AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2007-05-24, 18:32   Link #1
Hibiki

Seeking Experience

Greetings all. I came to these forums because I would like to try my hand at fansubbing/translation.

I've been studying Japanese on my own for a little over two years now. I by no stretch of the imagination consider myself anywhere near fluency, but I can follow most anime RAW, especially if I take the time to sit down and go over complex parts with a dictionary. Of course, it depends a lot on the theme of the show; my experience with Japanese is still very limited, so while I can understand something like "Jyu Oh Sei" perfectly, I can quickly become lost in things such as Jidaigeki or medical-themed dramas.

As far as subbing goes, I've only played around with "VisualSubSync," adding both transcriptions of the dialogue in Japanese and English translations.

In short, if the show doesn't have too technical of content, and there is a good quality checker whom I could consult with frequently, I believe I could do a decent job of translating. Ideally, I'd like to take on most of the work, but have someone more knowledgeable of the language to consult and check my work.

So, I'm not particularly skilled yet, but above all, I'm after the learning experience. I have time and a will to learn. I'd like to become familiar with translation, as well as other aspects of fansubbing. In the process, I also hope to make a few friends, and perhaps even idly improve my Japanese, so that in due time I will be knowledgeable enough to pursue my own projects* as well.

*In specific, I'm considering finding a good Jdrama with relatively normal Japanese, and subbing it both in English and Japanese, with notes of uncommon expressions and such that students of Japanese may find helpful. In this sense, it may serve as decent practice material. However, whether or not this would be a good idea is a question that I'm still pondering myself. Though it's a little off topic, I just thought I would mention this, as I am curious to hear other's opinions on whether or not it would be a good idea.

Well, I suppose that about wraps it up. If you are in need of a translator, have an active quality checker, and think I could be of help, please send me a message introducing yourself and what you're working on. I'm also interested in hearing any advice which anyone may find appropriate.
Hibiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-24, 19:10   Link #2
sangofe

Please check your pm inbox
sangofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-24, 21:01   Link #3
noreign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibiki View Post
*In specific, I'm considering finding a good Jdrama with relatively normal Japanese, and subbing it both in English and Japanese, with notes of uncommon expressions and such that students of Japanese may find helpful. In this sense, it may serve as decent practice material. However, whether or not this would be a good idea is a question that I'm still pondering myself. Though it's a little off topic, I just thought I would mention this, as I am curious to hear other's opinions on whether or not it would be a good idea.
I think it could become something interesting if carried out. I had a similar idea some time ago, but unfortunately I'm unable to pursue it myself. However, if you can do it, I think it would be worth a shot.
noreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-24, 21:06   Link #4
Medalist
Infie
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibiki View Post
Greetings all. I came to these forums because I would like to try my hand at fansubbing/translation.

I've been studying Japanese on my own for a little over two years now. I by no stretch of the imagination consider myself anywhere near fluency, but I can follow most anime RAW, especially if I take the time to sit down and go over complex parts with a dictionary. Of course, it depends a lot on the theme of the show; my experience with Japanese is still very limited, so while I can understand something like "Jyu Oh Sei" perfectly, I can quickly become lost in things such as Jidaigeki or medical-themed dramas.

As far as subbing goes, I've only played around with "VisualSubSync," adding both transcriptions of the dialogue in Japanese and English translations.

In short, if the show doesn't have too technical of content, and there is a good quality checker whom I could consult with frequently, I believe I could do a decent job of translating. Ideally, I'd like to take on most of the work, but have someone more knowledgeable of the language to consult and check my work.

So, I'm not particularly skilled yet, but above all, I'm after the learning experience. I have time and a will to learn. I'd like to become familiar with translation, as well as other aspects of fansubbing. In the process, I also hope to make a few friends, and perhaps even idly improve my Japanese, so that in due time I will be knowledgeable enough to pursue my own projects* as well.

Well, I suppose that about wraps it up. If you are in need of a translator, have an active quality checker, and think I could be of help, please send me a message introducing yourself and what you're working on. I'm also interested in hearing any advice which anyone may find appropriate.

I suggest working on a show ( maybe something easy and shounen ) that uses simple japanese or slang to shapen up your japanese skills I suppose.
Medalist is offline   Reply With Quote