiosity about the gears the soldiers are seen wearing on their sides.

What is the purpose of the boxes they carry on both their left and right sides?
The boxes contain their detachable blades. Chopping through titan flesh rapidly wears down the blades, so the soldiers carry several spares.

The lines and grapples are apparently stored in the drum container you see attached to the small of their backs. I noticed that, in Ep4, the anime presents the drum differently from the manga. I don't know if that's intentional.

Quote:
If we add the weight of the belts plus the boxes, how much weight (estimated) the soldiers are capable of carrying?
For comparison, the modern infantry soldier carries as much as 20kg (44 pounds) of gear and ammunition into combat. I would expect that the soldiers of this story carry about as much weight.

Quote:
I mean for the soldiers to carry that much equipment without losing mobility and speed either the equipment is made of a lightweight material or the condition of the soldiers themselves is above that of a human.
You'll find that, in most cases, it isn't actually the weight that is the issue, but ergonomics. Well-designed equipment will spread its weight evenly across a soldier's body, making them easier to handle in normal movement and combat.

The design of the 3DMG isn't completely implausible, although I strongly suspect that the line and grapple will be highly prone to potentially life-threatening jams. As for their swords, to me, they are highly improbable. A detachable blade with such a short tang is highly unlikely to be able to withstand the huge amount of stress impact it is apparently subjected to. The pin that keeps the blade attached to the hilt would have to be impossibly strong to withstand the shock each time a soldier slashes across a hard object.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-29, 10:32   Link #16
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Just off another forum. Actually, there was similar image posted here but it only had the weights shown and the characters on the bottom weren't there.

Quote:
Ignoring the guys, I just find that the weight is really off for the girls. Most of them
look like they are on the heavy end. Most girls would consider themselves as extremely fat at 68 kg, even for that kind of height.

Funny enough, these numbers are probably still reasonable compared a some other shows I've seen.
Old 2013-05-04, 11:56   Link #17
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Anyone know the status of the live action movie?
Old 2013-05-04, 12:05   Link #18
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Anyone know the status of the live action movie?
Last I heard they are missing a director so it's likely pretty stalled till they find a new one.
Old 2013-05-04, 12:08   Link #19
Accelolita_

Quote:
Not sure whether you are trying to be objective or it's coming from your perspective, but I'm neither. I'm saying that most Asian girls I know would consider themselves as 'fat' at that kind of weight. Not just 'fat' actually, but 'extremely fat'.
But Misaka and the other girls are not Asian so why should they weight like an Asian girl would
(or does "Annie" and "Christa" and "Sasha" sound Asian to you?)

Also, it is said that weighing as much as your height (without the 100 of course, so for example 170 cm = 70 kg etc) is ideal (saw that on TV once in some kinda report/documentary-something).

I would say their height/weight balance is okay and normal for European, and really, I'm sure most people would agree with me that the setting is more of a European-like setting
Accelolita_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-04, 15:30   Link #20
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelolita_ View Post
But Misaka and the other girls are not Asian so why should they weight like an Asian girl would
(or does "Annie" and "Christa" and "Sasha" sound Asian to you?)

Also, it is said that weighing as much as your height (without the 100 of course, so for example 170 cm = 70 kg etc) is ideal (saw that on TV once in some kinda report/documentary-something).

I would say their height/weight balance is okay and normal for European, and really, I'm sure most people would agree with me that the setting is more of a European-like setting
Spoiler for Manga Mikasa's Race Clarification:
but yeah, everyone else is Caucasian more or less.

Last edited by chaos_alfa; 2013-05-04 at 16:25.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annie, attack on titans, q&a, titan