AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

View Poll Results: Hyouka - Episode 19 Rating
Perfect 10 30 38.46%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 26 33.33%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 19.23%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 3.85%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 2.56%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.28%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.28%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-08-26, 21:47   Link #21
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Random note: This episode's original story was nominated in the 60th Japanese Mystery Writers' Association Awards (Short Stories category) in 2007. No story won in that category that year.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2012-08-26, 22:00   Link #22
linkinstreet
[Your] clan on Steam

Send a message via MSN to linkinstreet Send a message via Yahoo to linkinstreet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Random note: This episode's original story was nominated in the 60th Japanese Mystery Writers' Association Awards (Short Stories category) in 2007. No story won in that category that year.
Wait, is this "Original Story" implying it's original from the Hyouka novel or original from KyoAni?
Old 2012-08-26, 22:04   Link #23
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkinstreet View Post
Wait, is this "Original Story" implying it's original from the Hyouka novel or original from KyoAni?
The original short story was first serialized in Wilderness Era #37 (published 2006/11/11) and then collected in the fourth Kotenbu novel released 2007/10/03.

Old 2012-08-26, 22:28   Link #24
rulfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
re: previous comment. *applause*

Also, looks like my "Damn, I can't smile" icon is no longer funny.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Warning: Clicking above link may cause your tenuous grasp on reality to crumble as everything you thought you knew is shown to be wrong.
He gave of a true smile for once.
Old 2012-08-26, 22:37   Link #25
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I suppose the highest praise I can pay to Hyouka is this: not only can’t I think of another anime that would have been able to pull this episode off, I can’t even think of another one that would try.
Old 2012-08-27, 00:09   Link #26
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Damnit, I can't stop grinning even after watching the episode...

So this really would be the Shipping Arc as we joked about last week ?

Next week- Date Episode Number 3 !

EDIT:

Never would I imagine Chitanda to have that expression
Spoiler:
Old 2012-08-27, 00:13   Link #27
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by king12354 View Post
How does the paper indicate Oreki was right? It just said that the counterfeiter got arrested which may or may not be related to that theory.
He surmised that they'd called in the high school student in an attempt to trace where he might've gotten his bogus Benjamin (I'm sorry, 10,000 yen bill . . . which is about a C-note, so there.) Conveniently, the following day's newspaper shows they made an arrest in the bogus Benjamin counterfeiting case in the news at the beginning of the episode.

Since we are being shown this scene at the end of the episode, we are supposed to make the connection that Houtarou and Eru's theory from the afternoon before turned out to be 100% correct, even though they started out with Houtarou trying to come up with an arbitrary theory for an equally arbitrary scenario to show Eru that she can't always rely on his deductive skills.

Anyway, in this episode, we learn that Chitanda's affection for Houtarou only continues to grow. To the extent that she invites him to go visit her uncle's grave with her. She then proceeds to call him "amazing," regarding his deductive skills; and "modest," when he tries to push her away and fob it off on luck.

Only this episode, she isn't buying it. She tells him that, yeah, sure, luck might be involved . . . but there is a certain talent required to piece together seemingly disparate clues into a coherent theory. Even if he claims he doesn't know where he gets his theories since, as Chitanda points out, Oreki isn't the world's most introspective guy.

Oreki then decides to try to show Chitanda that someone can come up with some sort of B.S. theory for just about anything, hoping that she'll learn that she can't depend on him to solve everything. Conveniently, the P.A. supplies them with just the perfect scenario.

Interestingly, Oreki brings up his life's motto . . . and then dismisses it in the next thought. Showing Chitanda that there's a difference between actual talent, and lucky B.S. (and getting her to stop bothering him) is a goal worth expending energy for. If you think he keeps this in mind for the entire episode then . . . well, you've not watched this series very much.

This episode gives Chitanda something to do, besides be a moeblob. Here, we see her fill in for Satoshi "Database Man" very well, with her ability to recall and fill in details that Oreki can't be assed to remember. She also plays Mayaka perfectly. Her "Really? Try taking this seriously, you slacker," expressions are gold; as is her ability to point out things that Oreki misses. This proves key late in the episode.

Together (well, 70% Oreki, 30% Chitanda,) they come up with a working theory. Chitanda gets all dere-dere and points out to Oreki that the whole exercise started because he had something to prove. However, both of them have completely lost track of what that was. Oreki remembers the next morning . . . when it turns out their deductions were absolutely correct.

And, thus, the ship-tease between Oreki and Chitanda continues. This is another "not much happens" episode, and doesn't even have Satoshi or Mayaka in it . . . or anyone outside of Houtarou and Eru. Yet, for such a sparse episode, it was very enjoyable.

Eight bogus Benjamins out of ten.
Old 2012-08-27, 00:20   Link #28
rulfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Damnit, I can't stop grinning even after watching the episode...

So this really would be the Shipping Arc as we joked about last week ?
My cheeks hurt really bad while I was watched the streaming. I couldn't remove the silly grin off my face.
Old 2012-08-27, 00:56   Link #29
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

first impression of this episode will be : "ah! it'll be a boring episode... only two people talking from beginning until the end"

honestly, I love this episode.... I can't hold myself but laughing when I see Chitanda and Oreki's blushing face.... Oreki finally can smile.... and that scene when Oreki read the newspaper.. hahaha!!! you got a talent, boy! How come you can solve something like that with only sitting and chatting with your "future wife" (hopefully)
it's so funny if we think how Chitanda can push Oreki until he really use his best theory to solve the crime... although his first intention is to make some 'trolling bluff' for destroying Chitanda's expectation and hope toward him

Ship is sailing ~~~
Oreki should moving little forward when Chitanda approach him.... and we'll see a surprised kiss under sunset while alone in club room

preview : Date arc still continuing.... daaawww...~~ New Year episodeee
Old 2012-08-27, 02:09   Link #30
linkinstreet
[Your] clan on Steam

Send a message via MSN to linkinstreet Send a message via Yahoo to linkinstreet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post

honestly, I love this episode.... I can't hold myself but laughing when I see Chitanda and Oreki's blushing face.... Oreki finally can smile.... and that scene when Oreki read the newspaper.. hahaha!!! you got a talent, boy! How come you can solve something like that with only sitting and chatting with your "future wife" (hopefully)
Ah mon'ami, you don't need to do physical stuffs when you are investigating something, just rely on your little grey cells...
Old 2012-08-27, 02:24   Link #31
Lota

Ahhhh, that was a nice episode~

I was sitting the whole time like an idiot with a smile plastered on my face. I guess it's true that anything can be interesting if the writing is good, even a 20 min long conversation between two people just sitting in the classroom. Hyouka, I bow my head before you

Really, I have nothing but good things to say about this episode. And there was just so much of UST! Hope atleast some of it gets resolved in the next episode XD

P.S. Am I the only one who had missed Bach's cello suite and other classical pieces? They were featured earlier on, but then they disappeared. I was so glad to have them back again!
Old 2012-08-27, 03:03   Link #32
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkinstreet View Post
Ah mon'ami, you don't need to do physical stuffs when you are investigating something, just rely on your little grey cells...
well.... for me, I have to walk around in circle if I'm thinking about something

yeah! this episode is such a good one... I can sit and smile for 20 mins...
and it's only from watching conversation between two people
Old 2012-08-27, 03:17   Link #33
Blaat

The episode had too much Chitanda and Oreki and to make matters worse it looks like the next episode will have the same problem.
Old 2012-08-27, 04:15   Link #34
Divini
Senpai!

I have to agree with what most people have said so far. When the credits started showing I was pretty much thinking: "What 24 minutes passed already?!"
Old 2012-08-27, 07:14   Link #35
j4c06

A sweet episode, but the story itself is hardly believable. No sane person would fake the largest bill in circulation, let alone give it to an acquaintance...
Old 2012-08-27, 07:19   Link #36
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4c06 View Post
A sweet episode, but the story itself is hardly believable. No sane person would fake the largest bill in circulation, let alone give it to an acquaintance...
Depends of the country. In France and Belgium, we had cases of 100 - 200 and 500 euro counterfeit bills circulating years ago. So it isn't really that uncommon for such stunt to be done. It is even more likely people would use that within smaller scale, such like between individuals.
Old 2012-08-27, 07:36   Link #37
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
No way in hell was that 25 minutes! The vast majority of the episode is a single scene conversation between two characters, they cut the ED to fit it all in, and when it was over I still went "what, already?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divini View Post
I have to agree with what most people have said so far. When the credits started showing I was pretty much thinking: "What 24 minutes passed already?!"
“When you sit with a nice girl for two hours, it seems like two minutes. When you sit on a hot stove for two minutes, it seems like two hours that's relativity.” -Einstein

Indeed, this episode is amazing for exactly that reason. I don't know how they did it, but I too was totally surprise when I saw the first set of credits. This is a no ED episode as well. I mean, even the top episodes from my 10/10 series rarely accomplish this, if ever. I have to take my hat off to the staffs, especially Yonezawa-san and Gatoh-san.

For an episode that there is nothing happen but still manage to totally screw up my sense of time, I'll have to give it a 10.
Old 2012-08-27, 07:39   Link #38
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
Indeed, this episode is amazing for exactly that reason. I don't know how they did it, but I too was totally surprise when I saw the first set of credits. This is a no ED episode as well. I mean, even the top episodes from my 10/10 series rarely accomplish this, if ever. I have to take my hat off to the staffs, especially Yonezawa-san and Gatoh-san.
Yonezawa wrote the original story, but you should also give credit to Taichi Ogawa (episode director/storyboards) and Miyuki Egami (scriptwriter) for this episode. They were more involved than Gatoh was for this one.

Old 2012-08-27, 07:44   Link #39
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Yonezawa wrote the original story, but you should also give credit to Taichi Ogawa (episode director/storyboards) and Miyuki Egami (scriptwriter) for this episode. They were more involved than Gatoh was for this one.
Got it. Thanks of the info. Amazing job indeed. I'll have to start keeping track of these people.
Old 2012-08-27, 07:48   Link #40
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post
well.... for me, I have to walk around in circle if I'm thinking about something

yeah! this episode is such a good one... I can sit and smile for 20 mins...
and it's only from watching conversation between two people
Yeah, same here. If I'm thinking there is much pacing involved, not just sitting in place .

Just a purely enjoyable episode. Incredibly simple with two people just talking, but damn it was satisfying to watch.